• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Size (PS5) vs Silence (Xbox SeX) - which is more important to you?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Vawn

Banned
We have not seen or heard PS5. We have not heard Xbox SX. It seems a little early for these judgements.

small_law

I'll take compute over quiet. Personally, I avoid "silent" settings on my PC like the plague. The three things that kill electronics are heat, dust, and inconsistent voltage.

WWEAnimeFreak

Neo Member
I prefer big and silent. The XSX looks nice but I'm mostly a PlayStation gamer. I have a 360, Switch and PS4, and use all 3 a lot. We haven't really seen what the PS5 can do but if it's anything like my PS4 Slim in terms of silence then it should prove to be great.

At this point I have no doubt that Sony is gonna make another loud console at launch just to keep it small ant put the power brick inside, so I'm probably waiting for a revision. The PS3 was a nightmare, I couldn't play games at night because of the loud fans so I'm never getting another loud console again, the PS4 slim is very quiet, but the Xbone was completely silent from the very beginning, and the Series X looks like it's gonna be silent again.

pr0cs

Ask yourself why people don't buy XBox. I think *cough* lack of AAA 90+ metacritic single player games *cough*.
Absolutely, but then there are some people in here that are in here for a specific reason well beyond games, metacritic would be irrelevant

PocoJoe

Banned
Don't care, I roll with a Surround Sound set up so I don't hear it.
A bit of both would be nice though ideal though
And for it not to overheat.
But I think that was a PS3/360 era thing.
I've never had to replace a PS4 yet, that's impressive.

This is funny argument.

Do you blast music/white noise on high level on every second you are gaming? If not, then it doesnt matter if you have huge speakers or not

Why would it?

Games have silent moments, just like movies.

I have big speakers + 5.1.2 setup and of course it doesnt drown other noises because of moments with less noise.

I can hear my switch while gaming, on some moments. And ps4s are much noisier than that, clearly audible

So dont claim you cant hear it because of speakers

Either it is the distance/setup, you have bad hearing or some other variables.

Like one of my friend claimed that his ps4 is silent.. and when I visited him, I could hear it to the door.

After I said that to him, he could hear it too

Absolutely, but then there are some people in here that are in here for a specific reason well beyond games, metacritic would be irrelevant

I don't understand why GAF is even discussing the XBox anymore. It's utterly failed in the market. Microsoft won't even tell us how many have sold. How can you trust a company when they refuse to divulge sales figures?

Tranquil

I'll take the x

luVl3tv.jpg
This would be funnier if it was just the xbox and the xbox was a black fridge.

henau212

Neo Member
Voting for silence.. Got a launch PS4, PS4pro and xbox x. The PS4s sound like a jet engine under load.. Really hate that. The X is a relevation in silence. I will buy the SeX first if Sony fucks up the noise again and wait for the revisions.

I am also really curious about the size of the PS5. The dev kits seem to be enormous judging by the drive size..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
In love those 8th gen intel NUC's they run forza horizon 4 at a stable 30fps in 720p.

But for normal gaming i want a big silent black fat xbox.

HeadsUp7Up

I normally buy PlayStations within the first couple of months of them coming out but I’ll be waiting at least 6 months-first revision before jumping in this time. I’m tired of the loud initial consoles only for them to come out with a more efficient one not too long after release. Now if initial owners have positive reports that might help change my stance.

ZywyPL

Banned
Must have, 100 million units to about 50 million, speaks for itself my dude.

Pretty sure it was the 100$ that made all the difference. Same as X360 dominated the gen before. An average Joe doesn't give a crap if his beloved CoD/BF/FIFA/GTA/Assasin etc renders in 900p, 1080p, 1440 or 1800p, he just desperately wants to play it, and he will always opt for the cheaper option that allows him to. In a same way most people in the world watch movies via streaming or DVD instead of a BD, listens to MP3 instead of CD, and so on. The content is exactly the same, and no one wants to overpay for a slight, barely noticeable difference.

Size doesn't matter. Everything like VHS is acceptable.

fAsj9eM.jpg

Why is this Google Stadia pic black and white? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom