• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Phil Spencer be replaced at the head of Xbox?

“I honestly think we’re in the best launch lineup position that we’ve ever been on Xbox,” Spencer said.

News of July 20, 2020.

From my point of view Spencer has not kept any of his promises so far, he only knows how to sell smoke year after year. It is time for someone else to take over.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He's not a coder at 343. He's making very broad, large scale decisions.

He's basically the guy that made MS refocus on making games, made multiple smart purchases of new studios, made Gamepass a focus with all first party games on day one, made backwards compatibility a focus. He's giving all the studios very large budgets. He's possibly funded the more powerful of the two consoles.

I still don't see anything he's actually doing wrong. It takes a long time to build top tier studios. If anyone should be in the hot seat, it's the head of 343, or the head of Xbox Games Studios development as a whole.

AllBizness

Banned
“I honestly think we’re in the best launch lineup position that we’ve ever been on Xbox,” Spencer said.

News of July 20, 2020.

From my point of view Spencer has not kept any of his promises so far, he only knows how to sell smoke year after year. It is time for someone else to take over.
I agree, it's time for Phil to go.

GHG

Gold Member
Current free agent:

2002988337.jpg

No, I don’t thInk he should be replaced. I say let’s revisit this at the end of 2021 and maybe by then he will show he was either a good fit for the job or not.

Hinedorf

Banned
Depends on your perception of video games and the current climate of consoles. There's lots of filthy casuals that are probably content with everything they get from Microsoft. As a hardcore gamer who refuses to miss anything I can't recall during the entire console generation of the X1/PS4 where I felt like if I didn't have that X1 I was missing out. Counter that with most of my favorite console games of the last decade being exclusive to either Nintendo or Sony. What is Microsoft bringing to the table to make me want their console?

IMO he should've already been fired unless Microsoft's ultimate goal is mediocrity, mission accomplished.

fermcr

The first year of the Xbox Series will dictate if Phil Spencer gets replaced or not as head of Xbox division... this November and December will be decisive.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
No because in the end, it looks like he took the right decision when presented with the evidence.

Also, GamePass and XCloud are projects that came to fruition under his leadership, and he gets credit for those.

I think that heads need to roll at 343i first.

I don’t think it matters at this point.

The Xbox brand is a spent force.

What are you talking about? Microsoft is making more money than ever on the Xbox. They’ll continue investing on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom