• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate Trademark Abandoned By EA, Leaving Little Hope for Skate 4 (Update: TM Renewed for 10 years on 6/24/2019)

Bullet Club

YMFgk9x.jpg

OYsFlXx.png

Update:

2019-06-24 REGISTERED AND RENEWED (FIRST RENEWAL - 10 YRS)

Last edited by a moderator:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
aw man. RIP Skate

someone needs to make a good skateboarding game again. wasn't Tony Hawk working on something new with someone? what ever came of that?

i tried a Skateboarding game recently but it was still in early access and very broken.

waylo

Banned
Check out Session. It controls nothing like Skate, but it really feels like a natural evolution. Early access but they've got a really great foundation to build on.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Nice one EA. With the utter shambles of the handling Tony Hawks games has in recent years you could have come in and ruled this stage. But as always, you had to be all EA about it.

I still believe there’s a way back for ToNy Hawk. A new game, with decent physics, built around the whole idea of the first/second game, with a killer Soundtrack and the ability to skate in a park with other skaters there...? Come on, it’s not that hard...

Shifty

So what are the legal ramifications of this? Is the SKATE trademark up for grabs now, or is it more complex than that?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Pretend I don't know much about IP retention legality. Can someone try and snatch Skate up?

Terce

It's just the trademark, it's not like they could snatch up assets or the engine or anything like that. It would be like if Microsoft lost their trademark you could use the name and logo but you wouldn't get their software

It was basically reportedly confirmed long ago through Ex-employees that EA made Skate specifically to kill Tony Hawk and then abandoned the series once it no longer generated a large amount of money.

I have no reason to assume this is false since that's basically exactly what happened. Skate dethroned Hawk and all other skateboarding games, and EA cut back and coasted on it until they decided it didn't bring in much money and said bye. Activision had a chance to bring Tony Hawk back with THPS5 to take advantage of skates death, and screwed it up.

To be fair Skate boarding games aren't really something the market is into now. Tony Hawks prime has also passed and his name can't move game sales anymore.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Those hoping to play Skate 4 at some point in their lives should probably move on. At least for now.

Electronic Arts has abandoned its trademark for Skate, leaving little hope for a Skate 4.
According to a United States Patent and Trademark Office (UPTO) listing, the trademark was re-upped in February 16, 2018. However, as of August 1, 2019, the company had abandoned it. A trademark can be considered abandoned when the applicant refuses to respond to correspondence from the USPTO.

skate_trademark-1152x304.jpg

If you look over the trademark page on legal resource site Justia (thanks, GamesRadar), you can see the application history and the various attempts made to contact EA over the filing.

Despite hopes for a fourth installment, EA said in a Q3 2017 financial call to investors Skate 4 was not in development.

Rumors around E3 2018 stated EA might announce the game at EA Play, but the rumors obviously didn’t pan out

Source

oagboghi2

Nice one EA. With the utter shambles of the handling Tony Hawks games has in recent years you could have come in and ruled this stage. But as always, you had to be all EA about it.

I still believe there’s a way back for ToNy Hawk. A new game, with decent physics, built around the whole idea of the first/second game, with a killer Soundtrack and the ability to skate in a park with other skaters there...? Come on, it’s not that hard...
That was literally the pitch for tony hawk 5.

It’s over. It’s dead

diffusionx

Gold Member
I own Tony Hawk 5. It was... Awful. On every level. It was about as cheap an attempt as you can get. There was nothing even close to good in it, at all...

Yes, that's the point. They pitched it as that game. Reality was something else. "Be careful what you wish for"

The companies, the people, the technologies, the markets, they're all totally different from what they were when these games emerged. You're much more likely to get a disaster than a solid product.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah, it’s awful... I get part of the problem is that the world has moved on. A game as “simple” as Tony Hawks wouldn't survive now, not without massive changes and additions.

Top Bottom