• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Xbox take a break from Halo, Gears, and Forza(Motorsport) this new generation?

Should Microsoft give them a break?

• Give Halo, Gears, and Forza Motorsport a break this new generation.

Votes: 130 39.5%
  • Keep releasing Halo, Gears, and Forza Motorsport at the usual frequency.

Votes: 199 60.5%

• Total voters
After Halo Infinite and Forza 8 obviously since those are coming soon and are already in development.

Halo, Gears, and Forza Motorsport were the top franchises in the industry at one point. They started the Xbox, and they were the backbone of the 360. They were among the top rated game series critically for years and are still well reviewed now.

Even on Xbox One where they had weakened substantially, they were the franchises that got the console out of slumps and stopped everything from falling apart.

But this is why I created this thread, it's not just the decline and changing developers that are a problem, but I believe a lot of new Xbox series fail because of these franchises, and they take away resources from these new projects. I think Microsoft put too much reliance on them and it's caused them to have too much sway on first party game sales.

Let's look at the Xbox Ones AAA first party releases, outside Killer Instinct which barely counts, and Sea of thieves what other AAA release succeeded outside of H/G/F? Nothing.

It's not just commercial success either, but also critical success. Here are Xbox One first party AAA releases on metacritic

Forza Horizon 4 - 92%
Forza Horizon 3 - 91%
Forza Motorsport 6 - 87%
Forza Horizon 2 - 86%
Forza Motorsport 7 - 86%
Halo Master Chief Collection - 85%
Gears 5 - 84%
Gears of War 4 - 84%
Halo 5: Guardians - 84%
Halo Wars 2 - 79%
Quantum Break - 77%
Sea of Thieves - 69%
Crackdown 3 - 60%

The scores are declining but the H/G/F games still score higher than other AAA Microsoft games, so they still give those entries priority leading to less resources available for games like Sea if thieves, little help for Remedy on Quantum break, and heavy outsourcing for Crackdown 3.

Do you think it's time for a break? Let Forza 8 and Halo Infinite be the last entries for the next 5 years? I feel that will help Microsoft do better with new AAA ip this generation.

Should Sony take break from GT, God of war n all?

Halo, Gears and Forza not annualised franchise. Next Gears will take years as its UE5 game and same goes for motosport

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Turn them all into live service games

EHye5Yn.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Not really, they have so many more studios today and their first party output looks a lot more diversive.

But if they still had the same amount of studios as before and they were still pushing out mainly gears/foza/halo only I'd probably agree.

Last edited:

ZehDon

... what?

Halo 5 was six years ago.
Gears 5 was two years ago, but the next game hasn't even been announced yet so its years and years away.
Forza Horizon 4 was three years ago, Motorsport 7 was four years ago.

Should PlayStation take a break from The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, and Gran Turismo for this generation?
Should Nintendo take a break from Mario, The Legend of Zelda, and Kirby for this generation?

Kagey K

Banned
Square should stop making Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Sega should stop Yakuza, Persona and Sonic.

Blizzard should stop Diablo and Wow.

They should all stop making games people like and only focus on new ip.

Said nobody ever.

ZywyPL

Banned
I agree with Gears and Halo. Especially Gears, let the Coalition do something new, fresh, set in new universe with new gameplay mechanics, they're one of MS' best studios right now Halo has been on a downhill for quite some time, unless the upcoming Infinite isn't a huge success I'd put the series to rest and tried to make some new flagship FPS as well. But Forza? No way, there isn't any real alternative on the market, GT dropped the ball with GT5 and later installments, and FM fills that space perfectly.

But all in all I believe MS has all the numbers ($) that show they should keep making those three over and over again.

Last edited:

Reindeer

It's gonna be like 5 years since Forza Motorsport 7 came out by the time next iteration is supposed to release, that's plenty of time between games. It also sounds like they're going live service so new games probably won't be as frequent. Horizon games need longer development cycle, 3 and 4 were too similar. Can't speak for Halo and Gears, both are dead to me.

Last edited:
I love how people say MS is only about Halo or Forza while can't wait for the next Mario or Zelda and Smash Bro
MS got plenty of new IP coming and I expect and have no issues with hardware manufacturer looking to bring their classic IP to the nextgen.
I only wished SEGA did more of it on the Saturn and Dreamcast

Reindeer

I love how people say MS is only about Halo or Forza while can't wait for the next Mario or Zelda and Smash Bro
MS got plenty of new IP coming and I expect and have no issues with hardware manufacturer looking to bring their classic IP to the nextgen.
I only wished SEGA did more of it on the Saturn and Dreamcast
To be fair each new mainline Mario and Zelda games bring enough new and refreshing ideas to the table that makes them feel like new experiences, something you can't say about Halo and Gears. Mainline Mario and Zelda games are also not that frequent as some people wanna make you believe. Sure there's the 2D stuff as well, but that's like a different type of beast all together, kinda like Halo and Gears top down games.

Last edited:
To be fair each new mainline Mario and Zelda games bring enough new and refreshing ideas to the table that makes them feel like new games, something you can't say about Halo and Gears. Mainline Mario and Zelda games are also not that frequent as some people make them sound to be. Sure there's the 2D stuff as well, but that's like different type of beast all together.
There was hardly anything new in Smash Bro, Mario Tennis was more of the same and well for me Mario Odessty was a step backwards from Galaxy II There was new stuff brought into Halo V like the 4 player co-op mode LOL which for me killed the game
It's also been nearly 6 years since the last Halo. You look over Splatoon and Arms and its NCL that makes sequels to the same old IP time and time again.

Kagey K

Banned
To be fair each new mainline Mario and Zelda games bring enough new and refreshing ideas to the table that makes them feel like new games, something you can't say about Halo and Gears. Mainline Mario and Zelda games are also not that frequent as some people make them sound to be. Sure there's the 2D stuff as well, but that's like a different type of beast all together, kinda like Halo and Gears top down games.
I'd argue that Halo has brought something new with each iteration.

Also Halo games aren't as frequent as some make them sound. They are only on 5 after 20 years.

Reindeer

There was hardly anything new in Smash Bro, Mario Tennis was more of the same and well for me Mario Odessty was a step backwards from Galaxy II There was new stuff brought into Halo V like the 4 player co-op mode LOL which for me killed the game
It's also been nearly 6 years since the last Halo. You look over Splatoon and Arms and its NCL that makes sequels to the same old IP time and time again.
Super Smash Bros is a fighting game that features Mario, it's not a Mario game. Mario Tennis is a sports game, that's why I specifically said "mainline Mario and Zelda games". Mario sports games are not even really Mario games, they just use Mario name to sell, but the reality is he's just one of the many characters you can play as. I thought this would be clear.

Last edited:

Reindeer

I'd argue that Halo has brought something new with each iteration.

Also Halo games aren't as frequent as some make them sound. They are only on 5 after 20 years.
5 numbered titles, 7 in total. I never claimed Halo and Gears games are very frequent, but I do think they're very samey and have been getting worse since new devs took over.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
5 numbered titles, 7 in total. I never claimed Halo and Gears games are frequent, but I do think they're very samey and have been getting worse since 343 took over.

Yet each one brought something new and refreshing to the table. Halo doesn't play the same as 2, 3, Reach, ODST, 4 or 5

They all have different and new mechanics based on each game. Same as Mario or Zelda.

Which you suggested were different somehow.

teezzy

Banned
I don't think anyone is craving a new Gears any time soon, maybe mid-gen

Halo and Forza though - the sooner the better

mxbison

Gears - desperately needs a makeover and some fresh ideas, not just some open world segments like the last one.

Forza - I personally don't care about it, but seems it's still very popular among the racing fans.

Halo - Let's see how the big reboot goes with Infinite.

Most importantly they need more new stuff.

Reindeer

Yet each one brought something new and refreshing to the table. Halo doesn't play the same as 2, 3, Reach, ODST, 4 or 5

They all have different and new mechanics based on each game. Same as Mario or Zelda.

Which you suggested were different somehow.
All Halo games revolve around same core mechanics, which you cannot say for mainline Mario titles. Just play Mario64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Odyssey and tell me they are the same. With each new Mario game you have to relearn to play because gameplay varies greatly, but I can pick any Halo game now and they all play the same. They're obviously trying to change it now with introduction of grapple hook and semi open world, etc.

Last edited:
Super Smash Bros is a fighting game that features Mario, it's not a Mario game. Mario Tennis is a sports game, that's why I specifically said "mainline Mario and Zelda games". Mario sports games are not even really Mario games, they just use Mario name to sell, but the reality is he's just one of the many characters you can play as. I thought this would be clear.

Smash Bro is a Nintendo IP that Nintendo makes endless sequels too and yet that is ok, same goes for Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario. But that's ok as long as you're Nintendo. God forbid, should SONY and MS look to make sequels to their IP, whilst too their credit look to bring more brand new IP to the table too.

Kagey K

Banned
All Halo games revolve around same core mechanics, which you cannot say for mainline Mario titles. Just play Mario64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Odyssey and tell me they are the same. With each new Mario game you have to relearn to play because gameplay varies greatly, but I can pick any Halo game now and they all play the same. They're obviously trying to change it now with introduction of grapple hook and semi open world, etc.
I can play Mario 1,3 Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros and Mario Maker and get it, because they are all 2D Mario games.

Saying they haven't changed because they are all FPS, doesn't mean you understand all the intricacies and mechanics right away.

Reindeer

Smash Bro is a Nintendo IP that Nintendo makes endless sequels too and yet that is ok, same goes for Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario. But that's ok as long as you're Nintendo. God forbid, should SONY and MS look to make sequels to their IP, whilst too their credit look to bring more brand new IP to the table too.
Not sure why you bringing fighting and racing games in a reply to a comment about mainline Mario and Zelda games. Are you really that desperate to win this argument?

Your point about fighting and racing Nintendo games being samey can be directed at all fighting and racing games, even ones Microsoft made. I'm not exactly sure what you expect from these types of games, maybe you can be the beacon of light and revolutionise fighting and racing games.

Reindeer

I can play Mario 1,3 Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros and Mario Maker and get it, because they are all 2D Mario games.

Saying they haven't changed because they are all FPS, doesn't mean you understand all the intricacies and mechanics right away.
Yes, that's why I didn't mention 2D games, just like I didn't mention top down Halo and Gears games. There's an obvious limitation to 2D platformers, just like there would be if you made multiple RTS games with Halo or Gears. Almost all 2D platformers play the same, same for RTS, fighting and racing games, etc. Some games are restricted by their genre and design.

Last edited:
Not sure why you bringing fighting and racing games in a reply to a comment about mainline Mario and Zelda games. Are you really that desperate to win this argument?

Your point about fighting and racing Nintendo games being samey can be directed at all fighting and racing games, even ones Microsoft made. I'm not exactly sure what you expect from these types of games, maybe you can be the beacon of light and revolutionise fighting and racing games.
So if it's a fighting game it's ok to make endless sequels and for then to play pretty much the same? My point was why it is so wrong for MS to look to make sequels to its IP but no issues with Nintendo? Don't say Nintendo bring something new to the table, every sequel to a game brings in something new and adds a little extra or mode even Gears

The hypocrisy by some gamers is shameless at times.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, that's why I didn't mention 2D games, just like I didn't mention top down Halo and Gears games. There's an obvious limitation to 2D platformers, just like there would be if you made multiple RTS games with Halo or Gears. Almost all 2D platformers play the same, same for RTS, fighting and racing games, etc.
The largest part of Mario games are 2D platformers. Why would you exclude most of his legacy?

If you want to compare Halo to Mario we have to look at the 2d games vs the fps games, because that's the genre they both made thier name in.

Last edited:

Reindeer

So if it's a fighting game it's ok to make endless sequels and for it plays pretty much the same? My point was why it is so wrong for MS to look to make sequels to its IP but no issues with Nintendo and don't say Nintendo bring something new to the table, every sequel to a game brings in something new and adds a little extra even Gears

The hypocrisy by some gamers is shameless at times.
You specifically mentioned Mario and Zelda, but then conveniently switched the topic to fighting and sports games. You cannot criticise Nintendo for samey fighting and racing games when that's it is with everyone else who makes those types of games, including Microsoft. For your information Mario Kart revolutionised Kart racing, now every Kart racer wants to be like it.

Last edited:

Reindeer

The largest part of Mario games are 2D platformers. Why would you exclude most of his legacy?

If you want to compare Halo to Mario we have to look at the 2d games vs the fps games, because that's the genre they both made thier name in.
Because 2D is very restricting, a reason why there's barely any innovation there for I don't know how long. But still, Mario 2D games are still the best in class, something you can't say for Halo or Gears as of recently. If we gonna talk about innovation, fresh design and gameplay then by common sense we would talk about 3D games.

You specifically mentioned Mario and Zelda, but then conveniently switched the topic to fighting and sports games. You cannot criticise Nintendo for samey fighting and racing games when that's it is with everyone else who makes fighting and racing games. For your information Mario Kart revolutionised Kart racing, now every Kart racer wants to be like it.
So it's ok to make endless sequels to sport and fighting games, just not FPS or 3rd person games. I get it !
Sadly I only wished SEGA made sequels to its fighting and racing games.

Reindeer

So it's ok to make endless sequels to sport and fighting games, just not FPS or 3rd person games. I get it !
Sadly I only wished SEGA made sequels to its fighting and racing games.
But it's ok to make endless sequels to racing games when it comes to Microsoft according to you. Hypocrisy much?

But it's ok to make endless sequels to racing games when it comes to Microsoft according to you. Hypocrisy much?
I don't have issues with sequels myself. I have issues with those who say it's wrong for sequels to Halo or Forza, while can't wait for sequels to Prime or Mario Kart Ect.

Reindeer

I don't have issues with sequels myself. I have issues with those who say it's wrong for sequels to Halo or Forza, while can't wait for sequels to Prime or Mario Kart Ect.
Who said it's wrong? Lol, I never claimed such a thing. I said Halo and Gears are samey and boring. You proceeded to talk about fighting, racing and sports games, even though you know very well those are genres where's no innovation really because design and nature of those games is very restricting. That's not the case for games like Halo and Gears, there's plenty of things they can do. It's not the case for 3D Mario and Zelda either, it's why Nintendo is always refreshing things and making a new experience with each instalment.

Last edited:
No…if they do halo correctly people will buy the console for it

gears has been getting better with each part and the fact they actually put some space in between the last proper forza game and the new one means it’s probably going to be a big step change

ZywyPL

Banned
Should PlayStation take a break from The Last of Us, God of War and Gran Turismo this generation?

GoW just like Gears should've IMO ended after the 3rd one, the story was completed by then, and what an amazing game it was to end a trilogy. Ascension was already unnecessary, while the newest one is basically a completely new, different game with and old name slapped to it, just like the beard to Kratos, who should've been a new character who is actually a real Viking. It's like SSM didn't have the balls/weren't confident enough they can succeed without relying on the old franchise's name/legacy. As for GT, the upcoming one is whether Kaz will redeem himself after all those years, or yeah, they can shout down the studio entirely. TLoU, well, the 2nd one was a mistake.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
That's like asking Sony to stop making Gran Turismo, God of War and so on.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
From Forza - no, they will probably release one Forza Motorsport this gen and that's okay, Forza Horizon imo needs some big new changes in the next installment other than having a new map.
Gears - the main series should be put to rest, wouldn't mind having Gears Tactics 2 though
Halo - don't know, don't care, I was never interested in this series

Top Bottom