• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should you get Puyo Puyo Champions or Puyo Puyo Tetris?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I couldn't pass up the chance to stan for Puyo! The article covers the question in the title: if you want to get into Puyo, should you get Puyo Puyo Tetris or opt for the new Puyo Puyo Champions?

I am new to Puyo Puyo.
Guess what? You should be playing Puyo Puyo Tetris! Part of this is because of the combination of Puyo Puyo and Tetris. Even if you aren’t familiar with the one puzzle game, odds are you know how the other one goes. You’re halfway to victory if you do!
Also, Puyo Puyo Tetris is very user-friendly. The campaign basically teaches you how to play both puzzle games. Its missions gradually increase in difficulty and feel designed to familiarize you with Puyo Puyo‘s mechanics.
It is especially a good place to start due to the demo. If someone has a Nintendo Switch, they can grab a free trial. It is a great way to get your feet wet.
I love puzzle games and silliness.
Puyo Puyo Tetris has the best story mode. I’m not exaggerating. It is hilarious. People on a Tetris-themed spaceship come to the Puyo Puyo world, with tetrominos falling everywhere. Every established character from the Puyo Puyo universe has to work with these new, original characters to solve the problem. Everyone is quirky. The localization is fantastic.
Plus, you are essentially getting three puzzle games in one. There’s Puyo Puyo, which is fantastic. You have Tetris, which is always fun. Then, the combination of the two basically feels like a third, original puzzle game that is absolutely worth playing. It is great.
I just want to play Puyo Puyo with friends.
Puyo Puyo Champions is all about that multiplayer experience, as the name would suggest. It has the Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Fever rulesets, local and online multiplayer option, 24 playable characters and an option to set up an eight-player tournament. It is all about proving yourself. (Though, there is an unranked Free Play online, if you just want to have fun.)
This isn’t to say there aren’t any single player options. You do have some challenge modes that let you try to earn certain amounts of points and such. There just isn’t a campaign, like there is in Puyo Puyo

---

To echo what the author says, the current versions of Puyo Puyo Tetris are the most-complete iteration of a game that launched in 2014, so you're getting a lot more content and refinement. Puyo Puyo Champions offers a massive 8p local tournament mode, so that's a bonus for you couch players and convention weebs.

Anyone planning to snap up Puyo Puyo Champions?

petran79

Banned
I was interested in the pc version but read there are currently hackers that meddle with ranking scores and even kick you out of public lobbies as if they were private, plus they did not improve the lag. I'll stick to puyo tetris

Kazza

I played the Steam PPT an hour every day for a month. At that point I had finished the story mode and played quite a bit of the versus mode too (4 player can get pretty crazy - love it!). At that point I was 30 hours in, and realised I would need many more hours to get really good (some of the people online are incredible). With the amount of commitment needed, I would rather put that time to developing a more practical skill at this point in my life. I do still fire it up every now and again for a game against the computer though.

The Puyo Puyo Champions game is pretty cheap, but I'm happy with PPT for the moment.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Depends. PC or Console? If PC get Puyo Puyo Tetris. The console version of PPT has only dubs and the voices are fucking annoying and you can't turn them off. So annoying I stopped enjoying said game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Depends. PC or Console? If PC get Puyo Puyo Tetris. The console version of PPT has only dubs and the voices are fucking annoying and you can't turn them off. So annoying I stopped enjoying said game.
Console players can always buy the Japanese version.

"I loooove it" -- Science Bear

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You can. But the text stays in Japanese I think.
The text is still in Japanese, you are right. I have the Japanese version on Vita (plus the US release on PS4 and Switch :messenger_hushed:)

I have a problem. Help.

Great Puzzle game and glad the Story Mode was funny.

Sad that it only had 10 chapters.
They did a good job with the story mode. Very silly and kid-friendly, but not worthless. It introduces you to all the major mechanics / modes of the game. Some of those later levels and postgame levels were really difficult.

The text is still in Japanese, you are right. I have the Japanese version on Vita (plus the US release on PS4 and Switch :messenger_hushed:)

I have a problem. Help.

They did a good job with the story mode. Very silly and kid-friendly, but not worthless. It introduces you to all the major mechanics / modes of the game. Some of those later levels and postgame levels were really difficult.

I found a Chapter 6 Tetris Battle harser than most of the Chapter 7/Post game stuff.

I think that it should have had 16 chapters as we never got to see Witch, Draco or Dark Prince's Story segment which was disappointing. They had 1 or 2 segments but I wanted more!!!

Nymphae

Banned
How much content is there in this if I'm only interested in Tetris? Like does it have a similar variety of modes for Tetris like Tetris Effect does? Marathon, sprint, other variants?

Top Bottom