• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 3 Anniversary have been made, possibly as an Xbox One launch title?

zeexlash

Yes, it's a shame they didn't mark this milestone for what was a defining Xbox 360 game. Desperately needed it too, given how thin this year's line-up is.

peppers

Halo3 Anniversary has to happen at some point. However, 343i are very hard at work on the next Halo game, and I'd rather have them focus exclusively on that, they need all hands on deck. They're also making every Halo game backward compatible on X1.

That being said,
the year is not over,
believe

Akai__

Judging by the state MCC and Halo 5 released in, probably not.

Of course they have the ressources. lol

Wether they want to spend them and how they spend them is an other question.

Halo3 Anniversary has to happen at some point. However, 343i are very hard at work on the next Halo game, and I'd rather have them focus exclusively on that, they need all hands on deck.

Again, MS has enough ressources to pull both of, if they wanted to.

They're also making every Halo game backward compatible on X1.

Nah, that is being done by the Backwards Compatibilty team.

That being said,
the year is not over,
believe

lol

I don't know about launch title but it should have ABSOLUTELY have happened this year.

Crackdown 3 got pushed back and Forza is too niche to be the main Xbox One X Microsoft game this year. Crackdown 3 was also not enough. I think Microsoft is in for a rude awakening this holiday season.

levyjl1988

Banned
I remember getting my first Xbox 360 Elite (Kung Fu Panda Bundle and Lego Indiana Jones) because of Halo 3. I won that copy from my University's contest. A brand new copy. That was my best true exposure to Xbox. Man did I play so many hours of that game.

I would definetly drop $$$ on a Halo 3 Anniversary for nostalgiic sakes. That game defined my fps gaming. So many memories. Halo 3 was the pinnicle for me and defined gaming for a lot of people.

Graciaus

They should start with halo 2. They already did the campaign and some of the multiplayer. if they did the entire multi I'd never play modern halo again.

Then they can do h3.

I don't really see the point. Halo 3 is perfectly fine as it is, and already works in the MCC. It plays fine on Xbox One, even looks OK still really.

Trup1aya

Halo3 Anniversary has to happen at some point. However, 343i are very hard at work on the next Halo game, and I'd rather have them focus exclusively on that, they need all hands on deck. They're also making every Halo game backward compatible on X1.

That being said,
the year is not over,
believe

343 wouldn't be the ones handling the game.

Laws00

Halo 3 was my first halo game. I pre-ordered the thing on a whim while I was at gamestop. Ended up loving the thing. It changed how me and my friends socialized and played games together. It brought a lot of us together

i'd like to see it one day but i'm good. scared it might be rushed like master chief collection.

To say that Halo should've ended with 3 is madness. And not the OP Madness.

That's like telling Nintendo to stop making Mario games.

343i barely even worked on Halo CEA or MCC/H2A. They would obviously outsource as they are deep in Halo 6 development. Microsoft can hire Creative Assembly for Halo Wars 2, hire Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity for Halo CEA and H2A but cannot do same for H3A? Why not hire Bluepoint. It isn't a zero sum game.

More so the remaster. 4K resolution, 60fps, the power of Xbox One X to make it look amazing. Blur cinematics and perhaps a refreshed multiplayer based off of H5 engine. Instead there is nothing. Look at Mario Kart sales on Switch. Those people could keep playing Wii U mario kart no?

You think that MS doesn't have the ressources to do both? Especially when HCE:A and H2:A were both made by Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity?

Edit: Beaten

343i should not outsource a product unless they have thr time to personally be involved within it. That's how we got master chief collection

Akai__

343i should not outsource a product unless they have thr time to personally be involved within it. That's how we got master chief collection

I'll give you a list of all (known) companies that worked on the MCC and what they did and you tell me, who fucked up MCC:

- Sabre Interactive: Responsible for the H2:A Campaign Remaster.
- Blur Studio: Responsible for the H2:A Campaign Cutscenes.
- Certain Affinity: Responsible for the H2:A MP and maps.
- Ruffian Games: Repsonsible for porting the games to the Xbox One.
- United Front Games: Responsible for the UI.
- 343i: Responsible for the whole package, including the netcode.
- Microsoft Game Studios: Quality Assurance.

Spoiler:
It's not Sabre Interactive, Blur Studio or Certain Affinity.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'll give you a list of all (known) companies that worked on the MCC and what they did and you tell me, who fucked up MCC:

- Sabre Interactive: Responsible for the H2:A Campaign Remaster.
- Blur Studio: Responsible for the H2:A Campaign Cutscenes.
- Certain Affinity: Responsible for the H2:A MP and maps.
- Ruffian Games: Repsonsible for porting the games to the Xbox One.
- United Front Games: Responsible for the UI.
- 343i: Responsible for the whole package, including the netcode.
- Microsoft Game Studios: Quality Assurance.

Spoiler:
It's not Sabre Interactive, Blur Studio or Certain Affinity.

I don't understand what you're trying to say in this post.

There is every chance that had 343i been responsible for the entire thing that it would have worked better.

Magwik

Banned
Yes and no.
It would have been a great game for the year.

But Halo and 343 badly needed the break. Remaking another game after MCC would have been a PR disaster too.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
To say that Halo should've ended with 3 is madness. And not the OP Madness.

That's like telling Nintendo to stop making Mario games.

Sure, Halo has been sort of a cash cow for Microsoft so they couldn't put it down. But Halo 3 was the end, Master Chief finished the fight.

Bungie ended the series with a bang with no cliffhangers and nothing to tie up. The ending of Halo 3 was so respectful and poignant... it was the perfect end to Master Chief and Cortonas story. So much so I shed a few manly tears "knowing" that was the "end" of the story.

Well unfortunately Microsoft and 343 had to butt in and make 4 & 5, destroying any semblance of respect and poignancy of the perfect ending of Halo 3.

Hesemonni

Banned
Dat Halo:Reach though...

They had the perfect opportunity to make MCC into a complete Halo FPS collection and for whatever reason decided not to...

Cranster

Banned
Dat Halo:Reach though...

They had the perfect opportunity to make MCC into a complete Halo FPS collection and for whatever reason decided not to...
Looking back at the state of the MCC at launch it's probably a good thing Reach wasn't included. The only two ways it would have shipped with no issues is if it was delayed a year or two or if they instead released it as Halo 2 Anniversary and added the other games as DLC later on.

As a Halo fan though I would rather 343i focus on fixing the MCC instead of doing a seperate Halo 3 Anniversary release!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sure, Halo has been sort of a cash cow for Microsoft so they couldn't put it down. But Halo 3 was the end, Master Chief finished the fight.

Bungie ended the series with a bang with no cliffhangers and nothing to tie up. The ending of Halo 3 was so respectful and poignant... it was the perfect end to Master Chief and Cortonas story. So much so I shed a few manly tears "knowing" that was the "end" of the story.

Well unfortunately Microsoft and 343 had to butt in and make 4 & 5, destroying any semblance of respect and poignancy of the perfect ending of Halo 3.

Apart from:

forerunner1.jpg

Bungie had the intention of doing a direct follow-up to 3 as their last Halo game before changing to Reach, which is why that loose end was in there. Many of the story themes for 4 were driven from Bungie's ideas.

I would also say that Halo 4 both grew and tied up the Chief and Cortana story a lot better than 3 did.

jviggy43

As someone who doesn't enjoy the new direction of 343's halo, would have loved to get an updated 3. My friends and I would have been all over that.

But let's be honest, MCC should have been the game that got all the old halo people back in and they royally fucked it all up. In terms of ranking, I'd say a working MCC would have been the best route followed by halo 3 anniversary. Alas, were not getting either.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think not having a Halo 3 Anniversary for this year was an unbelievably huge mistake.

I was so positive that there would be a Halo 3 anniversary game in the time for Scorpio. But alas. That didn't happen. Would have been a good way to fill up that gaping hole in their fall lineup.

Agree with these and a lot of opinions on the first page. It's really disappointing that MS has not made a Halo 3 Anniversary or a Halo with gameplay from the first three.

I loved Halo 5 MP and probably put 500 hours in it but I miss the gameplay from the first 3. I don't buy the argument that the gameplay needed to be evolved or the laughable notion that the gameplay in the first 3 Halo's is archaic.

I think if MS actually put out a H3:A, or a new Halo with the gameplay of the first three, it would be more popular than Halo 5 in terms of player population etc.

I can't wait for Halo 6 but MS first party and some of the decisions made in the last 7 years have been puzzling to say the least.

Madness

I only wanted to say, that great Halo 3 camapign where we finished the fight,remastered in 4K and 60fps with new lighting and textures. All new Blur cinematics. Multiplayer wise, you remake 8 or 10 of the bedr Halo 3 maps,things like the Pit, Avalanche, Sandtrap and others. Maybe 6 for 4v4 and 4 for the last great BTB Halo had. Use the Halo 5 engine, remove somethings like Ground Pound or the aim down sights H5 has. Keep the scopes the classic scopes. They made the H2 BR, make that the starting weapon along with the new h5 pistol. Keep sprint if you need to appease those who cannot live without it and Thrust. But get rid of Spartan Charge. I would rather play this version of H3A MP than Halo 5 and other games like CoD WWII. Finish the fight in 4K, have a good solid year of Halo 3 style MP before Halo 6 comes. I honestly would have bought Xbox One X day one if that was the case. Now, just debating which shooter I want out of Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 or CoD:WWII while H5 gathers dust and no real reason to get an Xbox One X. Mario Kart Wii U brought to Switch with few to no changes and it is selling like hotcakes.

Zeneric

Yes pls. Cuz it'd be on PC too. I missed the Halo 3 party. Would like to check out Halo 3 (especially the multiplayer mode) - cuz almost everyone says: Halo 3 > Halo 2 and Halo 2 was my favorite multiplayer game.

Halo 3 Anniversary, if ever announced, would be my most hyped game since... well... Halo 3.

Looks like it's not going to happen.

:(

Top Bottom