• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skater XL - Coming to all platforms July 2020

obin_gam

This game has analogue trick mechanics right?

After skate. I havent been able to play Tony Hawk games because they use the buttons. Analogue is so much better and imersive.

Abear21

Banned
I NEED a good skateboarding game in my life!

Buying this or THPS, I’m so happy this is out first, if impressions are mediocre I’ll know to just wait. It looks like a good foundation but not all the way there yet for me, hopefully I’m proven wrong.

I really just need something to play while waiting 3 years for the next Skate.

D3SCHA1N

After being a bit underwhelmed with Session's early access, I'm hoping this will play better. Seems like it based on what I've seen. Couldn't care less for the absurdity of tony hawk games anymore so this one is my only hope until that new skate finally comes out.

Abear21

Banned
After being a bit underwhelmed with Session's early access, I'm hoping this will play better. Seems like it based on what I've seen. Couldn't care less for the absurdity of tony hawk games anymore so this one is my only hope until that new skate finally comes out.

It is disappointing to hear Session is underwhelming too. I’ve watched several impression videos of Session and Skater XL and I was worried as both look like stiff and just not that fun to play.

Why didn’t these two devs just team up and make an amazing game?
Now I have to get my fix from Tony Hawk and I was never really into those games.

My wet dream would be a Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX remake. Shit, Dave might be dead for all I know and is now basically irreverent, but that game had great trick variety and open world design. Games should be fun and realistic and Skate is unmatched with this balance.

Skater XL plays MUCH better than Session responsiveness wise. I tried the session preview on xbox one and was amazed how little control I had. Felt so stiff, bought Skater XL the next day and was busting out nice tricks within minutes. Skater XL is definitely worth the price. And it's cheaper now in Early Access, once the game gets released the price will go up, so now's the time to buy.

D3SCHA1N

Skater XL plays MUCH better than Session responsiveness wise. I tried the session preview on xbox one and was amazed how little control I had. Felt so stiff, bought Skater XL the next day and was busting out nice tricks within minutes. Skater XL is definitely worth the price. And it's cheaper now in Early Access, once the game gets released the price will go up, so now's the time to buy.

I only got consoles, so can't get skater xl until july 28th, but I will be pickin' it up then...

The Fartist

Gold Member
It is disappointing to hear Session is underwhelming too. I’ve watched several impression videos of Session and Skater XL and I was worried as both look like stiff and just not that fun to play.

Why didn’t these two devs just team up and make an amazing game?
Now I have to get my fix from Tony Hawk and I was never really into those games.

My wet dream would be a Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX remake. Shit, Dave might be dead for all I know and is now basically irreverent, but that game had great trick variety and open world design. Games should be fun and realistic and Skate is unmatched with this balance.
Dave Mirra is dead.

Abear21

Banned
Definitely picking this up tonight! $40 seems fair and I’m going in with low expectations.

No reviews yet, game journalists hate sports games so no surprise. Going in blind is okay by me!

TMLT

Havent played the PC version, picked it up for PS4. Its a bit rough around the edges (some framerate issues etc) but the raw gameplay is very addictive, probably the best mechanics ive seen in a skateboarding game. Maps are pretty good too, the high school and Downtown LA are huge, they could definitely use some NPCs dotted around to make them seem more alive though.

Maiden Voyage

Goldâ„¢ Member

Spot on review in my opinion. Easy Day bit off more than they could chew. It's a shame they're also silent as I have no clue if they plan to continue to update the game post-release or not.

The foundation is there, but they really need to build more.

As someone who has played countless hours of this game, a $40 dollar asking price is fucking insane. It has some of the most fun skate mechanics of any game but there's blatantly unfinished aspects to the game. The vert skating is just barely functional and the content on offer is super bare bones for a 1.0 release. On PC the mod scene can pick up some of the slack but I couldn't imagine playing this game on console.

TheMan

As someone who has played countless hours of this game, a $40 dollar asking price is fucking insane. It has some of the most fun skate mechanics of any game but there's blatantly unfinished aspects to the game. The vert skating is just barely functional and the content on offer is super bare bones for a 1.0 release. On PC the mod scene can pick up some of the slack but I couldn't imagine playing this game on console.

Same. Good foundation but still needs time in the oven.

How do you feel about session? I have both but haven't played either in quite a while.

Pfhunkie

Same exact sentiment here. There’s loads of mods already for the game that fill out the content gap but if you buy this on console, you’re in for a real bad time.

Maiden Voyage

Goldâ„¢ Member

I felt a bit robbed buying at $20 as soon as it hit early access. The lack of updates meant I never gave it a fair shake until a week ago. I picked it up in hope to get good enough for the full release. Outside of the challenges it's so bare bones. The high school and DT LA maps are amazing but everything else is half-baked. I've seen videos where the rails or ledges on certain maps don't have splines, so you can't even grind them. The physics are still not where they need to be. Hell, the clothing models look atrocious.

My only hope at this stage is that Session implements a killer physics engine.

I don't know why Tony Hawk can't get their act together like Skate.

TH games are a whole different beast. I am super stoked to play the new release when it comes out. That scratches a whole separate itch for me.

Same. Good foundation but still needs time in the oven.

How do you feel about session? I have both but haven't played either in quite a while.

I own both. Session is much more fleshed out. The only points Skater XL has over Session are the mod scene and the board control. If you're looking for another Skate, neither hit the mark. If you're cool skating around an open map, largely without direction both games are okay (both are still buggy and not perfect). But is Skater XL worth double the price of Session? Hell no.

I've put 50+ hours into Session and 20 into Skater XL. I bought both on the same day.

Abear21

Banned
I’m on console only and really want to buy Skater XL but just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger as I know I’ll be disappointed. I love skating half pipes and it looks like it just doesn’t work in this game.

THPS doesn’t do much for me as I’m a HUGE skate fan. Hopefully the devs keep supporting Skater XL and in a year it’s a great game. I just can’t support this game in its 1.0 state, it still looks early access with no plants, body flips, or real bowl/half pipe skating being broken. Heartbreaking for this skater fan, $40 seems like gouging and while I’m sure they will continue to add maps and features I’ll wait to see it first.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I’m on console only and really want to buy Skater XL but just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger as I know I’ll be disappointed. I love skating half pipes and it looks like it just doesn’t work in this game.

THPS doesn’t do much for me as I’m a HUGE skate fan. Hopefully the devs keep supporting Skater XL and in a year it’s a great game. I just can’t support this game in its 1.0 state, it still looks early access with no plants, body flips, or real bowl/half pipe skating being broken. Heartbreaking for this skater fan, $40 seems like gouging and while I’m sure they will continue to add maps and features I’ll wait to see it first.
I got it on PC and it's almost as hard as real skateboarding LOL

I'm digging it

Maiden Voyage

Goldâ„¢ Member

If you're on Xbone, check out Session.

D3SCHA1N

If you're on Xbone, check out Session.

I have session's game preview early access and skater XL, and XL is better imo, but I play these games in da streets, not the half pipes. Neither game has very good transition skating though, but even there XL is better.

Abear21

Banned
So I finally broke and picked this up last night. I only played a couple hours and I had a blast!

It’s pretty much what I expected, is it worth $40? For me it is, but I can have fun just fooling around for hours with a game like this.

That said I really hope they keep adding content. Menus are sluggish on PS4 pro and there’s definitely weird glitches that happen. I’m happy to support Easy Day though and appreciate them filling the void so it’s all good. I just hope they keep patching, improving, and hopefully they add some hand plants, no complies, etc. in the future. The foundation is there and it is strong!

Top Bottom