• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SkillUp - two next-gen consoles releasing next month, but only one next gen controller. The #DualSense

Zuzu

Yes, the DualSense is in a league of its own when it comes to force feedback. But no way is it the only next gen controller when the Elite 2 exists. Back paddles and configurable triggers are just as big of an improvement to gameplay experience as haptic feedback and are guaranteed to work in every game unlike the bespoke haptic feedback of the DualSense. Also, the haptic feedback seems so incredible because Astro's Playroom is completely designed around it. Such big differences in haptics will most likely not be seen in a lot of 3rd party games which will not be designed to demonstrate this feature of the Playstation. The Elite 2's joystick feel (which is fantastic btw), joystick adjustment, build quality, probably its D-Pad, and its configurable profiles across different games, will also be superior to the DualSense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, the DualSense controller is one of the reasons why I decided to go with Xbox Series X as my primary gaming console for next gen. I despise the touchpad on PS4 and with PS5, they made it bigger (smh) and I have zero interest in all the gimmicky bullshit that developers will stop using within 12-18 months simply because it's not worth the time and resources to do so, just like the touchpad on PS4. If I wanted gimmicks, I would go with Nintendo. So thankfully, I will only have to use that controller 10-15 times at most for the entire generation. But to each their own.

jigglet

Banned
If the PS5's controller actually gets used (the new triggers), then I agree. However there's COUNTLESS examples of new innovations being used by a few first party games then that's it.

If it isn't used, then who gives a shit. It's another in a long string of industry ideas that gets tossed into the trash.

Hearing about fancy new controllers brings up happy memories of how controllers were more defining in the early days. SNES vs MD/Genesis... Being wowed by the original Dualshock, N64, Gamecube... and that's still skipping even earlier memories like Commodore, Atari, Amiga etc...

It's a shame that controllers are a bit homogeneous nowadays, at least this bucks the trend and gives us some much needed progress.

Tulipanzo

MS is making the exact mistake Sony did with PS3, where long-standing complaints about the controller were ignored and it got left behind by more advanced/new competition.

It's additionally really dumb marketing-wise, seeing how much more interest the Dualsense is generating.
Just adding paddles or any of the Elite advances would have fixed that, instead it's identical bar a share button (7 years too late) and a worse D-pad. Truly clueless.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Ah yes, the $180 controller is better than the $70 one. Who would have thought?

Idiots.
better materials? maybe but elite pads lacks all this new technology,also in my experience elite build qualty its very questionable for the price

Personally, the DualSense controller is one of the reasons why I decided to go with Xbox Series X as my primary gaming console for next gen. I despise the touchpad on PS4 and with PS5, they made it bigger (smh) and I have zero interest in all the gimmicky bullshit that developers will stop using within 12-18 months simply because it's not worth the time and resources to do so, just like the touchpad on PS4. If I wanted gimmicks, I would go with Nintendo. So thankfully, I will only have to use that controller 10-15 times at most for the entire generation. But to each their own.
that makes no sense at all,you choose a system becuase you dont like innovation on a controller? if they use good,if they dont use whats the difference? at least you will have choice,on the series x you wont have that,

Yes, the DualSense is in a league of its own when it comes to force feedback. But no way is it the only next gen controller when the Elite 2 exists. Back paddles and configurable triggers are just as big of an improvement to gameplay experience as haptic feedback and are guaranteed to work in every game unlike the bespoke haptic feedback of the DualSense. Also, the haptic feedback seems so incredible because Astro's Playroom is completely designed around it. Such big differences in haptics will most likely not be seen in a lot of 3rd party games which will not be designed to demonstrate this feature of the Playstation. The Elite 2's joystick feel (which is fantastic btw), joystick adjustment, build quality, probably its D-Pad, and its configurable profiles across different games, will also be superior to the DualSense.
nah i dissent,i have a elite and its a good pad,but the build quality its a joke,also i never have used the paddles,and im pretty sure haptic its gonna be much more mainstream than these,also the cost,you seem to forget the price of the elite 2,its a very niche thing,the dualsense comes with the system,its not a "option"

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
MS is making the exact mistake Sony did with PS3, where long-standing complaints about the controller were ignored and it got left behind by more advanced/new competition.

