• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Has the Best Depiction of an Abuse Survivor in Games

angelash2-800x400.jpg

Silent Hill 2 is renowned as a masterpiece. Some enthusiasts may even argue it’s the greatest game of all time, no small feat for a title released in 2001. Many attribute this to the dramatic difference in tone compared to the other mainline titles. Whereas they invoke the aesthetics of physical torture, blood, rust, and pain to an almost Barker-esque level, Silent Hill 2 takes the “softer” and moderately more cerebral route of guilt, disgust, emotional trauma, and decay: decay of one’s will to live, decay of the mind, decay of the soul, and decay of the surrounding world as you, yourself, wither away.

No character is more emblematic of this tonal shift than Angela Orosco, the first human James Sunderland meets upon beginning his search for his missing wife. Angela’s story is a heartbreaking portrayal of childhood abuse and subsequent mental trauma unheard of in game narrative at the time — and unmatched even now. Set piece by set piece, the game shifts her from wide-eyed and neurotic young woman to a fiery and mentally anguished accuser who functions as a dark mirror for James. It all begins in heavy fog, in a long-forgotten cemetery, with Angela scanning tombstones and searching for her mother.

“I’m looking for my mama… I mean my mother…”

Angela’s uncomfortable, stilted delivery when she speaks to James for the first time telegraphs her neurosis. She also exhibits well-used vocal tics that are common among abuse survivors and sufferers of illnesses like post-traumatic stress disorder. When approached, she recoils instinctively and apologizes immediately. “I’m sorry,” is a constant refrain from her throughout the game, and in the real world, it’s a tell to recognize someone who’s suffered heavy abuse in some form.

Angela’s trauma is also present through her physical appearance. Though she has the clothing, figure, and general outward aesthetics of a woman in her mid 30s, this is not factually the case. Angela Orosco is actually 19 years old, barely out of adolescence but weathered by abuse physically and mentally.

No one will ever know what Angela actually sees when she looks at herself in the mirror, but we get a small glimpse of what it may be when James next encounters her in a barren, mirrored room.

silenthill2-768x435.jpg

“You’re the same as me. It’s easier just to run. Besides… it’s what we deserve… Are you afraid?”

Angela traumatically disassociates heavily as a result of an upbringing with an abusive alcoholic father. As she stares at both herself in the wall-sized mirror and a bloody knife in her hands, she seems almost hypnotized. She can’t remember what she was there for, can’t remember telling James anything; she’s barely there at all.

Disassociation is a common symptom of childhood trauma that, at an extreme level, can morph into what is now known as dissociative identity disorder, where alternate personalities emerge as a coping and compartmentalization mechanism. When James eventually snaps Angela back to reality, she panics and begs him to leave her alone, pleading, “I’m sorry… I’ve been bad… Please, don’t!” This refrain is repeated in the most harsh and disgusting set piece in the entire game, if not the entire series.

All monsters in Silent Hill 2 are avatars of trauma and suffering, but Angela’s guilt and shame birth something far more sick and violating than even James’ Pyramid Head or condom-esque nurses. Angela is accosted by the glistening, contorted embodiment of her worst nightmares: Abstract Daddy, the personification of her repeated rapes and sexual abuse at the hands of her father.

“You could just force me. Beat me up like he always did.”

Abstract Daddy is a sentient bed sheeted in mottled, thin flesh. This blanket of skin covers two humanoid forms, one large, one small. The larger body is that of a male adult covering a small child’s body, and between her legs a dark bloody patch stains the “bed.” It is rot and unnatural and a horrible, sickening weight on top of a small form perpetually screaming in agony. Its arena is no better. The walls and floor are rippled and decayed uterine-like flesh, punctured by lesions through which metal pistons pump ceaselessly in and out. Again. And again. And again. After its death, Angela needs to make sure “he” is dead and smashes a broken TV set onto its head in a rage, mirroring whatever went through her the night she stabbed her father to death.

This disgusting display has been retroactively made even worse by the designer, Masahiro Ito, who agreed with a sentiment in February 2019 that “Abstract Daddy is probably tame to James compared to Angela.”

This speaks volumes to how much that outsiders can never truly understand the pain and trauma of someone else, no matter how much they think they do, no matter how much they want to help. What does she see? How many times has Angela been raped and beaten in Silent Hill by these monsters that we and James can’t even fathom in their full form?

abstractdaddy-768x322.jpg

“…Maybe you think you can save me? Will you love me? Take care of me? Heal all my pain?… Hm. That’s what I thought.”

So where is Angela’s mother in all this? If Angela has been going through this hell looking for her, one would presume her mother loved her. It certainly seems that way when James meets her for the final time on the burning staircase. Angela, fully back in the childlike state of voice we heard hours before, seems relieved to see James because she’s hallucinating he’s her mother. “Mama” is the only one left. Finally, Angela can rest.

But it isn’t mama; it’s James. So finally, Angela snaps. She accuses James of selfishness, of not really intending on helping her, of being disgusting and a monster. She would know, better than any one else in Silent Hill actually, because she’s known men like him before. She’s been hurt by them. She’s been raped by them. She’s killed them.

And the so-called help that people are supposed to give but don’t? Causing pain and agony the way James did when he smothered his wife instead of being there for her, making her feel loved and safe? She’s seen that too. Because the one person who should have been there in her nightmare of a childhood, her mother, stood by and not only did nothing, but put the entire blame on the little girl who could not have possibly done less wrong. Angela reveals that “even Mama said it… I deserved what happened.”

But no, she didn’t, nor did Mary deserve her illness and murder, but Angela was abandoned anyway and became the one person in the tormenting grasp of Silent Hill that did not deserve to be there for a single damned second. This poor young girl is wandering alone through hell with blood on her hands that she should never have to feel guilty about and shame and filth in her soul she never deserved, having atrocities committed upon her by an uncaring and vindictive world.

sh2last-768x432.jpg

“You see it too? For me, it’s always like this.”
Angela hits home like a punch to the gut more than any character in Silent Hill 2, even with her comparatively short screen time, because of the time and care taken by the creative team to treat her trauma and pain with respect. She is real, heartbreakingly real. You see little girls like her on the news every day, but so rarely in media like video games. There is no one like Angela Orosco. No character ever comes close, not in impact or authenticity. It is the most sincere, loving, and kind portrayal of a mentally ill girl who just wanted to find her mom.

This nuanced and impactful portrayal is why, when Angela ascends the burning stairs to die alone, enveloped in the inferno around her, there are no jokes to be made. No satire articles exist for her, no off-color jokes, just respect and occasional tears.

And when Angela Orosco is on screen, nobody speaks.

giphy.gif

Naibel

This game was very much ahead of its time, in terms of writing, character depth and the themes it tackled.

I mean, so many thinkpieces and analyzes are made out of this game nowadays, even though it came out nearly 20 years ago ! That's insane !
This one for example is pretty damn good as well :

I personnaly never thought I would be this moved by a video game, a survival horror of all things.

I thought I would be scared shitless when playing it. I ended up with tears in my eyes. The last part of the game at the hotel was absolutely heartbreaking.

A work of art and the best game I've ever played, period.

Geki-D

Banned
Just think Senua is more fleshed out.
She's the main character, so that's normal. The article praises Angela because her past is very much based in reality and her reactions & outcome feel real. People in the real world actually act in the same way.

Senua on the other hand... fights monsters because she cray-cray, yo.

Psykodad

Banned
She's the main character, so that's normal. The article praises Angela because her past is very much based in reality and her reactions & outcome feel real. People in the real world actually act in the same way.

Senua on the other hand... fights monsters because she cray-cray, yo.
And Senua's past isn't based in reality?
Parents who mistreat their children and completely destroy them psychologically causing mental issues like psychosis and schizofrenia?

Because that's exactly what Hellblade was depicting:
Her fighting her inner demons.

Last edited:

wingsfan242

Gameumentary Film Editor
Hey guys, EIC of Escapist here. Thanks for sharing the article, but...did OP have to copy paste the entire thing in? The writer worked hard on this piece, putting lots of hours of research in to write this up. Not really fair to have her entire article just copy pasted in here like that. Would appreciate if that was updated to just a summary as a courtesy to the writer of this piece.

Have a good one!

KOMANI

KOMANI
Ive never been a fan of Donna Burke’s voice acting as Angela. Angela’s character is a really sad character and well written. Her character model appears as a corpse that Heather can inspect in SH3.

Terenty

I would also like to point out to MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima that the heart-wrenching moment in Kojima's best game MGS3 where you the player are forced to pull the trigger and end The Boss's life as she lay helpless and dying on the ground before you was ripped straight from SH2.

How so? I played both and cant remember anything like that in SH2

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
How so? I played both and cant remember anything like that in SH2

Final boss (Mary or Maria, depending on which path you’re on) falls to the ground in a cinematic after being defeated. Once the cinematic ends, you regain control of James and he’s standing right next to the monster. Then she starts saying “James.....James....” over and over until you attack her again, then the ending starts.

MiguelItUp

My absolute favorite game of all time for an extremely long laundry list of reasons that I won't get into, but I'm sure you all know.

