• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get an XSX or a PS5?

Yeah, so I’m on the fence on which one to buy. I like Game Pass Ultimate and the rewards system for buying digital goods and there seems to be some good titles coming soon, but most of my library was on PS4 and there a lot of PS5 exclusive titles I want to play now and in the future.

What would you go with if you were me? I mean, I can get a Digital PS5 for cheaper than an Xbox Series X too so that’s a factor as well.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This gen really looks like both are going to have some killer exclusives so get both eventually if u need a;l the good games. Personally don’t have that kinda free time anymore so Xbox/gamepass combo is more then enough for me now so can wait on ps5 till some big games I really need to play build up.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have both PS5 has better single player first party games the Series X has GamePass and some nice first party titles coming.

I think Series X and Xbox in general has the superior hardware.

The console has options the PS5 doesnt like 1440p, VRR and an expeansion you dont have to crack the case open for.

Plus the controller and headset are superior.

My vote if I could only have one would be Series X.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I can only say here my experience. Got Xbox, really happy about all of that, what is going around Xbox/GamePass/etc

Planning to get PS5 later. I think this strategy will net you cheaper, more widely available console and later you get all those sweet exclusives.

elliot5

I can only say here my experience. Got Xbox, really happy about all of that, what is going around Xbox/GamePass/etc

Planning to get PS5 later. I think this strategy will net you cheaper, more widely available console and later you get all those sweet exclusives.
This is also my plan because I'm holding out until the games I care about release and by that time maybe there will be a slim model. I don't want that chunker in my house 😂

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What? What resolution options does the ps5 have?
4k and 1080p where as Xbox can hook into a 1440p monitor and support it natively

Now the PS5 can work on 1440p monitors and some monitors will let you select the 4k output and the monitor itself will downscale to the monitors native 1440p and look pretty nice.

But many 1440p monitors the PS5 will be stuck outputting 1080p

GriffinCorp

I have both and I knew that I wasn't going to play the Series X all that much. I have GamePass and It's been the total opposite for me. I barely turn on the PS5, Sony talked a great game and showed off a ton of excellent titles and one by one they have been delayed. So disappointing.

Go with the Xbox first. PS3/PS4 both took years to become awesome and I hated every minute of the first couple of years of those consoles life. I just took the bait that it was going to have a launch window of some epic titles like the PS1/PS2 did. I'll enjoy the PS5, maybe at the end of 2022. I have just enjoyed being able to play a ton of older games on the Xbox, it's smooth, fast, quick resume is a joy. Everything older plays better in most cases. The Xbox team is killing it.

Klik

Is it worth it to buy gaming pc if i don't play many games? I dont play most of the games on PC like strategies, games like dota, lol,footbal manager, i used to play csgo(3-4years ago) but i got bored with it after 2000hours lol

I mostly play fps games like battlefield and racing games

Roberts

I would go for XSX. Smart Delivery, 1440p support, FPS Boost, Backwards Compatibility, Dolby Vision, Auto-HDR, VRR, Gamepass have a lot to do with it. Slightly better hardware. MS is more costumer friendly and got a great social marketing team that actually gets in touch with gamers. Also, MS has almost twice the amount of first party developers, so in about two years we will really feel it. Also, if you are into Indies, Xbox has done a lot of good lately by supporting a lot of indie developers - Death’s Door, The Ascent and 12 Minutes might be timed exclusives, but they have been some of the best or interesting gaming experiences this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

FritzJ92

Both have great games coming in the future. However as of now a PS5 is only for Demon Souls, Returnal and R&C. The Xbox is only for Flight Sim, The Ascent, and The Medium and GamePass.
Most PS5 future games are coming on the PS4, more Xbox future games are leaving the XB1 after this year.
My advice get the Xbox first, PS5 later.

truth411

Yeah, so I’m on the fence on which one to buy. I like Game Pass Ultimate and the rewards system for buying digital goods and there seems to be some good titles coming soon, but most of my library was on PS4 and there a lot of PS5 exclusive titles I want to play now and in the future.

What would you go with if you were me? I mean, I can get a Digital PS5 for cheaper than an Xbox Series X too so that’s a factor as well.
PS5.
There's really no reason to own an XSX because you don't need XSX for GamePass, just get a cheap used Xbox One X.

WoodyStare

You won’t regret either. In your case, it sounds like the PS5 should be your first purchase since you already have a collection of PS4 games, and you’re interested in the exclusives. The Xbox is also a fantastic console with a lot of great features and Game Pass does offer a lot of value. Just choose whichever has the games you want to play right now. Either console will have many more games years from now and you’ll get better deals at that point.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

PS5.
There's really no reason to own an XSX because you don't need XSX for GamePass, just get a cheap used Xbox One X.
When people say that I always ask are three games worth buying a PS5? Of those 3, 1 is a 10 year old remaster you can play on the PS3.
Also stop recommending an old box thats losing support each day, OP never asked about the last gen why recommend it?

skit_data

Which has games released or upcoming that appeal to you the most? Which one has a history of working with developers of the games that you like the most?

That’s all that matters in the end

ManaByte

Gold Member
Both are great, but I'm incredibly happy with XBox Series X with Gamepass Ultimate. :)

XSX with Game pass

I have both PS5 has better single player first party games the Series X has GamePass and some nice first party titles coming.

I think Series X and Xbox in general has the superior hardware.

The console has options the PS5 doesnt like 1440p, VRR and an expeansion you dont have to crack the case open for.

Plus the controller and headset are superior.

My vote if I could only have one would be Series X.

I'd go Xbox, but I suspect PS will have the exclusives I want to play over time.

Xbox. get a PS5 later

that's my plan. been trying to get a Series X since it came out. i'm in no rush to get a PS5. maybe in a couple years if there's games i want to play.

Both have great games coming in the future. However as of now a PS5 is only for Demon Souls, Returnal and R&C. The Xbox is only for Flight Sim, The Ascent, and The Medium and GamePass.
Most PS5 future games are coming on the PS4, more Xbox future games are leaving the XB1 after this year.
My advice get the Xbox first, PS5 later.

i would buy XSX since many of playstation exclusives are still going to come to your ps4, buy a ps5 when enough ps5 exclusives have been made in a few years.

PS5 exclusives are still a long way off, unless there’s something you want right now.

Series X is a whisper quiet machine with Gamepass its an undeniable value.

Series X now, PS5 revision later.
Twilight Zone Getting Weird GIF by MOODMAN

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS5.
This is the worst advice in the thread.

No Flight Sim on One X, ancient loading times and most games stuck at 30fps instead of 60fps. Moving forward no Starfield on One X next year, no Deathloop or Tokyo Ghostwire next year on One X. No Redfall next year either.

Forza Motorsport, Fable, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2, Everwild - forget about it.

In fact, after Forza, Halo and Psychonauts this year I don’t think there is a single Xbox game coming to the One consoles.

One S|X will be obsolete within 4 months (they already are judging by the 30fps shit tier performance of Forza, Halo and Psychonauts).

Last edited:
Gun to my head i would say PS5. IMO Better exclusives and promise of exclusives. XSX does have some nice stuff on the Horizon though, but you could say that about PS5 as well :)

Honestly if you can hold out abit GFX cards are about to flodd the market and you could build a nice PC for cheap. Ethereum is moving from proof of work to proof of stake in March, which mean it cant be mined any longer. Alot of people will try to get ahead of this and flood the market with the cards, this should drive the price way down.

FritzJ92

This is the worst advice in the thread.

No Flight Sim on One X, ancient loading times and most games stuck at 30fps instead of 60fps. Moving forward no Starfield on One X next year, no Deathloop or Tokyo Ghostwire next year on One X.

In fact, after Forza, Halo and Psychonauts this year I don’t think there is a single Xbox game coming to the One consoles.
This is the last year XB1 is getting support. Next year they are moving away from XB1. The most recent announced game Redfall is only next gen, so is Starfield, Forza 8, Avowed, Hellblade 2, Fable and Perfect Dark. There is zero reasons to recommend an XB1 or XB1X. The bare suggestion should be an XBSX with Gamepass for 108P gaming.

Top Bottom