• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nintendo be more ruthless and charge more for their Nintendo Switch Online service?

Ludist210

But Nintendo charges more for less in so many other areas, and get away with it with flying colors.

It's not a totally off-base question.
I didn't say it was off-base, I just gave my opinion. It's not even close to other console's online features. At its current price point, I'll pay for it ($20/year) along with GamePass Ultimate ($15/month). If that price went up $10-$20 a year, I'd have to cut one.

Shouldn't they actually, you know, make the service worth paying more for first before charging more for it? It's the cheapest by far for many reasons even Nintendo is self aware about.

OrtizTwelve

Playstation and Xbox have leveraged their services into monsters and are cashing in on billions. Sony's financial success this generation has been heavily dependent on their subscription services and Xbox has put all their chips on Game Pass.

OF COURSE it would suck, we all know that. The service doesn't contain the free games or the libraries of Playstation Now, Playstation Plus, or Game Pass.

BUT.

From a pure business perspective, do you think Nintendo could get away with charging more? from a hardcore gamer perspective, we would obviously be angry and lash out at the lack of free games and proper voice chat, but would there be any significant problems on a larger scale? if they charged double and retained 60% or 70% of the subscriptions, they cash in on multiple millions. Are they dumb for not being more ruthless right now when people can't get enough Nintendo?

Switch
Nintendo Switch Online: $3.99

Playstation
Playstation Plus: $9.99
Playstation Now: $9.99

Xbox
Game Pass Ultimate: $14.99

NSO_EN_1080_040221_h264

Nintendo’s “online service” is barely a service (if you can even call it a service) and is absolutely pitiful compared to what Xbox and PlayStation offer on a console.

What you’re really paying for is just a subscription for their crappy NES and SNES emulators with monthly game additions. The “online service” part is barely present.

Last edited:
Love the Switch but at the moment Nintendo must pay me to play online on this console.
Except for NES o SNES games, a plus, the service is nonexistent.

turtlepowa

Banned
If those rumors of a collaboration with Microsoft are true, i think we could see a huge improvement of the service. Right now it's not worth more.

Robb

Gold Member
It's not even worth what they're asking for right now IMO. But I don't doubt they would be able to charge more for it anyway.. People would probably still pay for it.

Top Bottom