When Silent Hill 2 released on PS2 I got it as fast as I could and played my heart out. I was 16, and the experience it gave me is something that I will forever carry with me. At that age I had never played a game that touched on such dark & mature themes, I honestly thought something like it would've been on PC before console.

The music, the characters, the story, the art, just everything about it. It scared me, it weirded me out, and it made me emotional multiple times. It was all incredibly well done and I will always love it and never forget it.

Arachnid

Now this is a thread for me.

It wasn't just Angela's arc either, though that was perfection. Eddie was a fantastic depiction of the effects of bullying and negative self-image. Fuck, I love Silent Hill 2. The game is perfect storytelling and art.

Last edited:
Good thread. I only played the game once a few years ago, but it's stuck with me. Those bed monsters were perfect for getting the horror of accuse across without being too graphic. That takes skill and care. Still feel sick thinking about it. I need to replay it. Wish there was a remaster.

Karma Jawa

One of the greatest games I’ve played, but it’s messed with my head a bit.

Played the awful ‘remastered’ version on the PS3 a few years ago, and basically didn’t realise I was living the game in real life. My fiancée was very ill, and not being a perfect human being I’d feel not so much resentment but frustration at the situation, and felt ashamed at being attracted to the pretty nurses attending her.

There was also a lot of guilt (just to be clear, I didn’t smother her with a pillow). I remember playing the game and feeling like I was living through my own nightmare.

She died just over a year ago, and some of those themes burrowed into my head. I’d never play it again as I’d probably have a complete breakdown. That game makes me shudder because today it feels like an omen of what took place.

Sorry for the depressing post. I honestly feel like a real life James Sunderland, and looking back that game seems disturbingly prophetic.

Gargus

Banned
Shouldn't Senua from Hellblade take the crown?

No because they took a simple idea, expressed that idea in several interesting ways, created an interesting character expression then drove that fucking shit into the ground by constantly non stop slapping the player with it until a unsatisfying ending.

If it didn't come during the whole strong woman metoo and mental illness trends society had going on it wouldnt have been praised as highly as it was.

Was a good game to be sure but it was a one trick pony that was forced center stage to do that one trick till it died from exhaustion.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
One of my favourite games of all time, seriously if PS5 has PS2 disc BC?
First thing l'm gonna do is replay this Masterpiece

KOMANI

KOMANI

Played the awful ‘remastered’ version on the PS3 a few years ago, and basically didn’t realise I was living the game in real life. My fiancée was very ill, and not being a perfect human being I’d feel not so much resentment but frustration at the situation, and felt ashamed at being attracted to the pretty nurses attending her.

There was also a lot of guilt (just to be clear, I didn’t smother her with a pillow). I remember playing the game and feeling like I was living through my own nightmare.

She died just over a year ago, and some of those themes burrowed into my head. I’d never play it again as I’d probably have a complete breakdown. That game makes me shudder because today it feels like an omen of what took place.

Sorry for the depressing post. I honestly feel like a real life James Sunderland, and looking back that game seems disturbingly prophetic.
My condolences.

Naibel

Man, where's the cry reaction emoji when we need it... :messenger_sad_relieved:

Condolences to you. Hope life still offers you ways to be happy in the future.

Bkdk

To me the story is ok, but I play silent hills at the time for their excellent music, sound, monster and atmosphere design. Also I like the way it gives player to make some choices that will at least affect the ending somewhat. Still hoping kojima San will get to work on silent hill in the future. I really don’t enjoy death stranding but the same design philosophy should work way better for silent hill, hopefully the multi ending and slight story branching tradition will be also be kept.

Karma Jawa Karma Jawa , actually the biggest grip for silent hill 2 is not to let you keep Maria, am sure if I’m in your situation I’ll be attracted to the lovely nurses too ha!

Last edited:

Terenty

Final boss (Mary or Maria, depending on which path you’re on) falls to the ground in a cinematic after being defeated. Once the cinematic ends, you regain control of James and he’s standing right next to the monster. Then she starts saying “James.....James....” over and over until you attack her again, then the ending starts.

Err, no sorry

Virex

Banned
If you enjoyed Silent Hill 2. Read the book Solaris by Stanislav Lem. I always thought that Silent Hill 2 took a lot of inspiration from Solaris. But I'm probably wrong. But the similarities are there none the less. Silent Hill 2 is an amazing game and Solaris is an amazing book.

Terenty

I’d be interested in hearing an explanation beyond “err, no sorry” since they are literally the exact same thing.

How are they literally the same?
There is nothing heart wrenching in that particular moment in Silent Hill 2. James was done with his hallucinations at that point, so him killing his deformed wife is nothing like Snake and the Boss.

Top Bottom