• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skate 3 Mobile May Be Happening, Pro ‘Boarder Jason Dill Told EA to Make Skate 4 Instead

Bullet Club

Skate 3 Mobile May Be Happening, Pro ‘Boarder Jason Dill Told EA to Make Skate 4 Instead

After being starved for new content for years, it seems fans of skateboarding games may have something to look forward to in 2020. There are rumors the first two Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater games may be getting remastered, and now it seems something might be happening with EA’s much-loved Skate series.

On the most recent episode of The Nine Club podcast, former pro skateboard and entrepreneur Jason Dill let slip that EA had contacted him about appearing in a new Skate game.

I got a call from the EA people about 10 months ago, and they said, "Hey, we want to talk about the Skate game." I said, that's fine.
[They] said, basically, "We want to do a mobile version of Skate 3." I wrote back, and I said, "What else?" She wrote back, "No, that's it."

Hoo boy. The Skate series has a pretty rabid fanbase and, needless to say, a mobile version of Skate 3 is not the thing they’ve begging for. Not that a mobile take on Skate would necessarily be a bad thing, but you would hope it would launch alongside a more ambitious console title. But hey, at least Dill went to bat for the fans, telling EA they should make Skate 4 instead…

I wrote back, "Hey, no big deal, but nobody wants your stupid mobile version of Skate 3. Make Skate f--king 4 already, cuz just, like, do it. Just make the game and participate again. You can't level it up to the same numbers you get on other games, you do it for a cultural thing that pays you back later.

EA Play 2020 will take place in June, with the publisher promising new game announcements. Will a new Skate game be one of them? I have my doubts, but who knows? Maybe skateboarding games are about to have a moment. Here’s hoping.

What was your favorite skateboarding game back in the day? Would you at least try out a mobile Skate game, or is it Skate 4 or nothing for you?

Source: WCCFTech

Abear21

Banned
If mobile interest is high enough maybe that’s a good thing for then possibility of Skate 4?

I have faith EA will come through with a proper sequel eventually, but I think I’m in the minority and man it’s been a long gen without a great skateboarding game, or a really good snowboarding game either other than Steep.

Just remaster Skate 3 EA!!!

ZehDon

Skate 3 was pretty terrific - not super opposed to a mobile version, but how would it play with those controls? Virtual sticks is just about the worst control method around, and the analogue sticks are pretty darn to the entire game.
Oh well. The wait for Skate 4 continues...

oSoLucky

"You can't level it up to the same numbers you get on other games, you do it for a cultural thing that pays you back later."

Sadly EA is the last company that will be persuaded by this argument.

Compsiox

Banned
"You can't level it up to the same numbers you get on other games, you do it for a cultural thing that pays you back later."

Sadly EA is the last company that will be persuaded by this argument.
Sadly they feel the constant need to increase their profits 10 fold to impress shareholders and can't make games just because like Valve.

obin_gam

Ah .skate, the perfect hangover game.
Just laying in the couch, silence, and moving the sticks to the sound of wheels hitting concrete.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

If mobile interest is high enough maybe that’s a good thing for then possibility of Skate 4?

I have faith EA will come through with a proper sequel eventually, but I think I’m in the minority and man it’s been a long gen without a great skateboarding game, or a really good snowboarding game either other than Steep.

Just remaster Skate 3 EA!!!
Stop it. This type of thinking didn't work for the wii, and it won't work for skate 4.

Don't support a game because you hope it will lead to something better in the future

They should remaster Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. That was the best one.

2 was the best one.

You are both wrong. Underground is king.

You're all wrong. T&C Surf Designs on NES is the king:
D3HXh1c.png

Watch someone quote me and post Skate or Die, saying I'm wrong

Last edited:

Deft Beck

People want Skate 4 but EA doesn't really want Skate 4.

It's more cost effective for the perceived audience of the game (teenagers who game on phones) to kick the old game onto phones. The old audience is still playing 3 or has moved on to the numerous indie options.

I wrote back, "Hey, no big deal, but nobody wants your stupid mobile version of Skate 3. Make Skate f--king 4 already, cuz just, like, do it. Just make the game and participate again. You can't level it up to the same numbers you get on other games, you do it for a cultural thing that pays you back later.

Dill telling it like it is. Fuckin' majestic.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
I want to like Session, but I'm really not feeling the default control scheme, and the Skate style controls that they added a few months ago still need a lot of work. The animation is also pretty stiff, specifically landing tricks. Tempted to try out SkaterXL.

Top Bottom