• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skill Ups GOTY list

ReBurn

Gold Member
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Kuranghi

Australian (and Irish) accents for me are so great on women, sounds so sexy. Aussie guys though sound extremely funny to me, like even the most manly, gruff Australian guy sounds quite silly to me, similar to those Minnie-Riperton-level, high-pitched French grandfathers you get.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not a bad list, but wanted to post anyway to say that Valheim sucks. How can such a barebones game make it into a GOTY list?

Tschumi

:/ i like his list but giving his top two spots to a beta release and an expansion suggests a hell of a lot of tilt.

Returnal and It Takes Two should be the top two, judging by what he's said here..

.. brb now, buying valheim and outer wilds

Australian (and Irish) accents for me are so great on women, sounds so sexy. Aussie guys though sound extremely funny to me, like even the most manly, gruff Australian guy sounds quite silly to me, similar to those Minnie-Riperton-level, high-pitched French grandfathers you get.
what about dat shark from Nemo

u cant tell me dats not alpha

ParaSeoul

How did this guy make it as a reviewer? Seems most of the time his reviews have no structure and he ends up contradicting statements he made just minutes earlier.

Edder1

Ia this the guy who said Cyberpunk was a masterpiece? Kinda hard to take him seriously when his opinion is all over the place at times.

Last edited:
If there is one game I dont get the love for is Outer Wilds. The hyperboles regarding this game is nuts and I can be a pretty neutral dude, but holy fuck, saying the game gives you some magical awesome emotional crying experience or whatever is just nuts to me. I played and finished the original and only found it okay. The ending did nothing for me, the mystery reveal nothing. It was interesting and unique but nothing to make me emotional or cry like some steam reviews mentioned.

VN1X

Banned
If there is one game I dont get the love for is Outer Wilds. The hyperboles regarding this game is nuts and I can be a pretty neutral dude, but holy fuck, saying the game gives you some magical awesome emotional crying experience or whatever is just nuts to me. I played and finished the original and only found it okay. The ending did nothing for me, the mystery reveal nothing. It was interesting and unique but nothing to make me emotional or cry like some steam reviews mentioned.
Total fuckin' gamer chad over here.

Plays Outer Wilds and doesn't afraid of anything.

Total fuckin' gamer chad over here.

Plays Outer Wilds and doesn't afraid of anything.

No, I legit want to know. I cried at some pretty generic shit but Outer Wilds I just...don;t get it. Maybe I need to experience trauma inb my life to relate, else I can;t explain why so many love it.

VN1X

Banned
No, I legit want to know. I cried at some pretty generic shit but Outer Wilds I just...don;t get it. Maybe I need to experience trauma inb my life to relate, else I can;t explain why so many love it.
It's not that complicated really: People get different things out of different pieces of art/media.

However you don't need to experience trauma in life to relate. If that's your only explanation as to why some things resonate with others when it doesn't for you then... Jesus christ lol.

It's not that complicated really: People get different things out of different pieces of art/media.

However you don't need to experience trauma in life to relate. If that's your only explanation as to why some things resonate with others when it doesn't for you then... Jesus christ lol.

Im just saying what some steam reviews were saying and how this game made them relate to that. Thats why I said, that theres so much hyperbole to this that it is insane. People like different things, yes, duh, but some of this shit ppl say about Outer Wilds is insane. I understand when you say you love Fifa, i get that, but saying I love Fifa because it made me cry and some shit, is out of the ordinary. Same applies to Outer Wilds.

GymWolf

How did this guy make it as a reviewer? Seems most of the time his reviews have no structure and he ends up contradicting statements he made just minutes earlier.
He is easy on the hears (if this expression even exist), sometimes you just need that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It has more working systems than Cyberpunk...
That's not saying too much.

I don't get it man, when I tried it the game looked like a 3D Terraria, which could be very cool, but also lacked a lot content and was a chore to play.

Concern

Yeah but some are super smart and like games I like , those should be allowed, but some are super dumb and like games I don't like those should be banned

Pretty much this. The people complaining are the same people praising the other threads lol.

VN1X

Banned
Im just saying what some steam reviews were saying and how this game made them relate to that. Thats why I said, that theres so much hyperbole to this that it is insane. People like different things, yes, duh, but some of this shit ppl say about Outer Wilds is insane. I understand when you say you love Fifa, i get that, but saying I love Fifa because it made me cry and some shit, is out of the ordinary. Same applies to Outer Wilds.
Okay so you're out of touch with people and their emotions or you lack empathy or whatever... I get it.

Outer Wilds is an extraordinary game and it deserves all the hype and praise it has received so far. The argument you're making against it boils down to "I don't think it's worthy crying over" or some shit which isn't so much as a valid critique of its design rather than you having a childish opinion on a piece of media and its fan reaction. Grow up.

Yoboman

We make guys laugh and girls wet

Okay so you're out of touch with people and their emotions or you lack empathy or whatever... I get it.

Outer Wilds is an extraordinary game and it deserves all the hype and praise it has received so far. The argument you're making against it boils down to "I don't think it's worthy crying over" or some shit which isn't so much as a valid critique of its design rather than you having a childish opinion on a piece of media and its fan reaction. Grow up.

