• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Signalis |OT| Enemy Zero

tommib

zB4YSEf.png

SIGNALIS is a classic survival horror experience with a unique aesthetic, full of melancholic mystery. Investigate a dark secret, solve puzzles, fight off nightmarish creatures and navigate dystopian, surreal retrotech worlds as Elster, a technician Replika searching for her lost dreams.

After her ship crash-landed on a remote, snow-covered planet, the Replika Elster is looking for her missing crew member. In her search she wanders through the ruins of a seemingly abandoned underground labor camp, surreal visions of cosmic horror, and flashbacks to a past that isn't hers. As the lines between reality and dream blur, Elster has to venture into the depths below the planet's surface to learn what has happened to her and why - but mysterious encoded radio signals and a Replika with dark intentions are not the only obstacles she has to overcome along the way.

Inspired by classics of the genre like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, the gameplay of SIGNALIS is a love-letter to the golden era of survival horror. Central to the game is its unsettling mood and multilayered story. To advance in the game, the player has to solve various puzzles by breaking codes, using radio signals or by combining objects. Combat is only a last resort since ammunition is scarce and enemies are not easily defeated, so players must carefully choose when to fight and when to run.

Developer:
rose-engine
Based in Hamburg, Germany

Release date:
27th October 2022

Platforms:
Steam
Xbox One
Xbox Game Pass
PlayStation 4
Nintendo Switch
Humble Store
Humble Games Collection

6fX7eR1.png
1nm97wk.png
irO5oxO.png
Hj1qXTW.png
EV6wLQS.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Looks amazing but I'm a huge bitch and can't deal with scary games.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how scary is this?

jaysius

Banned
The old school shitty save system is retarded in 2022, I know what they're going for, but you should get checkpoints, almost makes me not want to play it to prevent wasted time.

So far into chapter 2 the story is great, the combat is intentionally shitty, but even with that, they've made it ok enough.

So far it's a 65/100 because they chose the shitty save system, if you don't mind potentially having your time completely wasted then it's more like a 75 or maybe 80.

Respecting player's time is important in gaming in 2022.

Someone asked how scary this is? I dunno so far into chapter 2 it's about as "scary" as RE 1 or a little less than that.

Don't pay too close attention to the review scores on this one if they're higher than they should be Humble Bundle games are notoriously padded in scores.

Last edited:

tommib

Looks amazing but I'm a huge bitch and can't deal with scary games.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how scary is this?
A 5? I don’t think it’s scary at all. Very moody but you don’t feel major threats at least on my initial 2.30 hours. The soundtrack isn’t scary, for instance. Atmospheric, sure, but there’s none of that impending opressive doom from Resident Evil. Haven’t died yet.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I noticed and echo your complaints regarding the save system. Thank fuck for quick resume.

The old school shitty save system is retarded in 2022, I know what they're going for, but you should get checkpoints, almost makes me not want to play it to prevent wasted time.

So far into chapter 2 the story is great, the combat is intentionally shitty, but even with that, they've made it ok enough.

So far it's a 65/100 because they chose the shitty save system, if you don't mind potentially having your time completely wasted then it's more like a 75 or maybe 80.

Respecting player's time is important in gaming in 2022.

Someone asked how scary this is? I dunno so far into chapter 2 it's about as "scary" as RE 1 or a little less than that.

Don't pay too close attention to the review scores on this one if they're higher than they should be Humble Bundle games are notoriously padded in scores.

Awesome OT tommib tommib 👊🏼

Isa

Thanks for the OT! This game is amazing for me so far, and done by just 2 dudes?! Some indies are alright, but in some respects they went above and beyond. I wish for more music, but when its there its great. The world, the HP Lovecraft nods, the isolation, the special effects over the oldschool style 3D is great looking. The puzzles are also quite nice from what I've played so far. I'm actually drawn to read all the notes and stuff. I really like the story telling as well. Quite the surprise for me I must say. I suspect this one will be in the higher end of my best of year list. Well done devs!

Bartski

Gold Member
Around 1.5 h in and it's so good I don't think anyone needs to look at it through a retro game lens to appreciate it.

Speaking of lenses, most screenshots I'm seeing online are from the default render mode, while the CRT emulation mode is where it's at. Try it.

ssringo

Gave it about an hour to confirm what I already thought: this is my jam. Very atmospheric and very retro.

...but it has unfortunate release timing. I'm balls deep in Persona 5R and about to have RE:Village DLC and Bayonetta 3 taking up game time as well. Gonna have to leave it on the back burner for a bit but will definitely return to it.

OK, questions...spoiler ahead. Hopefully someone can clear it up.

After you go down the hole after you get out the crashed ship, when you're in the bathroom, is that the past?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Alright, this is my last pick-up before GoW. Much like 'Prodeus' this is a game that came completely out of left field for me. I'm about 90 mins in, digging it. Art style is on point, atmosphere has a palpable, consistent tension in line with the best survival horror titles. I like the perspective shifts and I'm already intrigued by the narrative, should be a good time!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Gonna get this next week, looks great.

Lamentum is another modern retro-survival horror worth checking out. I think it was also made by 2 people.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Games seems to be really special after only 1 hour. The opening credits with Chopin in the background are one of the best ever. The style of this game is through the roof !

Yes that was a great little moment.. The classical music and the big screen filling white words/characters on a black background definitely gave me NGE vibes like I said before.

The game seems to take place in an universe where Germany China and Russia combined in a Empire. At least that's my interpretation.

Love the Orwellian esque vibe been displayed through the manuals, computer records etc ..

Last edited:

Gudji

Was going to get this on steam but checked the xbox app... guess what? Another 1€ gamepass promo. Thanks Phil. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EDIT: Holy shit really enjoying this am probably still in the tutorial zone tho.

Last edited:

tommib

Great work tommib tommib

This game was completely off of my radar until I saw Avalanche Reviews video on this. It's on game pass so there's no excuse for me not to give it an honest shot.
It’s a real gem. Everything works. The style and post-modern jump cuts in the presentation are gorgeous. Reminds me a bit of Wong Kar-Wai with those massive inter-titles with big red fonts. It’s a sight to be hold. Not only is it the perfect modern survival horror, the presentation elevates the whole thing. Transcendent almost.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Played a few hours and really liking it so far. Opted not to play this first time through in CRT mode as it's too blurry on my bigger TV.

Love the style and atmosphere.

Fell in love with the demo during the next fest earlier this year, and the full game is just amazing. Had to put the other stuff im playing on hold until I finish this sometime this weekend.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This game came out of nowhere and all these great reviews and the trailer convinced me to grab this off PSN today!

Cant wait to dig in later!!

• Strength

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm late into my all-survival second playthrough for 1000/1000 and this really is one of the best indie games in years.

The metagame here is on a different level, love the collective effort to unpack the story and some truly obscure conditions for all currently uncovered 5 endings...

The community has just managed to figure out how to get the possibly final, secret, good ending, which involves capturing SSTV signals received around the game and decoding them to picture with 3rd party software.

Just a WILD thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/1262350/discussions/0/3473990693214672582/ don't go in there unless you beat the game at least once.

I'm now in the area past the first boss, game continues to impress, something very nostalgic about it, like the original RE or Dino Crisis or Silent Hill, I could be playing a PS1 classic and I mean that as the highest compliment.

It's funny how acquiring something as simple as a flashlight can make one overjoyed in a title like this lol, it's the little things. I've been contemplating certain narrative elements but I'll wait until after I've finished it to dive deeper with my thoughts.

Kubrick homage for the win, that carpet is iconic. Oh and I have to assume corpse burning mechanic was inspired by The Evil Within (love that game and it's sequel to death), I don't know of any other survival-horror game that did something similar prior though I haven't played *all* of them.

Last edited:

Isa

Fell in love with the demo during the next fest earlier this year, and the full game is just amazing. Had to put the other stuff im playing on hold until I finish this sometime this weekend.
That's what I did. Even RE8 3rd person which I was waiting forever and a day for lol. Also Star Ocean. I just had to see more. I was wondering if there'd be different endings, I'm only missing 3 achievements. took me 10 1/2 hrs. I like to call it Resisilentgearsolid. Some hallways and spaces remind me so much of MGS sneaking lol. I love all the different radio stuff the player can mess with. My only slight complaint would be that picking up items doesn't pause the game like RE, so in a tight moment one is especially vulnerable reading through the command text.

I've seen some Devs make good quality indies before but these ladies really knocked it out of the park, I mean overall graphic quality, special fx, art design, gameplay elements, audio selection and nailing the atmosphere is no mean feat. Can't wait to see what they do next. Some of the art and first person textures with effects were gorgeous, like looking through cold foggy windows into a lit room. I also love that they leave much up to the player to figure out, and the puzzles were akin to classic RE, and a few tougher. So nice to not be coddled by "modern" sensibilities. The few reviews I've seen that were negative were by people who couldn't get past the first area. Speaks volumes about problem solving skills and patience of people.

Bartski

Gold Member
3TFFEWA.png

So how do you get someone like Del Toro to announce a game debut of a noname studio? Now I'm guessing they just gave him the script.

I've spent most of the day trying to process it on steam and reddit, the story is such a mind fuck it's been 4 days and not even an attempt on "explaining" it to be found on youtube.

L47yGJM.jpg
UXp1Bkp.jpg

I was supposed to play RE8 dlc today but I'm too busy reading

Last edited:

Denton

I have two hours in this, and at first I was totally into it, great atmosphere and stellar retro presentation and style, but now it is starting to wear a little thin.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm almost 8 hours in and... WOW, this game is amazing. I mean, sure, gameplay-wise for the most part it is isometric Resident Evil mixed with some MGS stuff and unique mechanics I haven't seen anywhere else when it comes to puzzles and combat even. But it is also far batter than any Resident Evil cuz of the Myst/Darkstar-like puzzles, which for the first time in like 12-18 years, forced me to use notebook and grey substance in my brain to solve. And even though some of them are simple as "Find and insert a security card here" or "Combine this with that and use here", others are more complex and force you to use multiple stuff to solve without telling you how directly. They are also extremely well done visually, audio-wise (OST is also amazing btw) and I like everything about them. Moreover, each puzzle is unique in some way or another, so you won't be doing everything 50 times. Story-wise it is also very interesting, I don't have a full picture yet, but what they're trying to do and tell is very good, well-written and... dare I say it, far better than anything Resident Evil had or ever will. I love everything about Signalis so far and don't have a single thing to complain about.

Last edited:
It's OK. I played it for about 2 hours so I haven't progressed very far, but I kept finding myself bored. I'm also in a terrible headspace right now, so it's probably not the best time to start a game.

Bartski

Gold Member
wtf downed enemies can get back up after a while ... this really is Resident evil remake in blade runner aesthetic lol
It's very deliberate, I hated it at first but in hindsight, it adds a lot of tension and the game would have been too easy without it. There are 2 weapons to kill them permanently a bit later in the game, trick is to be smart using them in corridors adjacent to save rooms where you'll be doing most of backtracking

Top Bottom