• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should i get Trails of Zero?

SantaC

I need a new jrpg to play after i finished Octopath Traveler 2. I really liked Cold Steel series but i am not so fond of the chibi graphics in Trails of Zero. Is the game worth getting? Is it anywhere near close as good as Cold Steel?

SeraphJan

If you like the setting in Cold Steel, their setting are related and shares some character although the story is not

Last edited:

AmuroChan

If you like the Trails world, you will get over the chibi design quickly. The Crossbell games will add a lot of additional context and depth to the Cold Steel story.

lachesis

I haven't played cold steel series yet - but coming from the Trails in the Sky 1 to 3 - I could definitely tell it felt a bit more modern, especially the Steam version. Looking forward playing Azure.
I'm honestly not big fan of the quartz system and level cap though. It's so open, but feels pretty limiting at the same time. Good thing is it's got more manageable size of characters, so I don't have to swap characters too many of times like FC/SC/TC - that sometimes I felt like what's this low level character doing in my party, and felt like I had to level them up to my main characters. (which took long time) - Zero was much more manageable in general - as you are stuck with your set team members in most cases, except a few times.

However I like the faster battle pace and all.... but for me, the best part is that campy, anime/manga like storytelling that encompasses the whole world building so far.

I haven't played cold steel series yet - but coming from the Trails in the Sky 1 to 3 - I could definitely tell it felt a bit more modern, especially the Steam version. Looking forward playing Azure.
I'm honestly not big fan of the quartz system and level cap though. It's so open, but feels pretty limiting at the same time. Good thing is it's got more manageable size of characters, so I don't have to swap characters too many of times like FC/SC/TC - that sometimes I felt like what's this low level character doing in my party, and felt like I had to level them up to my main characters. (which took long time) - Zero was much more manageable in general - as you are stuck with your set team members in most cases, except a few times.

However I like the faster battle pace and all.... but for me, the best part is that campy, anime/manga like storytelling that encompasses the whole world building so far.
Play them in this order, if you can: cs1, cs2, tfz, tta, cs3,cs4.

Graciaus

If you haven't played the sky trilogy I would play that first. Zero is pretty light on the story but it is a sequel to them. Characters show up and terms/events are talked about you are supposed to know that aren't always explained.

But yes the game is great.

lachesis

Play them in this order, if you can: cs1, cs2, tfz, tta, cs3,cs4.
Arg, too late my friend! Just started Azure. Finished Zero a couple of months ago. Either way, I tend to play games in order of their original release dates! Not to spoil myself, but I guess the protagonists of Sky/Zero/Azure will make a return to Cold Steel, I assume. :)

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I need a new jrpg to play after i finished Octopath Traveler 2. I really liked Cold Steel series but i am not so fond of the chibi graphics in Trails of Zero. Is the game worth getting? Is it anywhere near close as good as Cold Steel?

Hell yeah you should. Having now played through Zero/Azure after playing through the Cold Steel series I like Lloyd and the Crossbell cast alot more the the main characters of Cold Steel.

Arg, too late my friend! Just started Azure. Finished Zero a couple of months ago. Either way, I tend to play games in order of their original release dates! Not to spoil myself, but I guess the protagonists of Sky/Zero/Azure will make a return to Cold Steel, I assume. :)
Mostly 2, I believe, but at least you'll be fully aware of all the Crossbell goings on.

Top Bottom