• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should English be renamed American?

Whatever you say ya lobsterback. BTW I had the queen speaking in tongues after a long night of romping around, she gave me some lessons

Arya-arya-stark-30829268-500-281.gif
Had to google Lobsterback, never heard of that before lol, anyway..

She wasn't speaking in tongues, that was English and you couldn't understand it, and that's the problem with the OP's proposition.

Azurro

Banned
Actually, using that logic, English shouldn't be called English...nor should it be called American. It should be called Franca, Neutral or something like that, since there are way more non native speakers speaking English than there are English native speakers and people use it to communicate all over the world.

MilkyJoe

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was binge watching through Netflix. The English language is now essentially a language that is being directed and repurposed by the people of the United States, who are much more numerous and influential than our English cousins.

So I think at this point in time it would probably be better if the language was renamed American or North American to signify the difference in our modern day parlance and how it is the United States that represents the language the most.

What do you think?

P.S I don't want no hate from English people before you all get mad and spill your tea cups all over the floor. It is nothing personal it's just your country is very much an irrelevance on the world stage and language evolves.

You could always call your version My First English?

Ballthyrm

Actually, using that logic, English shouldn't be called English...nor should it be called American. It should be called Franca, Neutral or something like that, since there are way more non native speakers speaking English than there are English native speakers and people use it to communicate all over the world.

The DnD player in me say that English should be called Common so we can be done with it.

Top Bottom