• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I move to New England?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I currently live in SoCal but feel lime I need a change of pace.

My job is remote so I can pretty much live wherever I want, but even if I didn't work there I'd be able to find work pretty quickly since I work in a global field.

I was thinking Massachusetts, but New Hampshire or RI are both viable options. I've been to the region twice and loved ot both times, although both times were in the fall which is the peak time to go.

My parents are there right now visiting and it's resparking my love of the area

Mistake

Depends on what you want out of life I suppose. Mid to north NH is all woods, while southern NH is a lot more suburban, but if you want city living with the countryside as an option, go for Massachusetts

Last edited:

Dark Star

Massachusetts is amazing in the fall. I would love it live in a town like Salem. It's just a great area, natural beauty with mountains, good schools/colleges, good healthcare. Not sure about public transport or even jobs or housing, but you might get more savings out of your money there compared to Cali too.

I've always liked Vermont, seems peaceful. Pennsylvania and New Jersey have some great culture too. Maine if you're a stephen king fan lol.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Well in NH you gain easy access to fun spot , one of the largest arcades on earth,
And its close to hike mount Washington, which is even more baller than it is dangerous (note:do not hike mount Washington if you don't know what you're doing, its seriously dangerous if you're careless or unprepared)

I live in NH and I’d say it’s not a bad place to live, so long as you don’t mind the weather changing.

There’s no sales tax (except on food), which is one thing I take for granted until I travel to one of the other states around me. Property taxes can get a bit high in certain spots like touristy places I believe.

Also you need to get your car inspected every year (not sure how it is in Cali, not looking it up lol), which is a bit annoying.

My wife always complains about the snow (having not grown up with it), but we’re planning on having a kid soon, so I rather save money than move somewhere else, plus most of my family is here. Plus I just generally prefer living in more country-side like areas. The mountains are beautiful and I can go next door to Vermont or Maine and see a whole other landscape of them as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As people have said, the biggest change is probably winter. I dont live there but Toronto probably has similar weather. You got a lot more outdoors chores with fall and winter, even basic shit like shutting off and draining outdoor garden hose pipes so they dont freeze. And for cars, you either go the all-season tires route, or you do the summer tires + winter tires switcheroo.

I dont know what NE is like in terms of attitudes to Toronto. All I know is here in TO, you dont get a lot of crime, people are more go go go caring about work and paying off expensive homes, and you dont get a lot politics here. You get people voting red or blue (sides are flipped here on the colour scheme), but end of the day nobody really gives a shit who wins as people are more focused on their own lives than treating politicians like celebs bickering about them. I'm going to assume shit like this is different than Cali which is a state that just seems really loud with crime and homeless people out in the open.

The northeast part of US and that part of Canada might be similar in terms of chill maritimes settings. So if you like shit like fishing, modest older homes, the only places I know which still have old school Celtic vibes. First time I went to Halifax for work, we went to a small strip that has bars. Walk in and instead of a band with electric guitars and amplifiers, you had people rocking to violins. I dont know if NE is like that, but Halifax was.

In terms of work, I'll assume Canada maritimes and that part of the US is similar..... chill setting. I find coworkers working west coast Vancouver and east coast Canada very chill in terms of every day life. Toronto is by far the most hectic. Even Montreal folks dont seem to be grilled and pressured in corporate settings. I'll assume NE has a chill vibe, but I'm only guessing.

Last edited:
And have to deal with those obnoxious Patriot fans?

56c78e885ed05928a43b6397c59a55e9

Screw that shit!

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Well being from Cali where it's warm all year round, what you want to do is go up in the winter and stay there long enough to see if you can handle it. I got friends in Avalon. I go down there and it's fine for a couple of days, but once the novelty wears off that 80 degrees all the time is too much. You might feel the same way about the cold.

casnix

I live in the White Mountains part of NH. It’s a nice change from the East Valley of AZ. Been here about 12 years now. Highly recommended.

Amory

I’ve lived in MA the last 11 years and while it’s become home, I think I’d choose NH, Maine, or possibly Rhode Island if moving here for the first time.

MA has become ridiculously expensive for what it is and with it being such a blue state you don’t get a lot of choices in how things are run

I’ve lived in MA the last 11 years and while it’s become home, I think I’d choose NH, Maine, or possibly Rhode Island if moving here for the first time.

MA has become ridiculously expensive for what it is and with it being such a blue state you don’t get a lot of choices in how things are run
This is it exactly. I’ve been in MA for close to 2 years and kinda wish I had just got a house in NH.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Depends. Do you like history?

What about crazy dudes building machines that they say will turn into god?

Or what about assholes building giant phallic grave markers to spite their family members who outlive them?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Live in a swamp or the dust bowl. How appealing.

There's more to life than income tax.
What makes you think one is a dust bowl?

FL has a lot of great things to offer and parks and lakes, rivers, natural springs, and beaches. It is hot though and I hate that. TN has mountains, bears, hiking trails, woods and many great things to do. Dust bowl is someplace like Nebraska or Kansas, but I wouldn't call it that.

kondorBonk

Been all around and landed in MA. I have no intention of leaving unless it was Maine. The four seasons are beautiful, streets/parks are clean, high paying jobs, fantastic beer culture, Beach/Skiing locations are couple hours drive, historic buildings/sites/culture, museums, legendary sports, top education, etc.

Lunarorbit

Just know that the seasons are wacky here in the NE. I live in Massachusetts and it's been in the 60s/70s this fall. While that's nice it's fucking weird too. Spring is an extended winter until April/may with wet weather the last few years.

It's expensive but cheaper than CT. NH and VT can be nice too but it can be a different pace.

Yes. I have lived in the southeast, new england, and bay area CA. New England is easily the best of the three, and it’s not even close.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Remote you say ? Fuck New England. Move to the original old England.

You won’t regret anything.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I currently live in SoCal but feel lime I need a change of pace.

My job is remote so I can pretty much live wherever I want, but even if I didn't work there I'd be able to find work pretty quickly since I work in a global field.

I was thinking Massachusetts, but New Hampshire or RI are both viable options. I've been to the region twice and loved ot both times, although both times were in the fall which is the peak time to go.

My parents are there right now visiting and it's resparking my love of the area
If you want to think about suicide every time you are in traffic, move to Boston.

Tams

What makes you think one is a dust bowl?

FL has a lot of great things to offer and parks and lakes, rivers, natural springs, and beaches. It is hot though and I hate that. TN has mountains, bears, hiking trails, woods and many great things to do. Dust bowl is someplace like Nebraska or Kansas, but I wouldn't call it that.
It. Was. A. Joke.

wondermega

Grew up in the suburbs in MA, went to school in western MA, lived in Boston and worked in Cambridge until I moved to socal on a whim in my mid-twenties. I expected to give it maybe a year at the outset, and now it's been decades. I still return home for a few days each spring to see the family & old homies, but overall, I wouldn't really mind if I never visited there again otherwise, at this point.

Being a kid and growing up there was cool, of course (like anywhere) when it is all that you ever know, one doesn't really have an opinion of it. Even so, the weather just really started to irritate me after college. Walking up from the subway stairwell in the bone-chilling cold as freezing gusts of air slam against your face. Getting up early in the darkness of a winter morning to warm up your engine for several minutes and digging your car out of the snow. Driving to work or home in zero visibility on the highway while being pelted by elements either from the sky or some huge truck in front of you.

As a young man it was a pain in the ass. As an older man I don't really want to even think about that being my daily grind, haha.

Things I miss? Yeah the culture was nice. Compared to socal, there were lots of things that were old and "from a different history/world" which made the world feel somehow more real, I guess. The change of seasons was nice, as opposed to just being.. summer all the time. But you know what, summer all the damn time IS NOT BAD. There has been so much in socal to occupy me, between a burgeoning industry to work in, tons of great food, tons of cool people, lots of wonderful nightlife, accessibility to so many things. Yes it is true I get tired of it here sometimes (especially in the last few years w covid, and personally moving from Hollywood to the suburbs myself) but overall I am super happy to be done with New England. Proud to be from there, happy to no longer be living there.

Now that's me and my life though. I don't mean to darken anyone's doorstep "don't do something I don't like" because of course we all have different wants and needs. Also I am pushing 50 and I have no idea the age of OP (or other people who might be thinking along these lines). My best piece of advice is, if you have only lived in one place for your entire life - if you have the opportunity, absolutely go and experience something different. Travel if you must, but actually living somewhere for an amount of time will change everything in your life, and how you perceive and experience the world, as well as yourself. It can be really hard, and honestly only a certain percentage of people can actually do such a thing without breaking down or exhausting themselves, but if you have the wanderlust a bit? Fuck it, go for it, you might find whatever's missing out there somewhere. Or at least get a clearer idea of what that even is.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sometimes I forget that most of the world don't appreciate British humour.

Not gonna change how sarcastic I am and my willingness to slag off others.
Oh you’re British that explains it. I like British humor.

You are cool.

Top Bottom