• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft make Bethesda games only on Xbox and PC or continue to support Nintendo and PlayStation by releasing games on those platforms?

Should they share the games with Sony and Nintendo?

• Yes they should share it.

Votes: 137 31.0%
  • No keep it for themselves.

Votes: 305 69.0%

• Total voters

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I don't know if Microsoft is legally able to not sell the games on Playstation, specifically with older franchises.

It's one thing to buy a studio and create a new IP that is exclusive to your console. It's a whole other story to buy a studio just to stop a normally recurring IP (e.g. Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc.) from releasing on the competition.
The latter could be considered tying, and Sony would do well to denounce it to antitrust divisions on the E.U., USA, Japan, etc.
Sony should sue Microsoft over not following the geneva convention:
The Geneva Conventions are rules that apply only in times of armed conflict and seek to protect people who are not or are no longer taking part in hostilities; these include the sick and wounded of armed forces on the field, wounded, sick, and shipwrecked members of armed forces at sea, prisoners of war, and civilians, and people being left out on games on one console.

Mmnow

This is exactly what I was thinking when I first heard of the purchased.
It's all about making more money for these companies.
Only fan boys would say otherwise.

If Microsoft do make all those games exclusive, and on game pass to boot.
It would take them ages to turn around to be in the profit margin.
And it also depends on how much console they sell.
When you get to purchases of this size by companies as mammoth as Microsoft, it's not about making a direct profit like that. If it takes 50 years to pay off Bethesda, that's not a problem.

With, whatever, $140b in hand, you just want to get that money working for you. That means anything above interest levels is a win.

DaGwaphics

Because keeping that PS share of Zeni's 500m dollar a year revenue (not profit) is much more important than growing your 3 or 4b per quarter video game platform. :messenger_smirking:

Orta

Banned
Xbox gamers will give you this reply-

Yes, Make it exclusive as MS need exclusives desperately. You don't spend $7 billion to put your AAA games on the competition's platforms.

Ps gamers will give you this reply -

Look at Minecraft, that's on PS. So these games will definitely come to PS, plus MS need PS to recoup that 7b investment and MS doesn't believe in platform exclusives, they only care about money.

PC gamers will give you this reply -

I don't care as long as they are on PC and available on Steam day and date.

Switch gamers-

Huh what are Bethesda games? We only care about Nintendo games.

And Stadia owners?

Markio128

I don’t mind one way or the other, however, my only concern is that Bethesda lose that top-tier quality due to time constraints, game pass etc,.

FrankWza

Not possible. Sony had exclusive rights to the MLB license since 2014.
Im pretty sure the deal was Take two stopped making 3rd party MLB games that they had exclusivity on since 2005. That deal was for Them to be the only 3rd party mlb game they paid for to take it away from ea. Since that deal, any first party mlb game could be developed and built in house. Nintendo nd Microsoft didn’t want to pay to do that. Sony has the engine already so this deal was easy for everyone. It’s about MLB being on more platforms because RBI is terrible which MLB themselves publish to have a broader audience

HE1NZ

Banned
Microsoft should probably has some kind of exchange with Nintendo. Ori for Bayonetta 2, Cuphead for Astral Chain, etc.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Let Sony eat dirt.
tenor.gif

The_Mike

Only fanboys denies that these games wont become exclusives.

It's not about gain the profit back from the Bethesda purchase, its a long term investment in havning enough exclusives to make people buy into the Xbox system.
Microsoft earn's plenty on Windows, and professional companies where they sell yearly office solutions for huge amounts of cash.
The price of Bethesda were pocket money from them.

If Microsoft purchased Bethesda to gain more money from them on all platforms, then we would've seen Halo, Gears, Forza on PlayStation as well.
Alas, it's still not to be found on PlayStation.

I still see this meme fits quite well even though its been like six months or so now?
phyd4sh.jpg

johnjohn

People bringing up MLB lmao. MS owns Zenimax and all of its IP, they'll be exclusive to Xbox. Why give up long term profits from the massive boost in users these games will bring to the Xbox ecosystem by putting their games on competing platforms? All these acquisitions are a long term play. You're clueless if you think MS is worried about recouping their investment in the short term.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don’t mind one way or the other, however, my only concern is that Bethesda lose that top-tier quality due to time constraints, game pass etc,.
Did you just put ”top tier quality” and ”Bethesda” in the same sentence?

I might agree on iD software being quality but Bethesda?

If their intent is to sell software, then the more platforms the better. If they want to sell hardware, then limiting it to their platform would be best.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sony fanboys are the most entitled in all gaming. As a PC only player I am against exclusivities of any kind but Sony has been holding up exclusives for ages, even third party ones. So it's only fair that MS ends up doing the same.

At least with them you can play the games on pc or cloud, with Sony you have no choice but to buy their paperweight or subscribe to a subpar service that's available in like 5 countries out of 200.

FrankWza

Why give up long term profits from the massive boost in users these games will bring to the Xbox ecosystem by putting their games on competing platforms?
Because they wouldn’t be. They would be KEEPING the games on competing platforms and getting a massive sales boost anyway.

Derktron

Banned
People bringing up MLB lmao. MS owns Zenimax and all of its IP, they'll be exclusive to Xbox. Why give up long term profits from the massive boost in users these games will bring to the Xbox ecosystem by putting their games on competing platforms? All these acquisitions are a long term play. You're clueless if you MS is worried about recouping their investment in the short term.
Yeah, I don't get the argument of MLB The Show when they don't own the franchise at all, it's a sports game that they are lucky enough to license still. I can understand that if a game that they own and made comes out other than PlayStation and PC then we can argue that.

DaGwaphics

Because they wouldn’t be. They would be KEEPING the games on competing platforms and getting a massive sales boost anyway.

????? If they sold even 10 or 15 million more Xbox units than they would have without the Bethesda purchase, they will net far more than what could be gained from sales on PS. LOL

There is far more earning potential in the platform than the software. Zeni 500m a year, MS gaming division 10b+ per year.

Last edited:
Where is the option for "Don't Care"? Bethesda games are falling in quality fast. I loved Doom 2016 but can't even be arsed with buying Doom Eternal for 20 bucks on sale.

skit_data

Yeah, I don't get the argument of MLB The Show when they don't own the franchise at all, it's a sports game that they are lucky enough to license still. I can understand that if a game that they own and made comes out other than PlayStation and PC then we can argue that.
Not to dig up an old carcass of a game but...
EmBNL0x.jpg

They would help Sony sell Playstation consoles. Or are you going to argue that TES or a new Fallout won't move consoles regardless of exclusivity? Would you argue that having TES as an exclusive would have been a massive move a year ago?

Honestly, the people who argue that MS would be coming out on top by giving away system sellers are Sony stans. I haven't seen a single argument that backs up the statement "they would leave money on the table". If this were the case, why is Sony keeping all their 10/10 exclusives to themselves? They could sell another 10 million on other platforms. Why is MS not releasing Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable or any of the other announced games on PS? Why are they still making timed exclusive deals with third party devs?

The_Mike

Where is the option for "Don't Care"? Bethesda games are falling in quality fast. I loved Doom 2016 but can't even be arsed with buying Doom Eternal for 20 bucks on sale.
897.gif

Remember when many people said this after the acquisition?

if you don't care, then why do you post in here? Sounds like you do care.

Besides Fallout 76, which Bethesda didn't just leave to die and have actually improved over time, which Bethesda games has fallen in quality lately? And fast?

Last edited:

Diddy X

We are here to win a war not to play videog...wait

Anyway release on the switch only the necessary, the playstation already has enough good games, if MS wants to compete they can't make PS more valuable.

FrankWza

????? If they sold even 10 or 15 million more Xbox units than they would have without the Bethesda purchase, they will net far more than what could be gained from sales on PS. LOL

There is far more earning potential in the platform than the software. Zeni 500m a year, MS gaming division 10b+ per year.
That’s an if but yeah, I was just commenting on the poster and the difference between making first party games multiplat and keeping an acquisitions portfolio multiplat. My view is make exclusive because I’m interested in the ramifications I mentioned in this post.

I’m kind of hoping they announce making all the zeni games exclusive to x. Just as a person interested in the industry, I’m curious how this will impact the price of live gold. They already doubled it in anticipation of the purchase and I’m curious to see how they’ll attempt subsidize it going forward. The easiest way is to keep the games cross platform with Sony, at least based on consoles sold and the recent samples like the hitman 3 sales discrepancy. And I wonder at what point will the exclusives, when they begin to release, begin to change gamepass and the overall catalog it offers as well as the many $1 deals that have been pretty much open ended for years now. Also, that there are 2 games that will be exclusively on PS5 this year before any of these titles hit any x consoles and can potentially sell well and give an up close example of the sales potential of being on PS ecosystem. Should be interesting.

FrankWza

They would help Sony sell Playstation consoles. Or are you going to argue that TES or a new Fallout won't move consoles regardless of exclusivity? Would you argue that having TES as an exclusive would have been a massive move a year ago?

Honestly, the people who argue that MS would be coming out on top by giving away system sellers are Sony stans. I haven't seen a single argument that backs up the statement "they would leave money on the table". If this were the case, why is Sony keeping all their 10/10 exclusives to themselves? They could sell another 10 million on other platforms. Why is MS not releasing Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable or any of the other announced games on PS? Why are they still making timed exclusive deals with third party devs?
Again, this is speculation. There is a big difference between MAKING first party games multiplat and KEEPING the portfolio you’ve acquired multiplat. Right?

Gatox

Banned
I don't see how anyone thinks these won't be xbox exclusive, the whole of xbox's efforts lately have been about getting people into the ecosystem. Whether that's on xbox consoles, PC or mobile devices its about the ongoing income from gamepass, this is their play. So why on earth would they spend a shit ton of money and allow games elsewhere, going completely against all they are doing to bring people into the subscription model, it just makes zero sense.

NickFire

If you look at historical console market share since OG Xbox, they 100% will be leaving money on the table if the split stays comparable. The question is do they gain more than they leave on the table by going exclusive, and if not do they care if this is all part of a two (or more) console cycle plan.

Markio128

Did you just put ”top tier quality” and ”Bethesda” in the same sentence?

I might agree on iD software being quality but Bethesda?
I understand that Bethesda games can be buggy, and to be honest, I only see that particular issue getting worse, however, there is no disputing that TES games are thoroughly enjoyable and generally review very well. I’m just concerned that the motivation to provide such immense content will be lost if they become game pass only games. Don’t get me wrong, if the next Elder Scrolls game is as good or better than Skyrim, I’ll be happy to eat my words and jump on the game pass bandwagon

897.gif

Remember when many people said this after the acquisition?

if you don't care, then why do you post in here? Sounds like you do care.

It doesn't matter to me if they offer them for sale on PS5 or not. I had exactly zero desire to purchase Doom Eternal, Fallout '76, Dishonored Death of the Outsider, Rage 2, friggin Wolfenstein 2/Youngblood, Elder Scrolls Online/Skyrim Remastered. Bunch of mediocre games that fall in price less than 6 months of being released. If Bethesda happens to release a game I might actually like I will just buy it retail on my PC instead of renting it for the entire life of my Xbox console.

Last edited:

RGB'D

I don't know if Microsoft is legally able to not sell the games on Playstation, specifically with older franchises.

It's one thing to buy a studio and create a new IP that is exclusive to your console. It's a whole other story to buy a studio just to stop a normally recurring IP (e.g. Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc.) from releasing on the competition.
The latter could be considered tying, and Sony would do well to denounce it to antitrust divisions on the E.U., USA, Japan, etc.

I do believe Microsoft will enforce timed exclusives as much as they can, though.

Regardless, selling your game on a platform that is on its way to outsell your console 2:1 or more is bound to bring a lot more revenue anyways.
So how does this logic work with Insomniac? Every other Spiderman game was multiplat until their releases... while SONY does still currently maintain the rights, they don't own the IP. Yet the most recent games are SONY exclusive with no plans for other consoles. I think that there is no legal ramifications and it will be Microsoft's choice, just as Spiderman was for SONY.

Last edited:

Forsythia

They make way more money by getting more players in the ecosystem. By making Bethesda games exclusive they get more people in the ecosystem.

Only fanboys denies that these games wont become exclusives.

It's not about gain the profit back from the Bethesda purchase, its a long term investment in havning enough exclusives to make people buy into the Xbox system.
Microsoft earn's plenty on Windows, and professional companies where they sell yearly office solutions for huge amounts of cash.
The price of Bethesda were pocket money from them.

If Microsoft purchased Bethesda to gain more money from them on all platforms, then we would've seen Halo, Gears, Forza on PlayStation as well.
Alas, it's still not to be found on PlayStation.

I still see this meme fits quite well even though its been like six months or so now?
phyd4sh.jpg
You're forgetting the bit where:
1) Microsoft has owned Minecraft for years yet it is still available on PlayStation
2) Microsoft has repeatedly affirmed that they'd rather have people in the Xbox ecosystem (buying the games, gamepass etc) and aren't that fussed about the console sales themselves

skit_data

I understand that Bethesda games can be buggy, and to be honest, I only see that particular issue getting worse, however, there is no disputing that TES games are thoroughly enjoyable and generally review very well. I’m just concerned that the motivation to provide such immense content will be lost if they become game pass only games. Don’t get me wrong, if the next Elder Scrolls game is as good or better than Skyrim, I’ll be happy to eat my words and jump on the game pass bandwagon
Personally -and this is not a joke- I havent been able to actually finish several of their games due to save file corruption/gamebreaking bugs. I really like the premise and aesthetic of the Fallout franchise so there are some aspects of quality, sure, but I do not attribute them to Bethesda as a developer.

I get your worries though, but as far as Ive read it seems like they will operate somewhat independantly compared to XGS, so hopefully they keep the qualities that they actually do posess intact.

Jokerevo

Banned
The other factor is the push to make gamepass become the Netflix of games but to achieve this gamepass needs to release on all platforms and I think this is the ultimate plan and why the acquisition will ultimately pay off...

Top Bottom