• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Xbox take a break from Halo, Gears, and Forza(Motorsport) this new generation?

Should Microsoft give them a break?

• Give Halo, Gears, and Forza Motorsport a break this new generation.

Votes: 130 39.5%
  • Keep releasing Halo, Gears, and Forza Motorsport at the usual frequency.

Votes: 199 60.5%

• Total voters
Again you're just trolling. I've given 'clear examples of how major franchises see sales drop with latter entries, even on a system with a huge userbase like the PS and you're not interested
I'm not interested in your spinning and wind ups anymore.
You got almost everything you said in your last post wrong from ignoring the fact Genesis was at its peak to one of your example franchisee outselling Sonic 3 "which you doubted" didn't make your hole deeper.

No, but obviously work on different titles. Halo, Gears, and Forza like GOW, Horizon and Uncharted GUARANTEES a certain quality when you buy a playstation or an Xbox. Chance are if you enjoy the previous games, you will enjoy the next gen versions of the game.

MiguelItUp

There's clearly a love for all of them, so might as well keep them going. Personally, I just think Gears has overstayed its welcome. Though I know the last few games were pretty good, it's just my own bias. After 3, it felt like everything was just kind of a cash grab to me. They even felt like they were lacking in some areas when compared to Gears 1/2's detail and gameplay. They just looked a bit flashier.

tusharngf

Gears should be shutdown now. No one is interested in a new game now. Halo can do a 5yr cycle and forza should remain in its course.

Leyasu

Banned
I think that gears is nothing more than eye candy nowadays. It is time to for the coalition to show everybody just how good they really are with another I.P either new or resurrected.

Halo is going to be great. It should remain.

The Forza franchise is in a really good place at the moment.

It doesn't matter now though, it is not like Microsoft are sitting on just 5 studios anymore.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I feel confident, especially after they make the point with Infinite, that the sheer notion that anybody should take Halo from 343 will be a laughable claim.
multiplayer is free to play, the single player doesn't look any better (they didn't even really show it) and they did not have a concrete date for the single player yet which makes me think they are going to launch the multiplayer in Nov and single player will be 2022. This studio is incompetent, everything they showed at E3 still did not restore any faith that they #gotthis.

multiplayer is free to play, the single player doesn't look any better (they didn't even really show it) and they did not have a concrete date for the single player yet which makes me think they are going to launch the multiplayer in Nov and single player will be 2022. This studio is incompetent, everything they showed at E3 still did not restore any faith that they #gotthis.

Totally untrue based on footage shown. For the record, the campaign flyover wasn't the only thing from the campaign, so too was the cutscene. But I'll only focus on the campaign flyover.

Did they show enough? No, they did not, and that's a fair take from you.

But what was shown is head and shoulders superior to what was on display in the 2020 gameplay.

Texture quality, atmospherics, environment ranging from foliage to trees, grass all looked better. Mountains and far off detail such as fog simply looked better, lighting was way better, the fog looked solid, no pop in like before.

It also did say in-engine footage, and the context of what that means is up for interpretation, but I don't think they would risk a backlash from an inaccurate representation of the game this late in the game.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Totally untrue based on footage shown. For the record, the campaign flyover wasn't the only thing from the campaign, so too was the cutscene. But I'll only focus on the campaign flyover.

Did they show enough? No, they did not, and that's a fair take from you.

But what was shown is head and shoulders superior to what was on display in the 2020 gameplay.

Texture quality, atmospherics, environment ranging from foliage to trees, grass all looked better. Mountains and far off detail such as fog simply looked better, lighting was way better, the fog looked solid, no pop in like before.

It also did say in-engine footage, and the context of what that means is up for interpretation, but I don't think they would risk a backlash from an inaccurate representation of the game this late in the game.
Lol nope, they showed an overhead shot of the campaign, they showed no actual gameplay. I reserve my right to say it looked mid until they actually show the same area again to compare and contrast the differences

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No.

Nintendo isn't going to take a break from Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Sony isn't going to take a break from God of War, Uncharted and Gran Turismo.

Forza Motorsport is the best racing simulation on the market and blew past Gran Turismo two generations ago. This will not change. Gears 5 was excellent and Hivebusters even more so. While The Coalition is working on a new IP, they're also working on Gears 6 which will conclude the Kait story line trilogy. Halo Infinite is going to be huge this November. The campaign will be great and the free to play multi-player is going to do insane player count numbers. I only care about the campaign and based on images and the teaser from two weeks ago, the game looks so much freaking better and more importantly, they cleaned up the technical issues that plagued the game a year ago.

Even more so than what I posted above, Microsoft has 19 other studios, almost all of them with multiple teams of varying degree, so while they won't be stopping Halo, Gears and Forza, they don't have to rush them out either which will make them even more valuable in the long term.

Last Halo was 6 years ago. A Forza every 3 years is also not exactly too frequent. And who knows when the next Gears will come out (probably 2023).

It's not even close to comparable to say EA who made a new Need for Speed game every single year.

Yoboman

No.

Nintendo isn't going to take a break from Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Sony isn't going to take a break from God of War, Uncharted and Gran Turismo.

Forza Motorsport is the best racing simulation on the market and blew past Gran Turismo two generations ago. This will not change. Gears 5 was excellent and Hivebusters even more so. While The Coalition is working on a new IP, they're also working on Gears 6 which will conclude the Kait story line trilogy. Halo Infinite is going to be huge this November. The campaign will be great and the free to play multi-player is going to do insane player count numbers. I only care about the campaign and based on images and the teaser from two weeks ago, the game looks so much freaking better and more importantly, they cleaned up the technical issues that plagued the game a year ago.

Even more so than what I posted above, Microsoft has 19 other studios, almost all of them with multiple teams of varying degree, so while they won't be stopping Halo, Gears and Forza, they don't have to rush them out either which will make them even more valuable in the long term.
Sony did take a break from God of War and then rebooted it. Uncharted ended 5 years ago and no evidence of any return

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony did take a break from God of War and then rebooted it. Uncharted ended 5 years ago and no evidence of any return
Sony did reboot God of War but it's still God of War and they did release PSP games and whatnot between GOW III and GOW 2018 including Ascension which I just remembered. Uncharted had Lost Legacy about four years ago and it is coming back so any hiatus it's on will be short lived.

Yoboman

Sony did reboot God of War but it's still God of War and they did release PSP games and whatnot between GOW III and GOW 2018 including Ascension which I just remembered. Uncharted had Lost Legacy about four years ago and it is coming back so any hiatus it's on will be short lived.
The last handheld game was in 2010. They did have Ascension but that was the tip of the franchise fatigue. They took a long break after that and came back with a completely fresh reboot. If they just came back with the same old GOW I dont think anybody would have cared

And Uncharted still remains a poor example. It is a franchise they've let rest twice now so that Naughty Dog could work on something else and there is no evidence of a return

The whole point of this thread is whether these MS franchises should go on a break so why counter with game franchises that have gone on a break?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The last handheld game was in 2010. They did have Ascension but that was the tip of the franchise fatigue. They took a long break after that and came back with a completely fresh reboot. If they just came back with the same old GOW I dont think anybody would have cared

And Uncharted still remains a poor example. It is a franchise they've let rest twice now so that Naughty Dog could work on something else and there is no evidence of a return

The whole point of this thread is whether these MS franchises should go on a break so why counter with game franchises that have gone on a break?
Because they haven't gone on a break. A few years is not a break. How exactly has ND let Uncharted rest twice? They simply alternated between games. That's not a break. A break to me is nothing in that series/franchise for a minimum of a decade. That's a break. A few years, not so much.

HYDE

Banned
Nah XBOX should just quit…a break ain’t enough. Focus on software let PCs be the third gaming platform. Put the gamepass software on everything they feel makes sense, and quit with the hardware that never makes a profit loss situation.

oldergamer

THe la
Hmmm the last uncharted game was 4 years ago. The last god of war game before the reboot was 3 years.

Its been 5 or 6 years since the last halo, 3 years since the last forza motorsport.

Lol nope, they showed an overhead shot of the campaign, they showed no actual gameplay. I reserve my right to say it looked mid until they actually show the same area again to compare and contrast the differences

You have every right to do whatever you want. It still makes you wrong based on what was shown. You think an overhead shot of campaign back in 2020 would have looked as good as the 2021 footage with the issues that were present in the old footage?

Be serious.

And what is this craziness about the same area again. They don't have to show you the same area again because they showed a location that is identical in terms of it being the same pacific northwest inspired biome design. What they showed you was essentially a much better looking version of 2020, but on a wider scale.

Top Bottom