• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get an XSX or a PS5?

one could argue you will get more out of gamepass if you are coming to it new, so many free updated last gen games you prob missed. Huge library to explore with new high quality games.

I think the appeal to GamePass for many is more of the future potential than the current library. I'm in this camp. I look around GamePass and see some content I'd like to play, but not very many killer apps. But if Microsoft delivers on the promise, it can be a great time to jump in at that point.

S0ULZB0URNE

It doesn't make sense to focus entirely on the "rest of 2021" for first party. The selection of games already available are just as important as the games to come.

Not really. Perhaps if you have an Atmos sound system, but otherwise it is no better or no worse. Headphones, I think it is better on PS5 with Tempest. And Tempest will soon be available on home theater as well. The fact that USB audio output is on PS5 opens up a number of options, however, that are not available on XSX.
Well XSX also has DTS X.
PS5 needs to hurry up with its AVR support cause it sounds like PS4 currently.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
why-not-both-linus-both.gif

My general feeling from owning both is...
If you want to play great games get a PS5.
If you just want to play any game to pass time get an Xbox with gamepass.
Gamepass is 1) MS first party, 2) AA games, 3), indie games, 4) rarely a big third party AAA game like Yakuza, Back 4 Blood or Battlefield.

People expecting more than that will be let down. For me though, I'm constantly finding almost too much to literally even play it all. Its a lot of fun. I still play Switch and PS5 though so I guess I just want everything.

Greggy

It doesn't make sense to focus entirely on the "rest of 2021" for first party. The selection of games already available are just as important as the games to come.

Not really. Perhaps if you have an Atmos sound system, but otherwise it is no better or no worse. Headphones, I think it is better on PS5 with Tempest. And Tempest will soon be available on home theater as well. The fact that USB audio output is on PS5 opens up a number of options, however, that are not available on XSX.
I was replying to a verifiably false statement that PS5 has the best and larger first party line up released and upcoming. That’s simply not accurate, specifically the “upcoming” part.
That same poster also claimed that the ps5 has better sound. No. Certainly not on a home theatre, as it doesn’t support Armos and DTS like the XSX does. Even if you want to compare Atmos and Tempest on headphones, there is simply no basis to give Tempest the upper hand. Let me put it this way. If it was that good, Sony would put it against Atmos on Sony sound systems.
I don’t care to give my own opinion on which console is better, I wanted both because they both have something unique and I got both. I think I’m doing OP a service though by helping differentiate obvious fanboy drivel from objective buying advice. Mind you, I have my work cut out with a mission like that on this forum.

I was very happy with my Ps4 console but decided to switch to xbox this gen due to gamepass.

I'm very happy with my purchase and I don't feel like I've missed out (will certainly miss titles like god of war though). The xbox does have many great games despite what some die hards will tell you. Whatever your decision, I think you'll be happy.

Topher

Gold Member
I was replying to a verifiably false statement that PS5 has the best and larger first party line up released and upcoming. That’s simply not accurate, specifically the “upcoming” part.
That same poster also claimed that the ps5 has better sound. No. Certainly not on a home theatre, as it doesn’t support Armos and DTS like the XSX does. Even if you want to compare Atmos and Tempest on headphones, there is simply no basis to give Tempest the upper hand. Let me put it this way. If it was that good, Sony would put it against Atmos on Sony sound systems.
I don’t care to give my own opinion on which console is better, I wanted both because they both have something unique and I got both. I think I’m doing OP a service though by helping differentiate obvious fanboy drivel from objective buying advice. Mind you, I have my work cut out with a mission like that on this forum.

There is nothing "verifiably false" about his opinion on upcoming games. You simply disagree. That's fine, but nothing being said by either of you is factual.

There are plenty of arguments to be made on sound. I'd say yeah, if a Dolby sound system is important than that's an Xbox advantage. Leave it at that.

You are not providing a "service" here. You are offering up your own opinion. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Both are amazing. I had a PS5 since launch and XSX I got in December.

If you are looking to save a lot of money, superior hardware (minus the ssd) and a insane library of both old, current and new upcoming games then go with Series X. You'll save an abusrds amount of cash.

I use my XSX way more, only pop in PS5 for exclusive games and that's it.

If you are wanting some of the exclusive titles you'll be playing in the future and want to invest in VR later go for PS5.

But in all honestly, if you just love games I'd get both down the line.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have both PS5 has better single player first party games the Series X has GamePass and some nice first party titles coming.

I think Series X and Xbox in general has the superior hardware.

