• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinzo Abe: Japan ex-PM injured after reported gunshot attack [Update: RIP]

Tams

That's rather frightening. I'm afraid what he may end up inspiring others to do.
The worst part is there is little we can do to stop it. Even if our governments went all authoritarian.

This has been an issue since forever though. Homemade weapons are nothing new. And recent history has shown little to suggest attacks have become more common.

But when they do, you need an appropriate response. For prominent people, that's a security detail who actually know what they are doing. For the rest of us, that's a police force that has a visible presence (enough officers) and can respond rapidly.

Go_Ly_Dow

Attacks like this much rarer in Japan than in the West. I lived their for several years and whilst the society has plenty of weirdos, it's safer than the UK and far safer than the US.

Attack could have been prevented with more robust security measures.

So I don't think the Japanese Government need to introduce crazy new laws. More so more has to been done to solve their crazy levels of social isolation and work/life balance issues.

chromhound

Oh man, such a great day, I was not expecting that Hideo Kojima twist.
Did he tweeted anything about it? He probably receive a few messages about being shown as the gunner, right?
At least they didn't say the gun came from Fallout 4
bHT9SaN.jpg

Many people already knew, but it's 99% confirmed now that he was shallow up by the best he created.
Just another episode of japanese right wingers anti-communists using political violence.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Attacks like this much rarer in Japan than in the West. I lived their for several years and whilst the society has plenty of weirdos, it's safer than the UK and far safer than the US.

Attack could have been prevented with more robust security measures.

So I don't think the Japanese Government need to introduce crazy new laws. More so more has to been done to solve their crazy levels of social isolation and work/life balance issues.
Political assassinations were extremely common in Japan before World War 2. Since the American occupation began, they have been much less common. Perhaps they didn’t see the point. But that era is drawing to a close with the repeal of Article 9 becoming a necessity, and chaos has returned. Perhaps.

levyjl1988

Banned
I honestly did not expect an assassination to occur in Japan out of all places. I was expecting the USA, like an assassination attempt on Trump when he was president or something. I did not have this on my 2022 Bingo card of predictions to come true.

Toots

Gold Member
This is borderline sociopathic behavior.

But... You do you, bro 👍🏾
ADhETH4.jpg

I find your answer really condescending and authoritative.

This is borderline reseteraic behavior.

But... You do you, even if "you" is a humorless virtue signaling judgmental bro, bro...

As Desproges said :
"If it is true that humour is misery's courtesy, if it is true that the sacrilegous, blasphemous laughter, that bigots from all churches call vulgar, and of poor taste, if it is true that this laughter can sometimes desacralize stupidity, exorcize true sadness, and castigate mortal anguish, then yes, i think, we can laugh about anything, we must laugh about all : war, misery, death."

"S’il est vrai que l’humour est la politesse du désespoir, s’il est vrai que le rire sacrilège, blasphématoire, que les bigots de toutes les chapelles taxent de vulgarité et de mauvais goût, s’il est vrai que ce rire-là peut parfois désacraliser la bêtise, exorciser les chagrins véritables, et fustiger les angoisses mortelles, alors oui, à mon avis, on peut rire de tout, on doit rire de tout : de la guerre, de la misère, et de la mort."

ADhETH4.jpg

But... You do you, even if "you" is a humorless virtue signaling judgmental bro, bro...

As Desproges said :
"If it is true that humour is misery's courtesy, if it is true that the sacrilegous, blasphemous laughter, that bigots from all churches call vulgar, and of poor taste, if it is true that this laughter can sometimes desacralize stupidity, exorcize true sadness, and castigate mortal anguish, then yes, i think, we can laugh about anything, we must laugh about all : war, misery, death."

"S’il est vrai que l’humour est la politesse du désespoir, s’il est vrai que le rire sacrilège, blasphématoire, que les bigots de toutes les chapelles taxent de vulgarité et de mauvais goût, s’il est vrai que ce rire-là peut parfois désacraliser la bêtise, exorciser les chagrins véritables, et fustiger les angoisses mortelles, alors oui, à mon avis, on peut rire de tout, on doit rire de tout : de la guerre, de la misère, et de la mort."
Don't be an idiot.

Dancing on the graves of dead people in some contexts IS sociopathic behavior. On top of that, it also is ACTUAL (*checks notes*) "reseteraic" behavior. They're the ones who tend to dance on graves when it's someone they don't like.

You, and the user I was replying to, can meme all day, I don't give a fuck. It simply tells me something about you guys though.

Tams

ADhETH4.jpg

As Desproges said :

Zzzzz.

That's a wordy, mealy-mouthed way to say you just want to make an inappropriate joke.

Abe's blood has barely dried. Be patient and wait a bit longer.

Patience is a virtue after all.

And as you love quotes, here:

“If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” —A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Poo

Toots

Gold Member
Don't be an idiot.

Dancing on the graves of dead people in some contexts IS sociopathic behavior. On top of that, it also is ACTUAL (*checks notes*) "reseteraic" behavior. They're the ones who tend to dance on graves when it's someone they don't like.

You, and the user I was replying to, can meme all day, I don't give a fuck. It simply tells me something about you guys though.
Zzzzz.

That's a wordy, mealy-mouthed way to say you just want to make an inappropriate joke.

Abe's blood has barely dried. Be patient and wait a bit longer.

Patience is a virtue after all.

And as you love quotes, here:

“If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” —A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Poo
It makes you feel some type of way about us sure, but you cannot make it some empirical discovery...
I have no joke to make on Abe's death. I found it very funny that it made a french politician talk out of his ass (again), despite the tragedy of someone killing someone else.
You cannot preemptively judge something as good or bad it is unfair.
I don't think making a joke about a tragedy is equal to dancing on the grave of anybody.
I really don't think that it necessarily make the jokester a "sociopath" (that is fucking harsh).

You are right tho that the resetera people are the one who tend to rejoice when hearing about someone they hate dying. It is a despicable attitude and not what you did.

My point was that the problem is not the timing of the joke but the joke itself.

Let the man do his joke and if it is shitty and insensitive we can all pile on him telling him how shitty and insensitive he is.

Concerning you quote, it is lovely, but comparing your friend (as he is the one who doesn't want to listen) to an ass like eeyore is not really nice...

TL ; dr : i don't think throwing anathemas and forbidding anyone to do something as silly as a joke, even real bad, is a good thing, and silencing other from atop one's ivory tower is ever productive. And i always wanted to use the no fun allowed jpg so...

Top Bottom