• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get an XSX or a PS5?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Absolutely disagree. The DualSense is miles ahead of the Xbox controller. The features of the DualSense are some of the most next-gen feeling aspects from all of the new generation.

The Xbox Series controller even feels like a step down from last gen with is cheap feeling and annoyingly loud clicking face buttons and d-pad.

It's not miles ahead, the dual sense is cool at first but is by no means a system selling feature for most people. (Sometimes it's even just annoying, turned up or down) Both are excellent overall controllers, even though I don't disagree with the annoying buttons. I like the d-pad on both controllers. I'm just so glad the dual sense destroys the ps4 controller in every way.......

ZehDon

Absolutely disagree. The DualSense is miles ahead of the Xbox controller. The features of the DualSense are some of the most next-gen feeling aspects from all of the new generation.

The Xbox Series controller even feels like a step down from last gen with is cheap feeling and annoyingly loud clicking face buttons and d-pad.
giphy.gif

I like it when somebody says “I have both” and then writes a diary on only Ps5 negatives and only Xbox positives, because that’s credible and makes sense and real people are like that.
Someone that owns both consoles would be more likely to know the pros and cons of both systems. I'd prefer that over a guy who does not have the device but can write a paragraph about how they don't like what they don't have. Also there no reason to believe both systems have an equal number of pros and cons. It's totally subjective anyway.

I have both consoles and to me it's clear they don't both have an equal number of pros and cons. I like the PS5 controller and it's better than every other PlayStation controller before it. I can also appreciate the specific genres Sony makes games for.

I like the value I get from Xbox platforms, the simplicity of getting in and out of chats, increasing the storage, and playing updated titles. Quality of life features like Quick Resume and FPS boost are fantastic. I prefer the variety game titles Game pass offers me and how all my Game pass having friends have the same library.

It all boils down to if I want to play with friends I'm on Xbox and when I want to be alone I'm on PlayStation. It just so happens I enjoying playing with my friends more.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Someone that owns both consoles would be more likely to know the pros and cons of both systems. I'd prefer that over a guy who does not have the device but can write a paragraph about how they don't like what they don't have. Also there no reason to believe both systems have an equal number of pros and cons. It's totally subjective anyway.

When one is all positive and the other is all negative you know it’s just a bunch of fanboy drivel. Never met anyone like that in real life yet neogaf is filled with these people, a bunch of bull.

I think it’s completely fair to prefer one over the other, and maybe that even changes month to month when you have both.

Based on what the OP said I actually recommended the Xbox, and I don’t own one. But that’s how you do recommendations, it’s based on interpretation of the others people interest/needs, and not “me me me me”

Ps: you’re known as an Xbox fan around here, and you picked up a series S, so it’s weird now reading you own a ps5 honestly, like it doesn’t make any sense when you add everything up but good for you that somehow you can find enjoyment out of a console you chose to buy supposedly because you wanted it and not because reasons

Last edited:
maybe i haven't played enough next gen PS5 games. But i see the dualsense as a negative.

Its fun in Astrobot. And just frustrating in anything else.

Not sure how that's funny. The controller is basically identical to the Xbox One's controller, but now make very auidable clicking sounds when you press the d-pad or face buttons.

Or is that a feature I'm just not getting?
The controller is more comfortable (unless you have giant hands), more grippy, the bumpers are better, the d-pad is miles ahead (basically the Elite d-pad), and it has a share button. It's overall a small but still noticable upgrade.

Greggy

There is nothing "verifiably false" about his opinion on upcoming games. You simply disagree. That's fine, but nothing being said by either of you is factual.

There are plenty of arguments to be made on sound. I'd say yeah, if a Dolby sound system is important than that's an Xbox advantage. Leave it at that.

You are not providing a "service" here. You are offering up your own opinion. Nothing more.
It’s not an opinion that XSX supports Atmos and DTS and the PS5 doesn’t. The topic brought up was sound so yes, whether it supports the most successful sound standards is important, whether it’s Dolby or DTS. That’s not an opinion.

Finally, it is verifiably false that PS has the best upcoming line up when the only major exclusive coming out this year for their console is from Microsoft. MS however has at least 5 relevant exclusives coming out just between next week and Xmas. This is something that OP may not know and could be very relevant to his decision.

I am going to give you the credit of ignorance and suggest that you learn the difference between an opinion and a fact. The alternative would be that you’re a troll who’s taking some liberty with the facts, so I will dismiss it until seeing more evidence of it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ps: you’re known as an Xbox fan around here, and you picked up a series S, so it’s weird now reading you own a ps5 honestly, like it doesn’t make any sense when you add everything up but good for you
You can like one product without hating the other.

You can like one product, and still want the other product to succeed.

You can like one product, and like the other also.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure OP might have just been dropping a hand grenade with this thread hoping for fireworks.

I have both too, so far the ps5 does have better new games to date. But this is about to change, and gamepass is overall a fantastic value proposition that can't be ignored.
The ssd speed on most actual scenarios is a wash, as is the controller. (Like things about both) both are very powerfull overall, its a wash there too. One may look better in terms of astetics to you.
My vote is save for both, I couldn't live with just one or the other.......
I could live without my PS5. I don't know why I bought it other than brand loyalty. But the truth is there are no games for this thing almost a full year after release and to make matters worse, we don't even know when are we going to start getting some games. Sony hasn't revealed a single release date for their upcoming games. We're looking at a God of War release for holiday 2022 at the earliest and maybe we will get Horizon first quarter next year. But who gives a fuck about horizon? That's a B- exclusive.

So they launched this thing on November 2020 but they won't have a single fucking game worth buying until holiday 2022. That's unbelievable to me.

Xbox at least will release Halo and Forza this year.

Xbox at least will release Halo and Forza this year.
I don't think this is a good reason to get an xbox... at least not compared to Horizon 2 and the few other exclusive PS5 games (the series s/x had their minor stuff too).

The hardware inside both consoles is similar enough that it should not matter much, however the series X has a more traditional look to it and the PS5 looks like a piece of modern art, a big one.

The libraries are mostly their backward compatibility with some enhanced titles (which xbox does have more and a generally better approach to enhancing old games).

It seems many xbox "exclusives" are coming to PlayStation anyway, at least on the Bethesda camp.

Sony upcoming exclusive content is a known quantity (if you liked them in the past chances are you will like them again)... While MS bought a ton of studios, so they are bound to release something notable, which they have not made in a long long time, but again, it seems they are going to release some of that output on PS machines, so I'm not sure how much of an argument it is to get their hardware.

So they launched this thing on November 2020 but they won't have a single fucking game worth buying until holiday 2022. That's unbelievable to me.
You were not alive early in the PS3 and PS4 lifespan? Sony has "downtimes" in their release schedule, this has always been the case and I have no reason to believe it will end one day, unless you count their baseball games that are released on a yearly basis.

This is why buying a PS5 is a known quantity, if you like Sony exclusives they will show up and you'll be happy to play the next God of War or whatever it is they come up with.... if you don't care for them, then third party titles is what you have to look at (obviously if Forza Horizon is what you are looking for the PS5 is not the place for you and the discussion is not really worth having, just like if you want to play Grand Tourismo)

I'd say ps5 and get a gaming pc alongside with it since everything from xbox is on it and looks and runs better, if it has online it will be free there to.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not an opinion that XSX supports Atmos and DTS and the PS5 doesn’t. The topic brought up was sound so yes, whether it supports the most successful sound standards is important, whether it’s Dolby or DTS. That’s not an opinion.

Finally, it is verifiably false that PS has the best upcoming line up when the only major exclusive coming out this year for their console is from Microsoft. MS however has at least 5 relevant exclusives coming out just between next week and Xmas. This is something that OP may not know and could be very relevant to his decision.

I think I made it clear that Dolby was an XSX advantage. Actually, I explicitly stated that.

"Best" is always subjective. "Best" is entirely based on opinion.

I am going to give you the credit of ignorance and suggest that you learn the difference between an opinion and a fact. The alternative would be that you’re a troll who’s taking some liberty with the facts, so I will dismiss it until seeing more evidence of it.

What is with the personal insults? I don't think you are making good arguments but I've said nothing about you personally. I'm "ignorant" and a "troll"? Really?

Last edited:
I have both

most anticipated game is Halo infinite

but if u have a capable modern gaming PC get a PS5, u can also get Halo on that

but i just personally prefer to play Halo on an Xbox, feels awkward on anything else

I don't think this is a good reason to get an xbox... at least not compared to Horizon 2 and the few other exclusive PS5 games (the series s/x had their minor stuff too).

The hardware inside both consoles is similar enough that it should not matter much, however the series X has a more traditional look to it and the PS5 looks like a piece of modern art, a big one.

The libraries are mostly their backward compatibility with some enhanced titles (which xbox does have more and a generally better approach to enhancing old games).

It seems many xbox "exclusives" are coming to PlayStation anyway, at least on the Bethesda camp.

Sony upcoming exclusive content is a known quantity (if you liked them in the past chances are you will like them again)... While MS bought a ton of studios, so they are bound to release something notable, which they have not made in a long long time, but again, it seems they are going to release some of that output on PS machines, so I'm not sure how much of an argument it is to get their hardware.

You were not alive early in the PS3 and PS4 lifespan? Sony has "downtimes" in their release schedule, this has always been the case and I have no reason to believe it will end one day, unless you count their baseball games that are released on a yearly basis.

This is why buying a PS5 is a known quantity, if you like Sony exclusives they will show up and you'll be happy to play the next God of War or whatever it is they come up with.... if you don't care for them, then third party titles is what you have to look at (obviously if Forza Horizon is what you are looking for the PS5 is not the place for you and the discussion is not really worth having, just like if you want to play Grand Tourismo)
This is the first time I bought a console on launch and obviously it will be the last one. I always buy consoles like 4 years after release but now I wanted to enjoy the games the day they were released instead of 4 years later.

My bad, I should have made a better research. I cant fucking believe I paid 500 dollars for this thing when I could have just played all these games on my PS4.

By the time Sony actually releases a game, the PS5 will be at least 100 dollars cheaper and may be they even release a slim version. Unfuckingbelievable

This is not the case with Nintendo at all. I've always buy Nintendo consoles on launch and I have plenty of games to play the first year. The only one that I didn't buy was the Wii U

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Obvious answer, if you want to play returnal, ratchet and clank, demons souls horizon when it's out and god of war sometime in 2022 then get the ps5.

If you want an insane amount of first and third party games in game pass and play Halo single player and multi with some forza horizon action get the xbox.

If money is tight I personally think an xbox with game pass is mega but of you are happy to pay 70 dollars to play games then go for ps5. I personally only think returnal is worth the cost of investment. If I'd bought the rest digitally at full price I'd feel sick.
I played $70 for Demon Souls, Ratchet, Returnal and Miles

I have no regrets
Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Thanati

It usually works fine for me but some games sometimes don't work like 12 minutes lately. The console experience is much better and smoother overall too .
Weird. Actually, I’m saying that, I’ve always had problems with Forza 4, I was never able to get it working. But that’s the only one. I love the streaming feature as well :)

SirTerry-T

Not sure how that's funny. The controller is basically identical to the Xbox One's controller, but now make very auidable clicking sounds when you press the d-pad or face buttons.

Or is that a feature I'm just not getting?
The clicking D-pad is awesome, makes it feel like it's micro switched or something.

OP, go with your gut but I would be wary of basing too much of your decision on any future exclusives from either company. Until those titles are ready to hit the shelves we have no idea how great they are going to be.

When one is all positive and the other is all negative you know it’s just a bunch of fanboy drivel. Never met anyone like that in real life yet neogaf is filled with these people, a bunch of bull.

I think it’s completely fair to prefer one over the other, and maybe that even changes month to month when you have both.

Based on what the OP said I actually recommended the Xbox, and I don’t own one. But that’s how you do recommendations, it’s based on interpretation of the others people interest/needs, and not “me me me me”

Ps: you’re known as an Xbox fan around here, and you picked up a series S, so it’s weird now reading you own a ps5 honestly, like it doesn’t make any sense when you add everything up but good for you that somehow you can find enjoyment out of a console you chose to buy supposedly because you wanted it and not because reasons
Slight correction I own both a PS5 and XSX. I wanted 4K for my 4k television. I am a tech fan above all else. If the tech is cool I'll most likely get it. Just because I prefer to play on the Xbox doesn't mean I won't play something on PlayStation. I have bought every previous one at launch since the PS1. At least when I talk about PlayStation it's from my own personal experience rather than burning fanboy hatred of systems I've never owned.

The XSS is a fine console and offers the best value of any system right now. As long as you don't care about the best graphics it packs all the same features the $200 more expensive box does. Many here have snagged one and a PS5 as well. It really takes the risk out of trying MS's ecosystem especially for those wary from last generation. I highly doubt this generation will be another TV TV TV one.

Get the console that has all of the games you want to play and or the console that all your friends have so you can play online with them.

Both consoles have a bright future so if you are buying now focus on the console that has the games you would want to play now.

93xfan

Banned
I have both and PS5 has the better games, better controller, faster SSD. It's easily the better console in my opinion.

Quick Resume for 8 games at a time makes up for the SSD difference imo.

Also, Gamepass and MCC+Infinite is really where it’s a if you like amazing arena shooters. Add in Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5 and some amazing WRPGs on the way and it’s not so easy to call it in PS5s favor.

Many praise the UI, save data management, Smart Delivery and quietness of the Series X.

OP, if there’s any chance you’ll buy both, wait for a consistently quiet PS5 revision and save a ton of money and never get bored with Gamepass.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
With the majority of Sony first party games being offline single player games, IMO it makes the most sense to just wait a few years to get a PS5. Those games aren't going to become unplayable like online multiplayer games can over time, they'll just drop in price and probably get "game of the year" or "definitive" editions with some extra content down the track.

The Series X is starting to get the better version of almost every new multiplatform game, especially if you have a VRR TV, so it makes sense IMO to get the Series X now for multiplatform games and xbox exclusives, and then pick up a PS5 further down the track when there is a decent library of PS5 exclusives in the bargain bin ready for you to play. Like I haven't played the 2018 God of War, but I could play it for the first time in 2025 and be no worse off. It's still going to be 100% the same experience. Contrast that to say COD Vanguard, where unless you play the MP in the first year or so it'll be dead.

Rodolink

None until the real exclusives come. I have been using the Ps5 mostly to play Ps4 backlog. Also you'd get bundles and special editions of you wait.

Greggy

I think I made it clear that Dolby was an XSX advantage. Actually, I explicitly stated that.

"Best" is always subjective. "Best" is entirely based on opinion.

What is with the personal insults? I don't think you are making good arguments but I've said nothing about you personally. I'm "ignorant" and a "troll"? Really?
Agreed. Best is subjective. You will note that I was taking objection with the same word and said it was not only subjective but false when the exclusive ratio is approximately 2 to 5. Kena and Deathloop against Halo, FH5, Psychonauts 2, Scorn, the Gunk, Crossfire although many could be delayed). And you jumped into the post to tell me that suggesting that Microsoft might have the upper hand here is a matter of opinion. Yes, I feel troll vibes on that one.

Ignorant was out of line but you pretended that I was passing opinions as facts although I stated clearly that I was very careful to be factual. I’ll just say I disagree with you.

ZywyPL

Banned
If you're really in urge to get a next-gen console but don't have a favorite, IMO get the XSX now and then PS5 later, preferably a Slim when it shows up, there should've been enough exclusive titles catalog to chose from by then.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
My personal opinion I love both and both consoles have great exclusives coming. PS5 being top tier for exclusive games I desire but the robust amount of games Indie and AAA Xbox Series X + Gamepass takes the cake. I always find myself jumping between consoles depending on what I want to play.

From reading your post OP it seems you are heading towards a PS5 which is a great choice and you have time to save up later for a Series X when their exclusives begin to ramp up.

If you are wanting at least 2 of these big three Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank and Returnal I say jump on the Digital PS5.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Xbox plus game pass is amazing value and an instant game collection to play, PS5 is also awesome and psNOW is good but not as good as Game pass

get which console has the more appealing games to you, its only you who can make that choice

Top Bottom