• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V - Review Thread

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Any word on how are the dungeons, if there are any?
There are dungeons but I think it’s going to similar to SMTIV.

this trailer does show off one of the dungeons.

AAdvrHAACglx.jpg

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I've only ever played shin megami tensei games because I thought the persona games were mostly dating sims :messenger_tears_of_joy: with smt art.
Persona games are like dating sim structure but not very focused on romance. Most of the bonds are not romantic and none of them really have to be.

Although you know the first two (or three if you count IS and EP as two games, which you shoul) have none of that.

That's not it for me. Persona has style, moreso than just about any game I've played, including SMT. The personality of Persona is unmatched, imo.
I have harbored a hidden theory for years that the biggest reason the Persona games are popular is the UI designer. Makes very colorful and snappy UI designs every game and that's almost the biggest contribution to the sense of style and coolness in the series. The characters aren't really all that stylish. Its not like everyone is rushing out to buy most anime games.

SF Kosmo

I have harbored a hidden theory for years that the biggest reason the Persona games are popular is the UI designer. Makes very colorful and snappy UI designs every game and that's almost the biggest contribution to the sense of style and coolness in the series. The characters aren't really all that stylish. Its not like everyone is rushing out to buy most anime games.
The music is a big part of it too.

But I think the biggest thing is just that Persona is so character focused. The main SMT series isn't known for developing character arcs for its side characters and Persona 5 outside of the dungeons is like nothing but character arcs for side characters.

Fbh

That's a part of it for sure, but also really seemed to have nailed the balance between higschool simulator, RPG and "anime but not too much".
I know a lot of people who aren't traditionally into JRPG's but love Persona because of the whole daily life highschool simulator stuff. But at the same time the game does enough as a JRPG that most people that I know who are into the genre will still pick it up, I myself have played both P4 and 5 but I'd never have touched them if they were just about the highschool stuff.

Same with the anime style. It's japanese and anime enough to appeal to weebs, but it's not off putting for people who aren't into anime in that it's still somewhat grounded as it mostly takes place in the real world and doesn't go all in on half naked girls with giant boobs or awkwardly sexualized little girls.

Danjin44

I don’t understand how a spinoff of a game is way more popular than the main game.
It’s not that hard to figure out, SMT less upbeat like Persona 3-5 and much more focus on combat and it’s less forgiving compare to them.

SF Kosmo

That's a part of it for sure, but also really seemed to have nailed the balance between higschool simulator, RPG and "anime but not too much".
I know a lot of people who aren't traditionally into JRPG's but love Persona because of the whole daily life highschool simulator stuff. But at the same time the game does enough as a JRPG that most people that I know who are into the genre will still pick it up, I myself have played both P4 and 5 but I'd never have touched them if they were just about the highschool stuff.

Same with the anime style. It's japanese and anime enough to appeal to weebs, but it's not off putting for people who aren't into anime in that it's still somewhat grounded as it mostly takes place in the real world and doesn't go all in on half naked girls with giant boobs or awkwardly sexualized little girls.
I would argue Persona is actually a lot more "anime" than the rest of the metaseries. SMT usually stays lightyears away from anime tropes. That also includes the Persona games before 3.

I mean ffs the Persona games were adapted into anime. That never happened with SMT or any of the other spinoffs.

Danjin44

I mean ffs the Persona games were adapted into anime. That never happened with SMT or any of the other spinoffs
Actually there was OVA of original Digital Devil Story

digitaldevil10.jpg

Another OVA related to SMT.
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Tokyo_Revelation-297889632-large.jpg

and Devil Survivor TV show.

A14955-750881290.1403579818.jpg

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
It’s not that hard to figure out, SMT less upbeat like Persona 3-5 and much more focus on combat and it’s less forgiving compare to them.
It has nothing to do with difficulty as much as overall quality and production value and it shows.

Danjin44

It has nothing to do with difficulty as much as overall quality and production value and it shows.
Again look at SMTV’s demon models and animation of using spell and look at actual character models. Persona 5 heavily uses its 2D arts. And Persona 5 has no over world to explore just one city divided by small section.

The ONLY thing Persona 5 has over SMT5 is higher resolution.

Look at this video and tell me is there any Demon or even character's persona in P5 has this level of animation during gameplay?

Last edited:

Fbh

I would argue Persona is actually a lot more "anime" than the rest of the metaseries. SMT usually stays lightyears away from anime tropes. That also includes the Persona games before 3.

I mean ffs the Persona games were adapted into anime. That never happened with SMT or any of the other spinoffs.

For sure.
But as mentioned, IMO the "not too anime" is just a part of the broader Persona appeal. It's that + the relationship stuff + the highschool simulator stuff + the stylish presentation and music.

SF Kosmo

Actually there was OVA of original Digital Devil Story

digitaldevil10.jpg

Another OVA related to SMT.
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Tokyo_Revelation-297889632-large.jpg

and Devil Survivor TV show.

A14955-750881290.1403579818.jpg
DDS is a weird case because they're both based on books and the anime slightly predates the game. And Tokyo Revelation is also not really based on a specific game, but a spin off manga.

Got me.on Devil Survivor though, I have never played that one or seen the show.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Hmmmm, the only reason i got into persona more than i got into any other jrpg was the characters, so maybe this one won't fly with me

Danjin44

Hmmmm, the only reason i got into persona more than i got into any other jrpg was the characters, so maybe this one won't fly with me
I personally enjoy the story in SMT games but yeah they are not character driven story, SMT series much more focus on combat and exploration and story is much more focus on ideology and rebuilding the broken world.

Tschumi

I personally enjoy the story in SMT games but yeah they are not character driven story, SMT series much more focus on combat and exploration and story is much more focus on ideology and rebuilding the broken world.
See, for me, combat and exploration is historically what i love, but a series of games which have been abundant in these things have each failed to grab me in recent past.. p4G on my vita was actually something of a renaissance in my entire relationship to gaming lol, because i (and my girl, playing over my shoulder) genuinely wanted to hook up with chie and help kanji figure things out, etc, etc..

I think what I'm saying is games that would once have been guaranteed winners for me have been a waste of money in recent years, so yeah i need to be realistic about what attracts me at the moment.

That said, I'm certainly going to try SMT5, no doubts there. One does not simply ignore Atlus titles.

images

Top Bottom