• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V - Review Thread

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Looks like a decent game, not a masterpiece level like P5R though.
I enjoyed Persona 5 but are you joking me!!? Persona 5 did lot of things make the game too easy and Royal made it even worse by giving you even more tools to make you OP.

So......
haha-no-nope.gif

Topher

Gold Member
I enjoyed Persona 5 but are you joking me!!? Persona 5 did lot of things make the game too easy and Royal made it even worse by giving you even more tools to make you OP.

So......
haha-no-nope.gif

I didn't play Royal, but I thought Persona 5 was brilliant. Had great characters, story, and over all design was almost perfect. To each their own.

Shin Megami Tensei V's excellent JRPG combat and deeply rewarding customization shine bright, even when it sometimes feels like Persona without the heart.
SMT has always been the Kain to Persona's Raziel; darker and thornier, making it much more appealing to those who have the taste for it.
Gwob42w.jpg

Fake

That ign review is going to anger smt fans so much… over 6 mins of a guy saying how inferior it is to persona 😂

To be honest, I still trying to understand those kind of people that play just one game and think 'well, is not like "X"

Same happens in the Elden Ring gameplay. BOTW must be their first and only open world ever played, so for the sake of their ego they keep comparing game to game.

Leana Hafer must be in the same boat. Played only Persona 5 and gonna keep comparing other games with that. In gaming forums is rather 'normal', but seeing paid folks just given up their lack of gaming habit is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I didn't play Royal, but I thought Persona 5 was brilliant. Had great characters, story, and over all design was almost perfect. To each their own.
I enjoyed S.link system when it first introduced in Persona 3 but by the time we reached Persona 5 I got really tired of it, it felt tedious and worst part is no matter the S.link level each character have the main story still play out the same, while SMT games your choices does actually effects the main story.

Another thing I don't like is Once More system is absolutely inferior to actual Press Turn, you have too much advantage over the enemies, the whole fun of Press turn is what you can do so enemies can do to you, but Once More, Baton Pass and All out Attack throws all of that out the window, the enemies don't even stand the chance against you.

Last edited:

captainpat

I’m playing Nocturne right now but maybe I should just drop it cause all the reviews seem to indicate that the this one plays very very similar nocturne. I’m having a good time with noctune but 2 grindy very similar jrpgs back to back would be rough.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Baka gaijin reviews going on about grinding as usual, git gud and strategize already. Lol @ it missing "Persona charm", just gtfo.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Persona 5 was my first Persona game, and this will be my first SMT game. What can I expect from it/them going forward?
I never played Persona, so I don't know how different it is. But what I really love about SMT is its atmosphere, which I think is unrivaled.

If you play and like SMT5, then I recommend you later check out SMT 3&4 if you can. Strange Journey is also great.

Danjin44

I still remember reviewers called 13 Sentinels "Persona with mechs" People need stop calling every game "persona" just because high School setting.

The original Digital Devil Megami Tensei also takes place in high School but it doesn't make it "persona".

Mr Hyde

I've played a couple of Personas before but never Megami Tensei. Gives off similar vibe but this looks more interesting and unique. I think I'll give it a shot.

CGiRanger

Banned
That ign review is going to anger smt fans so much… over 6 mins of a guy saying how inferior it is to persona 😂
The ign review is one of those "too much water" reviews. People should just laugh at it, don't be mad.
I still remember reviewers called 13 Sentinels "Persona with mechs" People need stop calling every game "persona" just because high School setting.

The original Digital Devil Megami Tensei also takes place in high School but it doesn't make it "persona".

Danjin44

My problem isn't that they comparing to Persona, it actually smart to explains the difference between Persona and SMT for people who come from Persona games, but MY problem here is they criticizing SMT5 for NOT being like Persona, that were my entire issue lies.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So this sounds like a worthy successor to SMT3 more than anything else, with all of its strengths and many of its eccentricities as well (spare plot, slow pace, unforgiving difficulty).

That sounds pretty cool to me, especially considering SMT4 wasn't really.

Danjin44

So this sounds like a worthy successor to SMT3 more than anything else, with all of its strengths and many of its eccentricities as well (spare plot, slow pace, unforgiving difficulty).

That sounds pretty cool to me, especially considering SMT4 wasn't really.
I personally enjoyed SMTIV but yeah, SMT5 is bringing the best things about Nocturne and SMT4 to this game.

Bkdk

No PC version is such a big shame, SMT is actually meant to be played on PC due to much better UI managing demon fusion, customizing demons' skills etc. Also this type of game is perfect for mods and trainers. The open world will look so much better with PC's hardware power as well, I'll definitely play it but on console this is 80/100 at best while it can easily be 95/100 if the pc version is done right.

Ezquimacore

Banned
No PC version is such a big shame, SMT is actually meant to be played on PC due to much better UI managing demon fusion, customizing demons' skills etc. Also this type of game is perfect for mods and trainers. The open world will look so much better with PC's hardware power as well, I'll definitely play it but on console this is 80/100 at best while it can easily be 95/100 if the pc version is done right.
There two emulators running switch games perfectly, buy a copy and play it on YUZU at 4k

carlosrox

Banned
Ain't nothing like truly dark Japanese stuff. Japanese Demons with Japanese VO. The music's gonna be amazing.

People bitching about it not having Persona's tone are only gonna make me enjoy this more.

Their stupidity paid off.

Last edited:

Fbh

Does any review mention length?

The biggest issue going from Persona 4 to 5 was that they made it too long and stretched out.
Hopefully they didn't do the same with SMTV. 3 and IV were in the 40-50 hour range which was perfect.

Does any review mention length?

The biggest issue going from Persona 4 to 5 was that they made it too long and stretched out.
Hopefully they didn't do the same with SMTV. 3 and IV were in the 40-50 hour range which was perfect.
I thought someone said 50, but I don't know honestly.

Reactions: Fbh

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I knew this game was going to be good. I’m ready for the crazy digi demon world. I am not shocked at all that reviews are going to act like you never heard of this franchise before. They have to cater the review for their audience by revealing or describing all the aspects of the game. I don’t want it to be Persona.

Lognor

Banned
Great scores, I hope the PC port is real.
And SMT > Persona.
Is there a rumor of a PC port? I'm getting it on Switch, but if there is a chance I think there is the same chance that Persona 5 comes to PC and/or Switch which would be great for me.

Fbh

Is there a rumor of a PC port? I'm getting it on Switch, but if there is a chance I think there is the same chance that Persona 5 comes to PC and/or Switch which would be great for me.

Never count on Atlus games getting ported.
It's obviously not impossible but they are notoriously stubborn when it comes to multiplatform releases

Now if only we can get another Fire Emblem "without the heart." Three Houses had so much dating bloat added on.

Yes please.
Maybe they could make a split like SMT/Persona.

Have mainline Fire Emblem games that are focused on the combat with a bit of story sprinkled in them.
And then a separate franchise that has all the anime relationship bullshit.

Top Bottom