• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Announced | PS5 & PC

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
My new favorite highlight of this thread is Represent. gawking at a 60 FPS trailer thinking it's 30 FPS. You're in the wrong thread mate, Gotham Knights is the other way.
I'd gladly take the L on this, but I've seen nothing from them stating its a 60fps console game...? Official PS Blog says nothing about 60fps.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'd gladly take the L on this, but I've seen nothing from them stating its a 60fps console game...? Official PS Blog says nothing about 60fps.
The original trailer was 30 fps but the new 4k trailer is 60 fps. Likely the PC build. He’s saying you were impressed by something you saw running in 60 fps.

If the game is targeting 1080p 30 with low settings on a 8 tflops gpu then the 10 tflops consoles will likely be 1080p 30 fps at medium settings so you are right to celebrate that. If this was targeting 1080p 60 we would be looking at a 5 tflops game with no where near the level of fidelity we are seeing here.

Rykan

They haven't announced any framerate modes yet. Bloober and Konami announced a partnership in June of 2021, so this is probably somewhat early in development. The trailer is most certainly 60 FPS.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Wait so it's not even out in 2023? Why even show it now? It's gotta be out next year, surely?
shannon-sharpe-shannon.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ok the 4k trailer looks stunning and too good to be true. Especially the final few shots of his face. They look CG. Dont look like realtime faces we have come to expect from ND and GG.

But IF this is realtime then questions must be asked. Why is it that fucking Team Bloober is showing better graphics than ALL of the so-called AAA first party studios across both MS and Sony studios. IF this is realtime that is.

It's just super duper sampled PC version of the game running in the trailer. Looking at the animations it screams of AA studio work. It looks so jammy and the facial animation is worse than AAA games. Kind of like plague tale. I think they are using their expertise in tech making it look better by using high end PC footage and only really lacking in not having motion capture rigs like Sony etc.

Think it could end up being OK, but I played through the medium and found it entertaining, not amazing but entertaining. So I guess you could say this looks like prime game pass material thanks to the developer. Maybe it comes to ps plus at launch? The budget looks low.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The original trailer was 30 fps but the new 4k trailer is 60 fps. Likely the PC build. He’s saying you were impressed by something you saw running in 60 fps.

If the game is targeting 1080p 30 with low settings on a 8 tflops gpu then the 10 tflops consoles will likely be 1080p 30 fps at medium settings so you are right to celebrate that. If this was targeting 1080p 60 we would be looking at a 5 tflops game with no where near the level of fidelity we are seeing here.
I see. UE5 is insane. Either way I don’t care the game looks great. The gen is practically now starting. Really looking forward to seeing what Sony studios do with Decima this gen.
They haven't announced any framerate modes yet. Bloober and Konami announced a partnership in June of 2021, so this is probably somewhat early in development. The trailer is most certainly 60 FPS.
It looks great. However if the trailer was captured at 30fps then whatever the trailer is running at is irrelevant. If it was captured at 60, mindblown. It’s about time

However I’m still playing at 30 because it’ll look even better:messenger_peace::messenger_heart:

The game looks great I’m not here to shit on 60fps right now

Rykan

I see. UE5 is insane. Either way I don’t care the game looks great. The gen is practically now starting. Really looking forward to seeing what Sony studios do with Decima this gen.

It looks great. However if the trailer was captured at 30fps then whatever the trailer is running at is irrelevant. If it was captured at 60, mindblown. It’s about time
The game was captured at 60 fps. If the trailer was originally broadcasted at 30 fps, I haven't seen the live reveal, then that is probably due to it being livestreamed. The gameplay footage itself is 60.

Cool thing about the trailer is it gave me the same feels I felt when they revealed the original silent hill 2

I remember the facial models being the cream of the crop on ps2, anyone else remember the old man pics?

This trailer reminded me of that

Knot3D

Cautiously optimistic.

Comparing OG James mirror scene 'prendered CGi face' with this Unreal 5 realtime mirror face is apples to oranges of course.
It's only fair if you compare the new one to the actual ingame model of the PS2 version (assuming it's all realtime UE5)
In terms of style, the sculpt of his new face is obviously leaning towards the actual actor this time around.

The biggest difference however is the damp/post rain shower setting. The OG SH2 had a foggy but dry weather kind of feel to it.
I guess specular is the easy way make the visuals pop a bit more.