What the fuck is this reply? Childish opinion? Out of touch? It was a geniune curiosity and you've been nothing but agressive. Jesus when someone likes a game on gaf it's always to the extreme. Clearly you should be the one growing up if you can;t take a fucking different curiosity or opinion lmao.

MiguelItUp

I feel that's a good and respectable list. But also, man, what a fairly barren year for games, lol.

To each their own, I suppose. He's one of the few content creators that I even bother following. Especially his impressions and reviews.

I generally don't care too much for reviews at all, but I always felt like he put a good amount of attention and effort into everything. Not to mention I was surprised to find myself agreeing with multiple points he's made over time.

Last edited:

Handel

Great list, SkillUp is the best in the biz. ITT there are so many bitter narcissists that hate on anyone else putting their opinion out there that doesn't fully agree with them and their narrow tastes in gaming, so sad.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I love Skill Up and I follow his opinions on every game I'm interested in, but I can't help feeling there's a somewhat anti-mainstream sentiment especially in his top 5. Though that could be just what he prefers and that's fine.

this is the same guy that gives a thumbs up to CP2077 i believed lmao
No, he told people to wait for updates.

Timestamped:

brian0057

Banned
I don't give a shit if Guardians of the Galaxy is the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
That shit was made instead of a new Deus Ex.
Fuck Square Enix.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

VN1X

Banned
What the fuck is this reply? Childish opinion? Out of touch? It was a geniune curiosity and you've been nothing but agressive. Jesus when someone likes a game on gaf it's always to the extreme. Clearly you should be the one growing up if you can;t take a fucking different curiosity or opinion lmao.
My dude, you're the one who's saying that you don't understand people's opinions/reactions regarding a videogame and that in order to understand said reaction you might need to experience trauma.

And I'm the one being extreme here?

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Look, I apologize for what I said earlier. I don't want to belittle or insult you. Even more so 'cause this isn't a very interesting discussion for either of us any more. All I'm trying to say is that I find your initial post just too hyperbolic and comes off as looking down upon others who might've had a strong emotional reaction to a videogame.

My dude, you're the one who's saying that you don't understand people's opinions/reactions regarding a videogame and that in order to understand said reaction you might need to experience trauma.

And I'm the one being extreme here?

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Look, I apologize for what I said earlier. I don't want to belittle or insult you. Even more so 'cause this isn't a very interesting discussion for either of us any more. All I'm trying to say is that I find your initial post just too hyperbolic and comes off as looking down upon others who might've had a strong emotional reaction to a videogame.

No, I said, I don't understand the hyperbole regarding the game, the "I cried after I finished the game" things. I found the game okay, didnt say it was bad or shit and I understand when ppl say, they like the game but the former is baffling. That is it. Was I downplaying those ppl? I guess you could say that but maybe I was expecting some explanation as to why exactly they found it a crying experience. Anyway it's fine, I understand when we can get attached to a game and want to defend it. I've done it as well.

VN1X

Banned
Disclaimer: I haven't even finished Outer Wilds because I was too dumb (and I was even struggling while using a guide) but from the few hours I managed on my own it was a wondrous and amazing experience. I envy those who were able to finish it on their own brainpower hah.

Maybe I will one day try again from scratch and tackle the DLC as well once I've gained a few IQ points lol.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't give a shit if Guardians of the Galaxy is the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
That shit was made instead of a new Deus Ex.
Fuck Square Enix.
I played both Deus Ex games from Eidos Montreal and I enjoyed them, but IMO Guardians of the Galaxy is a much better game than a new Deus Ex would probably be.

Also, it was just good strategy that Square Enix chose not to compete with CD Projekt RED on a cyberpunk-themed first-person RPG. Especially as they knew of all the time and resources CDPR spent on their game.

Jaybe

No, he told people to wait for updates.

Timestamped:

If I remember correctly, he is one of the few if only, popular YouTube content creators that called out CDProjeck Red’s restriction on showing a reviewer's own gameplay in the review (requiring stock footage be used) and called out that only the PC version was made available to reviewers in advance of release.

Personally his style, humour, ability to write his content to the game vs a structured approach is why I like his stuff. There is a little bit of allowing the topic du jour to feed in but it’s his content, and in some cases adds to it. He gained a lot of notoriety with his EA Skinner box video years ago. And as an added plus, I’m pretty sure the other gaming forum bans discussing his content. It’s great to see him continue to succeed.

Reactions: GHG

Yamisan

I only made it about 10 minutes into the video due to how poorly its made. Its all over the place and 2 of the games atleast aren't even from this year.

Edder1

He probably played it on PC. Don’t forget the PC version has a very high Metacritic rating.
PC version had plenty bugs at launch, there were hour long videos on YouTube highlighting them. The high score is not surprising as media outlets have been hyping the game up for months leading up to launch and it was pretty obvious that a lot of them haven't played beyond a few hours. Some of the YouTubers who gave the game 9/10 and 10/10 scores later went on to talk about how poor and undercooked the game was. The whole thing was a joke, it made me very cautious of reviewers from that point onwards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom