• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Signalis |OT| Enemy Zero

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm about an hour in. Just took the elevator to the top floor of the first proper starting area.

This game is fantastic. Dripping in atmosphere. And more tense than RE:Village, which I liked!

This one's going to be a cult classic if: A) it doesn't drop the ball later and B) it isn't already.
Yeah gotta beat this, Norco and Ragnarok in the next 3 weeks lol. Everyone is loving this game.

Hugare

This game looks really cool, but I hate anime aesthetic in horror games

To me, it takes me out of the experience

But I'll certainly pick the game up eventually

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Guys...this game was something else. I'd recommend it to any fans of Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and/or sci-fi/psychological horror.

But it was too much for me. I got a little way through
the third section proper, what is basically pulsating flesh Hell
on my own, but it was too freaky, disorienting, and claustrophobic, so I ultimately chickened out. I'd say that's effective horror. Ended up watching the rest of the playthrough on YouTube. Turns out I was only about a half-hour away from the end.

Amazing game. It's OG Resident Evil in gameplay, but its style is something wholly unique. I hope rose-engine are able to make more games in the future; they're a group to watch in the future for sure.

Also, if anyone could share how to a blur spoiler instead of a button, I'd really like to know! TIA

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I gave up after that first boss. Shit is too tedious.
By tedious you mean easy right?
I beat it [the first boss] with ease but once I got to the lower floors and the rooms were filled with those stupid zombies I was like fuck this shit.
So you gave up on it [Signalis], or you beat it [Signalis] with ease.....which is it?
After I whooped that bitch's ass. Do you speak English?
Your own words asshole [BPX].... "I gave up after that first boss. Shit is too tedious."
So maybe learn to write responses that actually make sense. I'm betting you never even played it [Signalis] at all.

Here's the receipt
We don't need receipts....we need coherent responses. If someone says they gave up on something, the implication is they quit. So you said you quit and then you said you beat it [Signalis] with ease, hence my question asking you which one it was.

Thanks for coming by to this lesson in the usage of words and comprehension of the english language (which you asked if i speak) Oh the irony....
Jesus dude take I chill pill!
Follow your own advice. Nothing i asked you prior warranted that response. Maybe you meant to sign into your Era account today?

Class:
Notice how BPX's use of the word "it" (pronoun) above refers to the "first boss"(the antecedent). The pronoun is related to its antecedent (in this case, quite clearly!) through what's called "context".

However, if you had continued reading, you would have noticed that SloppyJoe made an error in assuming "it" referred to
"Signalis" as a whole. As a result, BPX's "Do you speak English?" jab is retorted with more explicit inflammatory language in SloppyJoe's colloquial redefinition of his [SloppyJoe's] conversational partner (see: "asshole" above).

This illustrates the importance of what's called "reading comprehension"--especially when it comes to online written communications!

In the next lesson, we'll cover how to needlessly insert yourself into a weeks-old forum argument when you see needless antagonism and it really gets your goat.

bender

What time is it?
Class:
Notice how BPX's use of the word "it" (pronoun) above refers to the "first boss"(the antecedent). The pronoun is related to its antecedent (in this case, quite clearly!) through what's called "context".

However, if you had continued reading, you would have noticed that SloppyJoe made an error in assuming "it" referred to
"Signalis" as a whole. As a result, BPX's "Do you speak English?" jab is retorted with more explicit inflammatory language in SloppyJoe's colloquial redefinition of his [SloppyJoe's] conversational partner (see: "asshole" above).

This illustrates the importance of what's called "reading comprehension"--especially when it comes to online written communications!

In the next lesson, we'll cover how to needlessly insert yourself into a weeks-old forum argument when you see needless antagonism and it really gets your goat.
160195.gif

bender

What time is it?
Made it past the first boss today. After a really strong first impression, I'm not feeling it. I think it mostly has to do with combat and enemy design, not really scary or challenging but more so tedious. I really hate that they borrowed the match mechanic from The Evil Within. It's a shame as I really like the presentation.

Last edited:

Roberts

A bit late to the party, but I finally got in the appropriate retro mood and finished it. Glad I got the 'promise' ending - don't know how others play out, but this one felt perfect considering what happens in the story.

I'm usually a bit snarky when it comes to purely allegorical stories, but this one packs a punch, I think. Cryptic and I am not going to pretend I understood it the way the developers intended it, but it is one of the fascinating video game stories last year. Very art house, very personal. It's like early Fritz Lang, Kubrick, Lynch, Haneke and a few Japanese artists got together, travelled in time to GDR, then to late 90's and made a game about love, connection and cancer. I can see it working as a comic or a novel maybe, but it is purely a videogame story and that's refreshing when most creators want to emulate film.

I liked all the gameplay "limitations" like limited ammo as well as limited inventory space and puzzles were fun - not particularly hard but always intuitive. Good stuff, definitely in my top 20 of 2022.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Started this today, over 3hrs in, definitely scratching an itch for me although I think the inventory stuff is a bit too tedious. I'm fine with that stuff but it feels more Code Veronica than RE2/3 in that way. Very cool though, will definitely finish.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Started this today, over 3hrs in, definitely scratching an itch for me although I think the inventory stuff is a bit too tedious. I'm fine with that stuff but it feels more Code Veronica than RE2/3 in that way. Very cool though, will definitely finish.
I loved it. By the end I was swimming in ammo I never used so let loose sometimes if youre a horror veteran.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: AV

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Finished it tonight, it's pretty good. Quite quickly started to feel like a chore considering the 6 slot limit and the fact that you can sprint past like 90% of encounters, was just a game of running things to and from a box - but, it's short, so it didn't bug me too much. Another act would have been too much. 6 slots should have been 8 and it should have been more difficult overall as a result, just wasn't balanced very well. Great aesthetic though. Didn't realise two people made it, pretty impressive.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finished it tonight, it's pretty good. Quite quickly started to feel like a chore considering the 6 slot limit and the fact that you can sprint past like 90% of encounters, was just a game of running things to and from a box - but, it's short, so it didn't bug me too much. Another act would have been too much. 6 slots should have been 8 and it should have been more difficult overall as a result, just wasn't balanced very well. Great aesthetic though. Didn't realise two people made it, pretty impressive.
It was a little cumbersome at times. 6 slots would have worked for me if some of those items were just built in, like the flashlight and a few other super small ones.

AV

It was a little cumbersome at times. 6 slots would have worked for me if some of those items were just built in, like the flashlight and a few other super small ones.

Yeah, the flashlight thing was a pain. Soon as I picked it up I never even glanced at a prod, injector or flare because no way I'm carrying both when I'm gonna need the torch regularly. Felt like the item limit really made most of the items feel useless. I get what they were going for, but RE almost always succeeded in balancing it in such a way that it never felt like a pain.

nikolino840

Finished all or just the first ending? Fighted the final boss with the spears?

AV

Finished all or just the first ending? Fighted the final boss with the spears?

Lmao I got absolutely bamboozled. Thought it was over and it was just a very vague "not good" ending. Moved on to chapter 3 now.

Thank god for mods though, given myself an extra 2 slots for the torch and something else. Game is objectively better with them.

kjBgjPG.png

nikolino840

Lmao I got absolutely bamboozled. Thought it was over and it was just a very vague "not good" ending. Moved on to chapter 3 now.

Thank god for mods though, given myself an extra 2 slots for the torch and something else. Game is objectively better with them.

kjBgjPG.png
Yeah because you said short game and i remember like 12-15 hours to the real ending and is not so short for a small indie game 😂

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A cyberpunk retro-aesthetic survival horror game! SIGNALIS explores the fading consciousness of an android looking for their lost memories.

CHAPTERS:
0:00 - INTRO
2:22 - Starting up: Tank Controls!?
3:32 - SIGNALIS
5:14 - Authentic Retro Horror!
8:57 - Weapons and Combat
13:00 - Resource Management
19:07 - Presentation and Music
21:33 - Story and Themes
27:48 - Final Thoughts and Conclusion
31:44 - End Slate

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
There's a scarce number of games which make me start a second playthrough right after finishing the first.
This is one of those games.

It's a superb distillation of the classic PS2/Gamecube survival horror.
It's so heavily inspired by those games that it even copies the RE inventory (if you play as Chris) and the save points are taken straight out of Silent Hill 2.
YMMV on the inventory stuff but I'm enraptured by the whole package.

It's tense, it's atmospheric, it's gorgeous to look at, and it sounds even better. It's one of the best games of 2022 and, quite possibly, one of the best survival horror titles ever wrought by the hands of man (well, in this case, by a man and a woman, which is even more impressive).

I can't recommend this game enough. It's easily my GOTY for that year and it lives rent free in my head.
Absolute masterpiece.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

This game is fucked, but I loved it. Not so much for its gameplay (which I have 0 nostalgia for) but the rest of it.

MIssed the OT way back when.

Last edited:
I was enjoying it until I realized the "zombies" were coming back alive randomly when I revisit the rooms, which is a lot. I just cant do that type of gameplay anymore.

Fuck nostalgia wank making games deliberately blurry is not cool. Yes I too played videogames in the 90s but... I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK. Spend thousands on GPUs and TVs for a reason.
But there's a mod for that!

Otherwise this game is pretty cool.

Top Bottom