Also, I'm not sold on the over-the-shoulder camera gameplay change - but eh...I won't judge it until we see some properly finished gameplay footage.
However, I'm mostly concerned about the script updates and voice acting delivery, especially for Angela and her spectacular psychological transference.

Vick

Gold Member
Mixed feelings, honestly.

James looks like the most generic character ever seen. Not a fan of his face at all and same for the body type, as those tiny shoulders under that big head look like shit.. and this matters considering it's going to be in front of the player for the entire experience.
Visuals look great, even faithful, but as others have said something's off and it's probably due to the art direction.

My biggest issue with it is that at the moment it's missing the subtle, but extremely powerful, disturbing feeling the OG had that made it special and immortal, the ability to convey heavy dread in every single frame.
Some could say it's a matter of dated graphics helping, but it's not as SH2 was known for this even at launch when it was the best looking game ever, and especially because P.T. managed to perfectly capture and even improve on that same exact feeling while looking photorealistic.
Quite a troublesome issue as it's not easy to identify and improve on, just something you feel and register almost subconsciously.

But still, let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

Sakura

Not really a fan of the protag redesign. Looks good otherwise though, at least based on what was shown.

tommib

Mixed feelings, honestly.

James looks like the most generic character ever seen. Not a fan of his face at all and same for the body type, as those tiny shoulders under that big head look like shit.. and this matters considering it's going to be in front of the player for the entire experience.
Visuals look great, even faithful, but as others have said something's off and it's probably due to the slightly off art direction.

My biggest issue with it is that at the moment it's missing the subtle, but extremely powerful, sick feeling the OG had that made it special and immortal, the ability to convey heavy and disturbing feels in every single frame.
Some could say it's a matter of dated graphics helping, but it's not as SH2 was known for this even at launch when it was the best looking game ever, and especially because P.T. managed to perfectly capture and even improve on that same exact feeling while looking photorealistic.
Quite a troublesome issue as it's not easy to identify and improve on, just something you feel and register almost subconsciously.

But still, let's hope for the best.
I really don’t like the design of James. He was an American hunk for a reason. It made sense with all the sexual themes. This trailer also shows him reacting in really exaggerated ways.

James was this sexually frustrated blank-faced blonde hunk, kind of dumb. In this trailer it’s almost like they’re victimising him to bring compassion. I don’t know. It’s weird.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Nothing Bloober has made makes me think they can effectively recapture the subtle dread, atmosphere, and themes of SH2. This is likely to be a competently made, but ultimately far inferior version of a game that didn’t need a remake in the first place.

This is Konami wanting to make as much money from as little effort as they can.

I’m just hoping it’ll be good enough to justify at least one play through.

yazenov

Glad it's a PS5 console exclusive as the devs will focus on a single console configuration to maximize its potential and features.

I get the criticisms that it's team Bloober, however, its a remake of an existing game that has the story and settings already established so it doesn't take rocket science to remake the game, just some technical prowess development-wise to bring it up to date to the current gen hardware. And the game is being developed in Unreal Engine 5 which is easy to develop on as per other anecdotes from developers.

imo this has no chance of being adequate. Ok, the story is the same. But you realize you can tell the same story worse, right? The derpy face and nurses tell me that Bloober will bloob and take both the subtlety and dream-like atmosphere out of this. Oh look at how sad James looks for what he's done, he's being punished - get it??? Sorry Bloober, but fuck off. The original was like a weird Lynch-esque trance, not the melodrama that these hacks seemingly go for.

All that was needed was a good HD remaster with analogue controls and better visible items. Meh.

Last edited:

tommib

imo this has no chance of being adequate. Ok, the story is the same. But you realize you can tell the same story worse, right? The derpy face and nurses tell me that Bloober will bloob and take both the subtlety and dream-like atmosphere out of this. Oh look at how sad James looks for what he's done, he's being punished - get it??? Sorry Bloober, but fuck off. The original was like a weird Lynch-esque trance, not the melodrama that these hacks seemingly go for.

All that was needed was a good HD remaster with analogue controls and better visible items. Meh.
You’re 100% right but I don’t think anyone else would do it better. Being subtle and lynchian is a producer’s nightmare. Just look at Netflix. It’s all narrative exposition being spoon-fed through constant melodrama. Everything needs to be served pristine and clear and understandable. It’s a bigger problem. It’s an audience problem.

SALMORE

the original game was almost perfect ! it didn't need a full remake , they should have remade Silent hill 1

Top Bottom