• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SkillUp - two next-gen consoles releasing next month, but only one next gen controller. The #DualSense

Krisprolls

Banned
Not everyone here praising it is American. Don’t know why you came to that conclusion.

That's not my conclusion at all lol. Ok, maybe it's not an American thing.

Giving an opinion about something you don't know, you never used and is not even released.

Shmunter

The clickbait title makes me want to vomit, but it's good to hear Sony improved on their controller. Would be nice if that became the standard. It's a bit of a shame it isn't yet, because I expect it only to be fully utilised by PS5 exclusives. Maybe MS can incorporate this kind of stuff in an Elite 3 controller.
Well I for one will be a DualSense activist. Games that don’t support it will be named and shamed. Join me. #DualSenseMatters

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Another thing, how long until we see a lot of broken triggers? A lot of people are going to press down on those triggers even harder when they resist. Is there like a mechanism that gives up if the pressure becomes to strong? And with time, just break?

Durability I think will be fine I think it will be the jarring for us jack hammer pressers with the lock out gimmicks. It is like expecting a stair and one is not there it will be jarring and not going to be pleasant. I think the new rumble, paddles and adjustable stick tension would of been the ultimate nextgen controller myself. I need my paddle to disable and remap the stupid stick click both Microsoft and Sony insisted on I hate and always accidentally do.

Hudo

We can only hope, i really don't trust journalists so i wanna test the improved quality by myself.
To be clear, I am not "just" hatin' on Sony. My PS1 and PS2 DualShocks still work perfectly (although they look used but hey...that's because they are used, lol). I had 3 DualShock 3 controllers die on me and they just feel cheaply built in general. Flimsy plastic that makes sounds when you grab it/push it. The DualShock 4 was an improvement. But I also had one die on me and it wasn't even that old. For a $70, I just expect a certain quality. And don't get me started on the PS4... if it weren't for the Sony logo on it, I would've thought that this was built by some random Chinese bootleg manufacturer. That console made so many noises during and after play (plastic expanding and retracting again due to heat, I guess?), let alone the goddamn loud fan.

MS is making the exact mistake Sony did with PS3, where long-standing complaints about the controller were ignored and it got left behind by more advanced/new competition.

It's additionally really dumb marketing-wise, seeing how much more interest the Dualsense is generating.
Just adding paddles or any of the Elite advances would have fixed that, instead it's identical bar a share button (7 years too late) and a worse D-pad. Truly clueless.

Interesting perspective.

I think the problem Microsoft could run into is that their generation-less approach leads to their new stuff never feeling as new as the competitions new stuff. So in this case, Xbox sticking with outdated controller technology could make the Series X feel like a last-gen product; even though the console itself has the capacity to deliver next-gen games.

We kinda saw this coming when the FUD around the PS5 not supporting the DS4 for PS5 games was spreading. If you're making a brand new next-generation console, you can't have the main input be a last-gen device. It's just an unbelievably short-sighted approach to tether a brand new $500 device to 10 year old+ tech.

Redlancet

Banned
Interesting perspective.

I think the problem Microsoft could run into is that their generation-less approach leads to their new stuff never feeling as new as the competitions new stuff. So in this case, Xbox sticking with outdated controller technology could make the Series X feel like a last-gen product; even though the console itself has the capacity to deliver next-gen games.

We kinda saw this coming when the FUD around the PS5 not supporting the DS4 for PS5 games was spreading. If you're making a brand new next-generation console, you can't have the main input be a last-gen device. It's just an unbelievably short-sighted approach to tether a brand new $500 device to 10 year old+ tech.
For the same people who laughted at Sony for using the moves for vr

Top Bottom