• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 remake has reached the late stage of production – development has been underway since 2019

jesus christ y'all are fucking obsessed with phil spencer .. how did this Silent Hill 2 thread turn into a spencer bitch-fest

I think it started with this.

Yeah maybe they have a deal like that.

Sony is good at marketing and other Japanese companies don't know how to do it.

Still it's limiting market in big way for niche titles like this.

They should follow Yakuza lead and put it on gamepass like service for optimum exposure, if you are trying to build a long term franchise that is. Take a wad of cash instead, from MS.

I wouldn't mind a slew of low budget sequels or spin offs, provided they share the general consensus and gameplay that has already been established.

Just about anybody can land up in Silent Hill.

Just about anybody can land up in Silent Hill.

So Mario got cucked by Peach and now haunted by his inner demons he stumbles upon a foggy town.

James Franco Flirt GIF

I was relieved when I found out Townfall uses the Unreal Engine 5, and that the group is hiring genuine talent. I was worried it was going to be more pedestrian, walking simulator or interactive story, Steam style trash.

Knot3D

WTF is this stupid term "walking simulator" , some Gen Z bullshit or what?

Look, most games that fall under the category umbrella of ADVENTURE GAMES, happen to play as protagonist on foot.
But style of traversal isn't what determines them - it's about the kind of scenario and style of interaction that make it adventure gaming.

Back in my time, playing Castle on the IBM XT wasn't a "walking simulator" either, just because you play as a character on foot in a castle.
The more realistic the setting/premise, the less outrageous the protagonist interactions/capabilities will be. Same with James, he isn't gonna
pull some superhero moves - so it's basic humanoid walking/running in what is basically an adventure game.

Last edited:
WTF is this stupid term "walking simulator" , some Gen Z bullshit or what?

Look, most games that fall under the category umbrella of ADVENTURE GAMES, happen to play as protagonist on foot.
But style of traversal isn't what determines them - it's about the kind of scenario and style of interaction that make it adventure gaming.

Back in my time, playing Castle on the IBM XT wasn't a "walking simulator" either, just because you play as a character on foot in a castle.
The more realistic the setting/premise, the less outrageous the protagonist interactions/capabilities will be. Same with James, he isn't gonna
pull some superhero moves - so it's basic humanoid walking/running in what is basically an adventure game.

OK. Maybe that's not exactly the word I was looking for. But in general, I meant games where you just look at things, or answer questions. Not games where you free roam.

I was meaning to say I hope these newly announced games aren't anything like that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m in no rush. I was actually thinking about booting up my 360 copy on my Series X. I know it’s not the best port, but it’s still good. I’ll play it in 2024 on my X.

I love The Last of Us. It's probably in my three favourite games of all time list. But I have no interest in getting the glorified remaster just yet. If it comes down in price, maybe. But I have honestly played through it a good number of times on the PS4. What's gonna be different besides the graphics receiving a paint job?

Silent Hill is primarily why I became interested in getting a PS5. Sure, yes. There's other games I support more, or just as much. But I never lost hope that Konami would revive the franchise. I knew it was going to be a crappy long wait. But I refused to let people say I was chasing something that wasn't true. I couldn't believe that. I had to be on Team Real. So when I realized the PS5 had been out for 2 years, I just had to get one. As the rumours got more aggressive, I just knew I had to.

It was a bleak time to be a fan over these past 7 years or so since P.T. was cancelled. But I never really gave up hope. It was hard, but we all got through the grief as a cohesive unit.

I love The Last of Us. It's probably in my three favourite games of all time list. But I have no interest in getting the glorified remaster just yet. If it comes down in price, maybe. But I have honestly played through it a good number of times on the PS4. What's gonna be different besides the graphics receiving a paint job?

Silent Hill is primarily why I became interested in getting a PS5. Sure, yes. There's other games I support more, or just as much. But I never lost hope that Konami would revive the franchise. I knew it was going to be a crappy long wait. But I refused to let people say I was chasing something that wasn't true. I couldn't believe that. I had to be on Team Real. So when I realized the PS5 had been out for 2 years, I just had to get one. As the rumours got more aggressive, I just knew I had to.

It was a bleak time to be a fan over these past 7 years or so since P.T. was cancelled. But I never really gave up hope. It was hard, but we all got through the grief as a cohesive unit.
Unless is shit.

Knot3D

OK. Maybe that's not exactly the word I was looking for. But in general, I meant games where you just look at things, or answer questions. Not games where you free roam.

I was meaning to say I hope these newly announced games aren't anything like that.
SH2; we know the framework, Bloober/Konami will probably not deviate from the baseline interactions 99.99% sure. The new over-the-shoulder cam and new combat system should
improve things. A big part of SH2 is of course the level design and forced cinematic camera angles for specific set pieces to convey SH2's metaphorical dive into James' mental abbyss; Ergo, plunging into deep holes.

New monsters could potentially also indicate a bit more variety to interactions.

Isn't Townfall rumoured to be the game with short stories?

I found out it's gonna have the Unreal Engine 5, which is what the SH2 remake is being built upon as well. So yes. Maybe it's going to be a proper game with exploration and key elements of the franchise. Not some 'select here' type storyboard hooey. Like Until Dawn is. Not that there's anything wrong with that if this sub-genre excites you. But personally, I want an actual game that's like the other games. Even if it's in first person, I will take that provided it's actually survival horror.

Man, I was rather concerned at first. Giving the low budget nature of some of these projects too, I was not expecting miracles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bloober Team spoke to Lords of Gaming recently about the work on the Silent Hill 2 remake as well as the development of Layers of Fear, the latest game in Bloober Team's own horror series. The developer naturally dodged the initial question about when the game would release seeing how it doesn't yet have a release date, but Bloober Team head of production Kacper Michalski was a bit more forthcoming with info about what the remade version of Silent Hill 2 will look like compared to the original.

"The town of Silent Hill has been reworked using state-of-the-art technology, and all creatures have been recreated with more eerie visuals," Michalski said. "The creatures' battle AI has also been enhanced to keep gamers on their toes. In addition to visuals and sound, the story experience is a focal point. We have delved into the emotional expression of every character, including the main character James, while respecting the acclaimed scenario of the original story."

Piotr Babieno, the CEO of Bloober Team, shared comments back when the game was first announced to say that the developer and Konami would "set new standards for the genre and deliver an unforgettable experience for the next generation of fans." Some people, however, have been skeptical of Bloober Team's involvement with the project based on how past games like The Medium have been received.

kunonabi

[/URL]

Bloober Team spoke to Lords of Gaming recently about the work on the Silent Hill 2 remake as well as the development of Layers of Fear, the latest game in Bloober Team's own horror series. The developer naturally dodged the initial question about when the game would release seeing how it doesn't yet have a release date, but Bloober Team head of production Kacper Michalski was a bit more forthcoming with info about what the remade version of Silent Hill 2 will look like compared to the original.

"The town of Silent Hill has been reworked using state-of-the-art technology, and all creatures have been recreated with more eerie visuals," Michalski said. "The creatures' battle AI has also been enhanced to keep gamers on their toes. In addition to visuals and sound, the story experience is a focal point. We have delved into the emotional expression of every character, including the main character James, while respecting the acclaimed scenario of the original story."

Piotr Babieno, the CEO of Bloober Team, shared comments back when the game was first announced to say that the developer and Konami would "set new standards for the genre and deliver an unforgettable experience for the next generation of fans." Some people, however, have been skeptical of Bloober Team's involvement with the project based on how past games like The Medium have been received.
I'd bet my house that none of this is going to end up being true. Maybe enemy AI but that's only because SH2's enemies were extremely pathetic to begin with. That said, it is bloober so they might still botch that anyway.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
[/URL]

They have the blueprint since it's a remake and they have showed they can produce great visuals

It would be pretty hard to mess this up IMO

luca_29_bg

I'd bet my house that none of this is going to end up being true. Maybe enemy AI but that's only because SH2's enemies were extremely pathetic to begin with. That said, it is bloober so they might still botch that anyway.

The entire game is using nanite and lumen, so yes these tecniques are state of the art technology! For the rest, we'll see!

april6e

I've purposely avoided trying out this franchise for a decade now because I knew they would someday remake SH2.

I'm glad that I'll finally get to experience it in 23 or 24'.

Some people are concerned changes will occur. For example, the remake of RE2 (by a different company but a great choice of game to bring up here, surely) had shades of the 1998 version of RE2, but it also gained many, in my opinion, drastic changes. This resulted in what can be best summed up as being a complete overhaul. So people think SH2 could be in for the same treatment, upon seeing the recent update from Bloober Team about changing some stuff to appease the current generation. Which just sounds, uh. Super dumb!

Top Bottom