• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Will “Faithfully Stick To The Traditional Story Canon”; Certain Areas Will Be Adjusted

Draugoth

Gold Member
Silent-Hill-2-1456x819.jpg.webp

Speaking with DreadXP, Bloober Team's Chief Marketing Officer Anna Jasińska has been asked about the game and how it came to be. Apparently, Konami invited the Polish developer alongside others to Tokyo Game Show 2019, asking them to prepare a concept for a Silent Hill 2 remake. Bloober's concept is the one that, according to Chief Marketing Officer, "stole Konami's heart", and made them recognize the studio's passion and commitment to horror.

The idea of working on this project stalked us for many years, and in 2019, we received an invitation from Konami to participate in the Tokyo Games Show. To our delight, Konami asked us to prepare a concept for a remake of the original game’s second installment in exchange for the opportunity of bringing the concept to life. Of course, we weren’t the only contenders. Many other studios were vying for cooperation as well, but in the end, our concept was the one that stole Konami’s heart. They recognized our commitment and passion for horror, and that alone was an enormous distinction for us.

We are focusing on bringing the distinct, visceral atmosphere back in the modernized Silent Hill 2. Longtime fans shouldn’t worry about us “missing the point” while we’re livening up the title. We faithfully stick to the traditional story canon while remaking the gameplay and updating the graphics from the ground up. These are the reasons why Konami entrusted us with the remake in the first place.

A big visible change is the adoption of an over-the-shoulder camera, which altered the perspective of a few iconic set pieces, but also meant an overhaul to the combat system. The latest technological achievements do wonder when it comes to making the visuals pop. As you see, we are not straying away from the original concept of making this cult classic; we just have some ideas on how to make the peculiar scare factors more appealing to the contemporary audience.

Arachnid

It's the greatest story in gaming, so thank god for that. I am worried about if they'll do a good job of translating the characters though. James seems like a complete miss from the one trailer I've seen.

Okay, so I guess the answer is my question that previous games in the series are canon and this is not a full-blown reboot.

Which is great to hear because I like Silent Hill: The Room.

ZoukGalaxy

*PS: Oh, we forgot, Maria is now a trans, Laura is asian, Eddie is black and James is 18 years old, we made these slight adjustments for modern audience, you won't notice them*

Chill, it's only a joke... isn't it BlooBloo ?
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Makes you wonder what the Silent Hill HD Remaster devs were thinking. “Let’s take away the fog, change this font to Comic Sans, and butcher the lighting”.

Makes you wonder what the Silent Hill HD Remaster devs were thinking. “Let’s take away the fog, change this font to Comic Sans, and butcher the lighting”.
That wasn't entirely their fault, though. Konami were idiots and didn't keep the final source code for the games. Instead they were given the source code for an Alpha build that was really buggy. And they were on a time crunch. Just another Fuck Konami moment. Hopefully, those days may be over.

-Zelda-

Banned
That wasn't entirely their fault, though. Konami were idiots and didn't keep the final source code for the games. Instead they were given the source code for an Alpha build that was really buggy. And they were on a time crunch. Just another Fuck Konami moment. Hopefully, those days may be over.
The fact that we have to keep telling idiots that and also providing sources for it is an absolute tragedy.

*PS: Oh, we forgot, Maria is now a trans, Laura is asian, Eddie is black and James is 18 years old, we made these slight adjustments for modern audience, you won't notice them*

Chill, it's only a joke... isn't it BlooBloo ?
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

I was going to say this is a Japanese developed game so likely not but then I forgot the developers who are making the remake are probably American or European so sadly you might be right.

ZoukGalaxy

I was going to say this is a Japanese developed game so likely not but then I forgot the developers who are making the remake are probably American or European so sadly you might be right.
They are from Poland. And their game are not known for being very "finished" sadly.
(Yes, I avoided the word you were all expecting as I didn't to hurt anyone and look as a racist because I'm not 😹).

I wish the devs were Japanese. I can dream.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think we see the problem of not having the right people to work on your game with Kickstarter games that fail to meet expectations. You don’t have to look very far for experts in software engineering. There’s someone writing a wiki who knows how the engine works on PS2. There’s a lot of questions. I bought it, but I also had Silent Hill 2 on PS2 the day it came out like a lot of us did.

I’ve been a fan since the first game on PS1. I rented it all the time back in the day. I think this looks great. I just think that they could have done something by now or at least someone out there knows what could have been done.

They are from Poland. And their game are not known for being very "finished" sadly.
(Yes, I avoided the word you were all expecting as I didn't to hurt anyone and look as a racist because I'm not 😹).

I wish the devs were Japanese. I can dream.
It took me about a minute to figure out what you meant and then I realized if you use the word polished, it can be seen as a pun.

The Polish are pretty awesome. My grandmother was from Poland. The Poles gave us GOG, the best thing that has happened to digital distribution of games in my opinion.

Last edited:

kunonabi

They shouldn't have been using the source code to begin with and the game has loads of artistic design changes that had nothing to do with crunch.

ZoukGalaxy

It took me about a minute to figure out what you meant and then I realized if you use the word polished, it can be seen as a pun.

The Polish are pretty awesome. My grandmother was from Poland. The Poles gave us GOG, the best thing that has happened to digital distribution of games in my opinion.
Found ! Polished was indeed he word but the pun was so overused for Cyberpunk 2077 that I prefer to avoid it 😹

Hell yeah, I love them too and will NEVER thanks them ENOUGH for GOG, clearly one of the best thing happened to PC gaming ever and for game preservation 💖

Oh nice to have some Polish blood, hope you still have some family there, it's always nice and make things easier to discover Poland and region around (I'm so glad they are member of Europe), I'm just hoping that what's happening in Ukraine will not reach them or any others country around..
BUT you have now some responsibility in case Silent Hill 2 Remake fails, the devs Japanese ghosts will pursuit you until the game is... Polished.

Ok, I did it, sorry.
Sad Shame GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
Having Konami's approval doesn't really hold much water considering what they did with all of their popular IPs in recent years, but I still have some faith in Bloober Team because The Medium really did feel like a Silent Hill game in terms of atmosphere and presentation. Now, if they only make sure to make a game that also has a decent gameplay, then this might be not terrible after all.

consoul

"These are the reasons why Konami entrusted us with the remake"

The same Konami that entrusted the franchise to other awful whoring-out opportunities before? Phew.

"our concept was the one that stole Konami’s heart."

Konami's heart went missing long before TGS2019.

Last edited:
Having Konami's approval doesn't really hold much water considering what they did with all of their popular IPs in recent years, but I still have some faith in Bloober Team because The Medium really did feel like a Silent Hill game in terms of atmosphere and presentation. Now, if they only make sure to make a game that also has a decent gameplay, then this might be not terrible after all.
Well they put that dude that used to be at Nintendo in charge of the IP. Motoi Okamoto. I think he knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom