• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo make a portable console like a successor to the 3DS next to the Switch?

Would you buy a successor to the DS?

• I would love a new smaller proper handheld, bring back the past!

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Making a portable system when the Switch is portable is really fucking stupid

Votes: 155 84.7%
  • I would be interested, depends on the games

Votes: 6 3.3%

• Total voters

cireza

Banned
The Switch is not a proper handheld console. It runs home console games, but these are not adapted for handheld play, especially the size of the text and the huds. And as a home console it is weak because of its small size.

It would be great if Nintendo could make the decision of either doing a home console or a handheld, but not both at the time. This would ensure we get a better quality experience.

NahaNago

I've been thinking for awhile that the next switch version should be the clam style with the dock for tv play. I'm always weirded out with how the switch is docked and think putting a ds like switch into a dock would look better.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'd rather they keep the Switch Lite as their portable option and release a more powerfull TV only console beside it. Like.. what they've always done.

Household IP's like Zelda being hampered just so it can be played on a handheld makes me sad...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I would not. Because in my past experience, every time I bought a "new" variation of the DS, and even better one came out (not long after my purchase) that would over shadow that one. It felt like damn clockwork, it happened every single time, lol.

Uh, the Switch IS portable, and Nintendo is already treating it like they did the DS. So, I'm sure we're gonna continue to see other variations of the Switch in the future.

Reactions: TLZ
It's probably not logical, but when has that ever stopped Nintendo? :p

I still play and love my DSiXL - maybe Nintendo's greatest ever, all things considered. I like the smaller form factor. As long as there is great content, I'd get it.

Nintendo knew that their success rely on 1st party game outputs. However, they realized they couldn't split their output between two different hardware.

They made the Switch. But more importantly they merged their handheld and console studios. Now they only make games for ONE machine. Thus maintain best quality 1st party games. Nintendo is focusing on what they are good at.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nintendo knew that their success rely on 1st party game outputs. However, they realized they couldn't split their output between two different hardware.

They made the Switch. But more importantly they merged their handheld and console studios. Now they only make games for ONE machine. Thus maintain best quality 1st party games. Nintendo is focusing on what they are good at.

Best quality? Come on man...

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Onironauta

I feel like this gen their first party output is already lacking while they focus all of their resources on the Switch.
Nintendo in their current state can't support two different consoles.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
maybe a smaller Switch Lite later down the line, everything else is unlikely.

Nah. Personally I’m gonna hack my 3ds I dug out to replay Samus Returns and that’s gonna be my actual “portable” go to, and even then it’s a bit too big to fit in any pocket comfortably. I doubt any DS successor or even smaller Switch would really be worth making at this point.

Last edited:

Spacefish

I really miss the 3D screen, so yes.
It was not a gimmick, 3D without glasses was simply genius.
It's really obvious how great 3d was when you see games like bravely default 2, there's a magic quality that is completely absent. It was kind of their own fault for releasing it in a half baked form much like with motion controls, they keep salting the earth on interesting developments.

Sorcerer

No. Wasn't one of Nintendo's problems the fact that they had to split resources to make games for 2 totally different machines? The Switch solves the problem of a home console and portability. In fact I can't even envision Nintendo moving on to/back to a traditional console again ,whether its called Switch or something else.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

The Switch is not a proper handheld console. It runs home console games, but these are not adapted for handheld play, especially the size of the text and the huds. And as a home console it is weak because of its small size.

It would be great if Nintendo could make the decision of either doing a home console or a handheld, but not both at the time. This would ensure we get a better quality experience.
I definitely agree with you on that point.

I'd still like to see them do both handheld and home console with separate games for both, but it's natural the way they went. Mobile gaming kinda put them in a corner in that regard. The real question is probably, what will they do next?

Ceadeus

The thing is, the 3DS had many more original 3rd party releases. The switch is kind of dry and developers are looking to make console quality title on a machine that struggles running things like Hyrule warriors calamity.

Urban

Nintendo will never go back from the concept of the switch. Its the perfect solution for them. They will never make a Solo home console again nore will they make a solo handheld again.

Last edited:

Impotaku

While I think that probably will be the case for the foreseeable future, anyone claiming they KNOW what Nintendo will do, obviously doesn't know Nintendo.
Pretty much this, nintendo do what they like and people just can't accept this fact. This is why there's so many supposed "fans" that are super angry about whatever nintendo do no matter what it is. It's like they are supposed to be catered to on their every wish, sorry nintendo don't work that way you either accept or move on as no amount of crying about it is going to change anything.

And sticking on topic there's no need to go back to a 3ds style system the switch now does what that did plus more the only thing i do miss is the 3D screen, well i don't miss it as i have a 3DS but miss it in the sense that stereo 3D games are no longer made it was a very cool gimmick. As to people saying that home versions of games don't work in a handheld format on switch it totally depends on the publisher. When games are ported from what clearly was a home console release western dev style they don't bother to make the fonts bigger for handheld mode i have found this as well but a lot of games that are made for switch seem to be made for both scenarios very few games in my library have teeny tiny text. For someone who loves scrolling shooters & rhythm games the switch has become an amazing machine for me it's packed with both. Plus the fact you can screen rotate in handheld is just the icing on the cake. 3DS barely got any shooters and only a handful of rhythm games.

Pretty much this, nintendo do what they like and people just can't accept this fact. This is why there's so many supposed "fans" that are super angry about whatever nintendo do no matter what it is. It's like they are supposed to be catered to on their every wish, sorry nintendo don't work that way you either accept or move on as no amount of crying about it is going to change anything.

And sticking on topic there's no need to go back to a 3ds style system the switch now does what that did plus more the only thing i do miss is the 3D screen, well i don't miss it as i have a 3DS but miss it in the sense that stereo 3D games are no longer made it was a very cool gimmick. As to people saying that home versions of games don't work in a handheld format on switch it totally depends on the publisher. When games are ported from what clearly was a home console release western dev style they don't bother to make the fonts bigger for handheld mode i have found this as well but a lot of games that are made for switch seem to be made for both scenarios very few games in my library have teeny tiny text. For someone who loves scrolling shooters & rhythm games the switch has become an amazing machine for me it's packed with both. Plus the fact you can screen rotate in handheld is just the icing on the cake. 3DS barely got any shooters and only a handful of rhythm games.
My favorite is "Nintendo doesn't like money" because they don't do something fans think they should do.

Obviously, Nintendo likes money and they're incredibly good at making it even if their methods often seem crazy or counter-productive.

Impotaku

This is when you find out if someone has grown up or not, you either accept it and just buy what you like. Or you rage like a child who didn't get what they wanted.

Even if nintendo totally failed in the videogame market they would adapt, before videogames they made toys, before toys they made other stuff like food & other random household items like prams & candyfloss machines and alsorts of random items before all that card games and other traditional games. Do i like everything nintendo put out? lol definitely no there's loads of stuff i don't like for example if fire emblem fell off the end of the earth i wouldn't be sad, i just buy what appeals to me. I love fun japanese quirky stuff and nintendo systems usually have it in droves either by them or 3rd parties. Now that a lot of japanese 3rd parties are getting on board there's that DS feeling coming back where weird stuff gets released because they just feel like it. Experimental games are a welcome appearance just like they were on DS.

When people go "i'm a huge nintendo fan but....." you know some shit is usually gonna follow that statement. For a company that's supposedly so shit in gafs eyes they certainly seem to be doing well all the same. But i forgot, japan doesn't count because they are not real gamers over there and only play mobile lol.

Last edited:

yurinka

The Switch is a portable and it has now 3 SKUs, one of them even portable only.

It would be dumb to release a separate portable to compete with Switch, it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Impotaku

I wish Nintendo make a Switch TV. A Gamecube like console that runs Switch games at 60 fps at 4k and high settings. That would be great. It makes a lot of sense too.
Problem is quite a few games on switch only work in handheld mode as they need the touch screen so it would kind of fragment the library.

They don't have enough first party studios to manage two consoles. Even with Switch only their output could be bit better quantity wise.

kiphalfton

No. BUT I do think Nintendo should make a home console that is backwards compatible with Switch games, and has actual technology that can run games at 1080p and 60FPS.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
They should do for the original GB and GBA what the did for the NES classic. Put 15 OG GB games, 15 GBC games, and 15 GBA games on it.

And then of course I’d hack it and put whatever I wanted on it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No, Nintendo already doesn’t have enough in house developers to support their single console, why the hell would we want them to divide their resources again to support 2 different vectors?

the cell phone market destroyed the dedicated portable handle gaming market, the switch was the correct answer for it

Hugare

Glad that you put the "really fucking stupid" option on the poll

What Nintendo should do is make a Switch Mini

Would buy that shit in a heartbeat

Because the Switch is anything but portable. You look like a dork playing that giant tablet while walking around/on a train and etc.

The thing doesnt fit any pockets and etc.

The 3DS XL was already a little too big fir a portable, but the Switch is just ridiculous

But making a different portable device would be stupid for a lot of reasons

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
LoL nintendo can't even manage making decent titles for the switch, they ain't doing it for two systems.

Wasn't killing the 3ds supposed to improve development time, but releases are still as barren and uninteresting as ever?

Caio

It doesn't make sense to make another portable next to a portable. Come on guys.
Yeah yeah, Switch is not a portable, is an hybrid console, it can also be a Home Console, with the power of a PS3 plus something...

that's why the Switch Lite exists though...

all Nintendo need to do is make a beefed up Switch 2 with exclusive games. it's really that simple. they're printing money with Switch. put out a Switch 2 that has BC support for Switch (1) games. Remember how the Playstation 2 could play Playstation 1 games? That's what Nintendo need to do. They'd be stupid to abandon or compromise the Switch brand.

my dream Switch 2 specs would be:

8 core CPU
16GB RAM
Turing GPU (with support for DLSS)
256GB Storage
720p 7" OLED display or 1080p only if they can still get good battery life
aim for 2160p TV output. if a game struggles to hit 4K then it can use DLSS. if it can hit 4K easily then use DLSS for higher framerates.
WiFi 6E support
Bluetooth 5.2 support

wouldn't be surprised though if they go with a 6 core CPU with 8GB RAM and no DLSS.

Last edited:

Amin_Parker

Unless they're completing exiting the console business, I don't see how continuing down the hybrid route is a good thing long term. There's always going to be hardware limitations with portables and I don't see how anyone is going want a $400-500 Nintendo handheld console.
I know I would buy a $400 or a $500 Nintendo handheld and guess what I bet there are millions upon Millions upon Millions upon millions of Gamers that agree with me and do you know why? Because if it's the most powerful handheld on the market its going to sell like crazy. Handhelds are not supposed to be direct competition to your beloved Sony PlayStation consoles. It's a totally different Market. And the funny thing is, is that the hybrid Market is a completely brand new market that Nintendo has created and Nintendo is currently setting the rules, and the trends and the philosophies of that particular market and just because you don't like it doesn't mean the rest of us doesn't like it. The sales speak for itself my friend.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why wouldn’t they just make a smaller switch? Which they kind of did with the lite. I don’t understand this thinking.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t they just make a smaller switch? Which they kind of did with the lite. I don’t understand this thinking.
I guess the thinking is Nintendo is putting out TOO many games on the Switch, so they want them to split those up among two handhelds?

Yeah, I got nothing.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The time is right. I bet Nintendo could make a really cool handheld with 3 screens. One screen is stereoscopic 3D, one is a resistive touch screen for stylus controls, and the last one is capacitive touch screen for fingers/multi touch.

They could create their own custom ARM SoC that’s roughly the power of the Wii. Just imagine something like Super Mario Galaxy on a handheld in full 480p!!

as for the gimmick, IMO there will be an accelerometer inside the stylus. You can wank the stylus around randomly to make stuff happen just like in Wii. It’s gonna be awesome. I’m calling it right now: the next Fire Emblem game will have a massage minigame where you jiggle the stylus vigorously while your party members grunt and moan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom