• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since when did saying something is gay become not acceptable

Mistake

This one is my personal favorite

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
40 year old parent to their 10 year old kid: "Don't be angry Timmy. Just ignore the words the other students are saying to you at recess. It's just words"

40 year old being called gay: "WTF? Why are you calling me that? I'm calling the cops for a hate crime and going to double it up exposing you on Twitter! Hey Timmy. Remember what I said to you about recess bullies....... uhhhhhhhh.... duhhhhhhh.... forget what I said"

Timmy back to parent: "Not so easy is it?"

Me to my 12 year old "yo stop being gay" 🤷

supernova8

Banned
Similar to how people used to say "that is fucking retarded" and all of a sudden it was bad.

I guarantee most people didn't even know the real meaning of 'retarded' or 'retard' before they started using it as a shit-talk word as a kid.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yuri is gay!

rV7J2Dm.png

Mistake

Similar to how people used to say "that is fucking retarded" and all of a sudden it was bad.

I guarantee most people didn't even know the real meaning of 'retarded' or 'retard' before they started using it as a shit-talk word as a kid.
”What are you? Retarded?” Not that hard to figure out. Makes more sense than how gay is used. Even at 6 I had the spiciest vocabulary. Kinda happens when you have siblings that are much older.

Last edited:
Being respectful of the LGB community by not using "gay" or worse as pejoratives really wasn't a big deal. I think it's great that we've come a long way of being more respectful and understanding of other people. Anyone can love whoever they want (consenting adults) and even get married. All great stuff and simple and easy to understand.

In terms of making adjustments, dropping a couple words from your vocabulary is small peanuts compared to this shit:

Pronoun-cards-2016-02-1024x585.png

Like what the fuck is even going on with that?
I don’t understand how “they” can’t just be used for all the neopronouns. I do scientific writing for a living and It’s never failed me yet.

maneil99

Using Gay as a negative connotation to describe things makes people associated with the that word feel shitty.

It’s like the Karen meme, although people haven’t really recognized their behaviour with that.

Also like calling mediocre or bland food “white food”

I still call things retarded though 💁🏻‍♂️

Elcid

Banned
I remember making this thread a decade ago and having people lose their shit, even though I used “gay” literally, and not as a pejorative.
This thread makes me be proud to be in Neogaf. Tossing gay, sodomite, and fag around and we’re all having a conversation and our bruhaha. Yeah some people have expressed they don’t care for it, but atleast we can have the damn conversation.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I still use it tbh. I have only once had anyone complain about it - back in 2008 an American girl who I kinda wanted to fuck got really pissy about it, irrationally so. Looking back she was perhaps in the early stages of SJW-hood, though she didn't have the look thank god. Honestly I was so confused at the time by her insane reaction to a pretty simple word.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
”What are you? Retarded?” Not that hard to figure out. Makes more sense than how gay is used. Even at 6 I had the spiciest vocabulary. Kinda happens when you have siblings that are much older.

When I was 11 I had a school report that said I had language worse than a building site. The same teacher also told my parents I was capable of murder. She was a cunt.

notseqi

'In my time you were called gay when you wouldn't come down to the city on a weekend to beat up the faggots.'

Somebody on Opie&Anthony I think, maybe Colin Quinn.

Here in my city we have like 50 different words to call them, one less flattery than the other...gay people has to be overly grateful that americans and most of civilized places use the word gay to call them because they don't know how much worse is in places where SWJ stuff doesn't exist and people doesn't give a fuck about being offensive.
This is why your country got hit the hardest with CoVid-19.

GymWolf

When I was 11 I had a school report that said I had language worse than a building site. The same teacher also told my parents I was capable of murder. She was a cunt.
Lol when i was 16 one of my teachers convinced my mother that me and my friends weere some kind of mobsters just because we didn't studied her boring lessons...another cunt to add to the list.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Lol when i was 16 one of my teachers convinced my mother that me and my friends weere some kind of mobsters just because we didn't studied her boring lessons...another cunt to add to the list.

Nice - there are some shitty teachers out there. This teacher was actually responsible for me missing 2.5 years of school - she threatened another kid with calling social services too. She was there covering for a year while the teacher we were supposed to have was off on maternity and honestly she hated boys. The treatment was so unequal as to be utterly baffling. That said, I'd say I won that one as the 2.5 years out was pretty useful, I taught myself to code and now I'm a software dev earning very good money - probably more than she ever did.

GymWolf

Nice - there are some shitty teachers out there. This teacher was actually responsible for me missing 2.5 years of school - she threatened another kid with calling social services too. She was there covering for a year while the teacher we were supposed to have was off on maternity and honestly she hated boys. The treatment was so unequal as to be utterly baffling. That said, I'd say I won that one as the 2.5 years out was pretty useful, I taught myself to code and now I'm a software dev earning very good money - probably more than she ever did.
My cunt made my mother and other mothers crying, i was not a mobsters so no physical retaliation from me, but one of my friend wasn't as nice as me and here where i live, some people take their mothers very seriously...you make my mother cry? I fuck up one of the chairs where you sit during lesson, let's see if it can sustain your fat ass...

Last edited:

notseqi

My cunt made my mother and other mothers crying, i was not a mobsters so no physical retaliation from me, but one of my friend wasn't as nice as me and here where i live, some people take their mothers very seriously...you make my mother cry? I fuck up one of the chairs where you sit during lesson, let's see if it can sustain your fat ass...
Why not call your mobster friends to break her legs?

TheMan

Personally I used the word a ton in middle and high school (graduated 2001.). I went to a large, diverse university and stopped using that word and similar words (fag, etc) pretty much immediately upon arrival. It dawned on me quickly that using words like that is actually not ok at alL. I feel like general culture started to move that way around the same time and by 05 I don’t recall seeing usage of that word very often anymore except for certain message boards (not this one)

Mistake

Teachers are a mess sometimes. I was called dyslexic because of behavioral problems (stemming from home,) despite having a reading level more than double of every kid in the school. I did meet some nice teachers though, and that's what lead me to volunteer in my free time for children.

On topic, as for the gay slang, it was pretty normal up until about 2006. I grew out of it, since the usage didn't make much sense anyways.

Personally I used the word a ton in middle and high school (graduated 2001.). I went to a large, diverse university and stopped using that word and similar words (fag, etc) pretty much immediately upon arrival. It dawned on me quickly that using words like that is actually not ok at alL. I feel like general culture started to move that way around the same time and by 05 I don’t recall seeing usage of that word very often anymore except for certain message boards (not this one)
Fag/faggot is more for guys who act too effeminate, so I get that at least. Case in point

jdforge

Banned
I think anyone using that type of language in 2020 is stuck in a bygone era, left behind by the overwhelming majority of society. Unfortunately, some folk lack the ability to level up.

Top Bottom