• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft make Bethesda games only on Xbox and PC or continue to support Nintendo and PlayStation by releasing games on those platforms?

Should they share the games with Sony and Nintendo?

• Yes they should share it.

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • No keep it for themselves.

Votes: 305 69.0%

• Total voters

Derktron

Banned
I want to read what you guys think, do you think Microsoft should take all of Bethesda games and keep them for themselves or share the games to PlayStation and Nintendo?

Because let's be honest, if Sony bought the studio they would take it all without any hesitation. But that's a topic someone else can make another time when we fully know what the extent of both companies deal comes to a finish.

So the question is simple, should they keep the games or share them with the rest of the world (PlayStation and Nintendo), and would it be beneficial for them to do either or?

Kuranghi

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mmnow

They don't need to. It wouldn't serve any real purpose to share them, especially when it's unbelievably easy to play a Microsoft game without owning any Xbox product.

"Should they?" is a pretty conceptual question. Yes, in an ideal world, there wouldn't be any such thing as an exclusive. But, like you say OP, is that 'should' being stretched to the competition? It was never even a question until Microsoft pulled out their cheque book. Meanwhile, that Twitter random is saying Sony are in the process of investing in Square Enix, and few people concerned about Bethesda are asking whether Final Fantasy SHOULD be a timed exclusive, or indeed a full exclusive.

You play the game you play. You can't exist in any industry playing nice if your competition doesn't. Sony need to start acquiring publishers, and Microsoft need to start hoarding their exclusives. The alternative is one or the other gets left behind.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I want to read what you guys think, do you think Microsoft should take all of Bethesda games and keep them for themselves or share the games to PlayStation and Nintendo?

Because let's be honest, if Sony bought the studio they would take it all without any hesitation. But that's a topic someone else can make another time when we fully know what the extent of both companies deal comes to a finish.

So the question is simple, should they keep the games or share them with the rest of the world (PlayStation and Nintendo), and would it be beneficial for them to do either or?

Are you saying Sony is sometimes arogrant? Thats unfounded not well proven up for debate just the xbox fanboy in you talking!

Kuranghi

Well, I'd love to go back to those OG Xbox days, I loved my big black box. Maybe this will see a return to it being a must have for exclusives. Sorry 'scluso-haters

Two ways of thinkings:

If you believe in "eye for an eye" than they should make them all Xbox/PC exclusives, as Sony would absolutely make BGS games PlayStation exclusives if they owned BGS

Other way:

If you believe that a company should just focus on making as much money as possible, then they should continue with BGS games being multi-plat, as they will sell far more on more hardware platforms.

Stuart360

Can you imagine how many Xbox's Elder Scrolls 6 exclusive would ship?, and thats not even including system sellers like Doom and Fallout, then the Wolfensteins and Dishonoreds etc.
I would seriously have to question Microsofts long term gaming strategy if they put these on Playstation (and question their sanity).
The BEST i could see is if they put them on Playstation like 2 years after launch or somehting, as i doubt anyone would wait 2 years if they REALLY wanted to play say Elder Scrolls 6, 1 year maybe but 2+ years i doubt it.

Derktron

Banned
I don't know what Microsoft does, but i know what the die hard Sonyboys will say:

"Lol, Xbox has no games"
or
"All those games suck, didn't want to play them anyways"
That's the biggest worry there only because the mainstream media would take this and use it against Xbox and make it 2013 when the Xbox One came out. I'm on the edge of my seats eagerly waiting for the final deal to pass. I'm no fanboy but I do like Xbox. But I will criticize the hell out of them only because they would actually be stupid enough to spend 7 billion on a major company in the gaming industry and not use it for themselves. I gotta be real.

Derktron

Banned
Can you imagine how many Xbox's Elder Scrolls 6 exclusive would ship?, and thats not even including system sellers like Doom and Fallout, then the Wolfensteins and Dishonoreds etc.
I would seriously have to question Microsofts long term gaming strategy if they put these on Playstation (and question their sanity).
The BEST i could see is if they put them on Playstation like 2 years after launch or somehting, as i doubt anyone would wait 2 years if they REALLY wanted to play say Elder Scrolls 6, 1 year maybe but 2+ years i doubt it.
If they made it exclusive, people would be forced to buy into their ecosystem and that includes PC. It would be the same argument with Nintendo and their games. You have to be forced to play Nintendo games only on their platforms. The same goes with PlayStation to some degree.

Derktron

Banned
I've heard consoles having exclusives is a good thing.

Now people have a reason to buy an Xbox. That's nice.

Or just play on PC.
You're one of those people huh? Yes, exclusive matters when it comes to first-party studios but when it comes to third-party exclusive that's where I personally draw the line. Also, it seems that you mentioned PC as if millions of common gamers have a PC it's only a small amount of common gamers who even own a capable PC.

martino

Imo no need to keep them for themselves
Having them day one on gamepass should do the trick or it would mean the demand is not there.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
No they shouldn't share. If I want Halo, I buy an Xbox, Mario, a Nintendo and God of War, a Playstation.

Why people won't accept that I don't know. They're only showing themselves up as bitter braindead twats arguing to the contrary.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You're one of those people huh? Yes, exclusive matters when it comes to first-party studios but when it comes to third-party exclusive that's where I personally draw the line. Also, it seems that you mentioned PC as if millions of common gamers have a PC it's only a small amount of common gamers who even own a capable PC.
Who makes the decision on where the common line is drawn?
My bet is those who's affected by it yes?
Everyone had a PC back when Microsoft released their games on PC as well. At least GAF had.
Also chill didn't mean to offend anyone. Just casual trolling.
Yes it sucks ass Microsoft did it but now there legit is is a reason to buy an Xbox for those who needed one.

reforen

I consider they should support the already established franchises to other platforms, but the new ones should be exclusive for Xbox/PC

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I stand by what I've said in the 600 other threads we have on this; the big games like TES and Fallout will be timed exclusives in terms of consoles (and day one PC, obviously). Dunno how long, but they get the best of both worlds in bringing the diehards who can't wait over to Xbox, and then profiting from the Playstation userbase later down the road, most of whom will not buy an Xbox just to access one or two popular games. Smaller games like Dishonored will probably be Xbox/PC only to bolster the full exclusive lineup.

I'll be on PC anyway, if I get to play them cheap via Game Pass? Bonza.

Cornbread78

I agree, but people claim that they should continue to support those platforms.

Sony fanboys? Lets be real. They spent over 7 billiin dollars to build up their own platform. Was it shitty buying a pub, yuuuuuup, but the only way you will see the games on a Sony platform again is if MS starts selling Gamepass on Sony consoles that requires a Live login/password during the process...

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't know if Microsoft is legally able to not sell the games on Playstation, specifically with older franchises.

It's one thing to buy a studio and create a new IP that is exclusive to your console. It's a whole other story to buy a studio just to stop a normally recurring IP (e.g. Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc.) from releasing on the competition.
The latter could be considered tying, and Sony would do well to denounce it to antitrust divisions on the E.U., USA, Japan, etc.

I do believe Microsoft will enforce timed exclusives as much as they can, though.

Regardless, selling your game on a platform that is on its way to outsell your console 2:1 or more is bound to bring a lot more revenue anyways.

AppleBlade

I think a lengthy time-exclusive strategy (1 year plus) could be a win-win situation. It would be seen as more pro-consumer than just making it exclusive and at the same time cultivate a fanbase for those games that might switch platformers to get future games in the series without having to pay full price (GamePass).

Iced Arcade

Me personally idgaf if they port games to Samsung fridges, I don't gain anything because little bo and Tommy next door can't play a game on their preferred console.

BUT from a business side, they are going to eventually be XBOX/PC exclusives after current contract deals are up. you don't spend that kind of money to release games on the competition when you are ridiculed for not having many 1st party titles.

Also wouldn't be surprised if gamepass eventually has tiers down the road

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

they could keep releasing them on all platforms but let xbox/pc players have dlc earlier or something like that. still making money from other platforms but the best place to play them will be on xbox.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Id say for the near future you should do timed releases to help bolster Game Pass subs. Eventually once you have hit a certain mark it doesnt really matter. Game Pass is their play.

Hostile_18

Banned
Both tactics are viable but I personally think the vast majority will be on all platforms still.

That's not to say there won't be a big advantage for xbox users, having those games "free" day 1 on Gamepass is HUGE.

As has been stated, we will know soon.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Also, it seems that you mentioned PC as if millions of common gamers have a PC it's only a small amount of common gamers who even own a capable PC.

Steam gets more monthly active users than both PSN and Xbox Live. Sure, the service is free, which helps, but that's just Steam. Doesn't count the people playing Fortnite via Epic, or any Blizzard / COD game, or hell, people who play DRM-free. This myth about PC gaming being "small" is so weird and just flat-out wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom