• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft make Bethesda games only on Xbox and PC or continue to support Nintendo and PlayStation by releasing games on those platforms?

Should they share the games with Sony and Nintendo?

• Yes they should share it.

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • No keep it for themselves.

Votes: 305 69.0%

• Total voters
I don't think there's any valid reason for MS to put any of these games on Nintendo or Sony consoles.

Exclusives sell the platform & the Xbox platform is now big enough to cater for the preference of any gamer, on PC, console, mobile, etc...

That's just my opinion though. I can't see the future, so I have no idea what they'll do. MS have owned Mojang for ages now but Minecraft still releases everywhere. Who knows what will happen?

Hopefully we find out soon & all these debates can be put to rest.

turtlepowa

Banned
I don't think there's any valid reason for MS to put any of these games on Nintendo or Sony consoles.

Exclusives sell the platform & the Xbox platform is now big enough to cater for the preference of any gamer, on PC, console, mobile, etc...

That's just my opinion though. I can't see the future, so I have no idea what they'll do. MS have owned Mojang for ages now but Minecraft still releases everywhere. Who knows what will happen?

Microsoft is not interested in selling as much consoles as possible, they just want as much Game Pass subscribers as possible. If they were interested in exclusives and selling platforms they wouldn't port all games to pc and offer xCloud. I'm pretty sure we will see most if not all Bethesda games on PS and Switch, but not day1.

Last edited:
No, they won't release their games on a competitive platforms. Microsoft wants you to subscribe to their service, not lose them to PlayStation or Nintendo.

Every console, Game Pass, Gold etc... Subscriptions Microsoft sells it's more revenue stream Microsoft gains.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm going to say what I said when Windows Phone was a thing and they were thinking about keeping Office Mobile exclusive:

If you want to increase hardware sales, subscribers keep it exclusive. But....at the end of the day, money talks... So I can understand if they dont.

We will see what matters more to them with their decision on this.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I really don't understand why ps fanboys complain so much. You expect to get all games on your favourite DRM box. You don't even have to buy an xbox, a decent pc will do.

why gaming enthusiasts on this site and the other one don't have gaming pcs. .. is like being a petrolhead and owning a camry.

Console=camry
Gaming pc= hemi cuda

Hopefully one day gaming evolves and gets rid of consoles so we don't have these discussions about exclusivities or my walled garden is better than yours.

All that money spent on endless unnecessary remasters like mass effect trilogy wouldn't be a thing without consoles and their "generations" a pc version would be enough.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It would work for them just like it works on steam. Release it first on Gamepass/Xbox, then collect on Steam/PlayStation/Switch.

For Microsoft it’s a win win for their strategy. But they will get a bunch of fanboys crying their hearts out, so who knows.

Ar¢tos

I guess it will depend on Microsoft (main company) patience/faith on Xbox division to recoup the 7.5billion in an acceptable time frame.
MS (again, not Xbox) might see the 100m+ ps4+ps5 install base as a very tempting source of income.

MonarchJT

Banned
Microsoft is not interested in selling as much consoles as possible, they just want as much Game Pass subscribers as possible. If they were interested in exclusives and selling platforms they wouldn't port all games to pc and offer xCloud. I'm pretty sure we will see most if not all Bethesda games on PS and Switch, but not day1.
in fact you will see the games just if PlayStation let Gamepass go on it. if not they will receive just the gaas games
As spencer said "games will be on the xbox platform ..windows,consoles,xcloud. They don't need to release games on any other platform. Whatever it mean"

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Gamepass will only ever become a service that can be available on PlayStation/Nintendo when and if MS ever turns it into a service that can survive on the back of MS published/exclusive games.

People who think a service with the majority of content being third party will be available on those platforms are quite honestly, dumb as fuck. Like seriously, stop playing shooters and go read about how the world works, my god.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Gamepass will only ever become a service that can be available on PlayStation/Nintendo when and if MS ever turns it into a service that can survive on the back of MS published/exclusive games.

People who think a service with the majority of content being third party will be available on those platforms are quite honestly, dumb as fuck. Like seriously, stop playing shooters and go read about how the world works, my god.
in fact it's only a jokes that sony would accept gamepass on their console. But for the same reasons it is equally stupid to think that ms would spend even more money developing ports of theirs future first party games that would take additional time for First Party Studios ... simply to expand the competitor's title portfolio. And no please don't tell me about the "money left on the table" because between the two Sony certainly has less (extremely inferior) possibility of economic maneuver .. and we do not even see its games on PC.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
in fact it's only a jokes that sony would accept gamepass on their console. But for the same reasons it is equally stupid that ms is spending even more money developing ports than theirs games that would take additional time for First Party Studios ... simply to expand the competitor's portfolio of titles. And no please don't tell me about the "money left on the table" because between the two Sony certainly has less possibility of economic maneuver .. and we do not even see its games on PC.

Jokes on you really.

If Gamepass is a compelling product with only MS(exclusives) games on it, then they will be able to launch it on PlayStation just like EA has.

But if you come at it like a fanboy warrior, then to you Sony(maybe Nintendo, but Xbox fanboys don’t bother with Nintendo) is the enemy and therefore this is treason. All that “logic” around business sense is worthless really, it’s all smoke.

MonarchJT

Banned
Jokes on you really.

If Gamepass is a compelling product with only MS(exclusives) games on it, then they will be able to launch it on PlayStation just like EA has.

But if you come at it like a fanboy warrior, then to you Sony(maybe Nintendo, but Xbox fanboys don’t bother with Nintendo) is the enemy and therefore this is treason. All that “logic” around business sense is worthless really, it’s all smoke.
I'm 100% sure that if Sony would allow Ms would releasee already today gamepass on PlayStation. But honestly the truth is that Sony would instantly lose more of half of their earnings.
The reason why Gamepass is not on the Sony console is because Sony knows that the service would pay off and so will not allow it...they will try later to make their own version of it.
Phil Spencer in person said t in a interview that they are open to a conversation with nintendo and PlayStation about it. lol

Last edited:
MIcrosoft doesn't see it's future in an plastic box. It's about software sales volumes and subscriptions from here on in.

If gamepass fails, they'll be totally 3rd party. Print, and bury.
Sorry to crush a dream but all the games will game PC and Xbox only. Gamepass is hardly going to fail its growing all the time and watch MS buy more studios to add to XBox profile.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jokes on you really.

Yes that whole 7 dollars a month after Sonys cut will totally pay for 23 studios. Jesus people it hardly makes anything on no cut platforms with ultimate which is a no go on Sony platform. Yea put gamepass on playstation sell less Xboxes and Sony makes more money great strategy.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I love how MS capitalizing on the 100M ps userbase makes sense but Sony capitalizing on the 60M xboxes + hundreds of millions of pc gamers doesn't.

But it's a trait with Sony fanboys. They really believe all games are Sony exclusives or are better suited for playstation. This goes back to the ps1 days where multoplat franchises like tomb raider, final fantasy ,metal gear and resident evil were seen as playstation only games. Despite having Saturn or PC versions available.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes that whole 7 dollars a month after Sonys cut will totally pay for 23 studios. Jesus people it hardly makes anything on no cut platforms with ultimate which is a no go on Sony platform. Yea put gamepass on playstation sell less Xboxes and Sony makes more money great strategy.
firstly who know if it will be 7 dollars you making up numbers . second : it's not that hard to understand that if you add PlayStation users to the existing PC, xcloud and Xbox platforms and gamepass continues to grow as it is doing now, you will probably have such a large number of users that even less than $ 7 monthly would be enough to pay those 23 studios (are more than that). Lowballing with 50 millions users (right now gamepass should be around 20 practically only with PC and Xbox One users, as the x and s series have sold very few consoles to date) would mean ...350 millions monthly...4.2 billions at year. For some calculation, The medium cost was just 7 millions..and the latest God of War 500 million in a generation we will see (at the most of our luck) two God of War quality wise titles from the same developer. Do you understand what we are talking about?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
A console is a plastic box?!? Did you mean the future of gaming?!?
What we call console today is clearly a plastic box tomorrow playstation like Xbox or anything else will be a service. There are no other roads available.
At least if you want to remain competitive in this sector.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
the plastic box is not the future of any console. period.
For at least the next decade it is and gamepass sales are dependent on Xbox sales. So the whole Microsoft doesn't care about sales is pure trolling. Go to any rual area in America and the internet is fucked up. People can talk low orbit satellite or 5g but they won't either be cost effective of coverage issues.

