• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a Xbox Series S?

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I really need a console right now and I only have around $500. I can afford to buy the Xbox Series S and not the X, but I am trying to sell my iPad Air and Magic Keyboard so I can buy the X. Thing is, should I buy an S in the meantime even though I have a 4K TV? I know it’s not the best of the best like the X, but it’s what I can afford at the moment and if my iPad sells then I can cop an X and sell the S.

What do you think I should do? I mean, is the S so bad that I would regret buying it altogether? I’m pretty sure I’ll have an X soon, but I’m literally starved for gaming and I need something.

Last edited:
I have an X and an S. S is great as a secondary console and allows me to continue the game in another room. My x is connected to 4k TV, and S to a 1080p.

I love my S but I do notice the res difference. I was playing apex and I noticed it isn't as sharp.

Your so close to the price of an X. Just wait.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yeah, so I really need a console right now and I only have around $500. I can afford to buy the Xbox Series S and not the X, but I am trying to sell my iPad Air and Magic Keyboard so I can buy the X. Thing is, should I buy an S in the meantime even though I have a 4K TV? I know it’s not the best of the best like the X, but it’s what I can afford at the moment and if my iPad sells then I can cop an X and sell the S.

What do you think I should do? I mean, is the S so bad that I would regret buying it altogether? I’m pretty sure I’ll have an X soon, but I’m literally starved for gaming and I need something.
You said you need something.
You have a 4KTV and the XSX will do it justice so that's my choice.

OR

$399 PS5?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If I where you and would really want a console I'll try to wait and keep saving money for the console you really want. If you buy a system you are doubtful with you'll end up being just semi-happy with your purchase.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Buy the S and by the time you actually need the X the next XBOX model will be out so wait for that

turtlepowa

Banned
You said you need something.
You have a 4KTV and the XSX will do it justice so that's my choice.

OR

$399 PS5?
If he is low on cash PS5 with its 80 Euro digital games is probably not the best option.

@ Karmic Raze Karmic Raze
You could try to get one on Amazon Warehouse Deals. Got mine there for 360 Euro. Came brandnew just the packaging was damaged. But it's kind of hard to get one.

Karmic Raze

I might wait and see if I can sell my iPad first and weigh my options then. Because then I’d have around $1,300 at the beginning of March if so. I could get whatever console I wanted then, regardless if it was scalped.

Yes, it's a cheap and great console.
I bought a Series X and two Series S for the price of One Playstation 5 i sold on Ebay.
You're set for 5 years at least if you do that.

Aion002

If the S will end up being your main console, if you care about performance/graphics and having limited storage space for games: nope.

If you plan to get a ps5 and/or dont care about the potential issues: go for it.

I have one and I dont regret it.... The Game Pass is amazing, but I will get a Ps5 too.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
If you have a 4K TV already I'm sure you would rather be taking full advantage of the resolution and HDR? And it does sound like you might be able to afford the XsX soon, would personally wait until then.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Since you want to game now, and will have cash later, I would say get the s. It will hold its value pretty well, and in March sell it and get an x.

Also when you get the cash in March, if you can get a ps5 too, that way your can play all the best games on both systems. You'll be set fir a few years.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Get X and Game Pass. That's really the best option for those in a cash crunch. If you were stuck on a 1080p for the foreseeable future then the S would be a viable option, but you have 4K so I think you would regret it.

SkylineRKR

I have an S but PS5 is my primary system. Get an X otherwise.

399 PS5 is a great deal by the way. I hardly buy games on release these days and I prefer digital. So far I bought DeS and DMCV at launch which were priced the same as retail. I played through the PS Plus collection, Control and Destruction Allstars the last few months. Haven't bought a release since. So far I saved 100 bucks. S is also all digital, PS5 is only 100 more and its like the X the real deal.

399 PS5 + 299 S and GP 1 dollar deal is what I run right now. I get lots and lots of mileage out of both and I basically don't buy games (unless you count Lost Odyssey for like 6 bucks last week). I've got those investments back if I look at the PS4 launch (399, and bought like 5 full retail games within the first 2 months).

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It sounds like you really want the Series X and it will probably be your main console choice for the new generation. The Series S is either a compliment to your main console or if you aren't phased by cutting edge tech. Leave it until you get the funds, especially if you do already have an Xbox one.

If money is your pimary concern the XSS is the perfect console for that. If you care most about 4K graphics and the best looking visuals get the XSX.

BigLee74

My boy has an S, and loves the fast load times and the games running at 60fps. It’s a great little machine, and I’m impressed every time I see it. He does have a 1080p tv though.

If you have a 4K tv, it may be worth saving a bit more for the X if you sit close enough to notice the difference.

(Ignore stupid trolling comments above making it sound like it’s a 720p machine. Some games may dip there briefly due to dynamic resolution, but it’s not the norm.)

bitbydeath

My boy has an S, and loves the fast load times and the games running at 60fps. It’s a great little machine, and I’m impressed every time I see it. He does have a 1080p tv though.

If you have a 4K tv, it may be worth saving a bit more for the X if you sit close enough to notice the difference.

(Ignore stupid trolling comments above making it sound like it’s a 720p machine. Some games may dip there briefly due to dynamic resolution, but it’s not the norm.)
Don’t try trick him.
I’m not saying to not get an Xbox as that’s what they want. The X is a far better machine. If games like Assassins Creed and even Fifa struggle to reach 1080P it’s something worth knowing about before buying the S.

Read through the comments below and you’ll see people comparing Fifa to the PS3/360 generation.

Again, don’t be a dick and just give them the facts to let them decide.

SkylineRKR

On 1080p the S is absolutely a no brainer. But even on 4k its still kind of good. I think it does upscaling well, as lots of games do look extremely good. Gears 5 impressed me despite also playing on PS5. Games like Ori are native 4k on S, games like Gears 5, Yakuza are 1440p which is honestly good enough for a 55 inch 4k.

The S has all next-gen features; when I power it on i'm in my game within 5 seconds, quick resume is there, games like Gears 5 have 120hz and X|S games barely have any load times. Its just doing its stuff at a lower resolution. I expected somewhat more native 1440p output, and I expected BC on certain games to be better than One S. Well they're patching games right now, as the S can do far better. Gears 5 flat out beats the One X version for example, and it was one of the lookers of the previous gen.

GHG

Gold Member
Wait and get a Series X.

I can see most Series S owners regretting their purchase within the next year or two. Devs are already voicing their concern about it, it's not a console that will age well.

But I'm curious, what's the reason you "really need" a console right now? At risk of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong and offering advice that isn't being asked for, if money is that tight it might be better served going towards your future.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Wait and get a Series X.

I can see most Series S owners regretting their purchase within the next year or two. Devs are already voicing their concern about it, it's not a console that will age well.

I don't doubt this. X won't be 499 forever. When X gets a sort of slimline model or price reduction, i'm absolutely replacing mine. 2 years is fine with me. If a mid-gen refresh gets announced, the S is obsolete either way. Perhaps its a nice sub 199 system that plays Fortnite etc.

Do you not have an Xbox one in the meantime? There’s nothing you can’t play on it that’s not series x bar the medium.

You should wait though and sell a Kidney

GHG

Gold Member
I don't doubt this. X won't be 499 forever. When X gets a sort of slimline model or price reduction, i'm absolutely replacing mine. 2 years is fine with me. If a mid-gen refresh gets announced, the S is obsolete either way. Perhaps its a nice sub 199 system that plays Fortnite etc.

General rule of thumb, it's more cost and time efficient to buy once and buy well.

If you foresee yourself wanting the X at some point then save up a few more months until you can afford it then you can get what you really want from the moment you jump in. You can then enjoy your experience to the full without having to worry about additional purchases down the line.

The same logic of it "getting cheaper" and "revisions" applies to the Series S as well.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Don’t try trick him.
I’m not saying to not get an Xbox as that’s what they want. The X is a far better machine. If games like Assassins Creed and even Fifa struggle to reach 1080P it’s something worth knowing about before buying the S.

Read through the comments below and you’ll see people comparing Fifa to the PS3/360 generation.

Again, don’t be a dick and just give them the facts to let them decide.
Excuse me, did you just call me a dick?

Are all games 720p? No. Have I given a truthful account of my personal experience of a series S, without letting my fanboy agenda and hatred for a machine I will never own get on the way? Yes.

Now get the fuck outta here.

SkylineRKR

General rule of thumb, it's more cost and time efficient to buy once and buy well.

If you foresee yourself wanting the X at some point then save up a few more months until you can afford it then you can get what you really want from the moment you jump in. You can then enjoy your experience to the full without having to worry about additional purchases down the line.

The same logic of it "getting cheaper" and "revisions" applies to the Series S as well.

Yeah but I also replaced my PS4 with a Pro after 3 years. I think S will be phased out once Series X gets such a revision and drops in price. X kinda takes the spot the S currently has. And it seems likely considering the limits these systems have on fronts like DLSS.

S is really on the side for me. I only had a PS5 pre ordered. Its covid and all that I had the time to game a lot and wanted to try GP. Thats why I recommend an X to OP if he just wants a single system.

bitbydeath

Excuse me, did you just call me a dick?

Are all games 720p? No. Have I given a truthful account of my personal experience of a series S, without letting my fanboy agenda and hatred for a machine I will never own get on the way? Yes.

Now get the fuck outta here.
Calm down, yes you weren’t being truthful about the situation and tried to disregard my statement and now you’ve moved the goal post again to not all games are 720P when I never said they all were.

Just stop being misleading and give the facts.

TheKratos

No no no! I did the same and regretted every single day. There's no next gen game yet and the BC plays Xbox One S version of games.

Don't do it, save some money, buy the X. By that time the X will have more next gen games as well hopefully.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Calm down, yes you weren’t being truthful about the situation and tried to disregard my statement and now you’ve moved the goal post again to not all games are 720P when I never said they all were.

Calm down? You wouldn’t be calling me a dick (or implying I am a liar) if you knew me, so show some respect to folk you don’t know.

But humour me, idiot (you’ve earned that).

What misleading comment have I made? I simply said the S is a great small machine - I know because I have one in my house and have experience of it - but recommended the X. Where’s the lie?

On the other hand, there’s you walking in with your baby-sized feet, contributing a single sentence about 720p games. Who’s the one being misleading again?

You are an absolute walloper.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Stop being misleading? There’s literally a tiny percentages of games on the system that aren’t 1080p and one of the two that you mentioned has a quality mode where it runs at native 1440p. You’re the only one spreading FUD lol.

Old Empire.

Most gaming monitors with the highest refresh rates are 1440p. Surprised when i found out the PS5 not got 1440p resolution. That’s for another thread discussion.

if you not interested in 4k resolution, then the S is perfect for 1080p and 1440p gaming. But then again a digital version of PS5 is 400 pounds/ Euros/ Dollars, so if you got one,, you saving 100 over the Series X.

Series S is just a cheaper way to get involved with Xbox gaming. And to be honest i use a 1440p monitor and have the Series X but i not getting the full use of it till i buy a 4K TV. Series S probably be just as good as Series X for me right now?

Had 4K tv before but i broke the screen by accident.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
No one is going to put any effort into porting games to series s. They are going to turn the setting sliders down like its on pc and be done with it.. A proper port probably not going to happen.

Series s isnt cheap. I doubt its going to have any second hand value. Absolutely not worth.

drganon

If I was interested in getting an xbox, I'd save up a little more and get the series x, but that's just me.

Top Bottom