• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft make Bethesda games only on Xbox and PC or continue to support Nintendo and PlayStation by releasing games on those platforms?

Should they share the games with Sony and Nintendo?

• Yes they should share it.

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • No keep it for themselves.

Votes: 305 69.0%

• Total voters

Banjo64

cumsessed
What they should do is keep it to Xbox and PC, which for the large majority of major AAA titles, they will. Unless Nintendo and Sony allow Game Pass on their platforms. Phil Spencer has been upfront, that is what they want.

I’m not saying I agree or it’s right, but they own the company. We wouldn’t even be having this conversation if they had been acquired by Sony.

johntown

Banned
Personally I think they should share. However, Microsoft paid a lot of money for them so I'm not really sure what makes more financial sense. Will they make more money by keeping things exclusive to Xbox and PC? No but I think some games will be exlcusive but I don't think it will be the big titles at first. For bigger titles that are already in development I can see other systems getting the base game but DLC etc. being exclusive.

Once games already in development have been released I could see the successors being exclusive.

Fredrik

They should share but they won’t.
Their games were already everywhere so why pay this much only to keep releasing the games everywhere? To have the Microsoft logo shown everywhere?

Xbox gamers will give you this reply-

Yes, Make it exclusive as MS need exclusives desperately. You don't spend $7 billion to put your AAA games on the competition's platforms.

Ps gamers will give you this reply -

Look at Minecraft, that's on PS. So these games will definitely come to PS, plus MS need PS to recoup that 7b investment and MS doesn't believe in platform exclusives, they only care about money.

PC gamers will give you this reply -

I don't care as long as they are on PC and available on Steam day and date.

Switch gamers-

Huh what are Bethesda games? We only care about Nintendo games.

DaGwaphics

Can you imagine how many Xbox's Elder Scrolls 6 exclusive would ship?, and thats not even including system sellers like Doom and Fallout, then the Wolfensteins and Dishonoreds etc.
I would seriously have to question Microsofts long term gaming strategy if they put these on Playstation (and question their sanity).
The BEST i could see is if they put them on Playstation like 2 years after launch or somehting, as i doubt anyone would wait 2 years if they REALLY wanted to play say Elder Scrolls 6, 1 year maybe but 2+ years i doubt it.

Agreed. This should be a move in the direction of building a strong first-party, something they failed to do at inception. People forget that Sony and Nintendo are popular because of their first-party acumen not because of "duh it's Sony and Nintendo". If they just run Bethesda as an investment, leave things as they are, it does bring some questions to the surface.

But after the botched Gold price change, I wouldn't take anything off the table. :messenger_beaming:

Loxus

Games made by Bethesda may end up being like MLB The Show.
MLB The Show is both publish and develop by Sony and is now available on Xbox platforms.
It would be wise for Microsoft to do the same as it would bring it more revenue to sustain Game Pass.
rDBfJgE.png

Not keeping them exclusive to the ‘Xbox platform’ would be the stupidest business decision in the history of gaming. Never going to happen IMO.

XCloud app on other systems/TVs etc? Can definitely see that happening (at least from Microsoft’s point of view).

FrankWza

I’m kind of hoping they announce making all the zeni games exclusive to x. Just as a person interested in the industry, I’m curious how this will impact the price of live gold. They already doubled it in anticipation of the purchase and I’m curious to see how they’ll attempt subsidize it going forward. The easiest way is to keep the games cross platform with Sony, at least based on consoles sold and the recent samples like the hitman 3 sales discrepancy. And I wonder at what point will the exclusives, when they begin to release, begin to change gamepass and the overall catalog it offers as well as the many $1 deals that have been pretty much open ended for years now. Also, that there are 2 games that will be exclusively on PS5 this year before any of these titles hit any x consoles and can potentially sell well and give an up close example of the sales potential of being on PS ecosystem. Should be interesting.

Also, it seems that you mentioned PC as if millions of common gamers have a PC it's only a small amount of common gamers who even own a capable PC.
And yet...Cyberpunk 2077, as fatally flawed as it is, was the biggest digital launch ever...and just over 50% of its preorders were on PC. TW3 has also sold exceptionally well on PC. This myth that 99% of PC gamers are playing on potatoes incapable of running modern AAA titles is...well...a myth.