MonarchJT

Banned
For at least the next decade it is and gamepass sales are dependent on Xbox sales. So the whole Microsoft doesn't care about sales is pure trolling. Go to any rual area in America and the internet is fucked up. People can talk low orbit satellite or 5g but they won't either be cost effective of coverage issues.
lol Obviously for the future I did not mean 'looking just beyond our nose. We will see the xsx2 and the ps6 physically, those will probably be the last consoles as we know them but in the meantime the streaming services will already be well present in the market. The technology-related streaming services that there will be in the next 10/15 years will make the design cost,production (with related problems) failure, customer service of the "plastic box" so counterproductive to a "streaming" version of it that I don't think any of the producers will miss the opportunity to retire physical consoles.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
firstly who know if it will be 7 dollars you making up numbers . second : it's not that hard to understand that if you add PlayStation users to the existing PC, xcloud and Xbox platforms and gamepass continues to grow as it is doing now, you will probably have such a large number of users that even less than $ 7 monthly would be enough to pay those 23 studios (are more than that). Lowballing with 50 millions users (right now gamepass should be around 20 practically only with PC and Xbox One users, as the x and s series have sold very few consoles to date) would mean ...350 millions monthly...4.2 billions at year. For some calculation, The medium cost was just 7 millions..and the latest God of War 500 million in a generation we will see (at the most of our luck) two God of War quality wise titles from the same developer. Do you understand what we are talking about?
You will be replacing 10 and 15 dollar a month subs with 7 dollar a month subs. No point in owning a Xbox when you can play everything on the playstation. No cut from game sales or dlc. That 7 dollars is what is left of10 dollars after Sony takes 30%. That assumes sony doesn't just kill gamepass after Xbox hardware goes under or changes the cut to subscription services to 50% to get rid of it and they can once they have a monopoly.

MonarchJT

Banned
You will be replacing 10 and 15 dollar a month subs with 7 dollar a month subs. No point in owning a Xbox when you can play everything on the playstation. No cut from game sales or dlc. That 7 dollars is what is left of10 dollars after Sony takes 30%. That assumes sony doesn't just kill gamepass after Xbox hardware goes under or changes the cut to subscription services to 50% to get rid of it and they can once they have a monopoly.
You are highly fantasizing, like in a dream. The Xbox will not stop being produced there are people although it will remain hard to believe that they prefer the Xbox platform to the PS one. So much so that in its worst generation from all points of view they have sold around 50 million units ... not 1000, but around 50 million.
That number you're pulling out of the hat 30% it is more or less (not everywhere) the standard of the cut that the owner of the store where you buy the game takes. I don't think Gamepass would use the PlayStation store nor the Sony servers (who Sony seem to rent from Microsoft after their last deal) and I don't think Microsoft would be willing to concede the full standard 30%.
There would be many other points to explain but it seems that this is the basic concept.

If gamepass ends up on Sony consoles it can only be bad for them (sony)

Last edited:
Of course not. The goal is to bring more people to your own ecosystem rather and you do that by having the exclusive content. I do suspect that cloud gamepass will come to Nintendo in the future.

But it all depends on MS' stakeholders.

Last edited:

RGB'D

Jokes on you really.

If you approach it as a non-fanboy, it still makes little sense to buy a publisher with the hopes of bolstering your subscription service, and then turn around and release it on a rival platform. If it was a gamepass exclusive on other consoles I could sort of see it, so the only way to play would be gamepass subscription on rival consoles. But objectively thinking about it, why would they buy Zenimax only to run zenimax properties as business as usual? It makes little sense and gives little benefit to Xbox as a brand. And why are sony and Nintendo going to allow gamepass anyways and give up their cut of the software sales? Especially since SONY needs the software sales to help make up for subsidizing the cost of PS5 (every console is sold at a loss currently). In the same context, it's not like SONY would be running to Microsoft to offer PS Now subscriptions...

Gatox

Banned
As long as they are not game breaking, I for one actually love the bugs in Bethesda games.
Ha ha me too. I love the daft stuff that happens, I know some people say it ruins the immersion etc but I actually used to look forward to seeing just how stupid they would be. Now the ones that crashed the game, buggered up save files etc they can get gone obviously.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

1. The valid reason is money.
2. The purchases in Zenimax just double down on existing strengths in WRPG's and FPS. Its not going to broaden their appeal.
3. MS primary focus is selling software services, not hardware. Day #1 Exclusivity on GP serves this goal.
4. Pushing full exclusivity forces the competition to reciprocate, especially when they enjoy greater marketshare.
5. MS cannot "own" gaming, the competition is too established and well funded, so trying to kill them off by starving them of content is a fool's errand.
6. Divesting Zenimax of all multi-platform support is improbable in the short term as it would require massive reorganization and accompanying disruption.

JCK75

I don't care much for exclusivity, I mean it does still make business sense to release the games in as many places as possible as the money still comes back to them.
It depends on the franchise I suppose
since Sony Owners have been able to play the last few Fallout/ES games those should come to all platforms, but I understand if new franchises do not.

I feel the same way about Spider-Man, it should never have been exclusive since previous games are on all platforms.

Gatox

Banned
Is there any way of seeing overall sales for a game like Skyrim, broken down per platform?
Best I could find is this on a few sites for early sales, which gives some insight but not really a full look at it:

After 2 days 3.4m sales total.
59% Xbox 2m
27% PS3 0.9m
14% PC 0.475m

I then found after 1 month sales were 10m Approximately, so extrapolating the same percentages as above gives us:-
After 1 month 10 million
59% Xbox 5.9m
27% PS3 2.7m
14% PC 1.4m

Now obviously this is very rough, but if those figures are true for Skyrim then the major platform was Xbox, then PS then PC. Again I know this is rough but if ES6 came out on MS only platforms then that would be basically 73% of the sales if historical evidence is anything to go by. Of the 27% that "Could" be on on PS5 then 30% of that revenue is immediately lost. So keeping t of the PS5 wouldn't have that much of an impact really.

Now I got these figures from a few sites and don't hold any faith in them being accurate at all, and I think they might actually be digital only, before anyone loses their shit over it. But the only way we can assume anything for the impact on making them MS exclusive is if we can see the sales numbers per platform, surely?

Last edited:

Calverz

I believe all games should be accessible regardless of hardware choices so i think they should share.
However, i totally understand why they would choose not to and wouldnt hold it against them.

iHaunter

They can keep it. I don't want Bethesda's shitty unfinished games. The only game I play is ESO and it's still mediocre.

driqe

1. The valid reason is money.
2. The purchases in Zenimax just double down on existing strengths in WRPG's and FPS. Its not going to broaden their appeal.
3. MS primary focus is selling software services, not hardware. Day #1 Exclusivity on GP serves this goal.
4. Pushing full exclusivity forces the competition to reciprocate, especially when they enjoy greater marketshare.
5. MS cannot "own" gaming, the competition is too established and well funded, so trying to kill them off by starving them of content is a fool's errand.
6. Divesting Zenimax of all multi-platform support is improbable in the short term as it would require massive reorganization and accompanying disruption.
1. All MS games going to PlayStation because money lol.
2. I agree. No one can top the WRPGs and FPS exclusive games Microsoft will offer.
3. Most Gamepass users are on console, and a big point of gamepass is to download your games sooo?
4. Microsoft doesn't push full exclusivity, only Sony and Nintendo do that.
5. True
6. lol. just lol.

PS4 Switch owner here.

THE INDUSTRY IS FOUNDED ON EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE.
The only company that trying to change this is Microsoft. They bought a juggernaut studio. Keep em.

There is no "sharing" in gaming only 3rd party or 1st party. Bethesda is now 1st party.

They wouldn't be supporting other consoles, they would be supporting themselves.

Once Microsoft acquired Bethesda they lost every dollar that Bethesda made from XBOX & PC users who already have gamepass.

Now add to that the other console markets and they are likely to loose well over $50% of the revenue that they were bringing in as an independent company. That means as a company that was evaluated at 7.5B, that asset would be valued at less then half that.

I can see some exclusive new IP's, timed exclusives or bonus content happening but I don't see anything changing as far as support for the other consoles on the existing popular IP's.

KingT731

LOL You said "Nintendo and Msoft could have developed a MLB game anytime they wanted." Which is blatantly false.
This is actually true. There are and have have been and are other MLB games games currently like RBI Baseball which (plainly speaking) sucked. The Show goes back to 1997 when it was just called 'MLB 98'

Last edited:
We won’t see Hellblade 2 or the next Obsidian game on PlayStation. I’m not expecting to see Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield on PlayStation. I do expect that currently supported games continue their support though, ESO and FO76.

Braag

The Xbox ecosystem isn't as closed off as Playstation is. Through XCloud you can play Xbox games on almost any device. So even if Bethesda games are exclusive, you don't need to buy a 499€ console to play them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
1. All MS games going to PlayStation because money lol.
2. I agree. No one can top the WRPGs and FPS exclusive games Microsoft will offer.
3. Most Gamepass users are on console, and a big point of gamepass is to download your games sooo?
4. Microsoft doesn't push full exclusivity, only Sony and Nintendo do that.
5. True
6. lol. just lol.
1. Obviously not, especially if they have a track record of exclusivity on Xbox. However expecting everyone who formerly played Zenimax games on other platforms to switch allegiances they've had for many years overnight is just not happening. They will lose money and build resentment, both things weaken and diminish the brand.
2. Until someone comes along with something better and hotter, or a bad franchise entry derails a brand.
3. As MS' CFO said, first, or best on Xbox is all they need. GamePass value proposition should really help. And selling those subs is their main focus,
4. What were we talking about then? I thought this was about the prospect of Zenimax becoming exclusive under MS? Sony have mainly opted to pay for timed exclusive-deals and I cannot think of a single instance where they've acquired a franchise that was once synonymous with Xbox in the way Xbox tried and failed to co-opt Tomb Raider.

6. Why LOL? They just bought a publisher, when they are already a publisher and platform holder themselves. And not just any publisher, a big multi-platform one with existing exclusivity deals, indicating a high level relationship with both devs and platform-holders outside of Xbox. Do you think these positions will be absorbed or jettisoned if they were to go Xbox only? What about the internal teams working on Playstation and NIntendo builds? Just fire them without working out if they are better than people in equivalent roles on the Xbox side? What about future support for products already on sale on other platforms? Kill them too?

Its a huge amount of disruption transitioning such a large corporation's operational model, taking months maybe years to complete. And over that time staff who might feel their roles are on the chopping block down the road may choose to jump-ship before they get pushed impacting production.

Interfectum

Porting to Switch and Playstation 5 does not get them Game Pass subscribers, it actually hurts them in the long run for getting said subs.

Not sure what fantasyland PS fanboys still live in but don't expect many Xbox games to come out for PS5 after all the exclusivity and contact deals are done and dusted.

Interfectum

Again? Whatever the execs say. Recent history (and Bethesda/MS own words) suggest Bethesda games will remain multi-platform. We will just gave to wait and see.

MS isn't going to reveal anything about their plans when they don't even officially own Zenimax yet nor have they fulfilled all contacts.

Again, only hopes and dreams to actually think the big hitters would hit the PS platform after a $7.5 billion purchase. MS aren't aiming to be a third party publisher, they are aiming to be the Netflix of gaming.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is actually true. There are and have have been and are other MLB games games currently like RBI Baseball which (plainly speaking) sucked. The Show goes back to 1997 when it was just called 'MLB 98'
I had addressed this already. I had incorrectly assumed that Sony had purchased exclusivity to the MLB license when 2k baseball disappeared. I didn't realize that 2k had just cancelled that do to lack of profits.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was MLB that forced The Show to be multi-plat. So the point still stands that this type of outside influence will not be a problem on the Zeni titles.

DaGwaphics

Comparing acquisitions to internally developed IPs or studios is never going to make sense. Them LEAVING these games multiplat is not the same as making Halo multiplat Or Sony making Uncharted multiplat or Nintendo making Mario multiplat. Zeni studios are hired guns that are going to be, for the most part, making established IPs that made their company able to be valued and purchased for 7.5 million. That’s the bottom line on the dumb question of why it doesn’t apply to Sony or Nintendo. None of these games or IPs are even close to being remotely synonymous with Xbox. When Sony or Nintendo pay for a bunch of studios and a bunch of games we can ask that question. Meanwhile they continue to make games from studios they develop or nurture and maintain great relationships with and then purchase.

Well, we'll see if they are synonymous with Xbox after they only release there for a few years. MS has had a close working relationship with Bethesda (Morrowind was console exclusive and Oblivion was timed/launch exclusive) , so not sure how that factors in. Seems like Spider-Man is a lot more synonymous with PlayStation than it used to be, funny that.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Well, we'll see if they are synonymous with Xbox after they only release there for a few years. MS has had a close working relationship with Bethesda (Morrowind was console exclusive and Oblivion was timed/launch exclusive) , so not sure how that factors in.
When you warp into the future it’s difficult for you to see how something happening now factors in. Today, none of the games, and there are many in this deal, are synonymous with the x brand. I can go out and buy a disc and play all or most of these games on different PlayStations and Nintendo consoles. As I said
Them LEAVING these games multiplat is not the same as making Halo multiplat Or Sony making Uncharted multiplat or Nintendo making Mario multiplat. Zeni studios are hired guns that are going to be, for the most part, making established IPs that made their company able to be valued and purchased for 7.5 million. That’s how it factors in.

Top Bottom