• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sifu Developers being criticized by games press/reviews for being "All White Team from France" being "culturally insensitive"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think those who are working on that team are there because they have the skills to work on the game they made. But that is now racists?

Since I am from Central America, if I make a brown character and only hire brown people for the game, will be my game racists too?

Reactions: Isa

MiguelItUp

Just ignore it. The news cycle will wash this away. Just like with GOT.
Exactly. The folks that share the same garbage opinion will echo it on Twitter, and will eventually grow silent. I don't want the developers to apologize, and I hope they don't. I mean, how would they?

"Hey, sorry we made a game that revolves around martial arts and Chinese culture while not having Chinese employees on the team."

That sounds ridiculous. Man, I hate people. Raging drama queens that want to be over dramatic about something. Christ, get some hobbies and/or put that wasted energy towards something beneficial.

Dthomp

I remember when Vidya games were supposed to be a way to relax and get away from the real world. I miss those times. I read this shit and it makes me want to put a shotgun in my mouth...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Honestly? There was no need for this martial arts brawler to be Chinese inspired. It was a bad call, because it adds nothing to the game, and in fact the game would look more badass if it just look European.

I’m also in favor of Asian devs not being able to make western inspired games. Sorry, lol, yup good luck.

Last edited:

Barakov

Yeah, you'd think after Ghosts of Tsushima this would have been universally scorned, but nope, games journos gotta keep at it:

Paste

Shack News

fanbyte

Gamebyte

This is the new standard for what passes for game coverage now. Apparently if you want to tell a story you have to make absolutely sure now you have "consultants/experts" on your story to makes sure its safe for the wokesters.

Funny though, the "expert" cited in two of those articles above, Khee Hoon Chan, apparently has some interesting takes:

Or you can always expect a Kotaku "expert" to chime in with valuable insight too...

I'm picking this game up just to piss these people off.

Reactions: Isa
Amazing Jackie Chan gif.

bruce lee GIF

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly? There was no need for this martial arts brawler to be Chinese inspired. It was a bad call, because it adds nothing to the game, and in fact the game would look more badass if it just look European.

I’m also in favor of Asian devs not being able to make western inspired games. Sorry, lol, yup good luck.

Yeah European kung fu is awesome.

What the fuck is wrong with some of these people? Why can’t white people make games about what they want? Oh and why is the game considered racist?

Tiamat2san

Well, I need to apologise.
I am white AND french….
Sorry….😂

In France I don’t think we have a law that impose to have any percentage of people of Color at work.
You can’t discriminate a candidate for his/her color, religion, politics, sex orientation etc…

If you think you have been discriminated, you can press charge and go to a court of justice but you need to prove it (might not be easy)

In my line of work (retail) we don’t have any problem with this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Imagine giving the time of day to the National Enquirer every time they sensationalized or fabricated a non-story. However, in the video game scene, we give trash gossip blogs written by legitimately deranged individuals the power to shape discussions and even industry outcomes.

Ignore them and enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom