• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft make Bethesda games only on Xbox and PC or continue to support Nintendo and PlayStation by releasing games on those platforms?

Should they share the games with Sony and Nintendo?

• Yes they should share it.

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • No keep it for themselves.

Votes: 305 69.0%

• Total voters

DaGwaphics

When you warp into the future it’s difficult for you to see how something happening now factors in. Today, none of the games, and there are many in this deal, are synonymous with the x brand. I can go out and buy a disc and play all or most of these games on different PlayStations and Nintendo consoles. As I said
Them LEAVING these games multiplat is not the same as making Halo multiplat Or Sony making Uncharted multiplat or Nintendo making Mario multiplat. Zeni studios are hired guns that are going to be, for the most part, making established IPs that made their company able to be valued and purchased for 7.5 million. That’s how it factors in.

That was the past. Just like with Spider-Man expect things to change directions in the future. Hell, Mario was originally multi-plat too.

FrankWza

That was the past. Just like with Spider-Man expect things to change directions in the future. Hell, Mario was originally multi-plat too.
Spider-Man is a 60 year old Ip that is a comic book creation. Ask 1000 people what system Mario is on. 990 will say Nintendo. Fallout 5 going exclusive is not going to make fallout boy a mascot over master chief. You won’t see him plastered on launch units the way MC was on series x boxes. if one of these studios makes a new IP that can grow with Xbox I can understand making that comparison. But all these existing IPs have absolutely no ties to Xbox the way halo or gears does.

Spider-Man is a 60 year old Ip that is a comic book creation. Ask 1000 people what system Mario is on. 990 will say Nintendo. Fallout 5 going exclusive is not going to make fallout boy a mascot over master chief. You won’t see him plastered on launch units the way MC was on series x boxes. if one of these studios makes a new IP that can grow with Xbox I can understand making that comparison. But all these existing IPs have absolutely no ties to Xbox the way halo or gears does.
ffva.png

give it time

MonarchJT

Banned
who cares about all of that? i mean who cares? if for a crazy hypothesis tomorrow mario release on PlayStation they will not play it coz it looks like it doesn't belong to the PlayStation platform? what is the real point of the speech? we're talking about video games, not some extremist religion

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They didn't before, but they sure might going forward. Maybe Starfield will be the new Xbox killer app, who knows.

The pretzels you tie yourself up in trying to make these arguments. So let me get this straight, there is a certain age for an IP when it's okay for them to be exclusive, but too new and it's no good? LOL Or is it more of an issue where it's only okay if Sony does it?

FrankWza

They didn't before, but they sure might going forward. Maybe Starfield will be the new Xbox killer app, who knows.

The pretzels you tie yourself up in trying to make these arguments. So let me get this straight, there is a certain age for an IP when it's okay for them to be exclusive, but too new and it's no good? LOL Or is it more of an issue where it's only okay if Sony does it?
Spider-Man isn’t a video game ip. I said it’s a 60 year old comic book. It wasn’t created to be a video game. Mariocomes from donkey Kong or whatever but it’s a video game creation. Same as master chief. There’s no twisting. Some games are first party creations. None of the existing games are or can be considered first party creations. It has nothing to do with age, it’s just what it is. Fallout isn’t a first party creation and neither is the evil within. They’re not the same as halo, Mario or uncharted

MonarchJT

Banned
Spider-Man isn’t a video game ip. I said it’s a 60 year old comic book. It wasn’t created to be a video game. Mariocomes from donkey Kong or whatever but it’s a video game creation. Same as master chief. There’s no twisting. Some games are first party creations. None of the existing games are or can be considered first party creations. It has nothing to do with age, it’s just what it is. Fallout isn’t a first party creation and neither is the evil within. They’re not the same as halo, Mario or uncharted
again ...why the average joe should care if his new fallout preferred game was once a multiplatform? political faith? Consumerist intransigence? principle? ...what are you talking about?

Last edited:

FrankWza

who cares about all of that? i mean who cares? if for a crazy hypothesis tomorrow mario release on PlayStation they will not play it coz it looks like it doesn't belong to the PlayStation platform? what is the real point of the speech? we're talking about video games, not some extremist religion
It's not about being disingenuous, but because MS has done it with other IPs. So they give the feeling they're not as fussed about it as we are.

Personally, I prefer exclusives.

Comparing acquisitions to internally developed IPs or studios is never going to make sense. Them LEAVING these games multiplat is not the same as making Halo multiplat Or Sony making Uncharted multiplat or Nintendo making Mario multiplat. Zeni studios are hired guns that are going to be, for the most part, making established IPs that made their company able to be valued and purchased for 7.5 million. That’s the bottom line on the dumb question of why it doesn’t apply to Sony or Nintendo. None of these games or IPs are even close to being remotely synonymous with Xbox. When Sony or Nintendo pay for a bunch of studios and a bunch of games we can ask that question. Meanwhile they continue to make games from studios they develop or nurture and maintain great relationships with and then purchase.
It’s not about caring one way or another. It’s about bringing Sony or Nintendo into the conversation and then making their first party games multiplat. There’s a difference between master chief and kratos vs fallout boy.

Microsoft is not interested in selling as much consoles as possible, they just want as much Game Pass subscribers as possible. If they were interested in exclusives and selling platforms they wouldn't port all games to pc and offer xCloud. I'm pretty sure we will see most if not all Bethesda games on PS and Switch, but not day1.
So you're saying Xbox Game Pass will be available on PlayStation 5 consoles and Nintendo Switches?

FrankWza

again ...why the average joe should care if his new fallout preferred game was once a multiplatform? political faith? Consumerist intransigence? principle? ...what are you talking about?
You might want to read more than one post to gain context.

93xfan

Banned
Strike a deal. No reason to give Sony those games with no IPs given in return

I guess they could also allow Gamepass streaming, if Sony and Nintendo are interested

Last edited:

NickFire

Gamepass will only ever become a service that can be available on PlayStation/Nintendo when and if MS ever turns it into a service that can survive on the back of MS published/exclusive games.

People who think a service with the majority of content being third party will be available on those platforms are quite honestly, dumb as fuck. Like seriously, stop playing shooters and go read about how the world works, my god.
I understand why you feel this way, and you are 100% correct that third party deals would need to be ironed out / addressed. But the certainty in your conclusion is off base. It would certainly be challenging but far from impossible. MS could always offer a first party only tier for competing platforms, and might make even more depending on how much of their cut goes to third parties. IF MS keeps 50% of current revenue with third parties, but could get 70% from Sony with no obligation to third parties, they make more money that month. And even in the current form, many of the third parties would play ball and negotiate. As long as they make more money on gamepass than off it, most pubs would prefer to make said money.

MonarchJT

Banned
It’s not about caring one way or another. It’s about bringing Sony or Nintendo into the conversation and then making their first party games multiplat. There’s a difference between master chief and kratos vs fallout boy.
I've read what you wrote and I can say you're right Kratos or halo are different than what fallout boy will be on Xbox. It's important ? practically zero. You are attaching something to the (named) IPs , personal feelings that in reality have almost no rivalence in the market, especially if oriented towards the future. There are generations of players growing every year, my grandson for example he is playing Luigi mansion on a nintendo console but to him, having almost 5 years, he doesn't care less about what nintendo is and the story behind its games, and if tomorrow he could play Mario PlayStation or on a phone (even better) he would do it without thinking about it. So I understand what you are saying but they are hardcore gamer speeches that are fine for a forum like this the average player does not care if Bethesda is owned by ms or sony

turtlepowa

Banned
So you're saying Xbox Game Pass will be available on PlayStation 5 consoles and Nintendo Switches?
They would if they could:
Porting to Switch and Playstation 5 does not get them Game Pass subscribers, it actually hurts them in the long run for getting said subs.

Not sure what fantasyland PS fanboys still live in but don't expect many Xbox games to come out for PS5 after all the exclusivity and contact deals are done and dusted.
No PlayStation fanboy here, i don't even own one. I think Microsoft will try to make the most money out of Bethesda and i think the games will come 1 or 2 years later to Nintendo/Sony. Those who did'nt subscribe for the games within that time probably never will, but they might buy them on their system. I also think that we will see a more Sony games on Pc this gen.

DaGwaphics

But who cares. Sony made Spider-Man exclusive and is using that as a tool to sell consoles. MS can do the same with the entire Zeni library, where the IPs started is irrelevant. If they are only available on Xbox going forward, console players will need a Xbox simple as that, with time an association between those games and Xbox would form automatically.

DaGwaphics

Microsoft is not interested in selling as much consoles as possible, they just want as much Game Pass subscribers as possible. If they were interested in exclusives and selling platforms they wouldn't port all games to pc and offer xCloud. I'm pretty sure we will see most if not all Bethesda games on PS and Switch, but not day1.

Microsoft seems to care a lot about growing their ecosystem. There is a common thread between GP on PC, Xbox, and via Xcloud it all runs straight through MS. They get that cut of any microtransactions that occur on third-party apps, which is one of the largest pieces of the puzzle at this point.

Shubh_C63

Whay do you mean by auction house? Why would a single player game have a auction house?
Auction house, Horse dlc, mod shop whatever. You know what I mean.

If they can add that kind of services in their game then putting it on many platform as possible after an year its the best option for them

Interfectum

When you warp into the future it’s difficult for you to see how something happening now factors in. Today, none of the games, and there are many in this deal, are synonymous with the x brand. I can go out and buy a disc and play all or most of these games on different PlayStations and Nintendo consoles. As I said
Them LEAVING these games multiplat is not the same as making Halo multiplat Or Sony making Uncharted multiplat or Nintendo making Mario multiplat. Zeni studios are hired guns that are going to be, for the most part, making established IPs that made their company able to be valued and purchased for 7.5 million. That’s how it factors in.
Hopes and dreams. MS spent $7.5 billion to push Xbox / Game Pass. Within 5 years Bethesda will be known as an Xbox brand. That's how this is going to work.

You will see Bethesda games on any platform that also allows Game Pass... PC, Xbox Consoles, Mobile, etc. You will not see them on PlayStation past these older deals. Any money they make from selling games on PS is pennies compared to the growth of having it exclusive on their platform.

This is a tired argument that won't be believed until we actually see it happen though and even then I'm sure you'll hold out for years waiting for the 'inevitable port.'

Wulfer

Nope, Sony wants to lock up Spider-man make them feel the pain they dish out. Nintendo is different, Nintendo could return the favor like releasing Goldeneye....

FrankWza

It's important ? practically zero. You are attaching something to the (named) IPs , personal feelings that in reality have almost no rivalence in the market, especially if oriented towards the future.
I don’t think it’s important. It’s a response to the argument why doesn’t anyone ask Sony or Nintendo to make their first party games multiplat. It’s a stupid argument. Nobody is saying to make anything multiplat. This instance would be KEEPING the games multiplats and available on more consoles.

FrankWza

Hopes and dreams. MS spent $7.5 billion to push Xbox / Game Pass. Within 5 years Bethesda will be known as an Xbox brand. That's how this is going to work.

You will see Bethesda games on any platform that also allows Game Pass... PC, Xbox Consoles, Mobile, etc. You will not see them on PlayStation past these older deals. Any money they make from selling games on PS is pennies compared to the growth of having it exclusive on their platform.

This is a tired argument that won't be believed until we actually see it happen though and even then I'm sure you'll hold out for years waiting for the 'inevitable port.'
Again. Go back and read. I’m not hoping for anything. This is a response to the argument I referenced in the post above. I made my stance on the situation known on the first page:

I’m kind of hoping they announce making all the zeni games exclusive to x. Just as a person interested in the industry, I’m curious how this will impact the price of live gold. They already doubled it in anticipation of the purchase and I’m curious to see how they’ll attempt subsidize it going forward. The easiest way is to keep the games cross platform with Sony, at least based on consoles sold and the recent samples like the hitman 3 sales discrepancy. And I wonder at what point will the exclusives, when they begin to release, begin to change gamepass and the overall catalog it offers as well as the many $1 deals that have been pretty much open ended for years now. Also, that there are 2 games that will be exclusively on PS5 this year before any of these titles hit any x consoles and can potentially sell well and give an up close example of the sales potential of being on PS ecosystem. Should be interesting.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Personally I couldn't care less, Bethesda's output has zero appeal to me. I'd just be very surprised if MS missed a trick to maximize profits, and the way to do that is day and date on GP with release on other platforms after 6-12 months.

I mean objectively speaking retail sales on PC no longer exist, so they'll be forced to sell it digitally on other storefronts like Steam which are just as competitive and dominant as anyone in console space. So in the end, they simply cannot bogart all the profits without really hurting themselves.

FrankWza

Personally I couldn't care less, Bethesda's output has zero appeal to me. I'd just be very surprised if MS missed a trick to maximize profits, and the way to do that is day and date on GP with release on other platforms after 6-12 months.

I mean objectively speaking retail sales on PC no longer exist, so they'll be forced to sell it digitally on other storefronts like Steam which are just as competitive and dominant as anyone in console space. So in the end, they simply cannot bogart all the profits without really hurting themselves.
They want everyone to be upset over this. There’s barely anything coming out in the near future and the most promising new IPs are coming out in PS5 exclusively anyway(Deathloop and Ghostwire). It’s the aftermath of the console coming in underpowered against the expectations Microsoft set forth. kyliethicc kyliethicc posted something somewhere about them even saying better or first or best when it comes to exclusivity which is pretty interesting. But at this point Microsoft has to come out and say they’re making this purchase exclusive just to give their customer base something. Don’t forget, they just attempted that doubling of gold. Things aren’t great for them public relations-wise right now.

kyliethicc

"First better or best" = also on other platforms = not exclusive = timed exclusives and or exclusive DLC / content

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They want everyone to be upset over this. There’s barely anything coming out in the near future and the most promising new IPs are coming out in PS5 exclusively anyway(Deathloop and Ghostwire). It’s the aftermath of the console coming in underpowered against the expectations Microsoft set forth. kyliethicc kyliethicc posted something somewhere about them even saying better or first or best when it comes to exclusivity which is pretty interesting. But at this point Microsoft has to come out and say they’re making this purchase exclusive just to give their customer base something. Don’t forget, they just attempted that doubling of gold. Things aren’t great for them public relations-wise right now.

Oh totally, I was saying this back when people were saying their evasiveness was due to them being legally bound not to make statements about their plans. Total hogwash, they have been unclear about it because its a great strategy to keep their fanbase stoked about the potential for bragging rights.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Auction house, Horse dlc, mod shop whatever. You know what I mean.

If they can add that kind of services in their game then putting it on many platform as possible after an year its the best option for them
Ah I get your point.

Well, many of Microsofts games already have DLC's packages, from Gears of War to Forza, and still they arent available on other platforms than PC and Xbox.

"First better or best" = also on other platforms = not exclusive = timed exclusives and or exclusive DLC / content
“When we think about Bethesda, it's going to be the continuing to allow -- I'll say allow, but continue to sell their games on the platforms that they exist today, and we'll determine what that looks over time and will change over time”, the CFO said. “I'm not making any announcements about exclusivity or something like that. But that model will change.”

Ten_Fold

Xbox and PC only, maybe add the switch for like older ports or something since Nintendo is kinda in their own world. If you wanna play ES6 gotta pick up a good PC or just buy an Xbox. Why should Microsoft spend billions to not keep it for themselves?

Interfectum

Honestly, it would be utter stupidity by MS to make their games multiplatform... but hey, it's MS after all. After the gold doubling price shit show everything is possible.
Maybe someone at MS hates Phil and is setting him up to fail.

"Hey guys we'd make more money putting these games on PS5 completely eliminating the need to get into the Xbox ecosystem at all! Sounds great right! I think Phil would be on board with this too." :messenger_smirking:

DaGwaphics

@ L LisaMariaMartin things certainly do read differently with the full context. :messenger_ok:

MS has repeatedly stated they have no intention of pulling existing content from other platforms, which I would expect. It's quite a leap to push that onto software that hasn't been released yet, especially when the guy is saying the existing model will change, as a definitive statement. We'll see what everyone is saying once the deal actually closes.

It really makes no difference to me one way or the other, I'm not one of those people that take joy from what someone else can't enjoy, etc. But you'd have to question leadership if moves aren't made to maximize the benefits the acquisition could bring to the Xbox ecosystem. If the games being day and date on GP is the only get they leverage, they left some growth on the table, no question.

Last edited:

Flayer

Bethesda games will still probably be available on Playstation and Nintendo platforms (with timed exclusivity and/or extra DLC items on Xbox/PC). Microsoft is all about services these days. They haven't been about exclusives since the early days of the 360.

ACESHIGH

Banned
MS is doing something right I haven't seen so much speculating from Sony fanboys since when FFXIII was announced on the 360.

As a pc only gamer I hate exclusivities. All games should be available on pc just for preservation alone. Console platform holders can have their stupid wars then... to see which paperweight is the best

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It'll be multiplatform. You can play ES6 and Fallout 5 on Xbox consoles, PC or mobile.

Oh you mean put their games on a direct competitor's platform? Like Stadia, Luna and PS5? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"stadia", "Luna", "competitors platform"

mortal

Gold Member
So long as they properly port their titles to PC, I wouldn't care much tbh.
They would be essentially doing what Sony does with some of their 1st party titles atm.
Would be weird of them to pay that much for these studios and their respective IPs only to not take any advantage of that.

For the time being I'm of the belief that any currently announced titles will also be released on PS5 or Switch, ie: TES VI and Starfield.
Although anything that gets announced post the acquisition is fair game. Less likely to be released on PS5 or Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that a few weeks ago, there was a media release that Microsoft had already made enough profit to cancel out the money they spent on Bethesda.
That was a very weird statement. Because if they really mean what they say, that would be implying they don't need the billions they spent to actually lead anywhere. That they can just give ME a billion dollars and not expect anything back, because they are so rich.

But of course that isn't true. Microsoft expect something back from Bethesda. However the fact that so many people is believing otherwise, really makes me think economic thinking is not as widespread as it should be. If Microsoft keep spending billions without expecting billions to come back to them, very soon they wouldn't have a company anymore.

devilNprada

if for a crazy hypothesis tomorrow mario release on PlayStation they will not play it coz it looks like it doesn't belong to the PlayStation platform?
I am a pretty firm believer games are better on specific platforms...

I.E. Pokemon wouldn't work so well on a console, I also like platformers better on the handheld.
High end graphics games like RDR2 should be played on a big screen and competitive shooters on an upclose PC monitor...

That's how I play though, other people who don't have a Switch might buy Mario for a console.
I just don't think sales would be what people might expect.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I find it interesting that a few weeks ago, there was a media release that Microsoft had already made enough profit to cancel out the money they spent on Bethesda.
That was a very weird statement. Because if they really mean what they say, that would be implying they don't need the billions they spent to actually lead anywhere. That they can just give ME a billion dollars and not expect anything back, because they are so rich.

But of course that isn't true. Microsoft expect something back from Bethesda. However the fact that so many people is believing otherwise, really makes me think economic thinking is not as widespread as it should be. If Microsoft keep spending billions without expecting billions to come back to them, very soon they wouldn't have a company anymore.

I highly doubt the Xbox division is $7.5b in the black on the balance sheets after 20+ years.

Loope

I don't care because i still get to play it on PC anyway, like millions of the other people that don't own Xbox consoles apparently.

Top Bottom