• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single player games shouldnt be Always Online ever

DZ_b_EZ

Op is full of shit. It hasn't been confirmed that it's always-online.

Km8tXp2.png

daveonezero

Banned
Its bad on areas, where the internet goes out, because of natural world issues like tornado, heavy rain, snow emergencies, the internet pole going down, and other issues.
You can have internet outages for weeks, and you cant play your games, because they need internet.
Its a shitty situation.
This is why I stopped buying digital Switch games.

Like I can charge that thing with some solar and a generator. But if it doesn’t have internet it will stop playing Digital games after a week or something.

This is why I stopped buying digital Switch games.

Like I can charge that thing with some solar and a generator. But if it doesn’t have internet it will stop playing Digital games after a week or something.

I don't think that's true if it's the primary console. It is true of the NES, SNES etc games that you get with NSO.

daveonezero

Banned
I don't think that's true if it's the primary console. It is true of the NES, SNES etc games that you get with NSO.
Really? I recall reading it needed to "check in" periodically. And I had mine in airplane mode for a few weeks and it didn't let me launch some games. I will try it again as I am taking a break from games right now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
People need to accept that the era of offline is dying, and never coming back.

But what happens when the nukes drop and we're all living in a Mad Max apocalypse? How will you play your Loli visual novels without internet!?!?!?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Basically.

It's like the drive for digital downloads. In 2013 when PS4/Xbox One were launching, tons of people were bitching about downloads. Discs are better for 20 different reasons. Fast forward and digital sales are around 70% of sales. And that even includes some countries that skew more to discs due to infrastructure. Which means in places with good internet connections, the skew is probably 80% digital.

And you can only do digital downloads if you are online.

Mandatory online is one of those things where (like above), if companies wait it out long enough the issue will solve itself as gamers naturally gravitate to it. Just sit back.

No different than the trend away from physical media. You havent seen anyone complain about it in years. Gamers accepted it as normal.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Is there a way to have a completely offline experience, with the possibility to bring your character online to compete against others, and still have it secure? This was PD's main reason for having online only. Forza 7 had a once a week verification in place and it worked as far as I know?

That's a shame, OP. You should come to expect that to be the common standard going forward. Stay on the wagon and enjoy the ride or get off if it's not your thing.

Last edited:

Mabdia

It has been like this for a decade, I do not think there is a turning back. Either we as a collective make a stand or things will keep degrading or going worse. trust me I though there was no way it would get lower but then now we have NFTs ...
To be honest I really love gaming. But I really hate new game tradings. Sadly the more the tech advance the more looks like the games get less fun. And things like MT, DLCs and now the Always online makes the games even less fun. I don't have problem with internet. I can have my consoles connected 24h without a problem. But the reason behind that to me is a really big problem.

That's why I'm buying old games, old consoles and having fun with it. Nowadays to me gaming is dying. I might be exaggerating... but that is how I perceive the market nowadays.

Guilty_AI

None of the single player games i played recently require constant internet connection tho. For SP non-f2p games, only ones who do this are a few major publishers who don't know what the fuck they're doing, and i'm more than glad to not give them a single cent.

Honestly there are a lot of horrible trends going on in the major industry, along loads of corps whose only understanding of games comes from unhinged twitter denizens and the numbers on their reports. I'd very much welcome a crash about right now.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Absolutely, you should be able to play them without an internet connection, period.

Obviously patches require a download but that should be down to the owner as to whether or not they want to get it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I agree. Unfortunately, the future of gaming will mean the only way we'll be able to access games us via a subscription and streaming combo. This means soon, all games will require an internet connection to play.

I'm so confident of this sub/stream only future that I'd bet my dick on it.

ksdixon

An issue I am really annoyed about right now...

Why did Sony go through the whole pantomime of 2013, only to end up here with always online single player campaigns?

I do wish Sony had stayed true to their identity, had listened to their customers instead of chasing trends and competitors down the wrong roads in search of fools gold.....

Now they are after all the buzzwords...cloud, always online, GAAS, MTX, services, subscriptions etc etc...

The company is changing for the worse and it all lines up with Jim Ryan ascending to CEO. I just wish he would fuck off out of gaming and take his retirement package.

Time for someone who understands the PS fanbase to run the business.
Kevin Butler for Vice President of Course Correction ;)

Top Bottom