• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since when did saying something is gay become not acceptable

Well, if you used the internet in the 90's and early 00's you might have noticed people used to say for certain things that are, well, gay.
That's pretty normal to me and I got used to it. But nowadays, saying that something is gay is not acceptable. How times changed.
We used to say that things are gay for stuff. Or for a straight male that looks a bit like a modern soy boy.
When did calling things or people gay become a problem? What's your take?
I think it started around 2012 when internet in general got a shit more mainstream and casuals/normies started using it.

tommycronin

Banned
It happened right when straight people started having a straight saviour complex around that 2010 era of Internet. Back then if something was gay that meant something went wrong or something looked stupid so I can why people with such a complex would try and crack down on the word.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I distinctly remember a time in high school I believe it was 2003, when I called fanny packs gay at a roundtable in my English class, and the group of proto SJWs I was seated with proceeded to argue with me about how equating gay with bad is unquestionably wrong. That was the first time I can remember encountering this pushback. I believe it stems entirely from the rise of PC culture and media propaganda normalizing gays, people are sponges for whatever entertainment media presents as reality.

DESTROYA

KOqI7lo.gif

Around the same time Obama became president and the push for political correctness

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
40 year old parent to their 10 year old kid: "Don't be angry Timmy. Just ignore the words the other students are saying to you at recess. It's just words"

40 year old being called gay: "WTF? Why are you calling me that? I'm calling the cops for a hate crime and going to double it up exposing you on Twitter! Hey Timmy. Remember what I said to you about recess bullies....... uhhhhhhhh.... duhhhhhhh.... forget what I said"

Timmy back to parent: "Not so easy is it?"

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I understand the sentiment but I also think it's not that big of a deal. Kinda goes both ways.

It probably shouldn't have ever become this widely accepted pejorative but it is what it is and it became widely accepted in the vernacular.

"Homophobia" felt especially rampant to me in the late 90's, early 2000's, and the popularity of Eminem at the time surely contributed to that.

You could say the same about "retard"/"retarded". It is what it is...

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's definitely not push from gay people, because they say shit, which I don't even use while game is kicking my ass.

Ar¢tos

Imagine being gay and hearing bad things being called gay... because they are bad...
Simple math.
It wasn't pleasant when I was a kid and I couldn't complain because I was fat and in the closet and surrounded by bullies that already tormented me for being fat, there was no need to give them more ammo.

It was only "normal" because gay people had much less voice back then.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine being gay and hearing bad things being called gay... because they are bad...
Simple math.
It wasn't pleasant when I was a kid and I couldn't complain because I was fat and in the closet and surrounded by bullies that already tormented me for being fat, there was no need to give them more ammo.

I mean that’s just the gayest thing I’ve ever heard.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Simple math.

Imagine being an overweight chunky guy my whole life (me) where everyone has a laugh at fat people (which I laughed with them). That includes being near the bottom of long distance running tests in high school gym class every year (I was probably about 27th out of 30 each year), friends saying my clothes look dumb when I try buying a nice button shirt which never fits right or looks good at the hip when you got a gut, and even my own nieces and nephews calling me fat with a smirk on their face.

And who knew. Some people don't really care and roll with the punches with them.

Didn't care when I was in school, and still don't in my 40s.

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
You should Call things gay, but only things that have a really gay characteristics, like “Rent” or “Cats”, or sandals for men…Or saying “Danny Pintauro is very very gay.”

You shouldn’t just use it to say something sucks.

Ar¢tos

Imagine being an overweight chunky guy my whole life (me) where everyone has a laugh at fat people (which I laughed with them). That includes being near the bottom of long distance running tests in high school gym class every year (I was probably about 27th out of 30 each year), friends saying my clothes look dumb when I try buying a nice button shirt which never fits right or looks good at the hip when you got a gut, and even my own nieces and nephews calling me fat with a smirk on their face.

And who knew. Some people don't really care and roll with the punches with them.

Didn't care when I was in school, and still don't in my 40s.
3hy7.gif

Kreen101

Simple math.

You don't have to tell anyone you're a homosexual, it can be kept private if you so choose. So it's not like any other feature that sets you apart, like race or obesity, where it's visible immediately and you can't hide it. Bunch of stuff about me I keep to myself!

Imo, this was the final crack before the dam broke altogether.

Once a stupid figure of speech became literally Hitler, the rest of the banned words and terms, each less and less offensive, followed with stunning rapidity.
This could be part of the Naration at the beginning of Idiocrocy and it would fit perfectly.

Funny enough, the world would turn in a complete 180. Where everything normal is faggy.

nush

The people complaining were the people that didn't get over being called gay in high school. So they hitched they wagon to the Gay Pride and got offended on their behalf as payback. Now it's just all sucked into the big ball of wokeness.

carlosrox

Banned
I still use gay/fag but I'm bi so fuck that I can say it if I want.

Sometimes nothing else fits.

It can definitely come across as super immature but I think it depends more how it's used and maybe by who.

lock2k

Banned
I still use gay/fag but I'm bi so fuck that I can say it if I want.

Sometimes nothing else fits.

It can definitely come across as super immature but I think it depends more how it's used and maybe by who.
I'm straight and I use it all the time. Zero fucks given.
It was always a pretty shit saying even when it was 'in'
So fierce, sis :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Maybe 25 years then. I remember it being looked down upon when I was in the second grade. The word retard too. Perhaps things were different where you live.
Lmao yeah ok dude. Pretty sure you're in the minority here. Everybody was using those words until like the late 2000s.

"I can say XXX but you can't say XXX because you're not XXX"

Top Bottom