• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuntaro Furukawa Is Ready to Take Nintendo to the Next Level

Jubenhimer

Nintendo's good aspects?
Are they trying to cure cancer, colonize moon, minimize human dependence on fossil fuels or am I missing something?

They offer good, reliable products that garner great critical reception and often multiple awards. Have a well thought out strategy and marketing campaign. And offers several nice little bonuses for consumers, and they don't rely too much on games with Microtransactions or loot boxes, baring the odd mobile game.

Nobody is asking for a god, but consumers do ask for a corporation to give them reasons to give them money.

iconmaster

Banned
Can't expect a fanboy with a luigi hat on to recognize that Nintendo - as a corporation - is virtually indistinguishable from Microsoft or Sony.

I never argued for any distinction relative to those two companies. So, that’s a straw man on top of an ad hominem involving my very tasteful Halloween attire.

You’re letting a fairly trivial debate get the better of your reason.

Helios

Man, "romance" doesn't play big role in Three Houses until near the end.

If games like these looks like PS2 to you then you must have entirely different PS2 than I ever did.

xenoblade_chronicles_2_torna_the_golden_country_game_screenshot.jpg
Maybe ps2 was an exaggeration but this screenshot looks like it could be an early ps3/x360 game. If you were to lower the draw distance I could see it being a ps2 game

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe ps2 was an exaggeration but this screenshot looks like it could be an early ps3/x360 game. If you were to lower the draw distance I could see it being a ps2 game
So are you expecting Switch to look like PS4 and X1 game while being portable? Switch is no where near as powerful as those consoles but saying looks like a PS2 or Gamecube is straight up lie.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, I learned what to expect from Nintendo a while ago. They like their gimmicks and I personally don't care for them.
It doesn't make the graphics any better.
I personally like the visuals in most Nintendo games same way I do with Atlus games, they are not technical marvel like other AAA games out there but I love their art direction and actual games themselves pretty damn fun and thats all I need. If I was that obsess about high end graphics I would have gotten gaming PC long time ago.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
No, I learned what to expect from Nintendo a while ago. They like their gimmicks and I personally don't care for them.
Them liking their gimmicks per what you said is different from having underpowered consoles and expecting on par graphics with X1/PS4 at the same time.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Xeno 2 is a nice looking game. Docked! : P Take my word for it, or check out a video (I doubt it’s that important). It’s in line with modern expectations, especially when you’re running with miles of world, wildlife, foliage, and that’s all contained on the back of a giant moving beast in the clouds.

RealGassy

Banned
I never argued for any distinction relative to those two companies.
But that was the whole argument to begin with - i.e. Nintendo acts exactly like you'd expect from any other big greedy corporation to do - just like Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Disney, etc.
To which you replied with a wishy-washy response about some "nuance".

Within the context of video games, who else would you be comparing big N to, companies that poison water supply, to EA?

Thanks for pointing out that EA and companies that poison water supply are worse than Nintendo. Thanks Luigi.

They offer good, reliable products that garner great critical reception and often multiple awards. Have a well thought out strategy and marketing campaign. And offers several nice little bonuses for consumers, and they don't rely too much on games with Microtransactions or loot boxes, baring the odd mobile game.
So basically like Sony and Microsoft then?
Behind all that fanboyish PR babble about "reliability" (uh-oh) and nice little bonuses (e.g. 30 year old NES roms in exchange for an online subscription), you basically want to play their games ("products"), and that's why you buy them and the hardware necessary.

Being honest the "good aspects" boil down to simple "i wanna play Mario/Zelda/Pokeyman/Metroid games and thus I buy them" really.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Prove me wrong or wake me up when they release a normal console with new games. None of this smartphone skinner box bullshit and none of this fucking Three Ring Exercise Adventure, 1-2 Switch or Arms bullshit. Fucking Super Mario Maker 2 and all that other samey garbage because nintoddlers eat that low effort shit up. At least AAA devs have an excuse to make samey bullshit.

Nintendo has always packaged a gimmick alongside solid hardware.

Even the NES had its horrible plastic robot option and moderately innovative light gun, alongside its rock solid if not gatlike hardware.

Nintendo builds hardware for its games.

And its games are great.

Thank goodness for Nintendo.

They make fun stuff.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Better hardware is always welcomed. But there are limits to how powerful you can make a console like the Switch. You have to consider size, battery-life, and heat consumption, and that will limit how powerful it is.

Dont be naive. Thing is, Switch weren't limited by tech as much as Nintendo being greedy.

They could have had custom chip with faster cpu cores, rather than really slow even on mobile standards of 2016.

They could have doubled the ram

And the flash

And had more gpu power

With the same price, but with low profit. And handled the cooling with these better specs

Instead they chose to make console with barely acceptable performance because it were the cheapest option.

Similar situation would be ps4 with 4gb of ram and xbox gpu specs etc.

But at least Sony does things for gamers too and sells stuff for loss if they have to.

There are limits but it is annoying than nintendo fucks ups things too much, and results are way too low resolutions and graphics that make experience worse tvan it should be.

720p/30 isnt too much to hope at 2019.

Even 2016 phones could run similar or better graphics at full hd vs many switch games.

2019 mobile chips wipe the floor with tegra, even 2016 ones did on cpu side at least

Jubenhimer

Dont be naive. Thing is, Switch weren't limited by tech as much as Nintendo being greedy.

They could have had custom chip with faster cpu cores, rather than really slow even on mobile standards of 2016.

