• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single player games shouldnt be Always Online ever

MMaRsu

Banned
So with the stupid server issues in GT7, where players cannot even play the game they bought for 80€ we are looking at another big Single Player adventure that is Always Online in the form of Harry Potter Hogwarts Legacy.

Why online only? So you can bother the consumer, the paying customer, with your bullshit that I have no interest in?
So you can force down your trashy commercials for other products, your login, your launcher or World of WB (whatever they call it)?

We should be holding these shitty companies responsible. Don't buy their always online shit products.
If their server goes down, your game is fucking useless.

If your internet goes down, you cant play the game you bought.

MMaRsu

Banned
Agreed it's ridiculous that it's come to this. screw Sony, IO Interactive and any other devs that do this.

Hitman series is another egregious example. One of the reasons I still havent purchased Hitman III till it's a DEEP DEEP sale (like 5 or 10 for the full game).

You cannot even use any of the unlocks that you've gotten in Offline mode. In fact you cant use any of the tools or outfits that you've unlocked offline.

Its so bad. And there really isn't any reason to have that game be online only. There isn't even an MP element to any of it.

kingfey

Banned
Its bad on areas, where the internet goes out, because of natural world issues like tornado, heavy rain, snow emergencies, the internet pole going down, and other issues.
You can have internet outages for weeks, and you cant play your games, because they need internet.
Its a shitty situation.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Interestingly all the arguments for always online for example GT7 stem from decisions by the creator to solve problems that they have created by making the game always online...

In other words, 99% of the player population is not going to give a flying fuck about sport mode, however they have hamstrung the entire game to an always online connection to allow for sports mode to have integrity... if sports mode was not tied to the rest of the game in the same way Musical rally wasent then we would not have a requirement for an always online connection.

Oh unless you decided to link the ingame currency directly to MTX in which case you wanted to make sure people couldent cheat there way passed your carefully castrated earning system, then you might need an always online connection to monitor that.

Imagine if Eldenring or Dark Souls didn't let you play in offline mode because the integrity of the multiplayer components took priority over just letting people play the game, it's essentially this.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is Hogwarts Legacy an always online game? What a fucking mess

Oh, Hogwarts Legacy is always online?

That's a bummer. Why the hell they did that?

Not seen this anywhere, as far as I am aware they haven't confirmed there monetisation strategy yet.

Since it's WB though I assume it will involve your custom child being molested by a plant while a button prompts you to buy premium currency.

Last edited:

daclynk

WTF this game is always online. hmmm. Welcome to the new Gen guys. it going to suck! hey i have been told this is were the Industry is headed so i should just keep quite and be happy by a certain someone.

Last edited:

Three

Hitman series is another egregious example.
Its so bad. And there really isn't any reason to have that game be online only. There isn't even an MP element to any of it.
This ain't new though. Some games just tie earned content together or offer no single player at all and remain always online anyway.

Last edited:
I’m not saying the Souls games are perfect in terms of online, but I don’t see why all these alway online games can’t take a cue from them and have an ever present online component that the player can choose to use or not.

The answer is obviously pushing people into MTX while saying it’s for anti-cheating reasons, but still.

It’s still bullshit selling a mostly single player game that will be unplayable when servers go down.

ParaSeoul

Lucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

But seriously even after the Xbone launch backlash,devs still managed to get away with this shit.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Not seen this anywhere, as far as I am aware they haven't confirmed there monetisation strategy yet.

Since it's WB though I assume it will involve your custom child being molested by a plant while a button prompts you to buy premium currency.

Hopefully thats true and the always online is just some false information being spread by SJW.

Miles708

Complaining has no effect if y'all still buying all those games.
Online-only in GT7 serves only for the purpose of letting Polyphony and Sony tweak races prizes to maximize MTX transactions. That's all. It's a net loss for everyone who isn't Polyphony and Sony.

But still "who doesn't have online nowadays bro come back to the middle ages".
In 2 days you will be all around this crap again anyway.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Agreed.

Every game dev will PR whatever excuse they can.... patches, prevent cheating etc... But we all know why they mandate it.

Money.

- pressures gamers to be online
- which pressures gamers to buy MP sub plans
- which pressures gamers to buy mtx

Just to show how it all ties together, many games require you to submit your email address and accept their terms of service page before playing their game.

kikkis

I could see it being the path of least resistance if you had online game as base but have some single player content in there as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really don't care. If Internet down I'd suspect most of us will have more pressing issues than playing a certain game.

Don't like the practice, don't buy games that require it. Complaining about it won't get you anywhere because what I just wrote is the understood reality in today's world.

Harsh maybe, but that's the truth.

Zeroing

Banned
Agreed.

Every game dev will PR whatever excuse they can.... patches, prevent cheating etc... But we all know why they mandate it.

Money.

- pressures gamers to be online
- which pressures gamers to buy MP sub plans
- which pressures gamers to buy mtx

Just to show how it all ties together, many games require you to submit your email address and accept their terms of service page before playing their game.
So the lesson here is... buy good games that do not use any of those.. if people did that, I am sure devs and coorporations would think twice.
But I doubt anything would change, money is a good incentive to keep doing it even if you destroy your fanbase.

FingerBang

I agree. If it's not a live/multiplayer game, it makes no sense. I have no problems with Destiny being always online, but GT7 shouldn't be.

I don't even think it's necessary for the game to be online to have MTX, they are probably doing it because it gives them better telemetry to tweak things.
They could technically still collect data and send it where you connect and I think they should consider it doing it that way. It's unacceptable people can't play the single player portion of a game because the servers are down.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Couldn't agree more, OP.

Give me the option - create single player save, or a multiplayer save - and let me decide if I want to be always online or not. The idea that my single player game doesn't function because the work experience kid tripped over a cable is ridiculous.

Bankai

They often aren't. There's often a legacy patch end of life, so that a game is playable after online support ends.

MMaRsu

Banned
Really don't care. If Internet down I'd suspect most of us will have more pressing issues than playing a certain game.

Don't like the practice, don't buy games that require it. Complaining about it won't get you anywhere because what I just wrote is the understood reality in today's world.

Harsh maybe, but that's the truth.

Holy shit I thought it was sarcasm but this is actually your stupid opinion

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the lesson here is... buy good games that do not use any of those.. if people did that, I am sure devs and coorporations would think twice.
But I doubt anything would change, money is a good incentive to keep doing it even if you destroy your fanbase.
Yup.

But that assumes a gamer waits a day to see from gamers on launch day if online is required. Of course, waiting a day isn't the end of the world. But it's a silly thing to do to ensure it doesnt require mandatory online for SP.

Just to show how stupid it is as a pure money grab, my home theatre system has an ethernet port. I keep it plugged in as it does updates periodically, but in the past I've had it unplugged from online too.

I can still play movie discs and use it for sound watching TV unplugged. Technically, I'm sure Panasonic can figure out a way to ensure it only works if the system is hooked up online. They can even give the excuse that it needs online to ensure it always has the latest patch to ensure best movie playing quality. But since there's no money in it like sub plans and mtx, they dont bother.

Zeroing

Banned
Yup.

But that assumes a gamer waits a day to see from gamers on launch day if online is required. Of course, waiting a day isn't the end of the world. But it's a silly thing to do to ensure it doesnt require mandatory online for SP.

Just to show how stupid it is as a pure money grab, my home theatre system has an ethernet port. I keep it plugged in as it does updates periodically, but in the past I've had it unplugged from online too.

I can still play movie discs and use it for sound watching TV unplugged. Technically, I'm sure Panasonic can figure out a way to ensure it only works if the system is hooked up online. They can even give the excuse that it needs online to ensure it always has the latest patch to ensure best movie playing quality. But since there's no money in it like sub plans and mtx, they dont bother.
"gaming journalists" should be pointing out things like always online, requirement to register etc...
You know journalism exists to inform the public but the gaming industry - we live on a parallel world...

Mabdia

So with the stupid server issues in GT7, where players cannot even play the game they bought for 80€ we are looking at another big Single Player adventure that is Always Online in the form of Harry Potter Hogwarts Legacy.

Why online only? So you can bother the consumer, the paying customer, with your bullshit that I have no interest in?
So you can force down your trashy commercials for other products, your login, your launcher or World of WB (whatever they call it)?

We should be holding these shitty companies responsible. Don't buy their always online shit products.
If their server goes down, your game is fucking useless.

If your internet goes down, you cant play the game you bought.
Well... do we remember the thing that almost all of we shout about the always online that Microsoft tried to do with Xbox One? Now we are idiots enough to accept it. I mean... Now it's Sony who is trying it... So is totally OK, right?

Does anyone watched Idiocracy? Each year that pass that movie looks like a documentary instead a comedy...

"gaming journalists" should be pointing out things like always online, requirement to register etc...
You know journalism exists to inform the public but the gaming industry - we live on a parallel world...
Not enough time to talk about the 9999 genders that yet to be discovered. Why wold a game journalist lose their time talking about gaming instead of a political "problem"?

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Well... do we remember the thing that almost all of we shout about the always online that Microsoft tried to do with Xbox One? Now we are idiots enough to accept it. I mean... Now it's Sony who is trying it... So is totally OK, right?

Does anyone watched Idiocracy? Each year that pass that movie looks like a documentary instead a comedy...
Nobody is saying is ok because of Sony. I mean Driveclub and the studio died because of the always online... that failed to work for months..

It is like online behind a paywall ...one corporation tries it... fans embrace it, the other coorporations do it eventually.
The gaming industry is basically a money game where corporations test us to see how much they can do and get away with it...

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Nobody is saying is ok because of Sony. I mean Driveclub and the studio died because of the always online... that failed to work for months..

It is like online behind a paywall ...one corporation tries it... fans embrace it, the other coorporations do it eventually.
The gaming industry is basically a money game where corporations test us to see how much they can do and get away with it...
Driveclub wasnt always online and was perfectly playable offline.

Rayderism

Especially on a single player game, I never understood why a company would burden themselves with server use and maintenance on purpose. Just seems like a waste of resources.

Zeroing

Banned
Driveclub wasnt always online and was perfectly playable offline.
After they quickly patch it, because they messed up the online part. The main selling points of that game was being online and being on a club etc...I bough the game on launch, I know how much of a mess it was... it was so messy that after the patch Sony took out the "Sony computer entertainment" out of the loading screen.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, makes me think of Capcom's Final Fight/Magician Lord Combo on the PS3.

Multiplayer servers are down, have been down for years but you still need to be online in order to play the game at all. lol.

I think it was to combat people sharing logins and playing the game but like come on, stuff like that is so dumb and only affects honest consumers.

Why can't GT7 have a single player offline mode w/ a different save file from the online aspect? Surely someone can engineer that at Polyphony Digital.

MMaRsu

Banned
After they quickly patch it, because they messed up the online part. The main selling points of that game was being online and being on a club etc...I bough the game on launch, I know how much of a mess it was... it was so messy that after the patch Sony took out the "Sony computer entertainment" out of the loading screen.

I bought the game at launch and had a fantastic time with it. It was kinda fucked up the entire online portion wasn't working correctly.

But I still had loads of fun with the offline races.

They also didn't 'quickly' patch it, I remember it took quite a long time :p

Top Bottom