• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 3 Anniversary have been made, possibly as an Xbox One launch title?

Kalentan

I'd honestly only buy a Halo 3 remaster if they completely overhauled the gameplay. So bad.

To go from Halo 2 to Halo 3... It's like, what happened?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Halo 3 is great, possibly the best game in the series, but I don't think anything could get me to play the Cortana chapter again.

Awful.

Jawmuncher

I'd honestly only buy a Halo 3 remaster if they completely overhauled the gameplay. So bad.

To go from Halo 2 to Halo 3... It's like, what happened?

The slower gameplay and the items (forgot what they were called) were never liked by me. Especially since they took away using X to get in a vehicle. I still to this day press X to try and get into vehicles whenever I play halo games.

People who wants to play halo 3 want to play halo 3. MC collection is a joke at this point, you cant find players on game modes you want, and you have to hope its even halo3.
Make it it's own thing and overhaul the graphics/60fps.

Akai__

Eh, I love the game, but I just never play my Xbox anymore. Halo is just a niche game now, time to accept it. Going back to Halo 2-3 style isn't going to change it.

I have accepted the fact that Halo has kinda become a niche game under 343i.

Admiral Hood Halo 3 cinematic
T5SRyVW.jpg

Admiral Hood Halo 2 Anniversary Blur cinematic
ch9p4Bi.jpg

I can handpick crummy looking bits in the first two Halo games as well. The human models in Halo never looked good until we got to Halo 4.

Halo 3 still looks pretty damn good. It's definitely not like going back to Halo 1 or 2. Most of the environments and lighting in those games is flat and dull.

Grisby

I dunno. Halo 3 is my favorite Halo but I don't quite feel like it needs the remaster treatment. I don't think it would hurt to have it, but I'm honestly more surprised they've gone so long without releasing a Reach HD deal.
People who wants to play halo 3 want to play halo 3. MC collection is a joke at this point, you cant find players on game modes you want, and you have to hope its even halo3.
Make it it's own thing and overhaul the graphics/60fps.
I've been playing some TMCC again over the past few days and have had a fair amount of games. Granted, I haven't tried doubles and some of the other playlists but I was able to find matches pretty quickly in H2, H3, Team Slayer, Action Sack, BTB. This is in America so YMMV.

It is halo cause it actually has the style of play that halo is, it's slow because you know where to nade and shoot/watch for people. It isn't broken cause the other side knows the same thing and when they are in trouble for spawn traps etc Being slow is not bad, it's not the same style but it is what Halo is to its core. You play that, aspect of it and with the map design you aren't exactly going to be having any issues getting into view of seeing others to shoot at anyways.

Halo 5 is all that is not halo for the most part.

This is silly. You're arguing that Halo 3's better because 'it's Halo, and here's why'. The classic Halo formula isn't necessarily better, but more importantly, there's little reason beyond nostalgia to think it would capture and hold modern audience when the rest of the shooter market - your Battlefields, CoDs, Overwatches, and Wolfenstein/Dooms - insist on high maneuverability and speed.

Halo 3 is slow. It's the slowest Halo by far, and Halo doesn't have to be slow. CE was crazy fast, and Halo 5 resembles that rhythm far more than Halo 3 does.

Madness

I can handpick crummy looking bits in the first two Halo games as well. The human models in Halo never looked good until we got to Halo 4.

Halo 3 still looks pretty damn good. It's definitely not like going back to Halo 1 or 2. Most of the environments and lighting in those games is flat and dull.

What did I handpick. You said it looks great, I just showed you the difference between a simple cutscene quality between how H2A was remastered and what Halo 3 still is. Yes Halo 3 is better looking than what CE and Halo 2 were one OG Xbox hardware. Yet Halo 3 looks very poor now. Bad textures,very low resolution. Even 1080p/60fps MCC couldn't fix how bad it looks even in comparison to Reach which was not remastered and Halo 4 which looked great. Just because you are okay with it, fine. I think it is deserving of it. Even in 2007 it wasn't a looker though.

Uh Halo 2As cutscenes were prerendered

And? My point is, I specifically said get Blur to do new cutscenes and cinematica for H3A. If you don't lile Blur pre rendering, do what H5 did and use in engine tl do cinematics like the opening intro to H5. My point being that it is exactly what I am saying, let's get the final remaster of the original trilogy. Xbox One X, the power available etc. Finish the fight.

This is silly. You're arguing that Halo 3's better because 'it's Halo, and here's why'. The classic Halo formula isn't necessarily better, but more importantly, there's little reason beyond nostalgia to think it would capture and hold modern audience when the rest of the shooter market - your Battlefields, CoDs, Overwatches, and Wolfenstein/Dooms - insist on high maneuverability and speed.

Halo 3 is slow. It's the slowest Halo by far, and Halo doesn't have to be slow. CE was crazy fast, and Halo 5 resembles that rhythm far more than Halo 3 does.
Halo 5 does not resemble halo 1 more than halo 3. But we all know that.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Halo FPS needs a bit of a break, so no. Besides which, it plays well and looks great on MCC.

Madness

https://imgur.com/a/uvSOb

Hey look I can nitpick too

Nitpick what, I literally showed you how we can get the cinematics looking if Blur did them again for H3A. Even in the photos you pick, look at Fleet Admiral Hood in one of them. Look at the quality of in-engine Halo 5 cinematica vs Halo 3 which have aged poorly. Halo 3 wasn't even a looker in 2007. I love the game, that is precisely why I wanted them to use Xbox One X to give us a quality remaster at 4k/60fps etc.

Halo 3 had some innovative features at the time and it's where most people jumped into Halo, but it's the worst-playing game in the series. I'd rather they continue on from Halo 5 which is right up there contending for best-playing game in the franchise.

Ive been scanning gaf daily in the hopes that some stealth H3 for Windows 10 announcement might come out this month. Id kill for that :(

daninthemix

I don't think 343 wants to touch another legacy Halo title after MCC and I can't say I blame them.

This may be true, but it sucks. For a massive company like MS to just shrug and go "well, I guess this is beyond our capabilities" for its most successful franchise is just pathetic.

Trup1aya

Undoubtedly.

It truly Sucks that we can't get the classic halo formula on modern tech. No H2A doesn't count because it was broken for months, they made stupid alterations to all the maps and they added a bunch of bullshit like grenade markers.

I just want a game that plays like halo. It's been 84 years.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Halo 3 had the same move speed as CE and 2. It might have felt slower because the FOV is narrower, which would obviously be remedied in a remaster.

CE's pacing was 100% due to having a powerful utility weapon, and simple movement mechanics. Halo 5 is extremely slow in comparison thanks to the weak magnum, the spawn timers, and the numerous tools given to players that allow them to draw out encounters. Halo 3 with BR is somewhere in between.

If run speed is something they felt would turn the players away, they could simply boost movement speed and damage values (which is what MLG did back then with much success)

jelly

I would be cool with a remaster within a remastered Halo MCC and make each game an event season, fix and celebrate each title, not a wide ranging mess. Other than that and a Halo 5 nod to Halo 3 they should move on.

While Blur stuff looks cool, I much prefer in game models, not Halo 3 stuff obviously! but something less jarring going from cutscene to game play.

I don't want to see a H3A, after both H2A and HCEA made some strange changes to the game that ruins a bit of the nostalgia.

I would prefer if 343i would made a real classic Halo for the next installment of the franchise. No more super-scifi powerranger battles, just classic Halo, where single shot weapons rule the s*** out of automatics, you don't need ironsight to hit your enemy and you are always ready to fight and not have to decide between moving and fighting

343 should develop a Halo 3 remaster themselves rather than shipping it out to another studio. Let them see what a Halo game is a
supposed to be.

Akai__

I don't think you know what that word means.

And I don't think you have been following the conversation. Of course "niche" is an exaggeration from Ramirez. I just went with it.

What we actually meant was that Halo 2 and Halo 3 pulled big population numbers. Something that neither Halo 4, Halo: MCC or Halo 5 do. Halo is just an other game these days on Xbox, while in the Halo 2 and Halo 3 era it was the game on XBL.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I would prefer if 343i would made a real classic Halo for the next installment of the franchise. No more super-scifi powerranger battles, just classic Halo, where single shot weapons rule the s*** out of automatics

That's still the case. Arm yourself with a pistol or DMR and you are at an advantage over automatics.

you don't need ironsight to hit your enemy

You still don't.

and you are always ready to fight and not have to decide between moving and fighting

If this is a problem, change your controller layout. Plenty allow you to manoeuvre and aim/shoot at the same time.

scently

They don't want to create even more franchise fatigue (among other things), as Halo 6 should be coming out next year.

While i love Halo 3, and would even say it was a high point for the franchise. Hell it was a high point for gaming in general. But the only thing to rejuvenate the Halo franchise and the XB1 would be just a good Halo game game. The past few games have been mediocre and not worthy of the franchise. The fact that they havent showed off Halo 6 yet makes me think its going to be a major overall. At least i hope so.

That's still the case. Arm yourself with a pistol or DMR and you are at an advantage over automatics.

You still don't.

If this is a problem, change your controller layout. Plenty allow you to manoeuvre and aim/shoot at the same time.
Automatics still have way better TTK on close distances

Every weapon is way more accurate in ironsight, that just doesn't belong in a Halo game

Compared to classic Halo you cant shoot while sprinting, clambering, etc... So you have to decide to move around the map or fighting

Trup1aya

They don't want to create even more franchise fatigue (among other things), as Halo 6 should be coming out next year.

I really don't think franchise fatigue is a thing.

People get tired of games that aren't very good. If a franchise keeps pumping out good games people keep buying it.

Mainline halo games don't come out very often. We've got a tone annualized franchises that have faired extremely well since Halo 3. Halo's problem has never been that there have been too many. 343 has just soured people on the franchise with a bad game, followed by a broken game, followed by a polarizing game with a crappy campaign.

Even when series appear to get long in the tooth- a jump in quality can jumpstart reception - no break needed. We've seen that with battlefield 1, and I think we'll see that with WWII for example.

Trup1aya

Demonstrably untrue, as the AR, SMG, and Storm Rifle have lower TTKs than those guns AND are easier to use.

You can't sprint, clamber, ground or thrust while shooting, i.e. Maneuvering costs the ability to shoot.

Top Bottom