• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Showdown: LOW review

evil ways

In the end, Showdown: Legends of Wrestling is a game that simply cannot shake off the problems of its predecessors. Everything positive that has been added to the game doesn't do anything to counteract the mechanical artificial intelligence and visual problems that plague much of it. Still, despite all of these problems, this is definitely the most cohesive game that the Legends of Wrestling series has ever managed to produce, and if you had any affection for the previous games, or even just the concept, the game is worth renting just to play a few classic bouts with some of wrestling's greatest names. Outside of a rental, however, Showdown just doesn't have enough going for it to compete with the big boys of the wrestling game genre.

Ouch. I was so hopeful for this game for the last few weeks but it seems like it's the same shit, with more wrestlers and even more bugs and glitches. I'll keep my copy sealed tomorrow at least until I hear more impressions from people here or at other forums, just in case I have to make a quick return.

I'm buying it tomorrow, so you'll have my impressions. I'm dismayed to hear about the clunky controls still existing, but aside from that I can live with what I heard. I do have my hopes up for this game based on all the stuff I've heard from gamingring.com, but I'm also using my head and remembering the first LOW. Anyhow, I'm definitely buying it tomorrow and will let you guys know my take on it, good or bad.

evil ways

I've noticed a pattern here. All of the sites that have given Showdown a great review and high score, including Gamingring and Gamepro didn't even mention a single flaw or negative aspect about the game, while the sites that have given the game scores between 4.0-6.0 have all discussed both the positives and the seemingly abundant negatives.

Let's see what IGN has to say about it.

06.jpg

LALALALALA I CAAAAAANT HEAR JOOOOO!!!

Biff believes in the Legends too.

I figured GS would score it low, but they backed up their points with mentioning the clunky control that has plagued this series from the first game.

I'm taking the chance though. As I said before, if it plays decently...I'll be happy.

evil ways

I've gotten over the fact that the selling is crap and the collision detection is a bit fuckity fucked, but what really worries me is the glitches and gameplay issues that derive from said glitches. It gives me evil flashbacks of WWF Attitude and ECW Hardcore Revolution where wrestlers would glide on the floor and teleport across the ring, or when a suplex would go right through the ropes then both wrestlers slide into the center of the ring while on the ground.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Link316 said:
meh, Gamespot doesn't know much about wrestling games, IIRC they also gave low scores to the N64 AKI games

LoW and LoW2 sucked. if the third has even some of the same problems as the previous titles, forget it.

Lyte Edge said:
LoW and LoW2 sucked. if the third has even some of the same problems as the previous titles, forget it.

The thing is that the Game does not play like LOW at ALL its more like no mercy. So i dont know how every one complains about it being just like low2.

evil ways

Kabuki Waq said:
The thing is that the Game does not play like LOW at ALL its more like no mercy. So i dont know how every one complains about it being just like low2.

It seems to share a lot of the problems LOW 1 and LOW 2 had which are mostly technical and quality issues that can sometimes affect the gameplay.

evil ways

Looks like Acclaim lied once again. You cannot edit wrestlers, you have to clone them into an empty Create space and then use wrestler's parts to modify your created wrestler. So if you want to fix all the crappy movesets that the wrestlers currently have you will be stuck with 2 versions of every wrestler in the game.

What a crock of shit.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
:(

I hoped that the technical glitches and whatnot from the E3 build would have been ironed out by release. Either way, whoever said that the control is like the first two LOWs is talking out of their ass - it's much closer to the AKI-style.

Top Bottom