Using Custom hardware is outdated in today's game development environment. Developers don't want some proprietary foregin shit they need to figure out how to use anymore. They want something simple and familiar. That's why Nintendo went with off-the-shelf parts for the Switch. It's not a matter of greed, it's about choosing a chip that suits the Switch needs as a platform.

They could have doubled the ram

And the flash

And had more gpu power

With the same price, but with low profit. And handled the cooling with these better specs

Instead they chose to make console with barely acceptable performance because it were the cheapest option.

You obviously have no idea how manufacturing costs works. Adding more and more specs onto the System will drive up the retail price. Sure, they could sell it at a loss, but after the Wii U, Nintendo's not doing that shit again.

It was the best option for the Switch's needs as a platform.

Similar situation would be ps4 with 4gb of ram and xbox gpu specs etc.

But at least Sony does things for gamers too and sells stuff for loss if they have to.

Even Sony had to cheap out on the CPU and GPU for the PS4. The PS3 put the company in financial hell, and the PS4 needed to be affordable, and profitable as soon as possible.

There are limits but it is annoying than nintendo fucks ups things too much, and results are way too low resolutions and graphics that make experience worse tvan it should be.

720p/30 isnt too much to hope at 2019.

Even 2016 phones could run similar or better graphics at full hd vs many switch games.

And how much were those phones again? Also, phones generally need more Powerful CPUs because of the large overhead their OS' carry. Consoles can get away with weaker CPUs because there's less OS overhead, therefore, more resources availible for game performance.

JimiNutz

Banned
I like the idea of Nintendo using their gaming IP/characters to branch out into other areas.

I went to the Nintendo Store in NYC recently and it was a cool little museum to all things Nintendo as well as a well stocked store. They should eventually open more stores in more locations worldwide.

I'm glad that they seem to have partnered up with a decent studio to make an animated Mario movie as well. From what I've read Miyamoto seems to have a big role in the production. Making a movie is def a gamble but Nintendo seem to have more involvement and control this time so it could definitely end up being decent (or at least as good as Detective Pikachu which wasn't a complete disaster like most videogames movies).

Lastly their theme park partnership with Universal is genius. Super Nintendo Land looks awesome and the faster they can get these parks set up worldwide the better (hoping for a UK/EU location after Japan and America).

In terms of gaming, whether you enjoy their games or approach to hardware, there's no denying that they're successful. Despite having a few rough years here and there, Nintendo have proven that they can achieve long term success and still own some of the biggest IP in gaming. Their mobile strategy seems strange but it's def making them a lot of money.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Can we drop this argument please?

They're trying to innovate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's a gamble, but you seriously want videogaming to follow a linear path and never change? Oh please..

MagnesG

Banned
So basically like Sony and Microsoft then?
Behind all that fanboyish PR babble about "reliability" (uh-oh) and nice little bonuses (e.g. 30 year old NES roms in exchange for an online subscription), you basically want to play their games ("products"), and that's why you buy them and the hardware necessary.

Being honest the "good aspects" boil down to simple "i wanna play Mario/Zelda/Pokeyman/Metroid games and thus I buy them" really.
Since when did people put Ninty on the higher ground compared to others as a company? Also selling good products are perfectly obvious good aspects for companies, not sure how you could twist that into your bullshit narrative.

On that note, seems like people are really triggered by the new president's statement lol. Suck it up, if their products are not gonna cater to you since the early SNES day, it's not gonna change now. Go back to Sony/Xbox/PC for your AAA graphics whores doses/ game movies.

Helios

Can we drop this argument please?

They're trying to innovate. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's a gamble, but you seriously want videogaming to follow a linear path and never change? Oh please..
Do you think the joycons are an innovation, or a gimmick used for marketing and to charge you additional for a normal controller?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Do you think the joycons are an innovation, or a gimmick used for marketing and to charge you additional for a normal controller?
Dude. The D-Pad, shoulder buttons, 4 controller ports, rumble. Handheld consoles.

None of that would exist today, had Nintendo not been "gimmicky". We'd all be playing Asteroids in HD on our square-shaped arcade joysticks. We wouldn't have gyroscopic aiming. We would never have any of that now, if it were singularly up to tech companies. I'm a hundred percent certain of that.

I resent calling any innovation in hardware or design a "gimmick". It totally undervalues an approach that is very important for the medium. Even when it doesn't quite work. It's a job that has to be done.

MagnesG

Banned
Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Dual Detachable controller on dedicated console etc., and PSVR would be gimmicks too if sales data are considered.

Joycons an attempt of innovation, at least. The $70 price is justified, barring the failure complaints.

FMXVII

Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, Dual Detachable controller on dedicated console etc., and PSVR would be gimmicks too if sales data are considered.

Joycons an attempt of innovation, at least. The $70 price is justified, barring the failure complaints.

How much was a DS4, 2 years in?

I mean, Amazon might have the basic black listed at $43, but Targ wer t and most ither retailers still have them at $65.

$70 Joycons doesn't seem too far off.

...but I still popped extra for the Hori dpad.

-Arcadia-

Banned
lol okay
I never thought i was brap since i don't even know who he is other than some asshole on the internet but i guess i'm him now
TIME TO ABANDON EVERYTHING IN LIFE AND TAKE ON A NEW IDENTITY
IN THE NEXT EPISODE OF "BRAP'S ADVENTURE!"

Thank you Brap, very cool.

Top Bottom