It's additionally really dumb marketing-wise, seeing how much more interest the Dualsense is generating.
Just adding paddles or any of the Elite advances would have fixed that, instead it's identical bar a share button (7 years too late) and a worse D-pad. Truly clueless.
Sure until they turn off the features in any competitive online game because it slows down response time. I can't imagine ever wanting to fight a trigger in a competitive situation.

Yoboman

Sure until they turn off the features in any competitive online game because it slows down response time. I can't imagine ever wanting to fight a trigger in a competitive situation.
You already have tension in the triggers on online games. By your logic triggers wouldn't be used at all

Tulipanzo

The "features", he says, then lists one he doesn't even understand. Some fanboys should chill

Zuzu

better materials? maybe but elite pads lacks all this new technology,also in my experience elite build qualty its very questionable for the price

that makes no sense at all,you choose a system becuase you dont like innovation on a controller? if they use good,if they dont use whats the difference? at least you will have choice,on the series x you wont have that,

nah i dissent,i have a elite and its a good pad,but the build quality its a joke,also i never have used the paddles,and im pretty sure haptic its gonna be much more mainstream than these,also the cost,you seem to forget the price of the elite 2,its a very niche thing,the dualsense comes with the system,its not a "option"

I simply can't agree with you regarding the poor build quality. The build quality of the Elite 2 is significantly more premium than any of the standard controllers on either the Xbox One or the PS4. The plastics, stainless steel joysticks, metallic paddles and rubberised grips on the Elite 2 is significantly better quality than the plastic shells and components of standard controllers. I will accept that the quality control of the manufacturing process for the Elite 2 is probably subpar because people are receiving faulty controllers, but for those Elite 2 controllers that are properly built, the build quality if significantly higher than standard controllers. Also, the paddles and other features are a game changer for many people including myself. I use them everyday because they are more intuitive and efficient to use than the face buttons in many games.

The price of the Elite is not relevant to the original argument. The original assertion in the OP said that only one console comes with a next generation level controller. Yes, technically that is true since the DualSense comes with the PS5 whereas the Elite 2 doesn't come with the Xbox. In that strict sense, then yes only the PS5 comes with a next gen controller. But I am arguing that the Xbox still has a very high quality first-party controller that does many things better than the DualSense. Therefore, to say that only one console comes with a next generation level controller is a bit of a stretch when the competitor already offers a controller that offers features that the DualSense doesn't offer. Effectively they are saying that only haptic feedback is the criterion for qualifying as a next generation controller.

Last edited:
Game changer for games in general, but third parties is where the impact will be felt the most. I can see people who own both consoles choosing the PS5 version of games due to implementation of these features......specially hardcore sports games players.

As for the Elite vs. Dualsense controller.

1st: the Elite is a niche controller, and not a massively adopted one like the Dualsense will be.
2nd: Elite's build quality is highly questionable (some would say crap) - which is why there is a class action suit against Microsoft over it. Warranty is a joke.
3rd: The internals are nothing alike. The triggers nor the force feedback on either are the same. There is a technology difference there. Rumble, vs. voice coil etcs...
4th: The elite is not supported in any unique way - what it does is provide remapping options, sensitivity options and additional buttons within the shell for a more tailor made experience.
5th: Price difference is quite significant.

My take? Microsoft will do a revision of the stock Xbox controller within 2-3 years at most with all of the DualSense parts in it, including a microphone, with the exception of the touchpad.

Last edited:
Sony fanboys really do big everything up to the max. This happened with the PS4 touchpad and it was relegated to a map button throughout most of the generation.

I do hope the resistive triggers are used well. It's one thing I would like on the xbox series controllers. But it's not the next generation defining feature that will cure cancer people are making it out to be.

Yeah that was the most interesting bit, a sony controller finally being on the same level of xbox controllers.
Hopefully the rubber in the sticks is not gonna melt after a while once again.
they said that about the DS4 as well and it failed.

for me none of those features mean a thing if i still have to deal with that layout.

GymWolf

for me none of those features mean a thing if i still have to deal with that layout.
Kinda with you, i vastly prefer asymmetrical sticks so no amount of gimmicks is gonna make the dual sense a better controller than my nacon revolution pro 2 or just a xone controller.

But a lot of people enjoy the symmetrical position so...

Sony fanboys really do big everything up to the max. This happened with the PS4 touchpad and it was relegated to a map button throughout most of the generation.

I do hope the resistive triggers are used well. It's one thing I would like on the xbox series controllers. But it's not the next generation defining feature that will cure cancer people are making it out to be.

From Reeeera. There are more details and implementations of the DualSense out there kept under wraps....this is just the easily documented from dev's mouths. This isn't a case of having an extra button or two.....or a re-mapping thing.

List of supported games

• Astro's Playroom -- Showcase game for the DualSense, expected to tackle all new features in innovative ways. Source.
  • Avengers -- The developers plan to support features like the Adaptive Triggers (AT) and Haptic Feedback (HF). Source.
  • NBA 2K21 -- AT simulate energy/fatigue and HF highlights collisions. Source.
  • The Pathless -- AT simulate the tension of the bowstring and HF helps with the timing of shots. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered -- Supports AT and HF. Source.
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition -- Supports AT (L2) and HF has different sensations for different weapons. Source.
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm -- AT simulate struggle. Source.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War -- Supports HF. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales -- HF showcases the Venom powers of Miles. Source.
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat -- Developers tease DualSense features. Source.
  • Ride 4 -- AT simulate gas and brake levers and HF showcases the vehicle's vibrations. Source.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- AT simulate multiple fire modes in weapons. Source.
  • Nour: Play With Your Food -- The developers plan to support features like the AT and HF. Source.
  • Deathloop -- AT block simulates weapon jam. Source.
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -- AT simulate recoil and HF offers "textured" nuances. Source.
  • Horizon Forbidden West -- AT is used to differentiate weapons. Source.
  • Demon's Souls -- HF showcases the force of bosses with a well-timed guard, gives feedback in well-timed parries and succesful attacks and spells. Source.
  • Godfall -- DualSense is utilized so the player can differentiate between weapons without looking at the UI and can locate enemies spatially via the controller. Source. More info.
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure -- AT simulate struggle as Sackboy carries objects. AT also present on the grappling hook. Source.
  • Gran Turismo 7 -- AT simulate ABS braking and HF is integrated with sound design. Source.
  • Hood: Outlaws & Legends -- The developers confirm full use of the HF. Source.
  • Heavenly Bodies -- Not gonna lie, it has a lot of things related to the DualSense, please give it a look. (Looks fun too!) Source.
  • Goodbye Volcano High -- HF conveys the difficulty of some decisions being made. Source.
  • Jett: The Far Shore -- The developers said the game has a strong focus on haptics. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Solar Ash -- The developers said the DualSense could give feedback they had not known was possible. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Bugsnax -- The developers promise the full use of DualSense features and say they are exploring multisensorial feedback, cites example of changes in terrain via HF. Source.
  • Maneater -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • DiRT 5 -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • Madden 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • FIFA 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Returnal -- AT switch between firing modes, supports HF. Source.
  • Watch Dogs: Legion -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Destruction AllStars -- AT gives different feedback for each car and HF simulates the impact of ramming. Source.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
best controller in gaming history - Dualshock 4 will be retiring next month.

and Dualsense taking the crown by huge margin. Dualsense will be king of the controllers for at least next 6 years.

Developers already says that implement Dualsense features is easy. Sony supplied them with tools to do it. COD developers says even that it would be very strange if other developers will not implement that how easy it is.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I simply can't agree with you regarding the poor build quality.

and fucking lol at the price not being relevantyou live in another reality son

the good thing its that is your opinion,millions of players have another

Last edited:

Zuzu

and fucking lol at the price not being relevantyou live in another reality son

If the lawsuit is successful, then I will agree with you that the build quality for the joysticks is poor. Until that lawsuit is successful, then I can't know if this is poor build quality that is universal to all controllers or if it's simply poor QA that affects only some controllers.

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
My take? Microsoft will do a revision of the stock Xbox controller within 2-3 years at most with all of the DualSense parts in it, including a microphone, with the exception of the touchpad.

That would immediately be called "leading from behind".
I think MS should stick to what the identity they have given to their console: the hardcore gamer's best machine.
The have DLI in the XSX controller, the console is a 4k60 machine and works as an xcloud server. All in all, it's all I need in a controller to play the most performant games in the most comfortable way.
That was their message and it's still good enough.
I'm getting the DualSense because I'm a gaming addict that wants all the experiences. But in Forza 8, all I'm after is 4k60 with RT, collision damage and tyre simulation with superb input latency. I dont need the triggers to block or the vibrations to move across the controller.

Last edited:

Hudo

Does the DuaslSense have better build quality? The DualShock 4 was mediocre at best albeit a significant improvement over the horribly built DualShock 3. I don't know what's up with Sony and their dive in build quality since the PS3.

Redlancet

Banned
If the lawsuit is successful, then I will agree with you that the build quality for the joysticks is poor. Until that lawsuit is successful, then I can't know if this is poor build quality that is universal to all controllers or if it's simply poor QA that affects only some controllers.
dont get me wrong,i like the elite ( the first one) but i haved to send two of them to microsoft i havent buy the second one for that reason,also this "myth" that microsoft hardware is very well build in my experience its laughlabe,i have send to ms 6 xbox 360,5 360 pads and two xbox x,so thats a good trackrecord i have,and i treat my systems with exteme care,well ventilated,etc

Zuzu

dont get me wrong,i like the elite ( the first one) but i haved to send two of them to microsoft i havent buy the second one for that reason,also this "myth" that microsoft hardware is very well build in my experience its laughlabe,i have send to ms 6 xbox 360,5 360 pads and two xbox x,so thats a good trackrecord i have,and i treat my systems with exteme care,well ventilated,etc

Fair enough, I've also had trouble with Microsoft consoles and their other controllers (but not my current Elite 2). I think they've improved over the years with their build quality, but given their track record it wouldn't be surprising if they've screwed up again.

GymWolf

Does the DuaslSense have better build quality? The DualShock 4 was mediocre at best albeit a significant improvement over the horribly built DualShock 3. I don't know what's up with Sony and their dive in build quality since the PS3.
We can only hope, i really don't trust journalists so i wanna test the improved quality by myself.

Xbox one pad was pretty trash in terms of build quality.
I feel like theyve been on a downward spiral in that sense, since the og xbox days.

Also I hate the front buttons. I miss the ones the og xbox and 360 pads had.

Trunim

I'm pretty conservative about my controllers. The less gimmicks, the better. Nintendo Wii ruined a lot of games for me with its fucking swinging and thrusting. I want minimal effort in terms or physical performance when playing my games.

And now I see some gimmick shit on Ps5 where you have to blow on your controller in order to spin some shit. Man come on.

Lone Wolf

I look forward to trying the Dualsense as I just can’t get used to the DualShock controllers. It was a major reason for sticking with Xbox As my primary system. I don’t think any Sony controller has gotten praise like this so we may just have a winner.

Krisprolls

Banned
I don't know if it's an American thing, but I find it very weird everybody here gives its opinion on dualsense.

It's not out, I mean, nobody knows. You'll have an opinion about it when you use it, not now.

People who used it are mostly impressed, that's all we know...

Opinions of people who never used it have zero value...

Lone Wolf

I don't know if it's an American thing, but I find it very weird everybody here gives its opinion on dualsense.

It's not out, I mean, nobody knows. You'll have an opinion about it when you use it, not now.

People who used it are mostly impressed, that's all we know...

Opinions of people who never used it have zero value...
Not everyone here praising it is American. Don’t know why you came to that conclusion.

Forsythia

The clickbait title makes me want to vomit, but it's good to hear Sony improved on their controller. Would be nice if that became the standard. It's a bit of a shame it isn't yet, because I expect it only to be fully utilised by PS5 exclusives. Maybe MS can incorporate this kind of stuff in an Elite 3 controller.

Trunim

Another thing, how long until we see a lot of broken triggers? A lot of people are going to press down on those triggers even harder when they resist. Is there like a mechanism that gives up if the pressure becomes to strong? And with time, just break?

Top Bottom