• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocktober 2022 OT: Hope you wore your brown pants.

Kagey K

Banned
So with spooky season upon us I love spending October trying to get my scare on, it's my favorite time of year. The way some people feel at Christmas is how I feel in October and I completely immerse myself in everything horror.

So I thought I'd start a gaming thread similar to the movie thread in Off Topic to discuss everything horror in gaming.

So far I have my annual Dead Rising playthrough already on the go and just restarted Alien Isolation.

Thinking about playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite and giving Back 4 Blood another try.

Will also jump into Scorn when it releases and hope for a sale on The Quarry, Evil Dead and Fatal Frame.

After all that if I still have time I'll jump into the Silent Hill remasters, and possibly some other suggestions from this thread.

So what's everyone else playing to get thier freak on this month, and what games did I miss that deserve to be played?

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Last year I did a playthru of Silent Hill 3 on original PS2 hardware.

This year its Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PS1 (havent played thru it since the early 2000s) - and watching the Castlevania Netflix animated series.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After all that if I still have time I'll jump into the Silent Hill remasters
Don't do this to yourself OP

For what it's worth, Silent Hill 3 (the original PS2 version) just got Retro Achievements added yesterday if you can emulate it on a PC.

intbal

EOcYh7R.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gonna play through The Quarry with my girlfriend, I really liked Until Dawn for what it was so hoping for something as good.

Kagey K

Banned
Gonna play through The Quarry with my girlfriend, I really liked Until Dawn for what it was so hoping for something as good.
I'm hoping it goes on sale tonight. Xbox loves saving their Shocktober sale for the last week of October, but I'm hoping they do it 1st week this year instead. 1 week isn't enough time to get through the games I want to buy this year.

GymWolf

I don't really play scary games in october but i'm playing gta4 and the shooting controls and driving are nightmare inducing, so, in a way...

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don't really play scary games in october but i'm playing gta4 and the shooting controls and driving are nightmare inducing, so, in a way...
I dropped Vice City for Shocktober so in Nov I'll be going back and doing that, San Andreas and then 4 so maybe I can carry my nightmare into the new year. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Will try to convince some frens to come home and play RE Village all together, like we did with RE7 some time ago.

Just let them know what they're in for this time. It's like going from The Blair Witch Project to Evil Dead 2.

GymWolf

I dropped Vice City for Shocktober so in Nov I'll be going back and doing that, San Andreas and then 4 so maybe I can carry my nightmare into the new year. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well at least playing on pc at 60 frames makes the movements much more tolerable compared to console.

60 fps are really transformative for rockstar games.

Kagey K

Banned
Planning to play Alien Isolation, SOMA, and RE7 VR.

I had started Isolation years ago, but will be restarting as I wasn't very far in.
I just restarted last night because it's been years since I played and I couldn't remember how to do shit.

Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

30 FPS is the definition of true horror
Yeah, but rockstar titles have weighty ass movements and a natural input lag, the difference between 30 and 60 is way more noticeable than let's say horizon or more arcadey games.

Like rdr2 on pc is almost perfectly fine control wise until you don't have to aim or get in cover.

Last edited:

Isa

I'm doing something similar. Been watching horror/horror comedy movies, and atmospheric stuff, I always listen to more haunting and disturbing metal, and have a whole list of survival horror games and stuff with great atmosphere planned out. Plus working on my own tabletop game, creating stuff that'll really bring the terror. Amazing time of year. I love autumn!

Kagey K

Banned
I'm doing something similar. Been watching horror/horror comedy movies, and atmospheric stuff, I always listen to more haunting and disturbing metal, and have a whole list of survival horror games and stuff with great atmosphere planned out. Plus working on my own tabletop game, creating stuff that'll really bring the terror. Amazing time of year. I love autumn!
Come join us in the 31 days of horror thread. Even if you don't plan on watching 31 movies or 1 a day, it's all just fun for the month.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-ot-2022-nobody-is-coming-to-save-you.1642265/

Come Classic Film GIF
scary movie hello GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Play OMORI and get spooked outta your mind by the corrupted fucked up mind of a 16 year old who became a hikkikomori to deal with a trauma they had when they were 12

I do this every year too, for some reason the spooky time is the best. Though with games I’ve needed to begin in September due to how long some are.

I’m currently playing RE2 remake, it’s my first time playing. I’m not far in and am enjoying it, but i don’t think it’s going to change my opinion on survival/horror games (dislike). RE4 is one of my favorite games ever, but I hate how spongey the enemies in RE2 are and how they keep getting up after I waste 7 bullets in a single zombie. I understand that’s the point, but I can’t help but dislike it when you can’t kill everything even when making good use of ammo.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I do this every year too, for some reason the spooky time is the best. Though with games I’ve needed to begin in September due to how long some are.

I’m currently playing RE2 remake, it’s my first time playing. I’m not far in and am enjoying it, but i don’t think it’s going to change my opinion on survival/horror games (dislike). RE4 is one of my favorite games ever, but I hate how spongey the enemies in RE2 are and how they keep getting up after I waste 7 bullets in a single zombie. I understand that’s the point, but I can’t help but dislike it when you can’t kill everything even when making good use of ammo.
RE2 will react to how you play it, so if you consistently get headshots on enemies, the algorithm will make it so it takes more headshots to take them out.

It's supposed to ratchet up the tension as you watch your ammo drain as the zombies are still coming at you, but it takes me out of the experience and it sounds like it did to you, too.

RE2 will react to how you play it, so if you consistently get headshots on enemies, the algorithm will make it so it takes more headshots to take them out.

It's supposed to ratchet up the tension as you watch your ammo drain as the zombies are still coming at you, but it takes me out of the experience and it sounds like it did to you, too.

Ugh I know they did this in RE4 but it seemed less egregious. It was more so removing enemies and stuff when you were playing poorly. I don’t like being penalized for playing well though, so maybe that plus the lack of resources is what’s bothering me.

Kagey K

Banned
I saw Beacon Pines show up in the Gamepass list of Shocktober games so I decided to download it last night and give it a try.

I'm not very far (about an hour in) but it's going to have to take a hard turn to be a horror game. Right now it's very cute and humorous.

Kagey K

Banned
Why is Dead Rising a near perfect game even with its terrible aiming mechanics and horrible AI survivors?

Something about going from underpowered reporter avoiding zombies at all costs to overpowered zombie killer just appeals to me, and the psychopaths are just icing on the cake.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Alien Isolation is much more tense than I remember it being, they do a great job setting up the atmosphere at the beginning.
I cant do it. I just cant. I've got to just after you get the Alien following you about and I just cant handle it, i'm a baby

I need a Pulse rifle.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Yep, I found that awful as well. I'd completed the Leon campaign and dropped it. Such a shame though.

Kagey K

Banned
I cant do it. I just cant. I've got to just after you get the Alien following you about and I just cant handle it, i'm a baby

I need a Pulse rifle.
The alien is super scary in game and the AI can leave you in tough spots, but it really helps to feel that fear Ripley and all the other crew members have when watching the movies.

The empathy levels go through the roof.
Try the Fireteam game, it’s great.

I got Isolation as a gift a few years back, Steam clock shows 85 minutes played lol

Now with the Steam Deck it’s finally time to play this.
This is a good way to get revenge, but ot can be punishing too.

Top Bottom