The console has options the PS5 doesnt like 1440p, VRR and an expeansion you dont have to crack the case open for.

Plus the controller and headset are superior.

My vote if I could only have one would be Series X.
This sums up both consoles perfectly in my opinion.

Jimmy_liv

I've got both, I've bought some PS5 exclusives - Ratchet, returnal, demon souls.

I use my XSX much much more because of Gamepass and the rewards. I've got £100 in rewards and every week there's something new on GP; it's hard to ignore.

Yeah, so I’m on the fence on which one to buy. I like Game Pass Ultimate and the rewards system for buying digital goods and there seems to be some good titles coming soon, but most of my library was on PS4 and there a lot of PS5 exclusive titles I want to play now and in the future.

What would you go with if you were me? I mean, I can get a Digital PS5 for cheaper than an Xbox Series X too so that’s a factor as well.
A lot of PS5 exclusives? What are you talking about. I have a PS5 and there's no games to play. I've been playing PS4 games this past 10 months lol.

Xbox doesnt have any games either so I would advise you to wait at least until the holidays or until next year.

If you buy a console right now you will only use it to play BC games or as a paper weight.

Both are amazing. I had a PS5 since launch and XSX I got in December.

If you are looking to save a lot of money, superior hardware (minus the ssd) and a insane library of both old, current and new upcoming games then go with Series X. You'll save an abusrds amount of cash.

I use my XSX way more, only pop in PS5 for exclusive games and that's it.

If you are wanting some of the exclusive titles you'll be playing in the future and want to invest in VR later go for PS5.

But in all honestly, if you just love games I'd get both down the line.

Just curious why the idea of "superior hardware (minus the SSD)" is an actual pro when we have seen how this has played out thus far?

There's not just a difference between the two consoles hardware wise that manifests in any visibly consistent way. Some play better on one platform or the other. The SSD IS the most meaningful difference. The other difference being controller preference, where DualSense tends to be lauded for its advancements.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have both and PS5 has the better games, better controller, faster SSD. It's easily the better console in my opinion.

I have both too, so far the ps5 does have better new games to date. But this is about to change, and gamepass is overall a fantastic value proposition that can't be ignored.
The ssd speed on most actual scenarios is a wash, as is the controller. (Like things about both) both are very powerfull overall, its a wash there too. One may look better in terms of astetics to you.
My vote is save for both, I couldn't live with just one or the other.......

SpiceRacz

Owned both and I would say PS5. PS5 has better software so far. Feels like Microsoft is playing catch up and the games are still far out. You're buying Series X based on potential and Gamepass.

Its facts, just apply your own question to XSX and the answer is 0 games.
If the OP already has a PS4 library then his library transfers to the PS5 backwards Compatibility. He can play all Multiplats and PlayStation Exclusives. Heck even "The Medium" which isn't that good of a Game will be on PlayStation.
The only reason to get XSX is if you really really want to play Halo Infinite and Forza (which does look good) coming up.
But still aren't both of those also Cross-Gen games?
So if he already played this games why would he buy a PS5?

In that case I would reccomend her to buy an XSX with gamepass to play all those missed games.

for me Playstation has slowly become an exclusives only machine.

I prefer to play damn near everything else on XBox. Its just a better console and ecosystem. I still prefer fighting games on Playstation tho.

If i wasn't so ingrained in the xbox world already. In some imaginary world where im starting off fresh. And have no ties to Xbox or Playstation. And just wanted one console. I would get a playstation. Because u get the great exclusives. And all the same multiplats. Just at a worse experience. Which u won't know or care unless u had both to jump back and forth between

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just curious why the idea of "superior hardware (minus the SSD)" is an actual pro when we have seen how this has played out thus far?

There's not just a difference between the two consoles hardware wise that manifests in any visibly consistent way. Some play better on one platform or the other. The SSD IS the most meaningful difference. The other difference being controller preference, where DualSense tends to be lauded for its advancements.

1440p support. VRR. SSD the doesnt require opening your console.

Dualsense controller is really cool in its vibrations but for me the adaptive triggers are useless and turned off so for me the Xbox controller is superior not even bringing in the option for the Elite Series 2 which is a huge step up for shooting games.

I also prefer the Xbox headset over the new Pulse as the Sony headset just doesnt fit well.

bender

What time is it?
The ability to use a bluetooth dongle on PS5 is a significant advantage when talking about headsets. Allows for using any wireless headset on the market rather than having to choose from officially licensed products.

The microphone on the DualSense is surprisingly good and the headphone jack does a much better job of driving headphones than the DS4. Just get a good set of cans and call it a day.

Topher

Gold Member
The microphone on the DualSense is surprisingly good and the headphone jack does a much better job of driving headphones than the DS4. Just get a good set of cans and call it a day.

I prefer true wireless headphones.

1440p support. VRR. SSD the doesnt require opening your console.

Dualsense controller is really cool in its vibrations but for me the adaptive triggers are useless and turned off so for me the Xbox controller is superior not even bringing in the option for the Elite Series 2 which is a huge step up for shooting games.

I also prefer the Xbox headset over the new Pulse as the Sony headset just doesnt fit well.

VRR/1440p support isn't really a hardware feature. It's a kind of fringe benefit that people seem to overplay. Most don't have the TVs to support it. Shame it's taking Sony so long, but it will be there eventually. "Doesnt require opening your console" is a pretty silly argument.

Everyone is entitled to their own sets of preferences, but DualSense has far more advanced features and feels like a real next gen controller whereas there's nothing special about the Xbox controller, it's essentially unchanged. Pulse vs Xbox headset, I don't have any experience with the new Xbox headset but the Pulse is really nice. Hard to see how they could meaningfully improve upon that for something of similar cost. Fits absolutely fine for me.

At the end of the day both are well designed consoles. I give the nod to PS5 due to the more meaningful SSD performance, more advanced controller, and cost advantage which strikes the right balance. You can't go wrong either way though.

Last edited:
The ssd speed on most actual scenarios is a wash, as is the controller.
Absolutely disagree. The DualSense is miles ahead of the Xbox controller. The features of the DualSense are some of the most next-gen feeling aspects from all of the new generation.

The Xbox Series controller even feels like a step down from last gen with is cheap feeling and annoyingly loud clicking face buttons and d-pad.

Absolutely disagree. The DualSense is miles ahead of the Xbox controller. The features of the DualSense are some of the most next-gen feeling aspects from all of the new generation.

The Xbox Series controller even feels like a step down from last gen with is cheap feeling and annoyingly loud clicking face buttons and d-pad.
I will cosign that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
VRR/1440p support isn't really a hardware feature. It's a kind of fringe benefit that people seem to overplay. Most don't have the TVs to support it. Shame it's taking Sony so long, but it will be there eventually. "Doesnt require opening your console" is a pretty silly argument.

Everyone is entitled to their own sets of preferences, but DualSense has far more advanced features and feels like a real next gen controller whereas there's nothing special about the Xbox controller, it's essentially unchanged. Pulse vs Xbox headset, I don't have any experience with the new Xbox headset but the Pulse is really nice. Hard to see how they could meaningfully improve upon that for something of similar cost. Fits absolutely fine for me.

At the end of the day both are well designed consoles. I give the nod to PS5 due to the more meaningful SSD performance and cost advantage which strikes the right balance. You can't go wrong either way though.
1440p monitors are quite popular but if you are wanting to go with most people doesnt have the TV to support VRR you could say the same about 4k or any other option that may or may not suit ones narrative.

The not wanting to open ones console might be a silly argument for those of us that read forums but we are by far the minority as much as people refuse to believe that and I know several people who buy consoles to sit in the TV cabinet and not worry about doing anything to it

Granted the Dual sense does have cool vibrations and that part does feel next gen but for many games they are useless imo.

But to each their own

1440p monitors are quite popular but if you are wanting to go with most people doesnt have the TV to support VRR you could say the same about 4k or any other option that may or may not suit ones narrative.

The not wanting to open ones console might be a silly argument for those of us that read forums but we are by far the minority as much as people refuse to believe that and I know several people who buy consoles to sit in the TV cabinet and not worry about doing anything to it

Granted the Dual sense does have cool vibrations and that part does feel next gen but for many games they are useless imo.

But to each their own

4K is far more widely adopted now than VRR. Regardless, VRR is confirmed for PS5 by end of the year. Taking off the casing of the PS5 really isn't some monumental undertaking. Main point being that none of these things should drive a purchasing decision

DualSense was basically hugely hyped up by everyone in the media since people got hands on play with it. Even Phil has said they are looking into it and like what Sony did. I think it's pretty safe to say who "won" the controller battle so far this gen. Everyone is talking about it on PS5, nobody is on XSX.

But yes, to each their own, no matter how minority their viewpoint is on a certain topic.

Banjo64

cumsessed

I respectfully disagree but I would say that ergonomically it is Sony’s best controller, and a great controller overall.

The neon lights, touch pad, haptic triggers, built in mic and speaker are all useless overkill to me.

However, the vibration, motion sensor and built in battery are great.

The Series controller feels very premium to me, nice matte plastic, extremely ergonomic and the clicking is satisfying IMO and reminds me of a mechanical keyboard. However, I use an Elite 2 instead of a Series pad. The Elite 2 is the best hands down in my opinion. It’s not even a contest if you play any online game.

SpokkX

I own both and Series X is by far the better choice with gamepass, xcloud, amazing BC, better multiplayform, vrr-support and better online system. A more future proof echosystem too - enhanced bc is guaranteed

ps5 has great exclusives though - it is a great secondary machine. Everything else is worse

Isa

Gold Member
I too own both. I've had the PS5 since launch, and my Series X since around, geez late May or very early June. I like both as they each have nice features, though I'm not keen on the PS5's ditching certain dashboard features which should have been carried over. Screw waiting for late implementation, if it ever even happens. No ratings on games I own or PSN? Get outta here. One of my favorite things is browsing the Xbox store reading reviews, were some devs will even respond to customer complaints. Plus gifting.

For all of the exclusives on PS5 I haven't completed nearly all of them save for Astro's Playroom which was great but waaaay too short. I love the potential of the controller but its used so sparingly. Both systems do well enough when loading a few microseconds mean little to me. My friends are spread out across systems, but I rarely play with them lately. To my surprise I've been playing on my Series X far far more than I anticipated, which is funny cause I didn't play a single game on it for like 2 weeks when I first got it. But now man, I loaded up the SSD and bought an extra SSD drive and filled that too. So many games, which as a Trophy guy I wanted to play again but want achievement pops lol as an excuse to go through them again.

I have mainly weeb games and Jrpgs one my PS5 now, most of which are all PS4 titles. I get Japanese games on my Xbox when I can to show support there. Honestly they are both great systems and it'd be hard to go wrong with either. Who really has time to play everything? Xbox does BC far better, which has been a blast seeing games I love playing so smooth and sharp and loading super quick. Quick Resume is really great. I love MS reward points, which I can trade for more Gamepass Ultimate or gift card money for more games. I don't even hunt for them and have accrued a bunch more. My controller batteries last longer on Xbox, and I can bounce between AA's or my rechargeables which still work great years later.

Honestly there is no perfect answer. If anything I'd say pc since most companies except Nintendo publish there now. If you want exclusives well each system will have them. I've lost my love for PS's stable lately. I don't want to suffer through another Naughty Dog game ever again. Spooder Man isn't for me. I don't want to GoT again, or Death Stranding for that matter. I know its all preference, and that'll be up to you really. For me the answer was easy, gotta have 'em all! I'm a gamer. Personally I'm more excited for what the future holds for MS(a ton of game genre diversity) and Nintendo + PC. Some features I don't use like Game Tips on PS5. Cool idea but they don't always give me the full info of what I'm looking for, so I still usually resort to guides online. Sorry for the wall of text, just throwing out what comes to mind. And look at the fanboy comparison vids and threads. People arguing over stuff that is barely noticeable save for someone with eagle eyes, its really just freeze-framing and nitpicking minutia. Both are great powerful systems at a great price. My only complaint for both are the small sizes of the SSD's.

I really like both PS5 and Series X and they are both very quiet thankfully.

Thirty7ven

Banned

But to each their own

Actually the majority don’t spend over 200$ on storage, they simply delete games and considering ratio is like 8 to 10 games per console that means the majority won’t have 20 games in their entire library let alone enough games that juggling them becomes a problem.

1440p is most def a niche segment of the market, clearly a PC gamers thing and it’s honestly kinda weird how you have these two arguments that completely oppose each other. Like the 1440p user will be the one who will take third party storage if that means opening the console where it’s supposed to be opened then no problem, because a PC guy aka monitor guy will take that superior solution 10/10 times, because it’s very PC.

VRR is a late 20’, early 21’ feature and only some TVs have it which means we are talking real niche here and not “4K hello I own the market right now” niche as you’re trying to imply.

The controller, switch off adaptive triggers because I’m boring and who cares about the whole new rumble is a shame, man you used to be different. This is just scrapping the bottom now, one controller is raved about and continues to be the best selling controller on the market and the other is just forgotten about. But ok.

You’re like that friend that changes car brand and then all of a sudden that car and that brand gotta be superior in everything LMAO. It’s an you thing I know, but still funny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom