• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since Sony is releasing their games on multiple platforms now, it make sense for them to resurrect their dead portable franchises on Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
With Sony outright declaring that they are going multi-platforms, I think this serves as a great opportunity to start resurrecting their dead portable franchises onto Nintendo Switch (which is slated to surpass PS4 sales worldwide).

There are several benefits for Sony here:

-They get more money from more sales. Playstation fans has already enjoyed those PSP games. Releasing them on Nintendo platforms means bigger sales opportunity since Nintendo fans haven't enjoy these games
-Exposure to these Playstation games means Nintendo Switch owners will be motivated to purchase a PS5 (just like how Playstation PC ports motivate PC players to buy a PS5)
-Old PS portable games such as Patapon or Resistance: Retribution gets another chance to shine. This time on Nintendo platforms (can be either enhanced HD remasters with much better gameplay and fun, or new game in the series)
-Switch is the market leader in Japan. Releasing them on Switch will allow Sony to reconnect to these Japanese players through Nintendo Switch platform

Its a win-win situation here for all parties. Sony gets more money, Nintendo fans get to play them, and more money to Sony means more development money to make games for Playstation fans.

Lol, "multi-platform" means PlayStation consoles and a small percentage of PC versions usually years later.

Sony won't be making Nintendo and Xbox games. The Show is the exception and Sony wouldn't do that if they could avoid it and still keep the MLB license.

I have to believe this is bait and that ArtHands ArtHands isn't actually this clueless.

Last edited:

Aldric

Sony are never going to make these weird creative typically Japanese games ever again, they're entirely focused on big blockbuster cinematic experiences now. I'd love a Gravity Rush 3 for Switch but it's never going to happen.

Jaybe

Laugh Lol GIF

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Sony's definition of multiplatform is:
First party games on PS consoles and maybe PC.
MLB Series on PS, PC and Xbox.
Bungies games on PS, PC and Xbox.
Any potential large publisher acquisition games on PS, PC and Xbox. (Their multiplatform statement makes this easier)

Last edited:
I think it's gonna just be following MS strategy.

PC. Probably cloud stuff next, which means mobile also. I don't think they'll ever put a thing on Switch.

kyoji

Can you send me a link to where they say occasionally?
If and when sony releases there live service titles day one with pc, will you be using that to say your narrative was correct? They have already said and are demonstrating how pc will get titles going forward at staggered releases at a much later date. Live service games however i think they will be day and date releases if not closely followed later, maybe even previous 3rd party publisher games (if acquired) that were already releasing games on pc.

But legacy studios (projects that arent live service based?) dont hold your breath.

yurinka

With Sony outright declaring that they are going multi-platforms, I think this serves as a great opportunity to start resurrecting their dead portable franchises onto Nintendo Switch (which is slated to surpass PS4 sales worldwide).

There are several benefits for Sony here:

-They get more money from more sales. Playstation fans has already enjoyed those PSP games. Releasing them on Nintendo platforms means bigger sales opportunity since Nintendo fans haven't enjoy these games
-Exposure to these Playstation games means Nintendo Switch owners will be motivated to purchase a PS5 (just like how Playstation PC ports motivate PC players to buy a PS5)
-Old PS portable games such as Patapon or Resistance: Retribution gets another chance to shine. This time on Nintendo platforms (can be either enhanced HD remasters with much better gameplay and fun, or new game in the series)
-Switch is the market leader in Japan. Releasing them on Switch will allow Sony to reconnect to these Japanese players through Nintendo Switch platform

Its a win-win situation here for all parties. Sony gets more money, Nintendo fans get to play them, and more money to Sony means more development money to make games for Playstation fans.
They won't release games from PS Studios on other consoles other than MLB. PS Studios will continue focused on PS exclusives and they'll port to PC a few old games per year.

Bungie will be the one who will release their future games (+Destiny 2 on Switch via cloud gaming) day one on all platforms including rival consoles, not PS Studios. If Sony buys a publisher, pretty likely will do the same than Bungie.

In addition to this, they plan to bring some of their PS IPs to mobile and to bring their cloud gaming to mobile. And well, Sony will use PS IPs to make movies and tv shows.

This is what they meant with going multiplatform.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
And make the Switch even stronger? I don't think so. Also who should do this? Takes a lot of time and employees they most likely would rather use for Pc ports.

God. Calm down already. They won't be releasing their games on PC on the first day. Forget.

If and when sony releases there live service titles day one with pc, will you be using that to say your narrative was correct? They have already said and are demonstrating how pc will get titles going forward at staggered releases at a much later date. Live service games however i think they will be day and date releases if not closely followed later, maybe even previous 3rd party publisher games (if acquired) that were already releasing games on pc.

