• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Signalis |OT| Enemy Zero

Denton

But I'll take this tedious gameplay any day over the triple A blockbusters with a false sense of danger or being in control and press a button or two during cutscenes.

I dunno, the last game I played of this type that was AAA, Resident Evil Village, I enjoyed significantly more than this. Much more variety and immersion.

You said it's tedious as hell for you and i sure wonder why you even keep carrying on playing then. Only for the atmosphere although you don't like the game?

I don't like giving up on games I already invested significant amount of time in, and I like being able to judge them in full after properly finishing them.

And yes, there are of course gameplay mechanics. You can shoot enemies and light their bodies on fire and do puzzles.
But the fetch quest nature of it is groanworthy anyway. That moment when I spend running around there and back again to get into some place, only to, while later, encounter yet another door that needs six gimmick keys to open..my immersion goes out the window.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I dunno, the last game I played of this type that was AAA, Resident Evil Village, I enjoyed significantly more than this. Much more variety and immersion.

I don't like giving up on games I already invested significant amount of time in, and I like being able to judge them in full after properly finishing them.

And yes, there are of course gameplay mechanics. You can shoot enemies and light their bodies on fire and do puzzles.
But the fetch quest nature of it is groanworthy anyway. That moment when I spend running around there and back again to get into some place, only to, while later, encounter yet another door that needs six gimmick keys to open..my immersion goes out the window.
To each their own i guess. Iam glad you pull through to get the whole picture.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
52483285702_6d881b67a7_o.png

52483285682_d0959d9c9a_o.png

52484243995_525ea38655_o.png

52484243960_d3b2ffb528_o.png

Last edited:

Alex11

Well, I really liked RE Village, but it's different, even if it is AAA, it doesn't have QTE's, forced walks or a skill tree just for the sake of it.

Denton

Finally finished. Playtime some 12 hours, MEMORY ending. I liked the sadness of the ending and it left a decent impression. Overall I would give Signalis 7/10. Impressive effort for two people team, retrovibe and atmosphere is 10/10, the world, with the german Nation setting has potential.
But some annoying backtracking, fetchquest relying and simply too long a length for its own good drag it down. Story is interesting, but to be honest I am not a huge fan of these "open to interpretation" stories where most stuff is vague and undefinitive.
Still, a good game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This seems like a nice hidden gem doesn't it ?!
Even less people talking about it than The Forgotten City (my last hidden gem discovery).
Wish it was full in 1st person. Looks so good... I've not played it yet. Only watched some twitch but I think I will give it a chance

Downloaded this last night and played for about 4 hours, its a really good throwback to classic survival horror.

Really dont like not having my map in some parts, it doesnt make it scary just annoying cause I play high af and get lost easy

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

SPOILER WARNING
A Replika makes a promise with her Gestalt, and I get a special delivery.

00:00 - Intro
02:26 - History
05:10 - Story
12:49 - Spoiler Break
14:36 - Spoilers
48:31 - End of Spoilers
49:33 - Gameplay
01:00:21 - Sight/Sound
01:07:34 - Conclusion
01:11:21 - Credits
01:16:02 - End

Isa

Finally finished. Playtime some 12 hours, MEMORY ending. I liked the sadness of the ending and it left a decent impression. Overall I would give Signalis 7/10. Impressive effort for two people team, retrovibe and atmosphere is 10/10, the world, with the german Nation setting has potential.
But some annoying backtracking, fetchquest relying and simply too long a length for its own good drag it down. Story is interesting, but to be honest I am not a huge fan of these "open to interpretation" stories where most stuff is vague and undefinitive.
Still, a good game.
I agree with this. One of my few complaints would have to involve the length. I get that game designers like to use something they put time and energy into, but sometimes they can overdo the mechanic making it seem tiring and more of a novelty. At first its like oh wow that's so cool or amazing but after the 3rd-6th time its grown stale. I think a hallmark of masterful game design is knowing when to let go and when to deliver. Like never tell the same joke twice. Its why certain elements of say Metal Gear Solid hold such high regard nearly thirty years later.

Still love the game though, excellent work. Survival Horror where I get to grow and defend myself with puzzle elements is among my all-time favorite game types with loops that just keep me coming back for more. Recently replayed RE8 in 3rd person and it was a blast. Can't wait for 4 remake. Wishing the best for the team.

tommib

I agree with this. One of my few complaints would have to involve the length. I get that game designers like to use something they put time and energy into, but sometimes they can overdo the mechanic making it seem tiring and more of a novelty. At first its like oh wow that's so cool or amazing but after the 3rd-6th time its grown stale. I think a hallmark of masterful game design is knowing when to let go and when to deliver. Like never tell the same joke twice. Its why certain elements of say Metal Gear Solid hold such high regard nearly thirty years later.

Still love the game though, excellent work. Survival Horror where I get to grow and defend myself with puzzle elements is among my all-time favorite game types with loops that just keep me coming back for more. Recently replayed RE8 in 3rd person and it was a blast. Can't wait for 4 remake. Wishing the best for the team.
Bro fist. They could’ve cut 30% of the game for a stronger punch. Extending game length dilutes ideas, visuals, mechanics… Still one of the games of the year but I’m with you in thinking it could be shorter.

Filben

Finished it yesterday after 10hours and a half. Really loved the creepy tone and atmosphere and the cryptic story and lore; it's a mix you don't see often... if at all. Symbolism similar and relating to the German Democratic Republic with Chinese influence and references to the German and Chinese "Kaiserreich" paired with sci-fi elements and Ghost in the Shell vibes with Resident Evil/Silent Hill gameplay? Holy moly. That's A LOT. But it works out. It's such a strange game and story but ultimately beautiful. Really enjoyed it.

The game managed to trick me into thinking it was over. It really plays with player's expectations at moments.

One of the very few games I've bought at launch without any discount and I'm glad I did.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Game is good (purchased it on PS). About 2 hours in now. It’s not the second coming of Jesus though as some have made it to be.

jaysius

Banned
By tedious you mean easy right?

You literally just move back and forth avoiding it until it drops to its knees for that one attack exposing its face and then blast with your guns. Literally takes 2 minutes if you're using the shotgun.
Nope, dealing with all the jank, there are times the first boss would go into it's "DOWNED STATE" and it's hit point wasn't accessible and then you had to waste more precious ammo on it.

There's "old school" and then there's shitty design.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am sort of put off with the anime style character, however everything else is really exceptional. I am nearing the end and god damn what a surprise this game is.

I wanted to even make thread here about it, because I didn't see this one. I played on GamePass, but I will buy it on Steam, for later play and just to support. It's just a 2 people making this incredible thing.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
By tedious you mean easy right?

You literally just move back and forth avoiding it until it drops to its knees for that one attack exposing its face and then blast with your guns. Literally takes 2 minutes if you're using the shotgun.

I beat it with ease but once I got to the lower floors and the rooms were filled with those stupid zombies I was like fuck this shit.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Your own words asshole.... "I gave up after that first boss. Shit is too tedious."

So maybe learn to write responses that actually make sense. I'm betting you never even played it at all.

Here's the receipt

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Here's the receipt

We don't need receipts....we need coherent responses. If someone says they gave up on something, the implication is they quit. So you said you quit and then you said you beat it with ease, hence my question asking you which one it was.

Thanks for coming by to this lesson in the usage of words and comprehension of the english language (which you asked if i speak) Oh the irony....

Yeah I'm probably going to drop it. They took away the map in a fairly large zone, and trying to figure out what to do while also trying to figure out how the hell to get back to where I think I need to be, is annoying and wastes my time

Edit: really enjoyed it though...might just look up the map online honestly...

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah I'm probably going to drop it. They took away the map in a fairly large zone, and trying to figure out what to do while also trying to figure out how the hell to get back to where I think I need to be, is annoying and wastes my time

Yeah i didn't understand the taking away the map completely in the later areas either. The game has a tense atmosphere which it does great, but having to remember exactly where specific rooms are in the midst of all that was a bit much at times. I encourage you to stick with it though if you can, even with that annoyance, i'm still plugging my way through it.

Bartski

Gold Member

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Signalis is the debut title from Rose-Engine, and seems to be flying under a lot of people's Radars, is that because it's not worth noticing, or is it a hidden gem?

A classic survival horror experience set in a dystopian future where humanity has uncovered a dark secret. Unravel a cosmic mystery, escape terrifying creatures, and scavenge an off-world government facility as Elster, a technician Replika searching for her lost dreams.

Outlier

I played it last week. It's good, but not for reasons most might be hoping for

It's a very small indie game, heavily inspired by Silent Hill, anime, cyberpunk, and whatever german/asian political influences.

The draw of the is the world lore. It's the most interesting aspect.
The gameplay is silent hill, with some simple puzzles, but I can only recommend it for the interesting story and world lore.
The anime art turned me off to an otherwise very interesting experience.

SJRB

Gold Member

I'm usually not really into music videos but this was dope.

What a game.

If the physical version that's coming out in February has som nice goodies I'm definitely double-dipping.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm about an hour in. Just took the elevator to the top floor of the first proper starting area.

This game is fantastic. Dripping in atmosphere. And more tense than RE:Village, which I liked!

This one's going to be a cult classic if: A) it doesn't drop the ball later and B) it isn't already.

Top Bottom