• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Tease Clarified by Guillermo del Toro

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new conversation on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, del Toro was asked about whether or not he was teasing anything tied to Silent Hill during The Game Awards. In short, del Toro made it clear that he wasn't, and he was instead just trying to have some fun. "Not at all. Look, it's just one of those things in my life that makes no sense. But I kind of just wanted to tickle the ribs of Konami a little bit," he explained. He went on to say that he still regrets that Silent Hills never came to fruition, largely because he had so much hope for it. "I don't understand, that was so perfect," he said of the canceled title. "The match, what we were going to do, was so enthralling."

Despite Silent Hills getting shut down by Konami, del Toro still had nothing but good things to say about his time working with Kojima. "But Kojima is one of the guys that is a filmmaker. [...] I love talking to filmmakers and storytellers," he said. Despite this love for the Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding creator, del Toro also acknowledged that he doesn't see himself working in video games again. "Gaming, as a storytelling exercise, fascinates me," del Toro said. "I would not develop a game again because I'm the albatross of video gaming. But I am very intrigued by the devices and how you learn them."

Was silent hill really that big of a franchise to warrant all these annoying tease lol
Did millions of people weep man tears when it was cancelled? Yes. Yes we did.

sad alex jones GIF

Doom85

giphy.gif

It WAS a huge franchise but it bled a slow death the last 15 years or so.

Which is why I think so many people were excited for the possibility of a quality Silent Hill game after a decade or so of shit games as opposed to if Kojima had signed on to a franchise that had still been keeping the quality up. Sure, some fans might have moved on for the time being, but I imagine most if not virtually all of them would return if Silent Hills had come out and lived up to the hype.

Kdad

In a new conversation on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, del Toro was asked about whether or not he was teasing anything tied to Silent Hill during The Game Awards. In short, del Toro made it clear that he wasn't,
it isnt a tease if its real
and he was instead just trying to have some fun. "Not at all. Look, it's just one of those things in my life that makes no sense. But I kind of just wanted to tickle the ribs of Konami a little bit," he explained. He went on to say that he still regrets that Silent Hills never came to fruition
Because it isn't called Silent Hills anymore, its Silent Hill: Abandoned
largely because he had so much hope for it. "I don't understand, that was so perfect," he said of the canceled title
So, he doesn't like the name change
"The match, what we were going to do, was so enthralling."

Despite Silent Hills getting shut down by Konami, del Toro still had nothing but good things to say about his time working with Kojima. "But Kojima is one of the guys that is a filmmaker. [...] I love talking to filmmakers and storytellers," he said. Despite this love for the Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding creator, del Toro also acknowledged that he doesn't see himself working in video games again. "Gaming, as a storytelling exercise, fascinates me," del Toro said. "I would not develop a game again
Because the game is already completed and in the can baby
because I'm the albatross of video gaming. But I am very intrigued by the devices and how you learn them."
#TeamReal4Ever

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In a new conversation on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, del Toro was asked about whether or not he was teasing anything tied to Silent Hill during The Game Awards. In short, del Toro made it clear that he wasn't,
it isnt a tease if its real
and he was instead just trying to have some fun. "Not at all. Look, it's just one of those things in my life that makes no sense. But I kind of just wanted to tickle the ribs of Konami a little bit," he explained. He went on to say that he still regrets that Silent Hills never came to fruition
Because it isn't called Silent Hills anymore, its Silent Hill: Abandoned
largely because he had so much hope for it. "I don't understand, that was so perfect," he said of the canceled title
So, he doesn't like the name change
"The match, what we were going to do, was so enthralling."

Despite Silent Hills getting shut down by Konami, del Toro still had nothing but good things to say about his time working with Kojima. "But Kojima is one of the guys that is a filmmaker. [...] I love talking to filmmakers and storytellers," he said. Despite this love for the Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding creator, del Toro also acknowledged that he doesn't see himself working in video games again. "Gaming, as a storytelling exercise, fascinates me," del Toro said. "I would not develop a game again
Because the game is already completed and in the can baby
because I'm the albatross of video gaming. But I am very intrigued by the devices and how you learn them."
#TeamReal4Ever

e6ad4d99-2ab0-4629-adb8-a9d2fa67bfeb.gif

Was silent hill really that big of a franchise to warrant all these annoying tease lol

By itself it was. Then they attached annoying Kojima the hype machine and all of a sudden people think he will be able to make a better game. But id say SH 1-4 are god tier.....rest is just lost in translation...literally.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No, as much as I love it, the teases and the idea of a new Silent Hill game is more popular than the franchise ever was.

The bolded is the honest to god truth! And we got a sniff of that in P.T. too! Mah god, how interesting that demo was.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Which horror games are your replacements for Silent Hill?
Without all the scrutiny, Resident Evil is on its way. If it can reboot itself after Village with a tale of deep psychological horror - it could very well do the job. Village had some PT vibes to it already. Resident Evil as a franchise will always have a big defense force behind it, but it could absolutely cross paths. The question of rather or not they keep avoiding humans turning into zombies is what’ll set them apart yet again. As someone who grew up playing each RE and SH since the beginning, I’d personally just like to see them hit that mark again - the town, the music, the characters, the unknown reason to why they’re there in the first place, and that vibe of knowing something you cared for is somehow a ghost haunting you. I don’t personally dive deep on YouTube searching for someone to explain either franchise. I have a good memory, as do lots of people.

Silent Hills was a huge loss for the Silent Hill franchise. Not only did we lose a large development team working on the franchise, we gained a bunch of people copying that exact style. Which is not bad when it works, but it was only a slice of what everything could have been. I don’t think we will ever see that same type of talent behind this franchise. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a replacement that’s on the same level as Silent Hill. I would just expect good horror games, like Resident Evil. Resident Evil VII and Village are the closest games that have such a mix bag of fans who love it for going in that direction and fans criticizing the franchise for doing what it did.

He has nothing more to add and that should be sad to the gaming world. His first class ticket was basically taken away from him and he doesn’t care to purchase another one. That’s what really sucks if you ask me. Sure, that’s nice he says things about video games, but it’s basically saying something nice before exiting the building.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Honestly? It never was THAT big and I say that as someone who loved 1, 2, 3 and even SM on a good day.

It sold 9 million copies over ten games and twenty years (5 million for the first four episodes), which is good but not bulldozer franchise tier.

To me the biggest question is HOW do you make a modern Silent Hill? First person like RE7? Behind the shoulder camera like The Evil Within? Fixed camera? It feels like it’s going to be impossible to keep the feel of the old games with modern gamer tastes.

He’s in denial mode huh. Whats he going to say… “Yes, i was absolutley teasing the new Silent Hill that me and Kojima are working on…”

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't buy the "tickling the ribs of Konami".
It's not because I want to believe there's a new Silent Hill in the making, it's because Guillermo del Toro knows better than most that Konami simply doesn't care about what some western dude says about them during some western awards show.

Top Bottom