Yep, they spent $7.5 billion just to make them day one on game pass, and have no other advantage outside of that. Sure, you can believe they will definitely release all the biggest titles on Playstation 5, even though supporting Playstation and getting those sales will never be a strong enough competitive advantage for the Xbox brand and Microsoft's services after spending $7.5 billion just to acquire them.

In order for that $7.5 billion to have the biggest impact possible for the purchasing company and their relevant businesses, the biggest and most exciting products/games must be exclusive to Xbox and PC. Occasionally release on Nintendo, but Playstation as a platform for specific major games as a simple matter of what's best for Microsoft and Xbox, must be cut off. It's really that simple. We all know Sony would never, EVER, purchase Bethesda only to share with Xbox. This is why Xbox must behave the same way. And this comes with the territory. If Sony purchased Bethesda, I would never be advocating they release games on Xbox, because it makes no strategic sense at all.

Can you imagine how many Xbox's Elder Scrolls 6 exclusive would ship?, and thats not even including system sellers like Doom and Fallout, then the Wolfensteins and Dishonoreds etc.
I would seriously have to question Microsofts long term gaming strategy if they put these on Playstation (and question their sanity).
The BEST i could see is if they put them on Playstation like 2 years after launch or somehting, as i doubt anyone would wait 2 years if they REALLY wanted to play say Elder Scrolls 6, 1 year maybe but 2+ years i doubt it.
Elder Scrolls as a service. Time for more horse armor. Horse Armor HOOVES BAYBAY. I'm gonna pay for my horse's pedicure, gonna pay for my horse to have a happy face emoji, gonna pay for a kawaii cat tail and dat uguu face. Elder Scrolls 6: Land of Pays.

Jokerevo

Banned
I need a reason to own an XsX and the only way to do that is exclusives. If Beth games also come to PC then XsX is DOA to me as PC already outstrips it.

I want to see what happens when 12 flops is optimised by a game exclusively made for XsX, Xss is out.

DaGwaphics

Games made by Bethesda may end up being like MLB The Show.
MLB The Show is both publish and develop by Sony and is now available on Xbox platforms.
It would be wise for Microsoft to do the same as it would bring it more revenue to sustain Game Pass.
rDBfJgE.png

This happened simply as a contractual obligation, nothing more. Sony would have preferred to keep it exclusive and would have if MLB didn't force the multi-platform release during license negotiations. MS will own all the Zeni IP, so whatever they do, there will not be outside influence as with The Show.

Last edited:

skit_data

Yep, they spent $7.5 billion just to make them day one on game pass, and have no other advantage outside of that. Sure, you can believe they will definitely release all the biggest titles on Playstation 5, even though supporting Playstation and getting those sales will never be a strong enough competitive advantage for the Xbox brand and Microsoft's services after spending $7.5 billion just to acquire them.

In order for that $7.5 billion to have the biggest impact possible for the purchasing company and their relevant businesses, the biggest and most exciting products/games must be exclusive to Xbox and PC. Occasionally release on Nintendo, but Playstation as a platform for specific major games as a simple matter of what's best for Microsoft and Xbox, must be cut off. It's really that simple. We all know Sony would never, EVER, purchase Bethesda only to share with Xbox. This is why Xbox must behave the same way. And this comes with the territory. If Sony purchased Bethesda, I would never be advocating they release games on Xbox, because it makes no strategic sense at all.
Never EVER?
ZJ2D5Qq.jpg

Fredrik

Xbox gamers will give you this reply-

Yes, Make it exclusive as MS need exclusives desperately. You don't spend $7 billion to put your AAA games on the competition's platforms.

Ps gamers will give you this reply -

Look at Minecraft, that's on PS. So these games will definitely come to PS, plus MS need PS to recoup that 7b investment and MS doesn't believe in platform exclusives, they only care about money.

PC gamers will give you this reply -

I don't care as long as they are on PC and available on Steam day and date.

Switch gamers-

Huh what are Bethesda games? We only care about Nintendo games.
Harsh but true! 😅

kyliethicc

I want to read what you guys think, do you think Microsoft should take all of Bethesda games and keep them for themselves or share the games to PlayStation and Nintendo?

Because let's be honest, if Sony bought the studio they would take it all without any hesitation. But that's a topic someone else can make another time when we fully know what the extent of both companies deal comes to a finish.

So the question is simple, should they keep the games or share them with the rest of the world (PlayStation and Nintendo), and would it be beneficial for them to do either or?

You don't spend $7 billion to put your AAA games on the competition's platforms.

FrankWza

This happened simply as a contractual obligation, nothing more. Sony would have preferred to keep it exclusive and would have if MLB didn't force the multi-platform release during license negotiations. MS will own all the Zeni IP, so whatever they do, there will not be outside influence as with The Show.
No. They did it to keep 3rd party out of the equation. Nintendo and Msoft could have developed an MLB game anytime they wanted. They were more concerned with keeping ea out of play.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
MS bought Zenimax. They own it. They have every right to keep it for Xbox/PC. Fuck Nintendo + PlayStation.

if people feel like MS need to share them let me know when I’ll be able to play TLOU, God of War, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tshushima on Xbox….nah didn’t think so. I don’t see the Sony fans asking for that to happen. They are like the little selfish kids who want what someone else has but don’t want to share what they have.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"First-or-Best-on-Xbox".

Job done.

Taper off support to other platforms in the longer term if business supports it, but short term why injure yourself with lost earnings and goodwill with full exclusivity?

DaGwaphics

No. They did it to keep 3rd party out of the equation. Nintendo and Msoft could have developed an MLB game anytime they wanted. They were more concerned with keeping ea out of play.
Sony has exclusive rights to the MLB license, this is a fact. MLB was going to move on to EA if Sony didn't agree to make the release mult-plat. Facts. MS and Nintendo could not have made a MLB title since 2010 or 11, somewhere in there. This isn't a choice, same with the NFL.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Sony has exclusive rights to the MLB license, this is a fact. MLB was going to move on to EA if Sony didn't agree to make the release mult-plat. Facts. MS and Nintendo could not have made a MLB title since 2010 or 11, somewhere in there. This isn't a choice, same with the NFL.
How is this different than what I said?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You don't spend $7 billion to put your AAA games on the competition's platforms.
No but you put it on your competitors platforms to recoup some of your seven billion.

And before you say go fuck yourself MS have nine hundred billion trillion in the bank they don’t need any money remember they were trying to charge you an extra £/$60 a year last week for live, so don’t give me that shit.

Last edited:

Loxus

Games made by Bethesda can be also a contractual obligation depending on the out come of the deal.

Wizz-Art

I don't know how many delusional PS warriors are keeping the highly unlikely narrative up. Think about it and use common sense, hard for you guys I know.

If Zenimax wasn't bought by Microsoft would their games release on Xbox and PS consoles? Yes... so why buy the company then?

kyliethicc

“continue to see us shift towards a first or better or best approach on our platforms.”

That’s an interesting statement.
Pay attention to 'Microsoft wants bethesda game first better or best on Xbox'

It doesnt ruled out the posibilities for other platform

aka "also on PS5"

Last edited:

NickFire

The only people who stand to gain or lose are PS only, console only players. I am one and will be remaining that way. If MS wants to sell me copies to play on the device I have, that's great as long as the reviews are good. If they don't want to sell me a copy unless I buy another console or PC, that's fine too. I won't hold a single dollar that I save this generation against MS if they go exclusive. And I won't go a single day complaining that I don't have anything worth playing. No matter how it goes, it will be just fine.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They just attempted to double the price of XBL Gold to drive gamepass subs. They are gonna do everything in their power to get more subs. You’re smoking bath salts it you think this stuff is coming to PlayStation.

Loxus

Because now they take 100% of the revenue from TES/Fallout/Starfield on all platforms?
This is exactly what I was thinking when I first heard of the purchased.
It's all about making more money for these companies.
Only fan boys would say otherwise.

If Microsoft do make all those games exclusive, and on game pass to boot.
It would take them ages to turn around to be in the profit margin.
And it also depends on how much console they sell.

Top Bottom