But legacy studios (projects that arent live service based?) dont hold your breath.

Actually, they could be bringing games to PC Day 1 if their PC launcher/storefront plans are as robust as they need to be for that. Since it would be their own storefront (one that they can also monetize with ad-supported and tier sub models outside of people actually buying games on the storefront), they could "essentially" treat it as a virtual console or platform extension of their ecosystem.

But it depends on how the PS PC launcher/storefront plans shape out. Otherwise, no Day 1 there for anything outside of most of the live-service GaaS titles, which boils down to Bungie's games and maybe stuff like Firesprite's upcoming game.

Knightime_X

I'm more excited for PlayStation launcher on PC. Valve doesn't make games anymore. So theybhave an opportunity to take over PC with their amazing games
Unless they include older games, sony doesn't have much to offer outside of a handful of games like Bloodborne and classic titles pre ps4.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You missed the biggest benefit which they did before by releasing & publishing on PC.
building relationships with developers & publishing for those developers and then snatching up exclusives.
People tend to forget Sony published some big PSX exclusives on PC and then started publishing 3rd Party Exclusive for PC while also retaining some for the PSX and eventually being completely exclusive on PS2.
money is to be had this is true, but Sony wants more then that in their endgame.

SLB1904

Banned
Unless they include older games, sony doesn't have much to offer outside of a handful of games like Bloodborne and classic titles pre ps4.
All 3rd parties will migrate. Sp they will have the same library as steam plus the amazing Sony first parties. That's a win win

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I mean. It would make sense, since nobody buys a PlayStation for those games anymore. They could even republish the same games with the bare minimum of uprezzing and still sell more than they would on an actual Sony console.

But 1) Sony would never bend the knee that far, 2) it‘d take time and resources away from bigger projects, and 3) the meltdowns, while glorious, would still be bad press.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Been floated on here before.

On the one hand, it makes zero sense.

On the other, you can’t help but feel that Gravity Rush, KillZone, Uncharted, Little Big Planet and Tearaway would sell millions of copies on the Switch.

They won’t do it, but if they did it would be very fruitful IMO.

Kurimao

NO to new Sony games on Switch, but rereleasing old Sony portable games on Switch is a YES.
Gimme Soul Sacrifice, Patapon, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Feeedom Wars, Syphon Filter PSP.

You missed the biggest benefit which they did before by releasing & publishing on PC.
building relationships with developers & publishing for those developers and then snatching up exclusives.
People tend to forget Sony published some big PSX exclusives on PC and then started publishing 3rd Party Exclusive for PC while also retaining some for the PSX and eventually being completely exclusive on PS2.
money is to be had this is true, but Sony wants more then that in their endgame.

Those folks need to go look for those Wipeout PC adverts. Just scour some Next Generation magazine archives, they're there.

I don't think sonys idea of multiplatform includes Nintendo and xbox. They are obviously talking about PC.

Outside of stuff like MLB The Show and maybe Bungie's next live-service game, yeah, "multiplatform" here means PS/PC and even then, there are lots of caveats.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ever? Oh, well can YOU send me a link verifying that?

They might in the future, but sir...you still need to give a link yourself even stating all games or day and date or something like that. Right now, its selective on certain titles, years away as they have only a few port teams to do those ports.

Could change sure, but no link has been provided by you to support your own claim, to then be asking for others to disprove your own argument that you didn't give a link to lol

Meesh

Totally agree, there's no doubt tons of games that would make sense, bring back those old Final Fantasies!
Weird as it sounds though, the better the eshop and NSO gets the more worried I get thinking about transferring data to Switch2 for some *NIntendo* reason.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Can you send us a link where they said every last one was coming to PC? They seem more selective on this and don't even have enough port studios to do day and date, let alone ALL titles or something.

So this is based on certain titles that do very well, its not a blanket, default, ALL TITLES day 1 type thing.
I don't believe it's all titles at all even though my contact said "PC is getting all the games." I interpreted that as the PC will have at least all the most popular exclusives. That's all I can tell you but I believe someone working for Sony Corp than you guys' insecure claims about the PC not getting the best of the exclusives.

Calverz

Lol, "multi-platform" means PlayStation consoles and a small percentage of PC versions usually years later.

Sony won't be making Nintendo and Xbox games. The Show is the exception and Sony wouldn't do that if they could avoid it and still keep the MLB license.

I have to believe this is bait and that ArtHands ArtHands isn't actually this clueless.
Well in fairness they want to become “more multi platform”. That to me means more than they are right now. So I’d expect to see the pc releases a lot quicker in all honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom