• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony reduce the price of the PS5?

cormack12

Gold Member
£360 for a next gen console is a steal (Digital Edition)
£449 is a bit more expensive though and I think but worth it for the hardware, provided firsty party retail titles are not £70

I think it's fair that digital titles rise to £64.99 and retail at £49.99 as game increase prices. I think a lot of people will complain about the price of the games mroe than the console tbh and they'll quickly reduce that or retailers will.

JCK75

I don't think they need to no.. I mean the Series X is a better machine for the price but Microsoft is going to subsidize that with gamepass, Sony is taking a loss and has nothing to make that money back right away and since it's going to sell well regardless, why would they?

Azurro

Banned
I don't think they have to wait until their sales slow down. Consumers appreciate a vendor that respects their intelligence. Nothing is preventing Sony from reflecting the factual value difference in the price BEFORE being arm twisted by the market. Or to increase the value of their offer to make up for the competition's moves: lower game prices, Answers to Xcloud and AllAccess, better accessiblity to 1st party games, etc.. Both approaches would benefit consumers and I am taking the consumer's perspective here. Not the "Does it maximise the corporation's profits" perspective. It's not my job to worry about that.

Console manufacturers have always analysed the triangle of price, value proposition and sales to proactively steer future demand. I refer to this article from 2008 about the price competition between the PS3 and the Xbox 360:

Sony, on the other hand, is eliminating its 40GB $399 PS 3 model entirely. The 80GB version which was $499 will now cost $399. Microsoft now has the most expensive box on the market, with the Xbox 360 Elite with a 120GB hard drive now costing $449. Microsoft will likely have to cut prices in reaction or lose market share. https://venturebeat.com/2008/07/15/...the-sony-playstation-3-joins-the-console-war/

You don't have to lose market share to adjust your price. In many cases it's already too late then. A smart company sells you a product for what it's worth today instead of banking on you ignoring the real value. The value changed with the Bethesda acquisition combined with all the moves that Xbox has made in the last 2 years. I'm just saying that Sony can no longer afford to just ignore it. The article above made the same point about a different situation 12 years ago.

I think you are letting your own hype get the better of you, because it's not like this is going to change much.

Before this acquisition, MS's first party studios were paltry and almost nonexistent compared to the big first party lineup from Sony that basically guarantees hit after hit after hit.

Now after the acquisition, MS is almost basically tied with Sony, while Sony is still offering the same top class studios plus you get first class treatment with most third party studios.

You want the earliest access in COD? You got it. You want to play Final Fantasy the earliest? You got it. You want to play a remake of Silent Hill console exclusive? You got it.

I just don't see how anything has changed that significantly. It's not like Bethesda's games have performed well recently, all their recent games including Doom Eternal have significantly underperformed in the market, which is why they were open to an acquisition in the first place.

The only significant games in the market place is ES and maybe Star Field, and Bethesda isn't releasing them the next year, perhaps not even during the next two years. How are they going to affect anything by that point?

Your entire premise is fueled by fanboy excitement rather than any objectivity. That's why it can be summed up as a more complex way of going "jeez guys, MS is totally destroying Sony, they am doomed!!!".

HeresJohnny

Yes. $500 is too much for any console given current events. Once they burn through early adopters both systems will be sitting on shelves. A game console is a want not a need.

Also, $70 for games is ridiculous too. They're going to deter people from buying new content simply on that alone. Why buy a $500 machine that requires $70 games when you can simply keep playing your PS4 for another year or two? Sony seems to be forgetting they're not running against Microsoft here -- they're running against the PS4.

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
I think you are letting your own hype get the better of you, because it's not like this is going to change much.

Before this acquisition, MS's first party studios were paltry and almost nonexistent compared to the big first party lineup from Sony that basically guarantees hit after hit after hit.

Now after the acquisition, MS is almost basically tied with Sony, while Sony is still offering the same top class studios plus you get first class treatment with most third party studios.

You want the earliest access in COD? You got it. You want to play Final Fantasy the earliest? You got it. You want to play a remake of Silent Hill console exclusive? You got it.

I just don't see how anything has changed that significantly. It's not like Bethesda's games have performed well recently, all their recent games including Doom Eternal have significantly underperformed in the market, which is why they were open to an acquisition in the first place.

The only significant games in the market place is ES and maybe Star Field, and Bethesda isn't releasing them the next year, perhaps not even during the next two years. How are they going to affect anything by that point?

Your entire premise is fueled by fanboy excitement rather than any objectivity. That's why it can be summed up as a more complex way of going "jeez guys, MS is totally destroying Sony, they am doomed!!!".

How am I the fanboy when I'm trying everyday to purchase a PS5? Just because I'm able to afford an item doesn't mean it's not overpriced. I think you are far more worthy of fanboyism suspicion for touting COD early multiplayer access (a game which full version is coming to Xbox on the same day and will play better there) and timed exclusivity on FF16 (when it's now up to Microsoft if Playstation ever sees another Elder Scrolls or Fallout).
You speak of projection. Your device loyalty is completely impairing your senses.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Should a company reduce the price of a product that is sold out, and will be sold out again a couple days after they restock ?

Now that's a very difficult question.

Last edited:

Genx3

If it were up to me I would sell Play Station or any Hardware at around cost and then lower the price of the actual games.
Selling HW at a loss is ridiculous.

O-N-E

f5991429cf89bc8e80b8315a79f14fd0.gif

giphy.gif

Azurro

Banned
How am I the fanboy when I'm trying everyday to purchase a PS5? Just because I'm able to afford an item doesn't mean it's not overpriced. I think you are far more worthy of fanboyism suspicion for touting COD early multiplayer access (a game which full version is coming to Xbox on the same day and will play better there) and timed exclusivity on FF16 (when it's now up to Microsoft if Playstation ever sees another Elder Scrolls or Fallout).
You speak of projection. Your device loyalty is completely impairing your senses.

Sigh...you attempt to make your point greater when you have absolutely zero real world signs of anything. You keep trying to preorder a PS5, which is sold out everywhere. So what would be the point of a price reduction? An apology because MS bought Bethesda? Or that Sony customers can't stream games on their cellphone that needs a gamepad that no one carries around and stringent bandwidth restrictions? I don't see your point. Why?

I listed COD not because it's exclusive, but to illustrate my point that Sony's business strategy is to give you excellent first party games and first class treatment from other third party developers, whether that is outright console exclusives or timed exclusives with exclusive items.

That hasn't changed, MS is merely starting to catch up in the first party department. Again, your fanboy excitement is making you create silly premises on which to build your very basic point, that is this:

"Guys!! Xbox totallzz war on Sony! They are pwoned!!! Sony am doomed!!".

yurinka

Off Topic, but does anyone know if these are all "PS5 Boost Mode" I really want to play BB with improved visuals and FPS :)
At least in their website mention higher or more stable framerates in boost mode. I assume this means higher framerate for the games with unlocked framerate, and more stable to the ones with locked framerate.

They didn't specify if boost mode will include something to increse framerate for games with capped framerate with something like interpolating frames, or if they will do something to increase resolution for games that didn't have a 4K PS Pro patch. We'll have to wait and see.

spons

Gold Member
I'd rather see them apply the razor and razor-blade model. Dump the console on the market for next to nothing at a loss, then make profit out of the games. Sony has both an expensive device and expensive games, so they're doubling up.

Njocky

Banned
Sigh...you attempt to make your point greater when you have absolutely zero real world signs of anything. You keep trying to preorder a PS5, which is sold out everywhere. So what would be the point of a price reduction? An apology because MS bought Bethesda? Or that Sony customers can't stream games on their cellphone that needs a gamepad that no one carries around and stringent bandwidth restrictions? I don't see your point. Why?

I listed COD not because it's exclusive, but to illustrate my point that Sony's business strategy is to give you excellent first party games and first class treatment from other third party developers, whether that is outright console exclusives or timed exclusives with exclusive items.

That hasn't changed, MS is merely starting to catch up in the first party department. Again, your fanboy excitement is making you create silly premises on which to build your very basic point, that is this:

"Guys!! Xbox totallzz war on Sony! They are pwoned!!! Sony am doomed!!".

What you call first class treatment from 3rd parties does not compare to what Xbox is offering. I have both consoles but I can at least admit that. I suppose we disagree on whether they should change the price. That's fair enough.

Azurro

Banned
What you call first class treatment from 3rd parties does not compare to what Xbox is offering. I have both consoles but I can at least admit that. I suppose we disagree on whether they should change the price. That's fair enough.

What does MS offer at this point that is so much more attractive than what Sony is offering? That should reflect in sales figures, right? So then why isn't Xbox lighting up the sales charts even with Gamepass as almost a giveaway?

This is a dumb question.
Would I like a cheaper PS5?
Yes of course.

Should they reduce the PS5's price?
That depends on how well its selling. These are businesses, they will charge the highest possible price they can get away with.

Njocky

Banned
What does MS offer at this point that is so much more attractive than what Sony is offering? That should reflect in sales figures, right? So then why isn't Xbox lighting up the sales charts even with Gamepass as almost a giveaway?
I'm not invested in company's earning figures. I compare objectively what they offer to me the consumer. This is a new generation and the the mass market has not yet spoken.

Stuart360

No need to. Its already at a fair price imo, and Sony fanboys are loyal, i'll give them that. The PS5 will sell very well, and be the most successful next gen console, worldwide at the least.
The only thing i would say is they probably could reduce the main console a bit if they wanted as a $100 difference when Sony would probably be paying $20 for the drives (with the sheer bulk numbers they would be buying) still puzzles me a bit. Either they want you to buy the digital version, or they are making a sizeable loss on it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This thread wins the absolute fucking stupidest thread on GAF. That says something.
Dropping the price of something that is going to fly off the shelf really suggests we need an overhaul to education especially when it comes to economics.

yurinka

Yes, 25 percent less powerful, should cost 25 percent less.
Then onsidering Series S is 66.6% less powerful than Series X only looking at teraflops and not counting having half SSD space, no disc and 6GB less of RAM then they should sell Series S at maximum $165 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheAssist

Once enough people start commenting about trying the latest FIFA and Battlefield weeks before people on Playstation, without paying anything extra, word will spread.

Im sure EA will love to see Battlefield and all their Sports franchises on another subscription service day 1.
Yes they put last years games on there. You can buy FIFA20 for 5 bucks on PSN. They dont care as soon as the next one has released. Because their customers dont care for last years game.

EA, Activision, Ubisoft probably wont support MS in its gamepass ventures, at least not day 1. Gamepass is to them what TV is to movie studios. As soon as no one is going to the cinema and buying the DVD's/Blu Rays, then you put it on TV. Its called a value chain. And MS is creating one for 3rd parties.
And just like TV stations they put their own stuff on their as well. Whether or not those games will be worth it to keep being subscribed to the service remains to be seen.

Azurro

Banned
I'm not invested in company's earning figures. I compare objectively what they offer to me the consumer. This is a new generation and the the mass market has not yet spoken.

Well, that's quite a silly response. First you mention that Sony's market position is so weak that they need to reduce the price of the PS5 and then say you don't care about their market position?

Everyone is telling you how dumb this is since the market is speaking very strongly at the moment. People were pissed they can't buy enough of a product and yet you say Sony should reduce the price...so they can sell more of a product that is in such a high demand that it can't find enough PS5's to cover existing demand?

Let's be nice and say it's faulty reasoning.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yes a price adjustment could be a huge advantage over MS if not add in a year membership for free PS Plus is going to be great bro

Njocky

Banned
Well, that's quite a silly response. First you mention that Sony's market position is so weak that they need to reduce the price of the PS5 and then say you don't care about their market position?

Everyone is telling you how dumb this is since the market is speaking very strongly at the moment. People were pissed they can't buy enough of a product and yet you say Sony should reduce the price...so they can sell more of a product that is in such a high demand that it can't find enough PS5's to cover existing demand?

Let's be nice and say it's faulty reasoning.

You clearly only read the responses that pet your subservience to your corporation of choice. It's your right.

And it's my right to take into account market changes to reassess value. Just like the casual gamers will once they tune in. Sony already knows that. While you are picking fights for them on forums, they are either preparing an announcement to counter Microsoft's or planning a price reduction in the first year once the dust on limited supply settles. There isn't faultier reasoning than that of someone allergic to any facts that go against their deep seeded bias.

They waited out Microsoft on the price, then picked the exact same price as MS, which is an admission by them that they assess the value to be at best the same between the 2 products.
Well, the value on the MS side has significantly increased. That's what an investment of that size does in any business sector. It's not my fault if you don't have the maturity to understand it or if it goes against your plastic allegiance. That's just the facts.

I let you do the rest of the maths on which direction the price should take from here on out (I'm that trusting). And again, my thread title doesn't say "today".

Last edited:

Ryllix_

Yes. $500 is too much for any console given current events. Once they burn through early adopters both systems will be sitting on shelves. A game console is a want not a need.

Also, $70 for games is ridiculous too. They're going to deter people from buying new content simply on that alone. Why buy a $500 machine that requires $70 games when you can simply keep playing your PS4 for another year or two? Sony seems to be forgetting they're not running against Microsoft here -- they're running against the PS4.
This is basically what I was going to post, so I'll just quote it instead. There are always early adopters with lots of money to buy pre-orders on new technology. We'll see a rush through Christmas season and then there will be a lull when people still don't have the money to drop on a $400 console + $50 extra controller + $70 games.

Njocky

Banned
This thread wins the absolute fucking stupidest thread on GAF. That says something.
Dropping the price of something that is going to fly off the shelf really suggests we need an overhaul to education especially when it comes to economics.
Is it flying off the shelf because of superior value? Some of you are more invested in Sony's stock than their board members. The market is not entirely made only of avid early adopters. And that's economic theory.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it flying off the shelf because of superior value? Some of you are more invested in Sony's stock than their board members. The market is not entirely made only of avid early adopters. And that's economic theory.
Nobody with a functioning brain would ever argue that dropping the price of something is smart move when the supply is being sold like hotcakes.

Njocky

Banned
Nobody with a functioning brain would ever argue that dropping the price of something is smart move when the supply is being sold like hotcakes.
If it's the WHEN that we are disagreeing on, just note that I didn't suggest when Sony should do it. You can put down your shield and your helmet now.

ethomaz

Banned
After look at initial preorder I confirm my guesses that Xbox needs a price drop... the Series S ASAP.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Why would they lower the price when they are selling out of preorders immediately upon listing them?

Should we charge less money for this incredibly hot item people can't seem to buy fast enough? Yes that sounds like a good business decision.

SkylineRKR

You can get a 399 PS5, without compromises other than no disc tray. Its the same power inside.

PS5 is beating Series X in pre orders and the Series S can still be pre ordered here for a November 10 date. Which means they either have a fuck ton or they don't really fly off the shelves. I think MS was better off with a 399 Series X without disc tray as well. I pre ordered the S though, I like its design and price. I see it as a great GP console.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
If it's the WHEN that we are disagreeing on, just note that I didn't suggest when Sony should do it. You can put down your shield and your helmet now.

Mate, you know that is how the technology lifecycle works, right? You reach the different audiences in steps, first you get the diehards that have to have it new (us, forum goers and such) and then you reduce the price to reach audiences that spend less.

Unless you think the demand is going to fall off a cliff after 10 million units, I'm not sure what you are arguing about man. If Gamepass was so devastating, you'd see the devices being sold like crazy or steam engagement numbers falling by a lot because Gamepass is there on PC.

Yet Xbox Series S is still available, what does that tell you? Where are these legions of people that want hardcore games yet are too cheap to get a console?

Last edited:
Top Bottom