• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I keep my PS4 Pro?

Megatron

So I managed to get a PS5, and now I'm wondering if there's any point to keeping my PS4 Pro? Are there any games that don't work on the PS5? I understand the PS VR works on PS5. Any issues there? I have a PS5, XBox One X and a Series X so the PS5 is really just for exclusives. I don't see a need for the PS4 Pro. I just think anything I play on the PS4 I would just play on the PS5. I do have a 9 year old, but I think he'll mostly be playing the Xboxes and Fifa. He wants to play Miles Morales but I have that on PS5.

One issue I am considering is the trade in value of the ps4 pro is less than I expect. I can get $135 for an xbox one S at Amazon, but I can only get $200 in trade to gamestop or Bestbuy for a Pro? (And $175 on Amazon) That seems out of whack.

What do you guys think? Any point in keeping it? Are you guys keeping yours?

Max_Po

Banned
It depends, are you on hackable firmware ? if so you may want to keep it as community is doing 60 patches...

if not, get rid of it as you will get good money. SONY have stopped manufacturing it.

PreFire

Do you have any nephews/nieces or younger family members to whom you can possibly give it to?

After you transfer the saves, wipe it (users, apps) and download and install the latest firmware for it (if it lets you even do that without logging in)

Enjoy the PS5 :messenger_beaming:

Valedix

Gold Member
Nope sell it or give it away, it's what I did with mine. There's no point in keeping it if you own a PS5. :)

No point holding onto it OP.

Sell it off. PS5 will handle games better and be quiet at doing so. I don't regret accidentally fucking up my Pro. It's saved my ears and sanity.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Maybe if PlayStation had auto syncing across all platform like Xbox but because it doesn’t I’d say no.

Allforce

I kept mine in my office, PS5 in the family room. Comes in handy since I play a lot of Warzone with friends so I can seclude myself away sometimes if someone is using the family room TV and everything is just synced up fine no matter where I play.

Wulfer

Playstation rule of thumb "Never sell your older hardware if you want to play your older games later on in life!". Between taking servers offline and pulling games releases it's always wise to keep your older hardware. (Atleast with the Playstation brand)

Last edited:

Tschumi

I'm keeping mine, probably forever, unless i get a ps5 digital "slim" in black someday... Moreover, I'm considering getting a PS3 again, because i miss Gran Turismo 6 and mgs4, but i don't think it's worth it for just those two titles..

So I managed to get a PS5, and now I'm wondering if there's any point to keeping my PS4 Pro? Are there any games that don't work on the PS5? I understand the PS VR works on PS5. Any issues there? I have a PS5, XBox One X and a Series X so the PS5 is really just for exclusives. I don't see a need for the PS4 Pro. I just think anything I play on the PS4 I would just play on the PS5. I do have a 9 year old, but I think he'll mostly be playing the Xboxes and Fifa. He wants to play Miles Morales but I have that on PS5.

One issue I am considering is the trade in value of the ps4 pro is less than I expect. I can get $135 for an xbox one S at Amazon, but I can only get $200 in trade to gamestop or Bestbuy for a Pro? (And $175 on Amazon) That seems out of whack.

What do you guys think? Any point in keeping it? Are you guys keeping yours?
Given you seem more focused on xbox anyway you should definitely sell the PRO. Also, try facebook Marketplace, it's probably a better way to get the most out of it. Anyway, the PS4s (all of them) are noisy, the PS5 is not nearly as annoying, just for that I would not have kept it anyway.

Justin9mm

Unless you got a bedroom or another room you may want to use it in? Or if you have a family with kids, maybe a second living area that if you have other people's kids visiting they can play that to keep them entertained and getting up to mischief.

If not, I'd rather sell for cash whilst its still worth something then keep it collecting dust.

Dream-Knife

Banned
If you want to future proof your stuff, I'd say yes. PS5 has memory soldered onto the motherboard, and that stuff fails. PS4 you can swap drives easily.

Granted that only matters if you are a collector.

If you have more then one player in the home then yes keep both. The PS4PRO can play 99% of the games out there today so if you have gone digital multiple people can play at the same time. You can even have your PS4 and PS5 signed in under the same account at the same time if you had to .

I have two PS4's ( release) and two PS5's. I have a Remote PS5, my Brother has the Primary PS5, My sisterin law uses the Primary PS4 and my nephew uses the Remote PS4 ( under my account) so we can have 4 players playing a game under a single PS+ account in the same home.

Also if you have a PSVR , the load times are greatly improved on the PS5 but I have one of the PS4's dedicated to the PSVR since you need to use PS4 controllers and camera for it anyway and the PS4 can hold all of the games in my PSVR library ( PS5 just doesn;t have the space and I don't want an external drive)

Varteras

Gold Member
Unless you're the kind of person who likes to collect hardware I would sell it. Really no reason to own a PS4 if you have a PS5.

TLZ

Banned
I traded in mine for a good price since the PS5 plays all the PS4 games but 10 I don't care about.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Sold mine on Craigslist months ago when I got my launch PS5. Console only with AC cord for $250. Shit, probably goes for even more now.

SkylineRKR

There is no point, absolutely zero. PS5 is more silent and loads faster and about everything works including VR. Do it while it still fetches money. I sold mine in November for about 250, it did have 2tb but I was too lazy to replace it.

Last edited:

Dav-Kripler

I'd sell the PS5 to the highest bidder. Play on the pro in the meantime and get a new PS5 when it becomes a) cheaper and b) more available. You'll then have more money for sales. Just a practical option 🤷

You need to look up if any of the ps4 games you play have issues on PS5. If not, you're good to sell it. Personally I looked up my collection and how it runs on ps5 and there's like 1 game with a minor visual issue, OG knack I believe.

//DEVIL//

depends.

My 6 years old son is using it. If I buy a game on my PS5, he can play it on PS4 at the same time. so kinda saved me the hassle of buying games for him as well. so in that case the Pro is useful to me.

Also, I do believe at one point all of these consoles will be hackable. so it will be a nice one just for the fun of exploring what can be done on the system.

lachesis

I haven't sold my pro. I did realize I really didn't turn it on much at all since I got my PS5 - I actually turned on my PS3 much more often than PS4 Pro.
Other than any nostalgic issue, I wouldn't blame for selling it. I probably will sell mine off when I'm to downsize my gaming goods in the distant future... that I'm not in that much of hurry nor short of cash nor the space to put it.

Flutta

Banned
Bin it, sell it, burn it, use it as a stand. Whatever you feel like doing. You dont need that piece of junk anymore when you already got a PS5.

BlackTron

This thread has me tempted to sell my PS4 Pro now and bank the money until a PS5 is available. $200 upgrade path is NOT BAD

Top Bottom