• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony Consider A Ratchet & Clank Animated CG TV Series With Netflix?

Would You Like To See a Ratchet & Clank CG Animated Series?

• Yes

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Do a movie instead

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ratchet-blog-1613060810736.jpg

So Sony are gearing up with more Rift Apart gameplay previews this Thursday, and in terms of excitement this is probably the most excited people have been for the IP in a very long time. For me personally, it's easily one of the graphical showcases for what next-gen gaming can bring (the others on that short list in terms of games actually out or very clearly on the way coming out in the next month or two are FS 2020, Demon's Souls Remake, and Returnal...I might be forgetting some upcoming May/June releases though) and the closest to a Pixar film any game's gotten so far (Kena might be a very respectable runner-up though). It also looks like it'll really put Insomniac in the driver's seat even further when it comes to Sony 1P studios doing work with their new console.

is-ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-coming-to-ps4.jpg

However, my question is this: given Sony's recent deals with streaming platforms like Netflix, and the fact they've already attempted a R&C film a few years ago (to very mixed reception, mind), should Sony consider a CG animated series for the IP on Netflix? In terms of platforming franchises with TV shows, the only one with any notable entries is, ironically enough, Sonic. The games themselves might've been hit-or-miss the past few years (hoping the next Sonic Team one is a banger to meet or exceed Sonic Mania), but some of the shows like the Sonic Boom animated series have been quite well-received. And the recent film was very well received (here's hoping the sequel is even better).

Rift-Apart-gameplay.jpg

So with that in mind, could a well-produced Ratchet & Clank CG animated series be similarly well-received on a platform like Netflix, especially considering all the good vibes the new game seems to be producing? I personally think Yes, and a series like R&C might be better served with a TV series vs. a film, considering the lore. I also think it's the kind of IP that lends itself very well to other trans-media content like collectible figures, clothing, and even Gundam-style builder kits for some of the planets and ship vessels, plus maybe toy lines for the kids.

It'd be a quite good way for Sony to diversify offerings with specific IPs that lend themselves well to other types of media and can be leveraged by their other divisions without impeding the game development side of things or hamstring a developer like Insomniac. But what do you guys think? Would you be interested in such a series?

MrSarcastic

Banned
I know they have made some anime from Gravity Rush right?:..Anime is the hot shit Right Now. forget about this western shit and make a new Gravity Rush anime, Demon´s souls, or BlodBorne shit too.

Yes as part of the Sony movie pass thingy.
Did anyone notice that Funimation actually updated the app this week? I just found out. It's almost usable now.
Sony doing good things lately.

Well I don't think there are enough potential fans, take me, I definitely anticipate the game but have zero interests in film tv products for the series.

ZywyPL

Banned
Absolutely, the potential is clearly there. We already have great game-based animated series like Castlevania, DOTA etc. so R&C would also work well.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dota of all things got a series and that’s a game with the only story being: kill the other team and demolish their buildings.

Unsurprisingly the show has nothing to do with the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, i like them but they are not exactly incredible characters...

They can work for little childrens maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom